Piper Jaffray Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Review of Piper
Fixed Income Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 24, 2018
As an intern we were required to come in at 7:00am we would then log in to our Bloomberg Terminal where we would then work on various project throughout the summer related to the system. We would also job shadow a different job on the trader floor everyday such as a fixed income trader, a fixed income salesmen, Underwriter etc. In addition to this we would experience product teach-in's on each specific fixed income product to get a better understanding of its usage and impact. Piper offers all fixed income products but specializes within the municipal bond product. In addition to our teach-ins, we interns were given the opportunity to job-shadow various roles on the trading floor such as:
1. Data Analytics
2. Fixed Income traders
3. Fixed Income Salesmen
4. Underwriters
5. Back office team
6. Middle market team
I was also given the opportunity to participate in a speaker series. Every Thursday, all interns within Piper Jaffray & Co. would meet with a member of the executive team. We were able to ask questions and connect with powerful players in Piper’s pipeline.

The culture is very accommodating for young professionals striving to learn about the investment banking world. The people are always willing to talk and always ready to give words of advice.

The hardest part of the job was becoming fluent in the Bloomberg terminal. As an intern, realizing the power of Bloomberg was almost overwhelming and trying to grasp the fullness of its capacity took a lot of experimenting and learning.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the team.
A great place to work for and treats everybody as equal partner
Application Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 12, 2018
It's a very relaxing culture to work at Piper Jaffray, and a great opportunity to learn and grown your skills as a junior developer. A small IT department with all facets of software engineering that provides great exposure for someone wants to explore the career an learn. Besides everybody is willing to help and teach.
Pros
Great Company culture, great working environment, plenty of development opportunities.
Cons
The office is a little old might take a while to get used to, but people get to work from home in my Team.
It has been too long
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2018
I haven't worked here in quite some time, so it would be unfair for me to comment on things. I will refrain from commenting here since it has been so long
Challenging Work Environment
PRINCIPAL, FIXED INCOME SALES (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 24, 2018
Decent company to work for overall but management definitely plays favorites with regard to account assignments. Pay structure on par with overall industry. Strong management at top of company but same can't be said for middle managers.
Pros
Control your own destiny
Cons
Travel
Fine place to work
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 20, 2018
Pay and benefits are pretty good considering it's a middle markets firm. Development of human capital is not optimal and the work/life balance is just ok.
Na
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2018
Piper Jaffray is an investment bank located in Minneapolis, MN. Piper Jaffray provides investment banking and research to institutions and private companies.
Productive and Exciting Work
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Great Culture. Teams are very collaborative. Great place to learn and work. Management is supportive of your career goals. Benefits packages are industry standard.
Lots of variety in the job
Technology Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 16, 2018
Fast paced, and changing environment, a lot going on. Good company events, and good employee participation. I enjoyed the managers and they were good to the employees.
Cons
Copy Operator/ Mail Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2018
The entire staff their provide a great atmosphere in which to work. Friendly and down to earth while still getting all important aspects of daily tasks achieved.
Long Hours but High Pay Ceiling
Equity Research Analyst, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2017
The job is subject to some brutal hours but the pay is nearly unmatched for a finance/econ student out of college. Managment is average at best but the company is actively making changes to improve this.
Operations role: flexible
Unclaimed Property Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 17, 2017
Typical hours per day were from 7:30-4 but this was flexible. Fairly easy to get time off. I had a great manager that allowed us to get our work done and provided support when needed. Most people friendly, some not, just like any company.
Operations is a small group so not a lot of opportunity to move around within that area.
a great place to work
Senior Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2017
I worked for over 13 years at Piper Jaffray and I have nothing bad to say about them but it has been a long time since I left
I did go back as a contractor for a project and they are good people
Pros
grate people to be around
Cons
nothing
Great Leadership
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 5, 2017
The environment is wonderful. The people are wonderful to work with. The people are helpful and great to work with. Each work day is different. The leadership of the company is wonderful.
Pros
Good work environment
Little Fish in Big Pond
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 12, 2017
Needless stress!

I have to be very strategatic in my day-to-day functions.

Prioritizing and being well organized are key components in my role.

Anticipation of the Group Head’s next move is a trait in helping the company to be successful.
Pros
I have the respect of junior / senior executives and my teammates! Nice bonsus!
Cons
Investment Banking can be very stressful and we all feel the backlashes.
Boring Old Corporate Minneapolis
Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2017
These guys only recently approved jeans on Fridays after petitioning for years. I was the youngest there by 13 years. I was also contracting so I did not receive any benefits.
Pros
They gave me a free portable charger once...
Cons
The charger stopped working after a day...
Isolated management
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2016
Culture problems seem prevalent throughout company--specifically the lack of accountability for actions taken (including senior management). This has been an employee concern for several years.Low employee morale and senior management is very "clique-ish"--SF and NY feel very isolated from HQ in Minneapolis.
Pros
rebranded and recent acquisitions; increasing footprint
Cons
not competitive; management and execs have no pulse on internal culture
Good people
Service Representative/Network Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 23, 2016
working at Piper Jaffray was my first IT job, and I was really happy until they outsourced everything. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The best part was going into the office daily and seeing co-workers.
Pros
good places to eat downtown
Cons
outsourcing the Dept....
Lots of room for improvement
Mergers & Acquisitions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 10, 2016
A typical investment banking experience, long hours, unrealistic deadline but at the same time great learning experience and compensation.

Need to improve infrastructure for junior people so that they can focus on the actual work.
Great Job - No job security outside of Minneapolis
Principal Institutional Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2015
Enjoyed the people and the job, lots of product to sell. Great access to client base. Account assignments were not consistently managed.
Pros
Access to management and access to accounts
Cons
Sales Management very weak.
Public Finance Analyst (Investment Banking)
Municipal Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2015
Company is good for work-life balance, but from what I heard from full-times compensation is lower than industry average. Staff is generally nice and great to work with, except not necessarily the most educated.
Pros
Work-life balance; staff culture
Cons
Compensation