pike engineering Employee Reviews

Just dont
Power Engineering technologist (Former Employee) –  7001 pinecrest rdOctober 12, 2019
So started here back in February and was lead to believe it was a place with this great culture. Learned real quick on that one. Ive got no problem being corrected if Im in the wrong but dont come at me when im not wrong trying to make it seem I am in tbe wrong. Which is part of the reason I left. Got fed up with the team lead constantly looki g for reasons to jump my case and doing so even when I was not in the wrong. When I brought it yp to management that this was case and the guy constantly went to others in office going on about how "dumb" i am he seemed to get mad about it. So took another job that came my way. Turned in my notice i got escorted out and told I was no longer welcome on the premises or ever back to the company but as far as I can tell the guy who constantly ran his mouth was allowed yo get off scott free. The department had what 4 or 5 people this year leave becaude of him.
Productive and fun workplace.
Distribution Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXOctober 4, 2019
its a 10 hour day shift at the office designing with 30 mins of break. I learned how to design utility distribution power lines all across DFW. My manager does quality control and sends back my design for revision in which I learn my mistakes and advance my learning skills. The job also sends you out to the field for on site learning experience. My coworkers and the friendly work environment is my favorite part about the job.
Pros
Friday off
Benefits
A stepping block
PROJECT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 3, 2019
Good starting place. Have to learn the best you can. Team training environment, but processes change quite often along with the employees. High turnover rate
Great co workers and work environment. Less than poor management.
POWER ENGINEERING TECH (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 1, 2019
Started with pike in Florida and was given great starting pay and sign on bonus. Management was great with unlimited opportunity for advancement. Made everyone feel extremely appreciated and valued. Transferred to Shreveport office just under 1 year after starting with pike and was forced to get rehired through temp agency and given pay cut. None of which was ever indicated to me until the day before I started at the new office. After my temp contract had less than a week left and I was suppose to be “hired on”, the manager extended it another 100 days without mentioning a word about it. So now after almost 2 yrs with them I’ve received nothing but a pay cut and loss of benefits despite how highly recommended I was by even higher management than I have now. I’m now billed out at a higher rate than previously and making less money. Definitely something dirty going on there. Not to mention the mile long list of other things that I’m running out of space to type.
Pros
Great group of guys to work with. Extremely laid back.
Cons
Management is extremely poor and doesn’t care about employees
Terrible Company to Work For
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 26, 2019
Pike have a lot a racist people working for them and they push people through their company to have them complete work then fire them after you have made them several hundreds of thousands of dollars. You could be over qualified for their fielding positions but they will make up something just to get rid of you. If you could help it move on to another option because this company will screw you over.
Productive and fast paced
AutoCAD, Designer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 19, 2019
Good experience on work that I had not done. I had not worked in the utility side so it was a new experience for me.The most enjoyable part was learning about the process of utility design and construction. Productive management and good people to work with. Workplace culture was good and the hardest part about the job was putting together the work request and getting the process complete without errors.
Pros
free lunches, bagels
Cons
Fast paced for new hires
Standard workplace with positive attitudes and good mentors
Mapping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 6, 2019
Pike engineering helped propel my career by giving me opportunities for advancement and the chance to take risks on innovative ideas. Career advancement is there for those who want to reach for it.
A good starter job for engineering
TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 2, 2019
Good to start out in, but slow to promote from within (commonly extra responsibilies will be assigned with no or a very delayed reflection in pay increase). The work is very detail oriented, which often clashes with chaotic directions and updates given.
There are better places to practice CAD or get into the OSP field
CAD Technician I (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 30, 2019
NOTE: The following represents a position within Nashville, TN office of UC Synergetic, also listed as Pike Engineering and Pike Corporation

A short summary would be: there are plenty of other fields in which to practice CAD that are more stable and pay better. If one really wants to break into Outside Plant Engineering there are no doubt better managed opportunities as well.

CAD Technician in this context entails preparing 2D construction plans based on field notes and research of existing facilities records in the field of Outside Plant Engineering e.g utility poles, anchor / guying, and aerial / buried telecommunications cables.

