Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 2,773 reviews matching the search See all 2,909 reviews
Horrible
You do everything (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Be prepared to clean and wipe down equipment even when there is no need to clean something.
Be prepared to be forced to follow a specific sales script even when you can sale membership's without using their stupid sales script. People just want to know how much does it cost and what they get for their money. They dont want you to force down their ears a long sales script about how planet fitness is not a gym- I guess I need glasses because every thing about the place looks like a gym.
Pros
You can work out for free
Cons
Tedious in every aspect
Drama and Management terrible
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Everyone got along well until there was a management position. Everyone turned on each other and that’s when you saw everyone’s true colors. Everyone there is so fake and so full of it. Don’t even bother to work there if you don’t want to be surrounded with drama. As for the work they expect front desk staff to clean toilets as well and that wasn’t in the job description as if they low pay and drama wasn’t enough bad already.
Pros
Cons
Don’t waste your time there
Run away!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYJanuary 6, 2019
WORST job I have ever had. You never can sit or really take a break. Immensely understaffed. Furthermore, you can not help any of the members because you will be too busy cleaning something. Ridiculous! And their business model is made to take advantage of members not using the gym and never cancelling. Then you as the employee have to deal with miserable people because PF cheats them of their money. INSANE PLACE TO WORK WISH I NEVER HAD. The free membership is NOT worth it at all.
Loved my job!
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 20, 2018
Was able to advance in the company. Went from an MSR to Manager in under 8 months with many raises. The owners are awesome and my District Manager is very humble, smart, and great to work with. Other management was great too. We all have different personalities making a diverse team. I would continue working for them in the future but had to relocate. Would have stayed forever! When our location got hit by Hurricane Michael and our locations were closed, they continued to take care of us, encourage us, and PAY us. So generous and kind.
Pros
Awesome management and caring owners.
TO EASY !!! NO Challenges
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2019
Working here is to easy !!! You really just have to make sure all members are taking care of, and Gym equipment and Floor is CLEAN. A lot of just standing around, Understand this is why you get payed so low. People are fun to work with and members are happy to see you. But it's not a challenge or way to make more money, where you can work at a fast food place and make more and climb up with work you put in. If you are doing this overnight weekends please make it a temp position for yourself. I can afford $23.00 a month to workout here.
Pros
Easy WORK, Free Gym, Cool CO-Workers
Cons
Hours work, Less Pay
horrible work environment great members
desk (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKJanuary 14, 2019
defiantly not a recommended place to work, though the environment is pleasant around the members the only reason for working with planet fitness. management is rude and not easy to work along side and they act like they dont care about you in anyway. the members really make it a fun work place but as for a pf family that is non-existent. this is a un-pleasable company no matter what you do for them.
Pros
nice members, some nice staff, easy work flow if managed properly
Cons
horrible management, strict guidelines
Typical Customer Service Job
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 1, 2019
You do basic customer service things like answer calls and handle people at the desk. My managers are irreplaceable. They completely understand if situations come up and will work with you about scheduling or offer open shifts if you mention wanting a few more hours. The hardest part is definitely being the face that people come to when handling background situations. I learned more patience when it came to customer service and learned how to work a complicated system. The most enjoyable part is the self accomplishment when satisfying others.
Pros
Friendly work environment, best managers
Cons
short breaks
Steer away
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 15, 2018
You are always overlooked. If you're not favorited, you won't get promoted. Pay is trash, they pay you the lowest they can to do all the work. Once management leaves you basically run the place. Once you do all your tasks there is nothing else to do. They expect you to go above and beyond for them and you don't get appreciated. Management talks bad about you to co-workers, degrading you. The nice side of it all is the friendship you make with your coworkers.
Pros
Friday lunch, free gym membership
Cons
lack of management
Planet Fitness was a friendly work environment
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 11, 2018
Planet Fitness challenged me to work with customers both face to face and over the phone. It also taught me time management in the sense where there were certain times I'd have to leave the front desk and do floor checks to make sure the gym was clean, spray bottles were refilled, and the bathroom was up to par. My favorite part of the job was helping to solve the problems of customers and helping them understand their membership.
Pros
reasonable lunch breaks, benefits, friendly environment
Cons
must find someone to relieve you if you cant make it regardless of the situation, favoritism, etc
it is a really decent place to work
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 25, 2018
The schedules are locked and if you request time off at least 2 weeks in advance, you get it.
They are very flexible and management is kind of hands of for the most part.
Communication is good-managers will leave notes, or text with concerns or other tips.
Very relaxed because there is no reason to
remind workers how to do their job assignments that doesn't change..its a good spot.
Pros
free membership and flexible schedules
Cons
raises..
