Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 2,637 reviews matching the search See all 2,758 reviews
Active working place
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 16, 2018
I learned to work with impatient customers and how to be patient with them and the hardest part of the job was how to maintain the gym clean because the gym is in use everyday so sometimes keeping it clean was an issue.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers because we always worked as a team and helped each other out with any situation.
Pros
Free Memebership
Cons
short breaks, inconsistent work hours
Gym
Overnight Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHNovember 15, 2018
I actually loved working for this company. Not only that fitness is where i took part of a whole new and improved lifestyle. Helping people reach their goals was good to be apart of. By the tools we as a company provided it helped others gain
Very friendly work environment
Overnight Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXNovember 14, 2018
I learned several different task such as , customer service and how to interact with guest to the gym, I learned how to clean certain equipment and give tours
Pros
good people and fun environment
Cons
overnight shift was insanely boring
Slow paced front desk environment
Front desk representative (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 14, 2018
No raises unless you want to move up into management. No overtime allowed. A typical day is selling memberships, answering the phones at the front desk, cleaning your designated cleaning section, as well as policing club rules on apparel or behavior. My specific franchise's owner was very cheap so I'm not sure if the no raises is a company wide thing or not. Majority of the job is dealing with complaints. Whether it be billing problems or people being upset about how much it costs to join a gym. Theyre really big on scripts. You have to follow scripts word for word when giving tours or info calls. They often have corporate come in as a secret shopper and do an audit of sorts. They check absolutely every surface that could have dust on it, as well as pick out employees and ask for one of those scripted responses... and if you don't say it word for word, your club's entire inspection score gets docked points. No incentive to sell membersips. No comission, no raises, no praise. Just doing your job. A lot of people at this job are very lazy and do nothing at the desk all day. Low motivation environment. Try really hard to push a no body-building culture so people that don't workout often are more comfortable coming here. I got lucky and got an amazing manager, the best one I've ever had. The hardest part of the job: living in a rough area and facing the backlash of these angry people. I've had people throw their drink at me because they weren't allowed to use the gym due to non-payment. I guess what im saying is only work at a PF in a high class area, because the weirdos can get  more... scary in a 24 hour gym.  less
Pros
Low stress, no drug testing
Cons
Greedy franchise owners, no raises, no benefits
Amazing, maybe not long term
Gym Employee (Current Employee) –  Hobart, INNovember 14, 2018
Love working here, amazing atmosphere, awesome people. Lots of teddious cleaning but this is a gym so it makes sense. Mandatory classes for computer skils were appreciated, good training. Good management, flexible with college schedule.
Pros
Flexibility, some friendly customers, discounts and free membership for employees
Cons
Mandatory male and female on shift, 10 min breaks on average, frequently changing policy’s and directions
Losing enjoyment.
Club Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 14, 2018
Working at planet fitness started as a part time job, then became a fulltime job. Working as a Manager has been an interesting experience, and a good one. Just over the past year of being a gm has lost its enjoyment.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Stressful
Fine minimum wage job if you don't mind a lot of cleaning
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 13, 2018
The hardest part of the job is the cleaning and dealing with the poor P.O.S. system. Most of the people are very nice, but there are certainly some moments... I do feel like the pay is low for how much work is expected. The music is bad.
Pros
convenient, easy to get a job here
Cons
low hours, low pay, low benefits
I learned a lot
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Northville, MINovember 13, 2018
Fun job! You get to interact with a diverse group of members and about their personal stories. Learned a lot about myself through leadership books and coaching sessions I was able to attend.
Overall a decent experience
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 13, 2018
Every day will consist of greeting and establishing rapport with gym-goers, checking-in said patrons, answering the phones, establishing and canceling memberships, giving tours and cleaning.

Due to the fact that each Planet Fitness is independently owned and operated, your experience may have slight differences. That being said, one similarity I have noticed is the difficulty in getting a raise as well as a general inadequacy in regards to base pay. If you have debt whatsoever, you will more than likely have to try (if approved by your manager and gym owner) to take on extra hours or establish a second job altogether.

