Plains Marketing Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for.
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfield, NDDecember 26, 2017
Came to work and immediately checked the schedule to see what was needed on the trucks, which included maintenance, tire changes, repairs, or service. I was also responsible for ordering parts.
Pros
Great people to work for.
Cons
unable to think of any
Good pay
Crude Oil Driver (Former Employee) –  Big Lake, TXNovember 20, 2017
Relocated to Pecos and was told I would get a call back to home terminal as soon as work picked up. but i took the bait and they hired other less senior hands that took a severance and unemployment and i never got a call to come back due to an underhanded management style because they couldn't keep hands in Pecos. They couldn't even keep hands busy in an oil boom so i quit. Rely heavily on contract haulers. Plains is in massive debt and could collapse at any moment. Too many undervalued assets and unfunded liability. Crude logistics have changed and there's competitors with more modern pipe and facilities. Plains has a bad reputation with big oil buyers due to old business practices and unfufiled contracts. Go Enterprise or a smaller emerging market player like Indeca.
Pros
Fleet
Cons
Big debt
drivers feel under-appreciated
Truck Driver Class A CDL w/X Endorsement (Current Employee) –  Big Lake, TXOctober 2, 2017
Plains was a good company to work for, but have cut pay and bonuses. Also they stopped paying drivers legitimate job tickets, and shorted oil barrels hauled.
Pros
Very good benefits, starting day one
Cons
Supervisors uncaring for drivers needs
Security Officer
At-Home Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Saint James, LAJuly 3, 2017
Log employees, contractors, visitors in and out of gate, Professionalism, friendly, help train other employees, not enough hours, meeting new people, helping with directions
Pros
professionalism
Cons
not many breaks
Great job on cost of living vs pay
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMay 29, 2017
This company is a great place to work at if you're motivated and like being on your own to get your job done. You can make a great yearly pay if you're focused know your job and do what you're trained to do. The state of the art ticketing system makes work easy and minimum paperwork because of the electronic logging system. I have had a great time at this company and would've retired with them if I was staying in the area the offer employment.
Pros
Benefits start immediately, sign on bonus, and first check advance.
Cons
Supervisors people skills lacking somewhat, truck assignments.
balanced work environment
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 7, 2017
pretrip truck navigate safest routes safely execute loading and unloading of hazardous material interact with other company personnel observe all safety hazards and proceed with all safety measures
Pros
not over worked plenty of time off
Cons
not enough supervision
friendly atmosphere
Oil Technician transport (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXApril 4, 2017
stuck in a rut as far as money goes what you get doesn't change so make sure you are comfortable cause I have been through about 15k a year decrease a year ago and it still hasn't been raised back up . the back bone of the company is the driver with out them to gather oil purchased and prove it right the company would fade to dust but they are treated the worst
benefits
Cons
the rules change on thier latest problem
Great Benefits and Management was fair
LPG Tanker Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Great Company to work for. The workload fluctuates a bit much though. The picking up and delivering of different type product such as LPG, Condisate, and Crude Oil was great while it lasted. Management was over all pretty fair and not much pressure. The commute for me was the biggest issue I had with this job. It wasn't great when they provided Lodging for us but since the work sight was located in South Texas It was quite a commute from Rosharon Tx. They only provided Lodging for three months.
Pros
Great Pay, Bonuses, and Benefits.
Cons
The Commute to work with no lodging.
Fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mills, WYFebruary 5, 2017
Plains Marketing is a great company to work for. I work with friendly people. I work 7-4 and they are flexible with family needs. The benefits are great including insurance, paid and sick leave.
Long hours and shift work
Station operator (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXSeptember 3, 2016
Most days are full with maintenance and paper work. Management seems to preach safety but won'rt spend the money needed to improve safety . There is a lot of office politics
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
management has its own agenda
Lots of changes lately
CLASS A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2016
Large cut in pay and benifits for drivers,schedule changes,less profitable dispatches due to the reduction in drilling.Aint what it was a year ago.
Pros
Great field supervisor
Cons
0 Job security
fast paced and fun
Driver (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KSMarch 17, 2016
Plains is a crudeoil hauler that picks up oil from customers that then is unloaded at a bulk storage that is shipped to be refined. Management is very good. Co-workers are very helpful and willing to help. Hardest part of the job is the adverse weather conditions that you have to be in.
Pros
great pay and bonus
Cons
rotating shift work
Above Average Crude Oil Marketing Employer
Truck Driver-Crude Oil Operator (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, TXMarch 10, 2016
Drive Oil Tanker to lease tanks, test oil for value, deliver to market.
Learned to maintain established safe and efficient routine
Minimal management interaction and communication
Enjoyed working with seasoned and skilled coworkers
Industry instability creates unsettling environment
Compensation and benefits above average in industry
Pros
Home every night
Cons
Unforgiving elements of the job
good job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2016
good job, great benefits, newer and new equipment well maintained.
Very micro managed. you have to slip seat and no preloading trucks.
Steady work with a lot of Benefits
Class A comb X-Hazardous Material (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYApril 10, 2015
My Job with Plains Marketing was a very challenging because of the weather condition"s mountain trend to locations. I enjoyed this part very much, had great men to work with we helped each other and worked very well together, made the job very easy to get up and go to work each an ever day.

My most hardest part of the job was the computer, did everything with the computer.What I really like was the logs for DOT was done this way, so no time spending time making out logs every time you stop.

As far as management, I think I got along with my supervision well because I did my job well and had very good work ethics, I did my job & worked with others, so I did not have problems with my supervision.
Pros
my own boss as far as how i did my ever day tasks as long as i got the job done
Cons
did not like the break, i needed to take before 8 hours, because it made it difficult to get done in a 14 hour day
Proactive company
Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VirginiaFebruary 16, 2015
Company was proactive in HSE culture. Team worked together to resolve issues quickly to move project along. Project team worked well with each other.
Pros
great work atmosphere
Good Company
Hazardous Material Transporter (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMOctober 12, 2014
They took good care of me, would like to go back someday. Just don't like driving a truck.
great place to work management team was very well trained
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJanuary 14, 2014
working with offshore and pipeline equipment can be stressful due to scheduling issues, being on call 7 days a week can be troubling at times but the support staff of this company was enduring. the in field co-workers seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
Excellent Employer
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Enid, OKOctober 21, 2012
Plains is a great employer. My reasons for leaving are personal. My family was not able to relocate with me and the strain of the separation has taken its toll on us. My wife and I would like to stay in Texas and I have made the decision to leave Plains only so I can be with my family.
Decent Employer
Lead Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2012
Up till just recently Plains Marketing was a Great Employer to work for. Due to a recent Policy Change regarding oil splills if a Driver makes one mistake then He/She is Fired on the spot no matter if it was equipment failure or not. As a result of this policy the company has let go 3 Drivers who were long term employees and had exellent backgrounds. Plains Marketing has moved in a direction that does not consider that people do make mistakes.
benefits
Cons
poor policy changes