The typical work pipeline consists of:

-Being assigned a job from remote SPOCs ("single points of contact") via email with supporting documents and target deadlines

-Conducting research based on the scope of work and conferring with field surveyors who visit the area

-Preparing drawings via BSTCAD, AT&T's proprietary version of Microstation v8i, hosted on a remote server. No formal civil drafting standards are implemented vs ad hoc adjudication by internal and external quality checkers for clarity.

-Submitting these drawings to an internal quality inspection for any corrections, then AT&T for approval and a grade that must meet contractual service level agreements targets with consequential fines for missed targets.

All in all, the work is highly detail oriented, requiring the digestion of a large body of technical standards and practices that morph often, and requires diligent task management where turnaround time is
  more... very tightly budgeted. It is visual and textual technical communication with virtually zero creative input involved.

Like many subcontracting shops, this role exists to produce work product as as accurately, quickly, and as profitably for all the stakeholders involved, which manifests in a number of unsurprising pressures on the employees.

You are paid by charging time to jobs that are assigned to you, meaning you need enough assigned work to achieve 40 hours while meeting the expectation to keep the hours per job as minimal as possible. How your time is spent is highly scrutinized by remote supervisors and it is necessary to scrupulously document it in order to be able to justify time spent and satisfy the pervasive suspicion that anyone is exploiting the company and carefully avoid exposure to liability for uncompensated work in light of outstanding lawsuits.

This office predominantly sources it’s workforce from staffing agencies under typical contract to hire arrangements and veteran AT&T linemen / engineers. When available work tightens seasonally, the bulk of these employees are laid off. This appears to be a built-in part of the business model and strategy, often justified as being “the nature of the contracting world”. Staffing agency hires are brought in ~$10-14 / hr. Cross training does entail marginal raises with title changes, but opportunities for increased responsibilities typically do not come with further compensation.

Strategic leadership seems reactionary or it’s agenda doesn’t just doesn't align with that of employees looking for stable long term employment with low turnover.

On office atmosphere, the typical open floor cubicle farm is usually very quiet and empty between regular turn over and field work and everyone leaving around 3. Aside from a solid office supervisor, the rest of management is virtually never present or only makes superficial visits. There is a clique of employees with a great deal of loyalty to management who regularly relay the coming and goings and conversations of the office.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
antagonistc producton/management relationship, reactionary workplace, high turn over
Terrible management, outside contract work
Power Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 26, 2019
Terrible, disorganized, unhelpful management and HR, spread out over several cities and states. All outside contract work, where they can lay you off any day, at any time. Substandard salary. Didn't even get to use benefits because they laid me off 3 months after I began. Would not recommend working here if it was the LAST company on earth. They lie about everything, so you never know what to believe from managers or HR.
Pros
ok for temp work
Cons
everything?
Stay away
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 23, 2019
Every couple months new employees would come and others would leave. Company felt like a revolving door. Pay is terrible also. Not a bad first job but would not recommend this job for long term.
great first time job
CAD DRAFTER/DESIGNER UC SYNERGETIC (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCNovember 4, 2018
this company provide me with training and help to me to better my skills. Management worked with me to improve my skills to benefit the company. I would like the company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not friendly for disability workers
Decent
Distribution Designer II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 22, 2018
Decent place to work for. Training lacks and overall project management is lacking. Seem to hire to fill seats instead of hiring experienced people. Overall ok.
read below
Senior Project Manager, PMO (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 17, 2018
management is clueless on proper management of company. there's an obvious problem with racial discrimination in my opinion, especially during current layoff
Pros
work life balance
Cons
management is clueless on proper management of company
Electrical Distribution Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 17, 2018
N/A Not interested in doing this. I have not been employed here long enough to develop an opinion on this topic. So far the company has honored their commitment to me.
not enough pay
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 17, 2018
retaliated against because of asking to renegotiate pay. poor work place, they put you down and find anything they can to complain about you even if its simply opening a door to have air flow
Cons
not enough pay, no advancement if female-EVERYTHING