Planet Fitness

Based on 2,736 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Good job

Great job to learn about the body and how to workout to lose weight and better health,also learn how to use the equipment and what equipment to use for certain body parts

Employees are very underpaid, management is overworked and underpaid.

Each position in the club is underpaid, especially the fitness trainer. A nationally accredited personal training certification is required, and sometimes the company pays for it if you're getting promoted from member services to fitness trainer. However, education level and certificates don't have an impact on pay unfortunately. The company doesn't give raises or bonuses. The only way to get a pay increase is to get promoted to another position.

Pros

Easy work and ability to interact with members which can be fun.

Cons

Underpaid

Fun work place terrible management

I’ve made some life long friends here and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know and serve members. I can’t say that there’s no room to move up because they do promote from within but it’s not worth it. They don’t care about their employees or members. I got lucky with an amazing GM but they have over worked and underpaid him to the point of him leaving. Now that he’s leaving I no longer have any desire to work for this company. Management is going south quickly; our new regional manager is astoundingly disrespectful and unprofessional.

Pros

Members and coworkers can be amazing

Cons

Low pay, bad management

Very fun place to learn and grow.

Planet Fitness is geared towards those who plan on coming in working hard and making it to the top. although they have a different type of corporate ladder its still obtainable a very easy climb. Just show up and do your job effectively I love this place because you are rewarded and paid greatly for the amount of work you have to do plus you have the numerous opportunities to advance.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

No real breaks

The manager and regional manager don’t seem to care about keeping the gym clean

I was employed for a little over 4 months just as a second part time job. I didn’t receive full training. I never felt like I was a part of a team. I got treated as if my qualifications didn’t matter. I was more qualified for the manager position but was overlooked while 2 people with zero experience were promoted. I clearly didn’t fit the “brand” of Planet Fitness because I’m not a 20 year old skinny college student. I asked for additional help on the shifts that I was scheduled and never got it. We were “short staffed” yet during the work week there’s always 3-5 people just standing around. I had numerous members complain not only about how disgusting the bathrooms were but also how rude and disrespectful the other staff are, including the management!

Pros

Free membership

Cons

No breaks, low wages, improper training, unclean, unprofessional, rude, disrespectful, and irresponsible staff.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Fun place but they don't care about you

It's a fun place to work if you're into the fitness lifestyle but management and corporate do not see their staff as people. The pay is terrible for the amount of detail and work they expect from you and advancement is based on favoritism and outsourcing rather than hard work. Hours are sometimes flexible but they are quick to let people go despite valid conflicts such as childcare or law school. You can make more money stocking shelves at a grocery store than the assistant managers make.

Pros

Friendly co-workers

Cons

bad pay, toxic environment, corporate does not see employees as people

Not Professional Environment at all

To say the least it was the worst experience as far as training to working culture sucks. I can go into so much detail but not enough characters. Bad

Pros

Free Gym Membership

Cons

Training, Work Culture, Management, Too much Gossip about other employees, Not Professional

not fun to much drama and no room to move up

I learned for 70% of the day you stand at the desk the other 30% of the day your deep cleaning every single second, no sitting down while management gets to sit In the office, they expect you to have the whole gym clean in 4 hours but still find things to clean after words. You are a maid when you work here that's it, pay is the lowest of the low and you can get paid more as a greeter at Walmart.management will not cover a shift to say your life even if the coworkers have to work a 16 hour shift they do not care and they mess up your paycheck

Pros

2 free member ships

Cons

everything

Fun work place bad management

Managers play favorites, which can be very annoying. But the co workers you’ll meet will make working there worth it. Overall not a bad work place. The pay is bad and the breaks are short. And you don’t get pto

Horrible management

Working for this company was not the best experience. The regional manager is very inconsistent and untrustworthy. They have poor work ethic and no compassion for their workers

just don’t work there

save yourself the time. management, moving up, good pay, and satisfaction are not what you’ll find here. you mainly reclean the same areas your whole shift and check people in

Pros

you get to hang out at a desk mainly

Cons

management and pay

Stay away

You're expendable. Corporate does not care about desk staff or trainers. Planet Fitness as a whole doesn't value members or employees. The company exists only to create more PF locations, and more managers. It's fine if you have nothing else to do, but this won't pay your bills or further your career.

