Pivotal Labs Inc

Pivotal Labs Inc Employee Reviews

nice place to work good people
i love working there and nice environment. People were very friendly and i would love to go to office daily. Positive Place and management never seen such work place
A decent employer, but not a forever employer
Pivotal has a very specific way of working (XP, Lean Startup Method). As long as you're okay with that way of working, it's a good place, and their adherence to an 8-hour workday (with an hour lunch break) is ironclad. There aren't a huge number of opportunities for professional growth, though.
Didn't work there long enough to review
I moved directly from EMC to Pivotal when it was a start up. I worked remote so don't have a good feeling for the work environment in California. The office in California was fabulous.
Pros
Free beer, soft drinks and snacks
Different Culture from Most
Pivotal is different from most tech companies that you will find in the area. They have a strong emphasis on empathy and it really shows in their culture. You will work with really creative and caring people. Everyone is super smart and happy to answer questions and help out!
Productive and a fun place to work
A typical day at work could be long due to I was on EST while the corporate is on PST. So, that would mean your day started to get busy around 12 noon. Days could be long because of this especially if you need to schedule meetings etc. Workplace culture is open to promote teamwork and there was always free snacks and drinks. Also, there was a ping pong table and couches so you could work in a comfortable environment. Overall management team was good but like all companies it has it share of bad ones too.
Pros
Free lunch, snacks, and Ping pong tables
Cons
Job seekers rely on your experience.
All nice people
I was an intern, I learned a lot and made many connections. My coworkers and colleagues all helped me learn so much and I came out of my internship fluent in Java and Python.
Good company
Good company, but may have future growth problems due to industry pressures.

Some people need to work harder and put a customer first attitude instead of I will get to the customer when I have time. This is not the typical rule in the company but is very noticable.
Fun Place
Great place to work. I learned a lot about the agile and lean software development process. I had a lot of fun with all the socials and company bonding events.
Great company for Devops
A very good company to work in cloud foundry and other data fields. Also a good startup with strong ipo and over all learning growth. Big fans of spring.
Good in the Beginning
...then fell off. Good people left, and unqualified people came in. Three main areas exist: Labs, Cloud Foundry, and Data. Go with Labs! This is where you want to be.
Great company, people and culture
Great company, people and culture. I don't believe that there is a better way to deliver software, so it feels great to work here. More important, the philosophy of continuous improvement means that if a better idea comes along - we'll just do that!
Pros
They hire for empathy and the people are awesome; always interested to get better
Cons
our office will not likely remain, so I'd have to relocate
The hype is...somewhat real
The cult-like culture around TDD and paired programming does yield better quality code which is what they're selling to clients. However if you're an introvert, paired programming will drain your soul after awhile - especially if you are pairing with client devs that do not care about your silly TDD or testing at all and would rather quit than be in another red green refactor feedback loop with you.

But, you have unlimited vacation to ease that troubled paired out mind right? Sure, as long as you schedule whole days off long in advance and get them approved by multiple layers of bureaucracy. If you need an hour off randomly, you are expected to make up the time for the week. You must bill 40 hours - Always Be Billing - Or Else. Or else what? Shade will be thrown in your face in a passive aggressive manner related to how you aren't upholding company values of making it $RAIN$ for shareholders and execs. The unspoken understanding was "You have unlimited vacation....((((as long as you're billing 40 hours a week))))" - that and "Always Be billing - Or Else". It's still a consulting gig no matter how many free lunches or `unlimited` vacation there was.

The process of producing quality code is worth a stint here. Once you get tired of throwing yourself in the grinder for below average pay, get another salary position somewhere that isn't a gloried consulting firm.
Pros
Quality coding processes
Cons
ABB(Always Be Billing)
Great work environment
A great place to work that walks their talk. Great diversity initiatives. An exciting agile environment. Very flexible time off. Not as great in time flexibility--want you in the office 9-6, and working a skewed schedule (in late, out late) could be problematic. Also, people move around a lot on projects, and sometimes you've just developed a good working relationship when the team is re-assorted. Also, be aware that pairing may not be for everyone.
Pros
Free breakfast every day, great benefits
Cons
Company focus changes a lot, and jobs migrate to different offices
Potential for greatness, squandered for short term glory
Great culture in their SF office! It was my job to bring that culture down to their new HQ except the first thing my boss told me after a month of training in SF was that they didn't actually want any changes or care about the culture at all (the reason I signed on).
The whole place is a turnstile for bigger-better things for folks' careers. The middle to upper management folks are stuck in old corporate thinking and are out of touch with the tech and startup world. They care more about hey they look as individuals than the company or their departments.

Any HR needs will be ignored! They will interview you, but they will do nothing. They mostly hire contractors and treat them very differently than salaried/full employees, creates a gross atmosphere for all.
Pros
dogs, people
Cons
management, out of touch
Fun place to work
Open office with lots of snack and games to place. Depending on what area you work in, could be busy, but the pace is consistent, so you don't feel too overwhelmed. Everyone is very kind there.
Great culture as well as compensation
New ideas are highly encouraged along with a fun and positive environment. The work given is to personally engage the employee.
Productive and fun place to work.
Very laid back culture, that motivates employees to succeed. Great people work here and management is flexible with work/life balance.
Great work/life balance company
I enjoyed working for pivotal. Great company but the opportunity for advancement was very slim. A typical work day consists of a great pink pong game along with a fully stocked grocery store refrigerator.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
job advancement
I think Pivotal is exceptional, especially for firms that want to take advantage of an engagement to provide agile training to their internal team.
Pivotal labs have developed numerous products for clients in our Startup-oriented practice. They have taken entrepreneurs' ideas and made them reality, usually in a few short months.
Decent place to work
Pivotal Labs is a pretty good place to work, they try to keep their employees happy.
Pros
Free breakfast, drinks and snacks. Decent benefits.
Fabulous place for JavaScript and RoR developers, who love BDD and XP
Pivotal lives and breathes the Extreme Programming style of work. Highly productive, tremendously competent bunch of software engineers.

If you want to work diligently and productively for forty hours a week, then go home to enjoy the rest of your life, this is the place for you.
Pros
breakfast everyday, talented co-workers, benevolent managment, pong
Cons
none that i can think of