Plato's Closet Employee Reviews

Great environment for young workers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Avon, INNovember 14, 2017
Plato's is a great place to learn the necessary skills to move forward in today's working world.

You may learn management skills, customer service skills, and even work with data reports.
Pros
In store discount
Cons
No benefits
Great part time job
Team lead duties (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 14, 2017
Great place to work at if you are a collage student looking for a part time job. fast paste environment. Great managers. flexible on hrs. Always room for improvements and possible raises.
Fast-paced fun job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 9, 2017
It was a very fast-paced job. It was very stressful at times but always worth it. I got to meet a lot of different people and learn new things. It was a great, fun job experience with amazing people.
Pros
Free lunches, long breaks
Cons
stressful work environment
poor retail environment
Asisstant Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2017
long hours.
poor management.
stressful environment.
experienced some discrimination based on race and gender.
expected to profile customers based on race.
Negative workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MI 48071November 7, 2017
Plato's Closet was a cesspool of gossip and harsh words. The management often skipped work and was never reprimanded for doing so. Management also brought their personal life to work and often was outside on smoke breaks.
Productive keep to yourself though
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 7, 2017
I loved working there! The people I worked with on the other hand were some of the rudest most difficult people I have ever met. Talking behind the owners back and everyone else's. Giving customers looks and glaring. Horrible people to work with!
Hardest part of the job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VANovember 6, 2017
The hardest part about working at Plato's would be managing your time and making sure that you get your shift list completed before it's time to leave
Fast paced and one on one with customers
Key Holder Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSNovember 6, 2017
It's a great place to work with people one on one. You have to be very strong minded because customers can get out of control.It's a learning experience but worth it.
Great first job
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORNovember 5, 2017
Was a great first job that taught me life skills that I have kept and will continue to use in my day-to-day tasks. The work environment was great, although the customers could sometimes make it difficult because of the area. Overall, it was a great experience.
Fun but stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 2, 2017
If you're looking for an easy job where you won't have anything to do, this is not the job for you. Even if it's slow the manager will find something for you to do, it's also a fast paced job on most days. The people at the store I worked at were a joy to be around but the job itself made me not want to go to work. A lot is expected for just one person and I don't think its worth the pay. You do get first dibs on the clothes people bring in and they're usually understanding when it comes to availability especially if you're in school.
Pros
discount, flexible hours
Cons
low pay w/ high expectations

Want to know more about Plato's Closet?

Ask a question
Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 1, 2017
Plato's used to be a fun, inviting place to work. Since the old manager left, the place has not been the same. New manager is arrogant and has poor hiring choices. At one point, they had an associate that was bullying the staff and they were aware of this and did nothing about it. The associate that was bullying other associates was eventually promoted to assistant manager! Many people have since left (although they did fire the person after 4 months.) Also, the new manager took away our 15 minute break and still expects employees to work just as hard.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Terrible Management, Rude Employees
Hostile work environment, poor management
Key Holder Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 1, 2017
It’s a great job to have when you’re in high school or work part time. I would never recommend working full time there. They do not pay you what you are worth and make you do hard labor for pennies. The management was horrible and the owner was even worse. The only advantages I got during my time there was my amazing coworkers and the clothing discount. I was working there for years full time and still making single digits per hour. The owner also refused to have direct deposit and we had to wait on them when ever they decided to bring in checks.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No benefits, extremely low wages, horrible management
Great Environment
Shift Leader/ Retail Buyer (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 1, 2017
Because its a franchise, you have your own bosses. The owners were very sweet people, their child was not. I was overseen by someone who wasn't experience as his parents were.
Pros
Fun Environment, Cool Clothes
Cons
Staff
Plato's Closet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCOctober 31, 2017
Plato's closet is a wonderful place to work. Once you work at Plato's closet you become a family with your co-workers and it is a very enjoyable environment to be in.
Customer Service Manager/ Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILOctober 30, 2017
Being that I was in highschool and starting off in college when I worked here it was a great place to work for the hours that I needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I got to see great clothes coming into the store that I could potentially buy later.
Great Styles Poor Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 26, 2017
Great styles poor management, what you do on the daily is sort and enter clothes. I learned a lot about fashion, and that managers are hypocrites. I made a lot of great friends.
Pros
Great styles
Cons
Unfair pay
Fun place to work, great first job, expect to plateau
Keyholder/Sales Associate/Stock Associate/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CA 95401October 26, 2017
Plato's Closet is a great place to get experience in customer/guest service for someone who has none. With the right determination, you can gain experience in almost all areas of retail as well, including some management skills such as cash handling, opening/closing shop, and training new hires.
Pros
experience
Cons
potentially hostile work environment, management, benefits, pay
Loved my job, but no guidance or minimal training
Associate (Former Employee) –  WVOctober 24, 2017
I loved this store and employees so much. Loved the atmosphere and perks of this job too. Amazing staff and great location for customers. Easily one of the best places of employment.
Pros
Discount and incentives
Poor Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 22, 2017
Owners are more concerned about money than the success of their store. Financially, they are driving their locations into the ground and their employees are far from happy. Most of them are looking for other work to escape the madness the owners have created. There is no standard for anything. No training tools in play... it's all fly by night.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
No healthcare
Fun, Instructive, Personally Shaping
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAOctober 18, 2017
This store was honestly one of my favorite places to work. The opportunity to learn and move through most of the positions available was at most fast and accomplishable. However, there was little chance of moving up further than lower management or simple sales associate. The hours weren't as consistent as one might hope for, though the longer you worked there the more priority to your schedule was applied. In the end, the compensation simply wasn't enough to sustain when it came to all financial obligations.
Pros
marketing experience, discounts
Cons
inconsistent hours, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plato's Closet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7