Planned Parenthood

United States1,872 reviews

Clear

Found 716 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,904 reviews

Started out okay

I really had high hopes, but as we were in the middle of the pandemic a lot happened. I was one of the high risk individuals for the pandemic. EVERY LITTLE THING that could be a symptom you have to be tested and sent home for, and they won't let you back until you test negative. But then they turn around and said I missed too many day, when they wouldn't let me come in!

Pros

friendly environment

Cons

try to make you change your requested days off last minute, unaccomidating

It depends on the location

Some management is really good, it depends which center you are in. If you do your best and are easy going with people, you will do fine. I enjoyed my team.

Planned Parenthood insights

Based on 1,062 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Fast Passed learning environment with an agenda.

Great meaning to the work and the over all goals, but severely understaffed. Being non-profit doesn't offer much to start off with and advancement comes with increased knowledge. Unfortunately not enough staff to be able to provide training and get the job done. Clinical management can be great and understanding, but out of the clinic those running certain sections don't understand the stress and unrealistic expectations their placing on their staff. Suffers from poor communication and both staff and patients suffer. Worked there for 10+ yrs and over time I fell less in love with my job, which was unfortunate because the mission to help those in need is very important.

Everything is terrible about them

Run away if you can.This organization is a joke unless you love working with drama queens only.I am still not fully recovered from the trauma I got from them.They ruined my life.I wanna call trash collector to roll their facilities to stop them from harming more innocent people.

Unhealthy work environment

Overall, the work done at any Planned Parenthood is great as it is important for everyone to care for their patients. Based on personal observations (at this specific location) it wasn't all 'rainbows and butterflies,' the way people think working at Planned Parenthood is. Some workers have been judgmental towards patients, or even to each other which does not promote a healthy work environment. Everyone seemed to just be doing their own thing, the workplace didn't feel like a "work family." Work life is productive which is a good perk if you like being fast-paced. When I was working there, after the first month I started to feel as if I wasn't doing my job well because I was being called into the office almost every week, being scolded over little things that were not worth being scolded over. Not sure if every planned parenthood is like this, but I sure wasn't the only employee experiencing that. If management were better and would have done something to improve, the work environment would have been a MUCH better place and maybe a lot of people would have stayed there.

Reproductive health assistant

There are annual raises which are scaled based, not to much room for growth. Unless you have a position in upper management. There are some changes that are happening in within the agency as far as diversity and inclusion

Amazing coworkers, poor management, horrible pay

As a health center assistant, I was able to help innumerable patients and feel like I had a purpose. I got along very well with my fellow HCAs, the management, and clinicians. However, I felt that the upper management outside of the clinic didn't regard the needs of those working inside the health center. The union had to fight tirelessly to get "reasonable" pay and we are still getting paid much less than we should be, making it difficult to stay there for long. They have hired a couple of inexperienced managers, while those of us who would like to move up in rankings have not been able to. I am happy to be able to help patients and work amongst compassionate and personable people in the health centers but ultimately wish that the management outside of the health center valued its workers more that are doing the hard work for the company.

Great environment

Worked with some wonderful women. Very supportive. Hard workers. Worked as a team always. Treated all patients with care. Lots of laughing. Lots of support.

Pros

Coworkers. Management.

Oh boy.

This company would be way better if they paid ppl exactly what they deserve. A medical assistant is doing more than what the nurse would do and not getting paid enough. Overworked and underpaid. Higher ups treat ppl like the help. Planned parenthood is great when it comes to providing safe health care to patients but they are very horrible at giving their workers better pay.

don’t do it. Not worth it. Maybe a different location with better management but not the Santa Monica location. Their HR department is the worst.

Santa Monica location is the worst compared to any location. Also they (no offense) get some of the most rude and entitled patients who would always get their way which management would ok after telling the employee no, making the employee look like the bad person. Too much work drama the employees don’t all get along and this can at times make this a very divided and hostile work environment. Overworking employees. Would want employees not to have overtime but want employees to finish anything they ask for with a heavy patient flow by the time they clock out. Lack of communication starting from supervisor. It’s just a mess there. Highly stressful work environment also a lot of micromanaging from supervisor as well as some of the employees. Oh no such thing as grace period but there’s a “grace period “ lots of contradictions for a lot of things. HR doesn’t care trust me you can take things to them and they always find a way to justify the wrong doings and concerns or sweep things under a rug. Once they have it out for you you’re done. I’ve seen this happen to a few employees before it happened to me. They will find every little thing to write you up and get you out. Supervisor is part of the problem. They are also involved in a lot of the drama bc they will also be talking behind peoples back to other employees and fellow supervisors/ managers at other locations. Toxic work environment over all. So much more I can write but think this is enough.

Pros

Get to work with the cedars team & different pay rate(higher) for Santa Monica location only.

Cons

Over work their employees, management team, some of the coworkers as well as HR team now are terrible, any concerns you have are mostly overlooked, Get sided eyes for bathroom usage or water breaks by supervisor as well as some coworkers, Parking location, Stressful work environment, No such thing as work/life balance, No such thing as part time, There really isn’t much room for growth.

Toxic work environment with no recognition

Working here was full of unnecessary drama. You can't even trust your co-workers to have your back when you're in the right. Managers take credit for the hard work YOU do without giving you any kind of recognition. They sometimes even make you do their work (work above your pay grade) because they don't feel like it.

Pros

Simple tasks, good company mission

Cons

Drama, not enough pay, no recognition

Working with toxic staff each day will take a toll on your mental health.

Toxic is what I would say about working for this company. Staff is very cliquish and gossip runs rampant. I would not advise anyone to work for this company to turn over are rapid.

Pros

Paid is good

Cons

what you have to put up with

uneven experience

the good- mission driven orgthe bad - unclear management practices - lack of target / goals - workplace politics - lack of quality supervision

Chaotic, lack of standards, constantly stressful

A typical day at Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is 10 hours filled with disrespectful treatment by executive leaders who do not do their jobs, lack of oversight by the board of directors and PPFA, poor patient care by doctors who are untouchable, and no polices and practices to guide this inconsistent, inequitable, and unfair workplace.

Pros

Reproductive rights focus

Cons

Terrible leadership, financial mismanagement, unfair treatment, poor patient care standards

Challenging but fulfilling role

This is a great start to a career in healthcare. Fast pace environment in the call center with training in healthcare and customer service. As an employee, you need to be customer service motivated, and strong problem solving skills. I really enjoy what I do, I love to help patients and the team. Healthcare has always been a passion of mine so happy to be working for such a great organization. Management is great, they’re driven with realistic goals and are also in the front lines helping us.

Pros

Great benefits Team communication Friendly staff

Cons

Outdated office

Productive and fun work environment, supportive colleagues and management, excellent pay.

I absolutely LOVE working for this organization and I am excited to go to work every single day. I find my job to be extremely rewarding and fulfilling.

Pros

1 hour lunch breaks, manageable schedule/workload, supportive management, great compensation.

Cons

Long 11 hour days but it goes quickly.

Stressful

Very stressful, stressed! So much stress, premature grey hairs. Minimum pay for maximum stress. The organization thinks we'll work ourselves to the bone for their mission.

The mission

Planned parenthood has an outstanding mission and your clinic co-workers are the best. Upper leadership is challenging and rude. The work culture is hard to appreciate, as it is completely one-sided. Performance is not highlighted, you must have friends to be promoted. The pay is low.

Pros

Vacation/Holidays

Cons

Job duties don’t align with compensation. Racist culture in executive leadership.

Proud to tell people I work here/ very little work life balance

Fantastic mission and a clear reason for getting up and going to work every morning. However, burnout is high, particularly given the political environment. CEO is clear and setting exciting goals for equity and the future of work - remains to be seen how management will implement.I'm proud to tell people I work here.

Mentally and physically draining

Very stressful job and environment. Everyone had a attitude from the start of the day to the end of shift. From the nurses to management to the patients. Very draining mentally and physically .Always short staff, no accountability, favoritism from the managers with some employees. And can’t forget to mention little pay.

Cons

Leadership fosters a culture of fear

Leadership governs by fear. There is little support for development, ethics, or resource stewardship. Great mission but terrible leadership. Quality of patient care is poor.

Pros

Mission

Cons

Culture of fear

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planned Parenthood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Planned Parenthood.
Powered byComparably