Pike Corporation Employee Reviews

Unstable and antagonist workplace
CAD Technician I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2019
NOTE: The following represents a position within Nashville, TN office of UC Synergetic, also listed as Pike Engineering and Pike Corporation

A short summary would be: there are plenty of other fields in which to practice CAD that are more stable and pay better. If one really wants to break into Outside Plant Engineering there are no doubt better managed opportunities as well.

CAD Technician in this context entails preparing 2D construction plans based on field notes and research of existing facilities records in the field of Outside Plant Engineering e.g utility poles, anchor / guying, and aerial / buried telecommunications cables.

The typical work pipeline consists of:

-Being assigned a job from remote SPOCs ("single points of contact") via email with supporting documents and target deadlines

-Conducting research based on the scope of work and conferring with field surveyors who visit the area

-Preparing drawings via BSTCAD, AT&T's proprietary version of Microstation v8i, hosted on a remote server. No formal civil drafting standards are implemented vs ad hoc adjudication by internal and external quality checkers for clarity.

-Submitting these drawings to an internal quality inspection for any corrections, then AT&T for approval and a grade that must meet contractual service level agreements targets with consequential fines for missed targets.

All in all, the work is highly detail oriented, requiring the digestion of a large body of technical standards and practices that morph often, and requires diligent task management where turnaround time is
  more... very tightly budgeted. It is visual and textual technical communication with virtually zero creative input involved.

Like many subcontracting shops, this role exists to produce work product as as accurately, quickly, and as profitably for all the stakeholders involved, which manifests in a number of unsurprising pressures on the employees.

You are paid by charging time to jobs that are assigned to you, meaning you need enough assigned work to achieve 40 hours while meeting the expectation to keep the hours per job as minimal as possible. How your time is spent is highly scrutinized by remote supervisors and it is necessary to scrupulously document it in order to be able to justify time spent and satisfy the pervasive suspicion that anyone is exploiting the company and carefully avoid exposure to liability for uncompensated work in light of outstanding lawsuits.

This office predominantly sources it’s workforce from staffing agencies under typical contract to hire arrangements and veteran AT&T linemen / engineers. When available work tightens seasonally, the bulk of these employees are laid off. This appears to be a built-in part of the business model and strategy, often justified as being “the nature of the contracting world”. Staffing agency hires are brought in ~$10-14 / hr. Cross training does entail marginal raises with title changes, but opportunities for increased responsibilities typically do not come with further compensation.

Strategic leadership seems reactionary or it’s agenda doesn’t just doesn't align with that of employees looking for stable long term employment with low turnover.