Bad experience
Night crew (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZDecember 19, 2018
My first day was scheduled during a promotional discount. No one trained me until I asked for help. As a full time student, I asked for day shifts and was instead put as the only front desk night crew. Since they were short staffed, I didn't complain. But after a month of gaining new employees that I helped train and asking to be switched to day, I was constantly ignored. Management would flip over the smallest imperfections, and never acknowledge when I tried to go above and beyond.
Night crew was also paid more, which I didn't find out until much later and had to hassle management to pay me the CORRECT AMOUNT. Planet Fitness never reimbursed me for all the graveyard hours with incorrect pay.
Pros
free membership
Cons
everything else
No job security
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJanuary 10, 2019
The management is terrible, and i mean terrible, some coworkers are like high schoolers and the assistant manager smokes weed everyday so don’t trust the judgement. The only person who cleans is the night cleaners and day time but besides that only a couple of staff memebers are reliable. They’ll write you up or fire you based off off personal opinions. Do not work there is you want a consistent job.
Pros
Free black card
Cons
Terrible management
Fun working environment helping people make life transformations.
Front Desk Team Member (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 3, 2018
Checking people into the gym, talking with members about their goals and how to reach them, helping them use equipment throughout the gym, and being a positive encourager to those that may be struggling. Also working with my fellow classmates and interacting with many different types of people that make up the community.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no breaks, constantly standing in one spot for 6-8 hrs, and very low staffed
Slow paced and stressful
The member services Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLDecember 3, 2018
I honestly wouldn't recommend this job unless you have no other option or only plan on staying here temporarily, a lot of favoritism between the manager and certain workers, will cut yours hours the moment they hire someone new, management doesn't care for workers that don't suck up to them, lack of recognition for workers who actually do their jobs, a lot of cleaning all the time while the other employees do nothing at all in the front desk besides answering phone calls, no commission for selling black card memberships even though that's what the store only ever wants us to sell, the amount of work for the amount they pay hourly is ridiculous.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No breaks
Clerk
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILDecember 6, 2018
I loves working for Planet Fitness. I was unfortunately let go for being too sick to work. When i was able to show up for work i went above and beyond the job description. However the management decided to keep people who would hide in the bathroom stalls on their phone or not finish their assigned work for the day. I would love to go back to working for Planet Fitness. I feel me being let go was understandable but i also worked very hard
There is good and bad
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CANovember 29, 2018
The culture and philosophy of being a "Judgment Free Zone" is a great concept, but not practiced by some of the upper management. Other than the whole clique attitude and constant micromanagement, the members, and staff at each location were great up to management level. Unfortunately, had to jump through a lot of hoops to get anything done to help improve the gym
Pros
Great benefits for FT employees, promote from within, decent pay, gym membership
Cons
Clique mentality with some of management, micromanaging from some of the regionals
Is a good started job for the start of your career path
Manager (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYNovember 29, 2018
It becomes mind numbing work eventually. Its the same job and tasks day in and day out. I learned how to hire and conduct interviews. I learned about and became manager within my first year of employment. The workplace culture was good, they offered holiday parties, compensation benefits (401k matching), health insurance. They gave more than expected. Hardest part of the job was lancing work and home life. It was easy to take either one of those "lives" into each other.
Pros
good starter job to prepare you for real life
Cons
Work can be boring and repetitive
A good time
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI 48197December 22, 2018
First things first, you get yelled at my members, but it is honestly fun. The training was great at my location, so you always felt confident that the policies and rules you were upholding are correct and reasonable. Myself and the staff all agree that we haven't had a day where we didn't want to go into work. The morale is through the roof.
Pros
everything
Cons
cleaning isn't very fun, but it definitely isn't the worst thing ever.
Amazing company.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hialeah Gardens, FLNovember 22, 2018
Working in this company has allowed me to grow and learn about what it is to be a leader and a manager. To work amongst your peers, you have day to day people coming in positive attitudes which can honestly turn your day around and of course some few sour apples but in all honesty. This company feels like family and its a pleasure working here. Working here you receive enough training so that you can progress in the company and be an awesome manager one day.
Pros
Amazing staff, the work environment is super energetic.
Cons
No job security, benefits.
Great place to work My normal hours were 10 PM to 6 AM it was very relaxed I love the customers helping them with whatever they need
Overnight customer service and cleaner (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 22, 2018
Usually when I clock in I'll help customers set up their own account and scan the customers so they can work out and I would go to the trash bands probably around midnight take out the trash clean the mirrors in the bathroom vacuum and mop the floors make sure all the fitness equipment is in line. My normal hours were 10 PM to 6 AM it was very relaxed I love the customers helping them with whatever they need