Pinellas County Government Employee Reviews

Most enjoyable part of the job were the people
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I served, from team mates to customers across the company. There were great training and wellness programs.
Pros
Wellness Programs
Cons
Politics
Unhealthy work environment
Human Services (Current Employee) –  Pinellas CountyFebruary 9, 2018
A typical day at work will consist of your normal day to day operation and a few several interruptions from your supervisor or leadership of changes that will change your day or week. Regardless of having the necessary tools, leadership makes this position extremely stressful. Workplace culture is government funded and oriented. Some good employees and coworkers. Some departments are personally ran. Hiring friends into higher positions. the hardest part about the job is being undervalued and over used in areas that were not addressed originally in the job posting. This is very similar with other jobs but this may possible be inefficient and failure to properly utilize personnel. The most enjoyable part about the job is assisting residents of the Pinellas County, regardless of the sometimes tense, confusing, work environment to include leadership and management.
Pros
Healthcare
Not a healthy place to work
Traffic Signal Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Management in this department could care less about the morale of its workers they encourage others 2 not get along very competitive Cutthroat environment not a healthy workplace unfortunately.
I would be very hard-pressed to recommend this job to anyone looking to get into this field. The pay is extremely low for the work that is required of you you are nothing more than a contractor that builds intersections for the county very little brain work mostly braund for $16 an hour hardly gets it for me.
Pros
Lots of time off great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Great Co - Workers always willing to lend a hand in any situation that you might be in all you have to do is ask. Customers were great to deal with also.
Government job
Insurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 17, 2018
I personally found my job rewarding. Pinellas County encourages personal growth and advancement for their employees. There are limited positions available which are budgeted for in advance making hiring new employees a difficult and long term project.
Pros
Educational opportunities & variety in work day
Cons
Time consuming authority & approval process is sometimes frustrating
Great family environment to work in
Supervisor Building Services & Building Violations (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Pinellas County has something about it. Hires the most friendly and hard working people that you call family. Fast paced, you learn a lot about the community. It takes certain individuals who want to work for their local community. Dedication is what I see around me. Many people who work here are married 30+ years and many work past average retirement age and enjoy people. Really enjoy working for the county and proud to be a part of it.
Pros
vacation days and benefits
Cons
none really
Dead end advancement
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 11, 2017
I really have no compliants about working for Pinellas County. I am just not being used to my fullest potential, even the managers ask me from time what am I going to do. They have even told me that they are holding me back.
Pros
It is a great place to work.
Cons
You are working at a County Jail.
Not a good place to work
Mainframe/Unix Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 7, 2017
There was a lot of office politics and favoritism. Different opinions were frowned upon. Quarterly reviews were awful and not accurate. Very poor moral.
911 Operator
911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 12, 2017
911 is a difficult job. It is hard to speak with people on a day to day basis that are having emergencies. The environment can be fast paced and very hectic, or slow and tedious. You must be able to be available during all major events (such as hurricanes).
Fun Workplace with tons of learning experience
Beach Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 12, 2017
A good day would be patrolling the beach for anyone that needs assistance and heading to emergency calls to help anyone in need of medical help. The hardest part of the job is the heat.
Pros
free lunches occasionally
Cons
short breaks, heat
Poor Management
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 30, 2017
Risk Management is a terrible department within Pinellas County. Management picks favorites and bullies others with her friends in the department if you are not part of their click...moved to another department to get the heck out of there
Pros
Job security with County, benefits, location
Cons
Manager and her bully friends
Pcso
Detention Corporal (Current Employee) –  Largo,FLAugust 28, 2017
Excellent benefits packages and very competitive pay. There is a large degree of stress, which you really need to know how to manage otherwise it will really lead to a negative experience.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
Stress
Teaching
Instructional Staff (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLAugust 3, 2017
The only downside is lack of job security and not knowing if units will be cut the following year. Generally I loved improving my teaching skills and rising to the challenges of showing improvement in my students.
Pros
holidays and vacation time
Not a fun place to work
Land survey tech 2 county inspector (Former Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLJuly 26, 2017
Stuck at same salary for ten yrs.Management terrible.No place to move up, Benefits were not very good anymore. Worked by myself for at least 10 yrs, not a very fun place to be. glad I left. Lots of stress. Wasn't that way my whole career but a lot of it.
Overall great company
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 19, 2017
Overall a great company with a large compensation package and very fair work/life balance. Ability to grown and advance depends on the department that you grow with

The company rewards employees that stay for 30 years, which is a good and bad thing. It's bad because you sometimes end up with low-performing employees that have been there for 20+ years, but can't be fired, so you have to carry the slack. You also end up working with employees that are stuck in their ways because they've been doing it the same way for 20+ years. If you only intend to stay <5 years, then this is a great place to work.
great place
HVAC Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 11, 2017
Great place to work. People are nice. Work was easy. No complaints. Will recommend to others. Worth the benefits.that is all I have to say about it. thanks
summary
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 19, 2017
I love working with families and the community. I moved and had to change jobs, I never worked for this company. I am not sure, I have never got a job through INDEED
School level
ESE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 21, 2017
At the school level I am very satisfied, however, pay rate ereqyired that I work multiple jobs in order to support a family. It is unfortunate that school level employees/ teachers are not valued as much as district leadership.
Pros
Great school level leadership
Cons
Minimal annual pay increase
Somewhat productive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLMarch 12, 2017
May have room for advancement for the hardcore power seekers, but comes at the expense of others and you may end up teaching in a location that is not preferable nor desirable
productive and fun working place
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 5, 2017
salary was ok and work atmosphere is relaxed. A lot of team work.
Friendly corworkers.medium to large environment. Both oltp and analitical environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pinellas County Government. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight