Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Can be a fantastic job with the right supervisor and custodial team working together. Hiring seems a bit unorganized but clears up after your employment begins.

Compensation is a joke!

The people and culture are great! However, the pay is is well below cost of living. You'll make more working at a fast food restaurant! The union does not have your back!!!

Pros

People

Cons

Pay

Left on your own to sink or swim.

Being a nurse in this district was very difficult dealing with covid. It used to be a wonderful job, but you got no support from the higher ups. The union doesn't help and administration puts unrealistic expectations on you. You are left to do the job of multiple people.

Pros

Working with kids

Cons

People at the district office and your union not supporting you at all.

Easy going

While working as a substitute custodian I learned a lot about how the school district works. I have learned a lot of different things about how cleaning the schools in the summer works. It was very easy going, on a day to day basis I had to clean the desks, walls, white boards, and carpets. The most enjoyable part of the job is cleaning the carpets using a machine that is similar to a giant buffer and an extractor.

Paraprofessional

I worked as a paraprofessional for PSD 202 and I loved working at Plainfield Academy. The administrative staff were awesome and supportive. The teachers and support staff are like family and the school climate is awesome. The job was challenging and rewarding. I learned a lot by working at Plainfield Academy. The drawback is the pay, I don't think anyone does if for the money.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Limited pay, no benefits, and no support or training to improve skills.

The Substitute Coordinator notifies us too late some time to accept the Substitute Assignment. Management has very little commitment to the Substitute Teachers. Initially the district had us come into the district office to attend a group orientation my first year and complete new hire paperwork. Since that time, I have been offered no training, no invitation to Teacher Orientation, no supervision, and little or no communication about the schools activities, work related meetings, observations, or management interaction about my performance. There is no technology updates to help us use the school's computer systems, and the district does not provided a laptop to substitute teachers to communicate with other teachers about their classroom assignment, student behavior, management decisions, completing attendance online as the teachers do, or even any daily update as to what is happening on each campus that day. In general, Substitute Teachers are not treated like part of the education team, but just as a necessary inconvenience that is given a hardy, Thanks! We only have a half hour to eat our lunch, which means taking a break is impossible. Also substitute secretaries also try and fill our schedule each day with multiple teachers classes that even exceeds regular teachers 5 class expectation. In short, I believe the School District has taken the Substitute Teachers for granted. If they would treat the Substitute Teachers with the same respect as the regular teacher, provide supervision, yearly performance evaluations, and training, it would probably be a pretty good -

Pros

Well maintained school buildings.

Cons

Low pay, no free lunches, no awards for performance, no yearly evaluations.

Great People and Great Work Environment

Do your work and you'll be fine, not too much but if kids get out of hand and make a mess it can be frustrating. People are fun to work with and management is great, staff at the schools are very nice and appreciative as well.

Great School To Be An Employee

Excellent Environment. Diverse Population. Team Concept. Respected By The Community. Great Location. A Variety Of Student Programs. A Variety Of Work Experiences.

Great place to work.

Great school district to work for. I subbed for 6 years and currently working as a SPED Paraprofessional for 10 years to present. Great benefits too. Love the people I work with.

Custodian

Worst job ever very poor management by all the supervisors you will be taken advantage of and if they dont like you they will do what it takes to get you to quit or get fired they are all very rude nice at first of course but that all changes once they get to know you the union took over $800 out of my paycheck for the year and why i have no clue because they did absolutely nothing for me i do not recommend this job to anyone!!

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Stay away from permenant/ sub custodian jobs

If I had more room the things i could tell you. This place is very racist. If you are a minority working here i want you to know if and when you get into a spat with a coworker or anything of the sort you will not be protected. Not only from the district but also from the union who has been put in place to protect you. They will NOT take your side they will brush what you say to the side regarding anything especially anything to do with discrimination or racism. You will be told not to speak about it. If you are going through this it is best to go directly to EEO and make a complaint. They treat you like dirt. The administrators and secretarys have very horrible attitudes. The head custodians are lazy and there are no reprecussions for them and the things they do because everyone is too afraid to speak up. There is a severe power struggle and lack of communication in every department. The substitute custodians are called at the drop of a dime and are required to come in as soon as they call. They get no holiday pay or no pay for getting sent to a school and getting sent back home as soon as they get there if they get called back at all. The permanant custodians despite how much work they do get little to no benefits. They work 6 hours a day( there are barely any 8 hour positions except for head custodians and high schools) and are expected to vacuum, mop, take out trash, dust, clean bathrooms, set up meetings and do maintainence like changing light bulbs, celing tile, cleaning filters every night! Within six hours and god forbid you have a lazy head custodian that passes off -

