Piper Jaffray Employee Reviews

Nice culture, down-to-earth employees
Vice President, Fixed Income Services (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Good place to hang your hat for a few years. Friendly and collegial staff, hands-off management team which allows sales staff a lot of latitude. Solid reputation.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Balance sheet was not sufficient
Good place to work.
Tier 1 IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 26, 2018
Willing to train me in IT. Learned a lot of new skills. Good, compassionate management. Decent health care benefits. Fun and convenient location in downtown Minneapolis.
Was a good place to work.
Branch Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 26, 2018
Management was competent and communications and policies generally made sense and were consistent. Health benefits were good, but salaries were a little low.
Pros
good people, fun environment, good oversight
Cons
lower salaries than industry standard.
Learning experience
End User Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2018
A great place in learning about mobile devices. A short term project with a small group. Was provided with information on supporting and configuring mobile devices.
Review of Piper
Fixed Income Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 24, 2018
As an intern we were required to come in at 7:00am we would then log in to our Bloomberg Terminal where we would then work on various project throughout the summer related to the system. We would also job shadow a different job on the trader floor everyday such as a fixed income trader, a fixed income salesmen, Underwriter etc. In addition to this we would experience product teach-in's on each specific fixed income product to get a better understanding of its usage and impact. Piper offers all fixed income products but specializes within the municipal bond product. In addition to our teach-ins, we interns were given the opportunity to job-shadow various roles on the trading floor such as:
1. Data Analytics
2. Fixed Income traders
3. Fixed Income Salesmen
4. Underwriters
5. Back office team
6. Middle market team
I was also given the opportunity to participate in a speaker series. Every Thursday, all interns within Piper Jaffray & Co. would meet with a member of the executive team. We were able to ask questions and connect with powerful players in Piper’s pipeline.

The culture is very accommodating for young professionals striving to learn about the investment banking world. The people are always willing to talk and always ready to give words of advice.

The hardest part of the job was becoming fluent in the Bloomberg terminal. As an intern, realizing the power of Bloomberg was almost overwhelming and trying to grasp the fullness of its capacity took a lot of experimenting and learning.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the team.
A day in the life
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Starts at 5:30 each morning getting offerings of securities out to sales staff and potential clients requests. then making sure our inventory is on the market. Then the daily requests for offerings or market making opportunities in securities for our clients.
Pros
The Chicago office was the best
Cons
the offices fo the firm being spread over the entire US
A great place to work for and treats everybody as equal partner
Application Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 12, 2018
It's a very relaxing culture to work at Piper Jaffray, and a great opportunity to learn and grown your skills as a junior developer. A small IT department with all facets of software engineering that provides great exposure for someone wants to explore the career an learn. Besides everybody is willing to help and teach.
Pros
Great Company culture, great working environment, plenty of development opportunities.
Cons
The office is a little old might take a while to get used to, but people get to work from home in my Team.
It has been too long
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2018
I haven't worked here in quite some time, so it would be unfair for me to comment on things. I will refrain from commenting here since it has been so long
Challenging Work Environment
PRINCIPAL, FIXED INCOME SALES (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 24, 2018
Decent company to work for overall but management definitely plays favorites with regard to account assignments. Pay structure on par with overall industry. Strong management at top of company but same can't be said for middle managers.
Pros
Control your own destiny
Cons
Travel
Fine place to work
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 20, 2018
Pay and benefits are pretty good considering it's a middle markets firm. Development of human capital is not optimal and the work/life balance is just ok.
Na
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2018
Piper Jaffray is an investment bank located in Minneapolis, MN. Piper Jaffray provides investment banking and research to institutions and private companies.
Productive and Exciting Work
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Great Culture. Teams are very collaborative. Great place to learn and work. Management is supportive of your career goals. Benefits packages are industry standard.
Lots of variety in the job
Technology Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 16, 2018
Fast paced, and changing environment, a lot going on. Good company events, and good employee participation. I enjoyed the managers and they were good to the employees.
Cons
Copy Operator/ Mail Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2018
The entire staff their provide a great atmosphere in which to work. Friendly and down to earth while still getting all important aspects of daily tasks achieved.
Long Hours but High Pay Ceiling
Equity Research Analyst, Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2017
The job is subject to some brutal hours but the pay is nearly unmatched for a finance/econ student out of college. Managment is average at best but the company is actively making changes to improve this.
Operations role: flexible
Unclaimed Property Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 17, 2017
Typical hours per day were from 7:30-4 but this was flexible. Fairly easy to get time off. I had a great manager that allowed us to get our work done and provided support when needed. Most people friendly, some not, just like any company.
Operations is a small group so not a lot of opportunity to move around within that area.
a great place to work
Senior Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2017
I worked for over 13 years at Piper Jaffray and I have nothing bad to say about them but it has been a long time since I left
I did go back as a contractor for a project and they are good people
Pros
grate people to be around
Cons
nothing
Great Leadership
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 5, 2017
The environment is wonderful. The people are wonderful to work with. The people are helpful and great to work with. Each work day is different. The leadership of the company is wonderful.
Pros
Good work environment
typical investment bank
Equity Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2017
culture is nonexistent ...performance is judged day to day. zero advancement opportunities. Every time a senior analyst quit/was fired, they were replaced externally.
Trading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2017
Very fast paced environment with much to learn. Fun atmosphere but also stressful at times due to the amount of money involved in each transaction placed.