Pioneer Human Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nice place to work just do not get too relaxed.
Federal Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 12, 2018
There is time to chill for sure, as long as you get what is needed done, not to mention getting it done correctly. Your coworkers are on your team, just do not forget what you are suppose to be doing and the rules. You are watching over Federal Prisoners that will try to sneak right by your rules at every chance they get. They are not all the same people by any means and remember that ultimately you are there to help when possible. You might feel not all deserve your help but some most certainly do. Be stern but respectful and you will have respect shown to you, making your job so much easier. No matter how you feel you can accomplish your jobs duties in full.
Stressful, grant funded non-profit
Vocational Specialist/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 26, 2018
The culture was great. I worked for Workforce Development and it was stressful because it was ran by the grant. I loved the demographic of people cycling through the Warehouse but the random UA's was hostile . They pulled your name out of a machine and you had to do a UA. We worked in the business offices, not on the machines. They only put our name in the machine because they can't pulling up the same people every month. It was ridiculous. People were getting fired for Marijuana which made it big turnaround.
Helping clients is my main priority
Residential Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  201 Lila Ln, Burlington,wa 98233May 17, 2018
I love helping the clients detox and get their life backs in order, I answer the phones, document everything that happens with the clients arrange appointments and schedule appointment also call the cab to pick the clients up,
I was given a chance and gained work experience
Dishwasher/Back-up Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2018
I went to work for pioneer human services because they allowed felons coming out of prison or jail to learn job skills and help them turn around and push them to live a positive life and am so much grateful for pioneer for showing me away to stay out of prison and jail. Even though being hired and getting minimum wage starting at 8.75 an hour. One is more happy about learning new positive life habits and work ethics to help you succeed and reach more goals to want a better life away from crime and help you to become a better person for your self. I was in prison for 16 years and if it wasn't for pioneer opening a new door for me I would have probably gone back because of having no job skills having it to make it impossible to get work
I recommend pioneer for anyone that wants to learn a job skill that desired to stay out from incarceration
Pros
Helpful with job training
Cons
You cant seek other help outside of pioneer
Chemical Dependency Professional Trainee.
Chemical Dependency Professional Trainee. (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 6, 2018
I was there with a great director and staff at the time, that can and did change. It is a good company for a starter positions. It is also a large company that can offer clients many things from housing to work and chemical dependency and mental health. One can get lost in the bureaucracy of company politics and attitudes. But over all a good company.
Pros
Great supervisor
Cons
Not knowing enough
Starter Job
Distribution Support I (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAApril 30, 2018
Good place to start in the Distribution warehouse jobs lack of training from Management when it gets really busy. Love the hours and the benefits are not bad.
Atmosphere
Residential Treatment Specialist (RTS) (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 11, 2018
During my employment with Pioneer, I felt I belonged to a family. As with families, we were not always 100% functional but we got through the rough parts and came out the other side better. We learned and grew from our mistakes and our accomplishments. We organized and re-organized, made charts and and graphs for improvement; some worked, some didn't; it was the effort behind it all. What a great place to work if you take the time to settle in and get to know each individual.
A good place to get started in work field
Production Assistant., Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 4, 2018
it was a good place to work. they had a good break area for lunch & computers to use when your on break. they had room for growth and the job was very fast pace.minimum room for error
Pros
Friendly work environment & computers in the break area
Cons
the dust from the job getting into your lungs
disorganized and horriblemanagement
Health Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sedro-Woolley, WAMarch 28, 2018
A typical day at work was stressful, disorganized and full of state violations. The building was full of black mold, the manager was not following procedure and expected other employees to brake rules also. we would get written up for her own mistakes. also after being hired they forgot to mention that they might be shut down. I would not recommend working at PCN
Positive Mission Statement, But With Poor Execution
CASE MANAGER, SPOKANE RESIDENTIAL REENTRY CENTER (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 27, 2018
Pioneer is a non-profit that has the best intentions. However, poor management, pay and company infrastructure lead to daily issues that are felt by both staff as well as program participants.