Pros

No weekends or holidays

Cons

Racist atmosphere, low pay, poor union, no organization, sucky benefits

Groundskeeper overworked position

Worst school district management ever. Typical government worker attitude with do as least as possible. But for what they pay, why do any more than you have to. When your not being overworked during the summer, they make you a janitor during the winter months when there is no outside work to do. Or you could be a painter with the district's two unqualified painters. You would expect more from the 5th largest school district in Illinois, but DON"T! The union is a joke that has no pull with he district whatsoever.

Pros

Your supervisor could care less!

Cons

Your supervisor could care less!

Training ground for new teachers...

This district hires a LOT of recent graduates who are happy to find a job, get some experience, and then move on. The board's main focus is to keep things cheap. They are way behind the times in terms of curriculum, compensation and technology. No 1:1 student devices. No smart boards. No document cameras. Students not allowed to use phones. You can check out laptop carts, but they are hard to get! Administration covers for one another and its more who you know than what you know that counts here. You are better off starting in a district that will teach you how things really should be done. This one is behind the times.

Pros

Kids treat each other well

Cons

Salary, Low contribution to TRS by school, high turn-over, lack of technology

Stimulating and challenging work environment.

Plainfield School District is a great place to work. There are many advantages to working there, but it just wasn't a fit for me. Nothing against anyone there, great learning experience.

Pros

Great learning experience, great benefits

Cons

Not everyone is a team player

Very political School District and afraid to stand up to minorites!

If you don't follow their law of political correctness, they build a phony hit list about your job performance and get rid of you. The Union is the most useless union I've ever seen with poor representation! Human resources needs to be fired as their salaries are $100K+, their employees are weak and they don't deserve that money whatsoever while custodians hardly make anything now! The most political School District I've worked for in 25 years and I wouldn't recommend 202 to anyone!

Pros

Weekends and Holidays off

Cons

Political School District:Overpaid Human Resources employees:Unfair treatment

Great staff and students

Overall a great place to work. The teachers in the district are hard working and supportive, and open to new ideas. The teachers are given a lot of opportunity for growth.

Pros

A lot of opportunity for growth

Cons

Very few stable part time positions

Excellent School District

I enjoyed my time as a Substitute teacher for Plainfield schools district. The faculty and principal recommended for a long term FMLA leave to sub for, when that job ended they referred me to another. It was a great place to sub while I looked for a more permanent position.

Pros

Short, easy days.

Cons

Temporary work status

Great Commitment by the Staff, but penny-pinching every dollar.

The Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202 has been an enjoyable employer to work for, primarily because of the committed educators who work for the district school. Unfortunately, since I am a contract Substitute Teacher, I do not receive the same vital assistance that could improve my performance. The Plainfield Board of Education fails to provide all of their Substitute Teachers with laptop computers, which prevents those who want a computer from improving the quality of their work. These necessary tools rethe primary instrument that is used to do all of the relevant work that is necessary to complete in the classroom. The laptops are the best source for keeping up with what is going on in the individual schools, and the district itself. The district has also been penny-pinching every dollar to save money, and has not even given Substitute Teachers the pass code to the school's copy machines. They also continue to allow incompetent teachers to continue to teaching.

Pros

Friendly environment to work in.

Cons

Technology benefits and poor compensation are lacking.

dont waste your time working for the custodian posición

You dont want to work has a custodian for the plainfield school district what a waste of time it is your part of union they dont care about you just taking the money management sucks nasty environment to work at staff is disrespectful head custodian complaint about everything how you dress walk talk clock in everything raicist to little pay for all the dirty work plus they make you do they steal your last check when you quit disgusting racist and ignorant place to work at!!

Cons

No brakes they want work at all times

Great District to work in

Enjoyed my Substitute teaching with this district. The staff and teachers are amazing and it is a very relaxing place to work. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for part-time or full-time work.

Relaxed and friendly work environment with lots of help available

I learned about class management, communication with students from different background, and teaching skills. The hardest part of the job was to go to different schools everyday, but at the same time it was fun and challenging too. I learned about different class settings and different teaching styles, also about the technology used in different schools. My substitute teaching experience inspired me to get my TBE license and be a professional teacher.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202 with