Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

Found 1,626 reviews matching the search See all 1,657 reviews
Kind of stressful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Skippers, VANovember 10, 2018
Managers show favoritism. Don’t like to give hours. Always complaining, expect you to do so much and pay so little. Don’t want to give pay increases..
Good company depending on management
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnsboro, SCNovember 6, 2018
Good place to work need better people in management. Need better communication throughout store . Good for students to work there . Flexible with work schedule
Pros
Discounted food, health care 401k
Cons
Work done there
Run the other way.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 5, 2018
No work/life. The workload is frantic. Do not provide the tools necessary to get the job done. Labor cut to the bone so that customer service suffers and burns out employees. Nobody is happy to work there.
Very laid back workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GANovember 5, 2018
It was good I had some family issues so I had to leave, wish I could go back but I think I messed up sort of most of the other employees were really nice Management was amazing they made me want to come to work because it was not a toxic environment
Good pay, great environment, great management
Janitorial Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Lake Station, INNovember 3, 2018
The pay is good, the environment is great, and the management is amazing. A great place to work. Janitorial Maintenance has a lot of work that comes a long with it, but the pay and team effort is worth it. Plus I get free drinks and a discount on food items.
Pros
Pay, Environment, Management
Cons
Stressful, A lot of work to do
Great Company that exists to serve the needs of its customers
Carrier Advocate Supervisor, PILOT FLYING J (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 2, 2018
A typical day at work is fast-paced with a focus on making sure fuel is available for sale at 750 locations in the US and Canada. I learned that the supply factor of commodities like fuel drive economics from day to day. Management is very competent, and the workplace culture is hard to beat. The most enjoyable part of the job is executing to goals, and being entrusted with new ones.
Pros
company events, philanthropy, employee discounts
Fun work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Raphine, VANovember 2, 2018
Great place to work, good benefits, co workers and management. Very good hands on training, inside/outside job. Customers love coming here because of the respect and honsetly of the workers. Very out going management.
Pros
Breaks including lunches
Cons
Very cold outside in the winter
Stressful and Non Organization,Poor Management
Crude Oil Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Stockdale, TXOctober 30, 2018
Management would lie to cover their themselves, tell you one thing and do another leaving you hanging, they'd hide at night during shifts, and wouldn't contact you back in times of need, whether it be need of direction, and or, truck issues, then if you complained about it you'd be vindicated for it. You'd have to complete 16-18 loads a week to make an average of $1350 a WK. After taxes...Loads were 1.5-2hr. turn arounds only allowing you to get 3 loads legally and if Everything went smoothly with no waiting at Load and Unload Depots...Which was Unlikely! Drivers would tear up trucks with less than 2500 miles on them...and Noones held accountable bcuz non assigned vehicles etc. Owned by one of the Richest Men in this Country, and by far the Cheapest in Pay for the work put in....
Pros
Free Coffee.
Cons
Definitely poor leadership...
It was a Great place to work at in the Past
Currently work as a General Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYOctober 29, 2018
They have a program that is called PIP, not sure why they offer it because usually whenever a person gets near it they will weed you out. I have worked for many of the regionals for this company it really depends on who you are currently working for how is the job. At points of my career with them I loved my job. At the end of my journey with Pilot, I feel that the company has lost there way and disrespects their current management and team members. I truly think at the end of the day if they keep this approach they will hurt them self with growth.
Pros
bonuses but they take it away
Cons
stress and alot of work hours
productive fun environment
deli/maintance (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVOctober 29, 2018
i like how i was working outside cleaning all the time. time went fast cause it was always busy but it was awesome cause you can get close with alot of people.
Toxic workplace, poor management, poor training
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WAOctober 27, 2018
I genuinely just wasn’t trained. They taught me basics of how to work the till, but beyond that didn’t teach me anything until it “came up” but when it came time that I needed help, they would roll their eyes, scoff, exaggeratedly sigh, and genuinely seemed upset that I was asking for them to teach me how to perform a task. Rules were never enforced fairly or consistently along with rules not being relayed to employees, the GM picks favorites, GM lies and often makes jabs at others along with another manager that works there, they both consistently contradict themselves and don’t actually know what “the rules” are, GM would schedule you for new shifts without consulting you first, would change your schedule, etc.
Pros
I got discounts on deli items, subway discounts, and free drinks
Cons
Toxic, poor training, poor management, favoritism, unprofessional behavior
2 years for nothing
Food service lead 2 (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro tnOctober 27, 2018
I worked for pilot for 2 years yeah I know that's not long but it was for me with all the stress I had to put up with with the most obnoxious person I've ever had to work with with the most non communicating upper management who decides it's a good idea to demote 2 food service leads (shift managers) to promote 1 not very bright if you ask me oh and they say family before work I call bs.
Pros
1/2 off food and free sodas
Cons
Managers who think they're better than you
Pilot is a fast paced job in customer service. You are dealing with otr drivers and travellers. Must be friendly and accurate with money.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, KYOctober 26, 2018
Pilot is a fast paced environment working with over the road drivers and travelers. Must be friendly and accurate with money. The store manager was awesome but corporate sucks
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Alright if you’re the standard type but if you want more than no would not recommend
Crude Oil Driver (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 26, 2018
It’s just not a good company and I don’t like the underpaying for a hazardous materials being transported. You have to work a lot hours to see a little success. Money 💵 comes after you get to overtime.
Pros
Get about 5$ off lunch on 1 shift
Cons
You have to work a lot of hours to see any money.
Fast paced environment
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 25, 2018
If you have a accident and die your family only receive 40,000 dollars for your funeral ,some stores the manager won't even get you a free drink, after Warren Buffett buys 80 % of the COMPANY ,more work less money
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Not enough money for your work and not family time
loved working there
Fuel Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, GAOctober 25, 2018
Great environment, had alot of laughs up there. I had great co workers, and made alot of new friends there. I'd recommend this company to anyone who is looking for an awesome business to work for.
Decent
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 24, 2018
Ok experience, no advance in growth with company, lack of leadership and I would like to present that it' need better wIth handling co workers and scheduling work shift and hours.
Worst place ever youre treated like a number
Driver (Current Employee) –  Douglas, WYOctober 23, 2018
Absolute joke terrible place to work here treat their employees like trash. Laid off due to work but I'm an honest person and just speaking the truth!
Pros
Cons
What a nightmare
Good company low pay
Data Scientist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 23, 2018
Aside from the most recent layoffs, while working at Pilot Flying J felt very secure . They were about 20k below what was competitive. When I said I was leaving Pilot then offered me another 20k to keep me, at that point had already accepted the offer form the other company. It is a fun company to work at though.
Do not apply
Deli lead (Current Employee) –  Bunkie, LAOctober 23, 2018
The management sucks. Does not care about anyone but themselves and will throw you under the bus real quick to save there necks. Plus can't get corporate to do anything to fix the problem. All they care about is money.
Cons
No one cares about you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pilot Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight