Planet Fitness
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Planet Fitness:

Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA25 reviews
I have worked for the company for a few years now, and have been presented with many opportunities to grow within the company. These opportunities come about pretty regularly, and a lot of trainers used their experience with PF to move on to more personalized training jobs. Management within my franchise is amazing, and tries to maintain a close working relationship with employees, like hosting team building events and such. I enjoy just being able to talk to members, but dealing with unsatisfied people or gross situations in the restrooms can be difficult.
My manager and coworkers are very kind and supportive, making me look forward to working everyday. The gym environment is very energizing for those who want a change from the typical office environment.
Great place to work if you're interested in the fitness community. Members are great and the management style is awesome. Great work culture. Company image and motto is great, its a no judgement zone!
planet fitness wasnt the best, management was very unstable staff was unstable it felt like the place was going up in flames overall don’t work here..
Benefits
Cons
Pay, staff, management, regional manager, favoritism for staff and so much more.
Everyone gets along and is so close! Morning's arent busy but afternoons can be. Management is great! You learn to gain a lot of customer service skills.
Pros
free membership
Cons
sometimes short staffed
I enjoyed the facility and being able to work with different people daily. I enjoyed use of the equipment as a benefit to my employment. The staff and Customers are very nice.
A typical day at work includes greeting members, facilitating new member sign-ups, giving tours to prospective clients, keeping the gym clean and tidy at all times, stocking the bathroom/locker rooms and the supply room, answering calls and assisting with various questions, handling all front desk related activities including assisting members with their accounts.
Great for a first job to gain experience, but takes a long time on advancement opportunities. Given part time hours and you would have to be willing to work in other locations to earn more hours.
This place offers you the opportunity to start working even before you get your CPT certificate, but you have a time frame to finish it, they offer to pay it off if you pass, and you get to put into practice while you learn; on the other hand, they don't pay well for your time and is part of your job cleaning, calling members, taking tours... so you lose your concentration over the general population that's actually training sometimes.

They say you get benefits, but they are not such, I call to take the health insurance, and it wasn't even better than what I already have, same price, fewer benefits...
Pros
Great place to start as a trainer
Cons
Low pay, with no real benefits
The usual issues of working night shift are present, but I can't remember the last time I've been in a work place as dysfunctional as this one. Private franchising rules make things very hard for members, and a lack of communication between day time managers and night staff made this job impossible. On multiple occasions I would call other employees and managers for help at night only to have their phones turned off or to let it ring out. I was also put on the job with little to no training, receiving write ups for poor performance when I had not learned the basic duties of the job after being there two months. Turn over with the custodial positions was high and although they received better pay, overnight representatives were expected to do their jobs when they called out/didn't show up/got fired. I applied to other positions in house and was denied the opportunity to interview for them because of the lack of applicants for my position (I found my resume in a pile of scrap paper). Don't work here, especially not for night shift.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Planet Fitness?
Planet Fitness is a great place for career and personal development. However more reasonable work life balance and pay is needed for those is management.
Pros
Fun and supportive managment team and work environment.
Cons
Managment works over 40 hours. Very little work life balance.
At first it was fun and particularly easy to adjust to work at Planet Fitness. Management is what drives this place. Dependent on who is in the lead role, work will either be fun or uncomfortable.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Workers worked for themselves, no sense of team, overnight staff had to clean up after day staff
Dirty facility (absolutely revolting at times), roof leaks in many places, machines broken for months, trainers allowed to have affairs with clients, employees dating, unequal employee responsibility, employees are allowed to bully each other including but not limited to using obscenities, terroristic threats, racial slurs, and homophobic remarks, breaks are not allowed, no benefits due to the fact that management will schedule you for 39.99 hours/week unless you're their friend outside of Planet Fitness, employees are allowed to view member profiles at any time and there is no repercussion for personally contacting customers via this method. Management just thinks these issues are funny and do nothing about them.
Pros
Free $20 membership.
Sign up new memberships. Cancel Memberships. Run the front desk. Clean Gym equipment.

Understaffed. High management turnover. Management does not value employees. Management tampers with time clock.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
High Managment Turnover
friendly place pretty clean great staff most people there are down to earth great personal trainers great fitness programs and a very great price for membership
If you do as you are asked, and do not do things half way it will make the job more enjoyable. Managers are friendly and co-workers are friendly as well. You are really able to get to know the members and build great relationships. If you do not like to clean or do not like to interact with people face to face its not for you.
I currently work for PF and I've got to say it's the best team I've ever worked with at a job. Everybody is nice, members tend to be pretty friendly as well. It's about 50% cleaning and 50% customer service. There is always room for growth for those who want it, my current GM is the one who trained me when we were just both Front Desk.

I'd give it a 5 stars if not for the pay though, also because they pay bi weekly now instead of every week. A lot of ppl were upset about it.
Pros
Free Membership, Great Staff, Growth
Cons
Low pay
A typical day at work is fairly busy, but easy to deal with because the customers are generally polite. I have learned to handle responsibility because i have more responsibility there.
typically you are checking in members, handling cancellations, updating billing, giving tours, and cleaning.

Job is amazing, as long as you have a great manager to work under.
Pros
quality of life, relaxing, fun, great for scheduling since its 24hrs
Cons
cleaning messes members leave behind (bathrooms)
Typical day involves checking people in, cleaning bathrooms, answering questions, and selling products. Depending on which day of the year their is, they're will be a lot of tours of the gym being given. Sometimes the crowd can be tough depending on your location
Pros
Free Membership, Flexible Hours
This can be a fun place to work in.
The downside to this the standards they have that must be kept and followed through. For an ordinary gym they have outrageous standards and rules not only for employees but for customers as well.

Now every experience is different, mine was definitely not bad, it was great actually. My issue was just the too many rules
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planet Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.
1.3K
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Planet Fitness.