On office atmosphere, the typical open floor cubicle farm is usually very quiet and empty between regular turn over and field work and everyone leaving around 3. Aside from a solid office supervisor, the rest of management is virtually never present or only makes superficial visits. There is a clique of employees with a great deal of loyalty to management who regularly relay the coming and goings and conversations of the office.
Cons
Reactionary strategic leadership, low compensation, antagonistic workplace
If you love line work don't work at pike.
Class C Lineman (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 28, 2018
The most stressful job Ive had in my life. Formans dont do anything they let the A classes run the crew while the forman sleeps. Majority of the overhead A classes are all a bunch of drunk bullies and mentally abusive ( racist and sexiest also) I've had my life threatened many times just in past few months. They will literally make anyone a forman no experience needed.(watch your back) Do You love line work? Work at pike and you'll hate it and everything else in your life. Go anywhere other than pike trust me . Shovelling manure for 16 hours is more apealing then working for pike. The best people are on the under ground crews and they treat them like there incompetent and pay them less . Absolutely the most messed up company I've ever work for. Something seriously changed for the worse
with pike because I work for them years ago and it was nothing like it is today.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits. 401k
Cons
Extremely poor management on all levels
Its not a bad place to work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 1, 2018
It's not a bad place to work! Pay is good, benefits are not that good! Overtime starts after 40hr. Don't pay time off. If you get rain, they send you back home with what you have! Other companies pay you at least 8 hr. They will put pressure to finish jobs and that is not safe!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks lots of stress
Cons
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, MAFebruary 28, 2018
Great place to work but the raise is very minimal and the lack of better opportunities hurts employees. Need better communication between manager and employees.
Pros
great 401k and health benefits
Cons
very minimal raise if any at all
Horrible management
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAJanuary 2, 2019
Was on as a temporary contact to hire. Work got slow in the winter resulting in many of us on temporary contacts to be let go with no warning. Would not recommend.
Pros
Lax work environment
Cons
Horrible management
One of the most unprofessional companies I have worked for
Power Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 12, 2018
As a professional engineer I could not begin to describe how awful Pike was to work for. Distant, hard to reach managers and HR support, disorganized without communication between employees, poor management if there was any, treat you like a number.
Pros
Decent medical, but every company has this these days
Cons
disorganized, distant management, poor communication, rude to employees.
good money
Boom Inspector & Mechanic Helper (Former Employee) –  Creedmoor, TXJune 4, 2018
Company offered lots of hours, good pay, and hard work. Position required a lot of driving. Job required lots of travel. Job required overtime as well.
As a foreman lots of responsibilities
Foreman electrical distribution (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 21, 2018
Was mislead by managment when asked for transfer was told yes good to go. But was no where to go.so therefore felt like i was being pushed out by managment
Pros
A lot of responsibilities
Cons
Spanish is primary language. I dont speak spanish
Love the People
Administrative Assistant of Mailroom & Office (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 17, 2017
My co-workers are awesome. Very family like atmosphere. However, over the years additional responsibilities keep getting added to my daily workload without appreciation or compensation. Due to the fact that I primarily work independently, I often learn that my supervisor has no idea how much work and physical labor I actually do in a day.
A very enjoyable work environment
OSP Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 19, 2013
This company grows every day along with plenty of work that needs to be done.
Pros
Benefits, Relaxed enviornment
Good Company to work for.
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYOctober 21, 2015
I have worked for The Pike Co. for 3 yrs. I was hired to fill a position for their client. They are a good company to work for. They are flexible and have good benefits. They also have a Pike University program which I participated in and found to be helpful.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lack communication skills.
Okay company
Class B Lineman (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCOctober 17, 2016
Okay place to work for. I guess it all goes toward who your boss man is. A lot of storm work. A lot of working out of town. Decent pay and benefits.
Safety oriented and family-like
Stay Safe Solutions- Safety Trainer/ CDL Examiner (Current Employee) –  Monroe, GASeptember 20, 2017
I overall like the job. I just wish I could make more money for the qualifications that I bring to the culture.The supervisor expects changes to the schedule on a short notice. I can manage it. I wish I could use my customer service skills more.
Pros
All expenses paid while working. Flexible schedule.
Cons
pay, advancement
Great coworkers
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2017
First couple years the company was a family oriented company with a great respect for the employees and the job they did. As the company grew the respect for employees was changed into a more productive state to allow for expansions and purchasing of new companies.Worked with a great number of awesome individuals that made it easy to work with.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
At times stressful
great place to work
Contract Adnministrator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I loved my job and I was very good at it. Reviewed and processed Owner Contracts, Insurance , Bonds, project requirements for GC and subcontractors. Reviewed and processed Subcontractor Contracts, Insurances, bonds, sub-guard qualifications and all certified payrolls.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
no job security
decent place to work the management inst worth anything
Foreman/Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 2, 2013
you get to work outdoors in sorry weather and co workers are the best part about the job and learning different things.the management is all for them self and not worht the breathe theyve been given there bossy think their better than everyone there is no seniority in company its a buddy buddy system if your a buddy youll get moved up i watched them put a five year man in a 55 year mans place and made him retire early. and always pushing around their wait
Pros
pay is good
Cons
management is no good at all
I enjoyed working there
Foreman / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCOctober 18, 2016
At the time I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work itself. The work was hard sometimes and the weather was hard sometimes but overall a good job to have.
Pros
The money was decent
Cons
Wasn't moving up fast enough
Ok place to work
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 11, 2013
The day consisted of processing weekly union payroll and as long as I did that everything went well.
Family Oriented
Estimating AA/Document Controller and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the group in my department. Very flexible and a wonderful group to work with. I was with Pike for over 10 years, so that has to say a lot in regards to the kind of company it is.
Nice workers
C Class Lineman (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 23, 2013
Worked with a lot of nice guys while I was there. First job in electrical for me. It was good learning experience.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Away from home all week.