Pros

Free Black Card membership

Cons

Low pay, minimal benefits, terrible schedule

They are amazing, and they give you so much room to grow with them. I lam blessed to be with this company

They are amazing, and they give you so much room to grow with them. Iam blessed to be with this company love working for planet fitness and sunshine fitness llc.

Easy work, slow growth, terrible upper management

Easy work. Company makes promises it can not keep, promotes favorites as opposed to best candidates. Low pay with a suspended bonus program. Culture is terrible. Will try and maintain morale with free t shirts and pizza parties as opposed to monetary raises for employees.

Pros

easy job

Cons

slow growth, terrible upper management, not competitive pay

deadend

if you want to be stressed, overworked, dealing with members yelling and cursing at you, managers turning the other cheek when one of their favorite employees does something wrong, just to be underpaid, well then this is the job for you. planet fitness is a greedy company that offers little to no growth whatsoever.

Pros

meet new people

Cons

no benefits, not enough hours, terrible pay, toxic management

Possitive people, low salary

I love working in Planet fitness because the people are really positive and the customers are very polite. But the salary in Puerto Rico they still pay 7.25. I don't think its fair when most company have already raised their wages to 8.50 or more. The hours were perfect, except with the lack of employees you had to open almost everyday at 4:30am and were left alone for almost your entire shift.

Pros

Free water, great people, easy job responsabilities

Cons

Low salary, few staff members, half hour lunches

It’s ok if you’re not really into doing much than cleaning.

This is a corporate run facility and if you don’t mind people who don’t work with you to fixate you work environment this is the place for you. Not only are they strict the pay isn’t all that good I mean it is a gym but at least give the workers something to wanna work for.

Pros

Management is cool

Cons

30 min lunch, average pay, so many restrictions like it’s an actual club

Runs All good employees away

The lack of pay and them hearing anyone who walk through the door makes you hate your job. Very unable to let you have time off for doctors appointments. I got called names. Worst place I’ve worked

Pros

Easy work

Cons

No breaks rude, rude employees

Good job with not enough pay

I really enjoy working for planet fitness. They're a good company for the most part. But the pay is just nowhere near enough. They aren't keeping up with everyone else as far as fairly compensating workers, which results in good employees constantly leaving for better pay.

Pros

Environment, enjoyable work

Cons

Pay, schedule flexibility

Dead End Position

As a fitness trainer, there was a great opportunity to practice the trade, learn how to communicate with members, and have a set schedule. The down side to the company has to be the "productivity". Too often there are loop holes that the company would use to boost numbers. I chose not to do that for ethical reasons, and got written up. For example, when COVID began, my numbers began to drop while other neighboring gyms still had a "consistent" 100%. I know for a fact it's not true, but because people want their jobs I can understand why they gave into pressure. There is no opportunity to change your schedule. Raises are limited, and do not equivalate to the work that's put in. As a trainer, you are the entire gym's group instructor and one on one trainer. It's a lot of pressure, and energy for a mere $11 to $15. This is a stepping stone position. Don't get stuck here. As you move up, you'll notice the unethical side of the business. On my way out, multiple managers, area managers, head of HR, and area manager supervisor were let go. Maybe things have changed, who knows.

Pros

Membership

Cons

No Opportunity to move up ; dead end ; unethical demands from management

Clear tasks that I can finish in a shift and feel accomplished

Working at planet fitness I thought was going to be more standing at the desk all day. It was however more of cleaning for most of the shift. Though not what I expected time seems to go by pretty fast when I am cleaning. I am assigned clear tasks to complete during my shift and feel good about getting them done.

Pros

Free drinks occasionally and a flexible schedule and managers who care

Cons

For an 8 hour shift you get two 15 min breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planet Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5K

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight