Planned Parenthood

United States1,890 reviews

Found 1,890 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,923 reviews
plannedreproductiveabortionpatientmissionclinicprotesterorganization

Okay place

Great to start off getting back into medical field but the affiliate is in need of remodeling. They are constantly adding and changing things in hopes of growth but the affiliate needs an entire reset. Has potential. Can be frustrating when you feel spread thin and overworked. High turn over rate meaning people who stay are left to constantly pick up the pieces and rebuild. They try to give recognition when due but it honestly doesn’t always make up for the constant stress and demand of the job.

Great purpose, horrible company

Overall, it's a good company with a great mission. It's just the leadership that makes people leave. It's a non-profit that pays in pennies & wants to throw the mission down your throat! The mission doesn't pay the bills! A good place to learn, get some work experience and then dip. There is absolutely no opportunities for growth. If management is friends with your coworkers that automatically disqualifies you for promotions. Underpaid and overworked to the max, handle both front desk and back office care but still don't get fairly compensated for it. No work-life balance when you want a day off, it'll be denied and you're forced to call-off, which then you'll be written up for it! You think you'll be getting full time hours, but when you start it's only 70 hours bi-weekly, which is technically 10 hours off your check! Promised advancement during the interview, if you learn all these skills and no pay is given. You're basically holding the clinic on your shoulders. Staff often work longer than scheduled shifts but no overtime. Weak Union and HR doesn’t take complaints seriously. And like most medical facilities, all decision making is by unlicensed upper management that have never spent 10 hours in direct patient care.

Planned Parenthood insights

Based on 1,114 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

Great training

Training is great for new NPs but flexibility with schedule is horrible . You can’t really get vacation and there seems to be an emphasis on profit over quality care

I was a Health Service Specialist

The environment is so toxic. You have to judge the patients like the rest of your coworkers for them to like you. I hated asking for help because my coworkers were so rude.

Pros

Making a difference

Cons

Staff, environment, pay

VERY Busy Environment

Little time for patients can see upwards of 25+ patients in an 8 hour shift. Little room for growth in company. Not the best environment for a new grad NP/PA

The worst job

It was the worst job. They do not provide any training. All the time when I asked them when my training starts, what is my job? I just got responses to wait until next month. They do not care about anything. Do not work there

Great purpose, horrible management

Schedule is intentionally overbooked, and is touted as "providing access"; patients are often seen 2+ hours late because of this. It is routine for a patient to see a provider for <5 minutes. Awful management and entirely absent management in some cases. Disorganized management, over-packed schedules, and overworked providers = poor patient care.

Pros

Decent compensation

Cons

Bad benefits, no management, no support from physicians, understaffed and overworked

Toxic Memphis Managment, even when you love the purpose of the work

Working his was very bitter sweet. I loved being able to help the patients, I loved being a safe space in a very judgmental world, the job itself, is fulfilling if women's rights is something you are passionate about. The staff in Nashville all feel the same passion for the patients so we are strong and love to help the patients and help each other. HOWEvER.. it is extremely micromanaged by the higher ups in memphis. They show favoritism to any employee that will be the tattle tell because they want eyes in the clinic even though they are 300 miles away. They do not trust the health center manager that's on site , that why they are replacing that position 4 times a year because the managers never stay due to being poorly treated. There is absolutely no opportunities for growth. If you are friends with your coworkers that automatically disqualifies you for promotions because the Memphis Managment only wants loyalty to them, not the people you see daily. They treat the health center manager poorly for protecting the employees they see day to day. They speak to the employees in a very condescending manner. No matter your "rank", you are never safe from being belittled, it doesn't matter if you're the hcm or the janitor. They will make sure you feel small

Amazing mission, Horrible company

Worked as an HCA for 2-3 years, constantly being treated as less than everyone else when we are responsible for MAJORITY of patient care. Underpaid and overworked to the max, handle both front desk and back office care but still do not get fairly compensated for it. Few providers and managers treat us like people, the rest treat us like dirt. Planned Parenthood does not care about Health Center Assistants at all.

Not what I thought it was going to be

Upward mobility is nearly impossible for poc. Definitely disappointed in my experience. Unfortunately there is high turnover. At a time like this they should be empowering their staff and investing in them. Mostly underpaid, under appreciated, disposable.

Great position to get medical experience

This was a really rewarding, fast paced but not overwhelming job that positioned me really well for application to nursing school when the time was right. Having this job during the pandemic was stressful at times, but no more so than any other healthcare institution. Know that this is what's considered a "high volume clinic" so you'll get lots of patients throughout the day. Extensive training is offered to prepare you for this position, so while they often hire MA's, an MA license is not required.

Do not work here

Overall the company is a horrible one to work with. First off: I was misgendered quite a lot while working and my managers didn’t real do much to help stop it, correct it, or much of anything. In fact, I got told I wasn’t inclusive because I would rarely say “you guys” but I was constantly misgendered. On top of that, the work environment was incredibly toxic. You would have coworkers who were rude and disrespectful and didn’t do their job and they were just allowed to continue to act like that. When I brought this up, I was railroaded into quitting. The company doesn’t care about anyone but their providers.

You get to work from home so that is a bonus, the pay does not make up for the high expectations.

The job itself is stressful and training can only get you so far. The trainers do their best to train the common scenarios you handle but the calls can be intimidating if the structure of the company make it difficult to help patients. Be aware of the lack of communication of working EVERY Saturday being mandatory. When they posted the job description in Indeed HR wrote that one of the requirements was to be available to work every 2 Saturdays out of the month. During the interview the managers asked if I was open to working Saturdays. I specifically mentioned during the zoom call that "I am available to work every 2 Saturdays during the month as the job post stated." Unfortunately, both managers did not correct me nor did they clarified that it was EVERY Saturday until I was close to completing my training a month in. I had to give up responsibilities outside of work and more stress.

Pros

Work from home but that is about it.

Cons

Lack of constructive criticism, keep reminding you to do more outside of job aide.

Essential health care for abortion care and reproductive health

A few years ago was a very good place to work for RNs. However, currently due to demand of abortion access needed there have been some bad changes. RN staff is being forced into working Fulltime 10 hour days or leave their position with the company. Zero support from upper management for staff retention. High turnover of staff. Constantly have new staff training other new staff. Losing tons of experienced RNs that are prn or part time. Zero willingness to be flexible with schedules. Low paying for RNs and ancillary staff. Most health centers have outdated buildings and or equipment. Staff often work longer than scheduled shifts but no overtime. Weak Union and HR doesn’t take complaints seriously. And like most medical facilities, all decision making is by unlicensed upper management that have never spent 10 hours in direct patient care.

Pros

Benefits, great team of floor staff, great support for patients traveling from out of state.

Cons

Only shift 4 - 10 hour days. No PRN, no part time, and difficult to use PTO due to staff shortages

Management retaliation

Management retaliation is very common, the turnover rate is high. Workplace drama is very high. The would give you a raise to compensate work you’ve been doing for a year, then try to triple it and say they’ve already given raises for the year.

Meaningful Work/ Low Opportunity for Advancement/ Hard to be a Parent here

The work you do each day is stressful, but incredibly meaningful. You learn many valuable skills related to patient care. Management was knowledgable about position and would always step in to help answer questions, however, one manager in particular would consistently make employees feel stupid for asking questions. Many employees struggled with their style. All of the managers in my department had been there for years and there was no chance of advancement within that department and several employees applied for roles in other departments, but were consistently not given that chance leading to their eventual leaving of the company despite loving the work. During the time I was there there was one parent on a team of 25 and little understanding from management about that person needing to leave to pick their children up from daycare and not being able to work overtime. New hires were given earlier schedules that the seasoned parent worker kept requesting in order to be able to care for their children. Overall lack of support for parents and it was uncomfortable those that were parents to identify as being a parent. Schedules change all the time and you are frequently asked to work many weekends and stay to work overtime.

Unexpectedly Fired

I loved working for this company, I was super excited and loved working here. Staff is cool and easy going but they will favor seniority over someone who actually does their job. I was unexpectedly fired after going through months of harassment and rudeness from a co-worker. Management would ask about the team's feelings towards the situation but fired me for my honesty after countless amounts of complaints from multiple people from multiple clinics. Sad to say I was let go from a job and company I loved and supported in many ways.

Poor work conditions; great team

Leadership and management pushing for greater productivity and profits. Transitioning to model of patient visits every 5-10 mins with 2 appointments booked in the same slot (sometimes 3) which is affecting patient care. Burnout and turnover are high. Patients and staff are wonderful. Pay, morale, and PTO are low. Sad to see org run itself into the ground as mission is commendable and the org itself could do great work in the community.

Administration & management was poor then

When i was there management preyed on nursing staff & and administration didn’t listen to the List of complaints about anything. Nor was management on n site when needed most You were told to do a time adjustment sheet at the end of every week just to be accused of stealing time and the later TERMINATION.. smh. Glad to hear they changed things around for the better .

Toxic Management ruined my dream job

I applied to PP overqualified for the position, however, i am so passionate about their mission it didn’t matter to me PLUS HR and the manager promised I would be promoted after my probationary period. I put more effort, positivity, and detail into my job than anyone in the clinic and I am stuck being underpaid and underutilized because HR will not move me up. I love what I do and the patients are what keep me coming to work.

Poor pay, overworked

Standard nonprofit. Lower wages with leadership exploiting your support for the movement to keep you motivated. Colleagues were amazing, leadership not so much

Common questions about Planned Parenthood

Answered by current and former employees at Planned Parenthood

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planned Parenthood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

87%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss