PLATINUM SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE Employee Reviews

Potential to make a lot of money.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJune 28, 2018
Make sure you’re not afraid to talk to potential customers. You can make as much money as you want. Great company but the work is not for everyone. It costs a lot to get started and without knowing what you may or may not take home every week is tough.
Pros
Lots of free trips.
Cons
Gone Monday through Thursday every week in a motel
Well, I guess you have to work somewhere.
Worker Bee (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJune 24, 2018
Upper management is clueless. CEO was brought on board for some unknown reason, only thing he has managed to do is post flat or lower sales every year since hire. Also has history of burying companies, while padding his household income by contracting his "consultant" spouse. Rampant nepotism. Great place to work with huge advancement potential if you are a secretary with an MBA. The work of a few bright and talented souls is negated by mismanagement from the upper level of the company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
See review
Pay is great, if you don't mind taking HUGE risks.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 20, 2018
100% cold call door-knocking commission for insurance sales. No leads. If you don't make a sale, you don't get paid. After 6 weeks they expect you to make 2 sales per day, which is impossible if you're new. However if you do make a sale, it's a big payday that comes in. That is IF your customer doesn't cancel their plan within the first year, which then you've got to give it back. You're expected to make enough sales to compensate for it though.

Doesn't help that you have to pay for your own hotel every night, Monday - Thursday night, occasionally Sunday - Friday night. Don't believe the "we respect your family time, and will never make you leave your house before 6 am on Monday morning" to go to your work town. I was shamed by my boss a few times in front of my co-workers for being late, because he expected me to leave Sunday afternoon to drive 7 1/2 hours to go to my job site a state away, so I could be there for the 8 am meeting. No paid travel, no company car. Expect to put 1000+ miles a week on your own car, with having to pay for your own gas.

6 am meeting every morning, 11 pm meeting every night. expected to be out the door of your hotel at 7 am, and hitting the road hard, making cold call door knock appointments till 11 PM, sometimes later if your appointment runs late. You'll meet some really great people out there, but if you're not making a sale with them, you're wasting your time.
Pros
Good pay when you make a sale.
Cons
No healthcare, no PTO or sick days, no company car or paid hotels. away from family Monday-Friday.
Not very rewarding
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 11, 2018
Hopefully the "get the contract signed at ANY COST" atmosphere has been rectified. The manager and assistant manager I worked for were at best crooked
Hard Work HUGE Rewards
Field Agent-Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 9, 2018
Excellent products and great people. If you are wiling to learn the product, follow their selling system (which is low-pressure) and work hard you can make a lot of money and be rewarded with promotions and incredible trips for you and a partner. This is not MLM and promotions are not necessary to make great money. One of the main benefits is also the only drawback: You will travel Mon-Thurs, but at the same time you will be completely free from work Fri-Sun.
Be Your Own Boss
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 13, 2017
The supplemental insurance business is very fast-paced and takes long hours of hard work each day. The commission and bonus opportunities are excellent, along with the opportunity to qualify for company paid trips. Making six figures is common for each agent.
Pros
High Commissions, Company Paid Trips
Cons
Nothing is guaranteed, Long hours each day, Travel each week.
Door to door cold call sales
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Waldron, ARNovember 9, 2017
Door to door cold call sales are not a very friendly enviroment the worst day I had a guy pull a gun on me and my trainer.
If you do make a sell the pay is good.
Pros
pay
Cons
door to door cold call sales
Fast paced and professional
INSURANCE SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 21, 2017
A typical day at work lasts for about 16 hours beginning in the morning and extending into the night. The day is spent cold on current customers and prospective clients explaining the policies offered and quotes on each policy. Management was good, as they gave all of the employees the training needed along with anymore that may be needed. The hardest part about the day was the long hours and the fact that it was all cold calling with residents becoming angry when approaching them to explain what the information was for.
Cons
Long work hours
IT Support Analyst
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 2, 2017
This business has really gone down hill in the last 4 years or so. New Management was brought in place and the restructuring was pushing good workers out. Made job very stressful and really hit the employee moral bad. VP that started the company got out - not good sign for a business.
Good people, great product
Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  OklahomaApril 3, 2017
The people are a lot of fun to work with but you must be willing to spend a lot of time away from home. You also need to be able to spend $400 to $600 a week until you can start to make enough sales to become self sustaining.
Pros
Good opportunities to make a lot of money
Cons
Very costly to start. All expenses are 100% out of pocket and most people dont want to, talk to an insurance sales person knocking on their door.
Great Place to Work
SALES REPRESTENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 30, 2017
Loves working for Platinum, but the pay was solely based on commission. No matter how hard you worked, if you did not get a sale, then you did not get a paycheck.
Good company, great ethics
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  NebraskaDecember 27, 2016
Platinum supplemental ins is a great company to work for. I enjoy working with my team and other leadership. You just need to have a pretty cushioned bank account to start with platinum and that is something that I do not have.
Pros
Freedom to make own decisions
Cons
Large out of pocket expenses
Challenging experience
Independent Contractor Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IADecember 19, 2016
This job requires the sales representative to go to the field and knock farmers' door to sell the insurance products. Although the work environment was tough, it motivated me to challenge myself. I had a very motivated team and a friendly trainer, who helped me a lot in the first week of the practice. I earned a lot of practical experiences which are unavailable from class, such as communicate skills, sales skills, and knowledge related to customer services. This experience motivates me to seek more challenges.
Great people and great atmosphere
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  KansasJune 27, 2016
It was a great and supportive environment where you were your own boss. The people on my team were very supportive. Unfortunately, due to my imposing size, people did not want to answer the doors to talk to me. If I could get them to answer the door and talk with me I could make the sale.
Pros
Being my own boss, traveling
Cons
Cold call sales, 100% commission based salary
They provide the product and you do the leg work
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  Debuque IowaJune 22, 2016
A great opportunity to earn serious money at the expense of your personal time. Look at it as your own business. They do not provide any help with the start up cost. (Study material, paying for your licenses, tests, hotels, gas, car maintenance, etc.)
Not my favorite place to work....
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DubuqueMarch 24, 2016
The culture of the company is one of mismanagement and disorganization. Often times it felt as though the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing. The company is in a constant flux and just when one process gets set, they completely change it up again.

I typically felt as though upper management had no idea what they were doing. Nepotism also seemed to run wild.

I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone seeking an actual professional career.
Pros
There are a lot of fun people that work there
Cons
Management is terrible, advancement is difficult, the turn over rate is ridiculous, the company is in constant chaos
if you have the money, and if you can learn quickly.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMarch 18, 2016
When they say its our own business they say "we give you the paper and you pay the rest" you can make it work, but you can also go broke, the experience is enough to join though.
Poor compensation
Producer/ Agent (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 10, 2016
The product offered by Platinum Supplemental Insurance was not a bad product by any means. The policies were competitively priced and pretty comprehensive in terms of what they offered. Having said this the job of producer/ agent was completely commission based. They require you spend your money on gas/ food and accommodations while on the road selling there product. Not necessarily wrong however you only work a 4 day work week in rural country areas sometimes hundreds of miles from where you live. After doing a cost analysis you can quickly conclude that you must sell at least one policy a work week just to break even on the cost associated with selling it. If your looking for a stable income or something other than a 1099 than do not consider a position with this company.
Pros
50 % commision
Cons
1099 tax form.
Overall great company to work for if you don't mind going door to door
Sales Producer (Current Employee) –  Iowa and WisconsinSeptember 5, 2015
Great pay if you can handle going door to door and working long hours while away from home four days a week.

Leadership is always giving extra bonuses during the week to keep up moral and earn extra money.

What I don't like the most is having to go door to door to generate appointments which may or not be there or keep the appointment when you arrive.

Mislead by recruiting person as to how leads were generated. I was told that leads would be provided, but what I found out is that I have to generate my own leads by going door to door.

Even with this in mind, this is still a great company to work for if you don't mind being away from home and driving long hours every day.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Long work hours while traveling away from home
I prefer not to provide details
AGILE PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  dubuque, IAJanuary 28, 2015
This position was not a good experience. The work was very interesting and challenging. The company culture is unprofessional. The IT projects were mainly supporting in house mobile applications that are used by the sales staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PLATINUM SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE. Our community is ready to answer.

PLATINUM SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE Reviews by Location