Pittsburgh Pirates

Pittsburgh Pirates Employee Reviews

United States79 reviews
Love it
the best job I ever worked not too hard, the people around you are mostly old but great people where you will grow a bond, it’s fun & busy & I love making people happy
Its a good begining job.
Work environment is ok,the work environment is dirty, it's not hard work if you are a hard working individual. The people that work there are ok everybody have there nights.
Interning was a learning experience
I was a baseball operations intern and I was thrilled because this was my first job in the industry. I wasn't too familiar with baseball ops, I figured it had a lot to do with recruiting, which it does, but I was on the logistics side of things. Most of my time was spent looking for something to do and being glued to a computer. Everyone was nice to me but I never got any assignments to help on even though I would ask so I was mostly just bored. Didn't have any game day responsibilities either but the people in the department would sit in a suite with their laptops and get work done.
Fun
Beautiful ballpark and kind staff. Stress-free work environment with opportunities for those who are trustworthy and hard-working. I had a great time there.
Fun place to work for a baseball fan
Great place to work if you enjoy helping people. You help to make great memories for guests and enhance their game day experience. Great management staff, very upbeat and supportive.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Simply A: "Good Part Time Job."
Typically Handled Multiple Security Tasks at The Ballpark + Some Additional Logistically and Customer Service Responsibilities: Dealing With Deliveries to The Ballpark; Player and Family Vehicle Arrivals/Departures; etc.
Work while having FUN!
Being a Host/Greeter for the PIttsburgh Pirates at PNC Park has turned out to be not just fun, but a sense of pride in the City of Pittsburgh. Representing the Pittsburgh Pirates is an honor.
It was lifelong dream to pursue baseball at a professional level
I was drafted in 2016 by the Pittsburgh Pirates and was released out of Spring Training in 2019. Although my career with them ended early than I had hoped or anticipated, it was a once in a life time opportunity.
Competitive, Motivated, and Fun workplace
The Professional Baseball lifestyle is a tough one to adjust to. There are an average of two days off per month (sometimes even less). With most games at 7:00 pm, athletes are required to arrive at the stadium between 1:30-2:30 in the afternoon to get various workouts, treatments, and game plan meetings in. Traveling (3-9 hour trips) occurs about every 4th day after games end late at night with the time of arrival into the next city being well into the early morning of the following day. This hectic work schedule breeds the opportunity to play baseball in front of thousands of fans against the best players in the world- a rarity in itself. The importance of team building, competitive nature, and long lasting relationships is magnified within this field like not other. One might experience various forms of adversity throughout the season which provides endless opportunities to grow as a player and as a person.
Usual fun time with fans
I usually open up the gate at Jim Beam Lounge. This involves setting up metal detector various signs outside, ensuring rest of security has metal detecting wands and search sticks. I also insure that any give away products and programs are at gate. I open my gate two and a half hour before game time and ensure no weapons or prohibited items come in with fans. Since I work same gate I know many customers and greet them by name. I continue to let fans in until end of event. After game time I assist in security at the lounge until one hour after game time. When last fan is out of ball park my night is complete.
Pros
Sports enviroment
Cons
Poor pay. Weather
Pittsburgh Pirates
Awesome place to work. It is enjoyable to make money for the Pirates Charities. This is a Casual position. It is real enjoyable to know when you have sold the winning ticket to a customer
Great organization
The culture, the players and management are all terrific I felt welcomed from the start.
the hardest part of the job is being on your feet all the time, working split shifts , the technology not functioning as it should all the time.
Pros
Great people; great atmosphere; much to learn
Cons
low pay; on your feet all the time; withstanding excessive heat.
Decent seasonl jon
Decent job. Rain delays and extra innings were rough, but perfect for college students. Great customers service experience was attained by working here.
Often chaotic, undisiplined and short staffed
First consider this is only a part time job during the MLB season on game days,at PNC park. This should not be taken to represent the baseball team.

As a Game Day gate worker we are more often than not short handed which on days with larger crowds can make it very difficult to do your job well. There are huge inconsistency's in the way policy and procedures are handled and enforced which can make any one game day sometimes unpleasant to work. What you did last week or for one supervisor was fine but doing the same thing this week is not acceptable. Their are employees you work with who should not be still working from various incidents or repeated short falls in doing the job properly, yet it is generally tolerated due to the fact they cannot attract or keep onboard enough people. Pay is probably one major factor. Trying to do your best to do good or better work is seldom noticed and not appreciated when it is. Doing just good enough seems to be all they really expect, until something goes badly; then you may have a supervisor yelling at you over it. Some of the first line supervisors are totally out of line and inappropriate how they talk to and handle employees (it would not be tolerated by most HR departments) and a few others seem to barely care at all about the job.

I will likely not return next season and if I did things would need to be different or I would not stay long into next year. Not for the current pay anyway.

All of that said the actual work you are expected to do is for the most part easy and even enjoyable interacting with fans and guests etc.
 - more...
Pros
Day at the ballpark and get to see some baseball most days. It can be fun and the Fans are great!
Cons
Weather can be at the extreems, wet, cold or hot. Under appreciaed for trying to do things right or taking initiative.
Management too cheap to the point it is counter productive
For spring training in Florida, they offer $9 an hour. They used to pay more than that several years ago, but now they get senior citizen volunteers to be greeters for free, so they think all labor should be free. Florida is a horrible place to try and get a job for this reason--seniors who retire with big fat pensions from somewhere else are willing to work for peanuts just to have something to do, so it skews the whole job market and makes employers like this think they are entitled to workers for barely over minimum wage. Not only low pay, but horrible scratchy polyester shirts that soak up the funk in the Florida hot sun and that funk never quite fully washes out of artificial fibers so it is funk compounded every time you wear the world's cheapest fabric. I liked the fans and the carnival atmosphere of spring training, but they don't offer the employees any perks, not even giving them a lunch or a hot dog-- they'd rather trash any left over food than let their $9 an hour employees eat it. For that and for everything else I have little respect for the ultra cheap manager that does the hiring for spring training. Giving the workers a 'free' baseball cap as part of their uniform is not really a job perk. They need to offer something better to their workers.
Learning experience
Met some good people to work with. I got to see alot of games and different major league baseball games. I learned about safe food practices. I would recommend this job if you like baseball.
It can be fun..depends, on the crowd, your supervisor and the weather
Let’s just say that I worked for them 13 years ago. I was re-hired and had to start from the bottom, which means, you weren’t guaranteed a lot of games, even if you filled out a schedule.
Pay stinks unless you work a bunch of games. Yes, there is seniority.

Also, depending on which level you are working from, that is your pay rate.

Upper $9.50, club $10, lower level $11...
Pros
When you swipe in, you have to pay $5 for a meal if you want it.
Cons
No breaks, no health care etc...no perks..(they lie)!
Fast paced stressful customer service positions
This was a summer part time concessions position!!!
I never met their CEO..... this 3rd degree questioning about this type of position is totally uncalled for, unnecessary and frankly unprofessional.
Pros
Free hot dogs
Cons
Difficult to even get a bathroom break during games.
Very community oriented place to work
I liked my job and management was very easy to work with for scheduling. It was just very hot as i worked in the summer during the Mirauders season. It was just too hot for me as you must wear a cap at all times. It was fun!
Competitive work environment on a baseball field
Great Organization. Personal Preference Job. Constantly have to perform at the top of your game to advance in the system. Must maintain a healthy body and longevity.
Pros
A lot of Money
Cons
No free time
Great place
I felt right in my element with the sarcastic, competitive, and helpful sports medicine staff. I would love to work for them again and recommend it to friends/colleagues.
Pros
Free food, good people, teaching environment
Cons
Long hours, communication barrier (spanish)
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pittsburgh Pirates. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3