As far as cleaning is concerned, I advise you to refer to your contract when asked to do things that seem to stray off the beaten path. My club manager in particular had us fix broken toilets, broken gym equipment, as well as malfunctioning televisions, all without proper compensation. On top of managing the front desk and cleaning the gym, these extra duties will become incommodious.

One plus side to this position, for me, was the constant interaction with individuals in the gym. You will be completely enveloped in a socially diverse environment and unless you have prior experience with this it will either become a downfall or an opportunity. In my case, I was able to further develop my interpersonal skills thus allowing me to construct strong relationships with members.

At the end of the day it is a high-school level job. You will more than likely encounter young and inexperienced as well as uneducated leadership. I do not think it is a bad job HOWEVER
  more... (in my opinion) it should only be treated as an interim position.  less
Pros
Free gym membership, patron interaction/networking opportunities
Cons
Inadequate compensation, no benefits, young/inexperienced leadership, lack of regard from (particular) gym owner
Fun work environment with music..
General manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 13, 2018
A typical day starts with auditing work and reviewing sing ups and cancellations from the previous day. At (PF) I've learned how to deal with any type of customer from angry and aggressive to calm and nice. Management has been great and do a great job at being leaders.. The culture here strongly believes in customer and employee satisfaction.The hardest part of this job would be the new years rush, Having to sign up over 100 memberships in a day. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and change lives on a day to day basis.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
long days
Too much work for not enough money
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 12, 2018
As a manager I was happy with the money I made. As an a team member it was bad! If you desire to be a manager at pf then go for it. You will make somewhere around 40,000 and 45 a year with bonus. As a team member you are asked to do to much with little time. They pay nothing. $9 ... You can work less and get paid more at mc Donald's. The privately owned district people in NJ dont know what they are doing. The corporate pf
'S are the way to go if anything. Stay away from Linden and their affiliates. Newark, east orange, Elizabeth, Somerset ect.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Everything else
Definitely a last resort job
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 11, 2018
Pretty much all the bad things you’ve heard about working at Planet Fitness is true. What they pay you compared to what they expect from you is far too unreasonable. Management is horrible and hardly ever train employees properly but will be quick to hold them to a certain standard. If you want to waste your time and get 0 fulfillment out of your job then Planet Fitness is the place for you.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Poor management, wages, unrealistic expectations
terrible
Team members represenative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 10, 2018
I got hired on October 27. Worked a saturday night with co worker worked sunday night by myself, monday night by myself. Wednesday night by myself and sat/sun by myself. I just got fired 2 days ago because I was lacking information that was not shown to me. Very unfair in my eyes.
Pros
free water.
Cons
Terrible Management
It’s good experience teaching people how to use the machines
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  1000 e washington blvd Los Angeles ca 90021November 9, 2018
Come early parking is bad Thursday fridays the gym is empty great patient customer service clean floors big stretching area machines are sometimes down but get fixed during the weekend
Terrible culture
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MINovember 7, 2018
Culture of poor senior leadership and high turnover.. this company was driven by 1 thing the bottom line. Success is driven through you people unfortunately they will learn this the hard way.
Pros
Free gym and good pay
Cons
Poor micro managed money hungry culture
Enjoyable college gig
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 7, 2018
Free gym membership and a cool atmosphere makes this a really coll college job. Flexible hours and a good social atmosphere. WOuld work again if the pay was better.
Low pay
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILNovember 6, 2018
Great stepping stone if you want to start in the fitness industry. Friendly staff, just don’t expect to make a career from this place. Pay is very low.
Pros
Get your foot in the door
Cons
Pay
Unorganized
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 6, 2018
Planet Fitness was very unorganized and management was often unhelpful. There was a toxic work environment that often affected the staff. Staff was pleasant.
Fun Place
Front Desk Receptionist/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PANovember 6, 2018
Good job to start working at to save up money. Company works well with flexible schedules for those who are still in school. Good group of employees and a great manager.
Relaxed
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJNovember 6, 2018
Working at planet fitness was a fun, relaxed placed. Member are great and friendly. However not much hours were available and compensation was not enough