Programs frequently close, uncertain job security.
NAC Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 14, 2018
Excellent benefits including tuition reimbursement, 10 paid holidays, inexpensive health care with low deductibles. Pay is not competitive. Unstable funding for programs cause lay offs. Generous with trainings. The director at my facility, which is now closed, was fair, friendly, and an advocate to improve wages.
Pros
Healthcare and paid time off
Cons
Job security depends on program funding
Good job, could be better.
Residential Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 19, 2018
With BRS teen boys, you don't know what you're going to get. You watch them, some days they are great, and some they are beating each other or attacking staff. I learned Right Response, got certified for CPR, First Aid, and Bloodbourne Pathogens, and got a food workers card. This job requires patience, self-learning, on-job training, fast responses, and sometimes working out petty problems among the boys. Management is kind and tries to be fair. You will be overworked, as with any other care facility with behavioral teens. The team meetings are geared towards bringing management together with the staff, and getting staff to work together more smoothly. The hardest part of the job is either the long hours that sometimes happen where the boys are in their rooms and there is nothing left to clean or write, or unexpected increase in hours when you previously had plans (unexpected hour changes, late co-worker, crises that management is unable to get there for so you can go home). The most enjoyable part of the job is the boys, usually, they are great boys. You get to play games with them, go to the park, take them to movies, take them to sports events, and you don't have to pay, though, you do have to keep any eye on them, they are sneaky.
Pros
Free food (any meal you are there for), insurance, 401b, some free movies and sports events.
Cons
Long hours, behaviorally unstable teens (dangerous), unexpected hour changes (often with no notice), no breaks (even though they tell you to take breaks, no one comes in for it, and the boys refuse to go to their rooms so staff can actually get a break)
High turnover you're dealing with you from 12 to 18 with addiction mental health and homeless issues
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 14, 2018
Spruce Street can be very challenging stressful environment do you have to have thick skin definitely boundaries in conflict resolution excellent communication skills inpatient it's a very rewarding job being able to help but you achieve and succeed your goals and dreams
Spruce St. Facility
Admin Assistant/Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2018
This is a great place to work. The population that this facility serves can be stressful but typically the staff handle it well. The admin staff are generally understanding of the difficulties of working the "floor" at this type of facility. Pioneer provides strong benefits and PTO options along with a generous match for retirement savings. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Stress can lead to disagreements between staffers
stressful game of catch up
Manufacturing Support (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 2, 2018
I love what the company is aiming to achieve but the implementation is poor. The leadership (while I was with the company) was inconsistent with the values and goals of the company.
Pros
Aims to help disadvantaged, willing to work with those who need a second chance
Cons
Toxic company culture is not constructive for the demographic the org wants to work with.
ESL teacher
Teacher Aid (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAJanuary 22, 2018
This has been an excellent and supportive work environment. Although the work is difficult, working with a supportive and efficient team has made it enjoyable and rewarding.
Interactive job monitoring residents in Work Release program
Resident Monitor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Orchard, WAJanuary 19, 2018
This was a re-entry program for the Washington Department of Corrections. Monitor and correct behaviors, assign work details, modify unacceptable behaviors.
The staff worked well together for the safety of the community.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
Low pay
Overall it's a good business to work for and the staff is very friendly and helpful
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDDecember 2, 2017
Overalll it's a good business to work for and also to grow at. They are willing to tke there time out to help you and show you how to do the job in a fast paced environment.
Not a good place to work
RM (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 30, 2017
Poor management doesn't know how to run the facility they are never out to help you at all. No pay advancements either the management has favorites and thinks they know everything.
Gave me a start
Administrative housing coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 23, 2017
this company is a great stepping ground to start many different carriers started out in the machine shop and with my schooling that they pay for i am now on my way working in housing