Plato's Closet Employee Reviews for Buyer

Found 72 reviews matching the search See all 1,279 reviews
Taught me what a job that doesn't care about you looks like
Lead Buyer/Opener (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJuly 5, 2019
When I worked at Plato's the owners rarely gave us chance for advancement or pay raise. When I became an opener/key holder I was only given a 50 cent raise, when in the past those who trained and became openers were given a full dollar raise.
I was given almost 40 hours a week but kept at the part time level so they wouldn't have to set up any benefits for me. I was truly overworked and underpaid when I was there.
When I finally decided to leave and I gave my two weeks notice, my final check was not directly deposited to my account as all my other paychecks before then had been deposited. I had to come into the store to get a physical form of my last paycheck.
Lively work place
Certified buyer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 17, 2019
Great people and energy. Unfortunately scheduling became an issue. Staff becomes family and customers become regulars quickly. Judgement free and loving space
Good job security but very stressful work environment
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOApril 8, 2019
When you start at Plato's (at least at our franchise) you begin as a "crew" member, so you just tag clothes, run merchandise, and organize the store. From there you learn the cash register, and from there you learn how to buy secondhand clothes.
There is very good job security; I've only known of one person to get fired.
However, nearly 2 in 3 people who work there quit within the first six months, and I understand why. The work environment is very stressful. The store often gets busy and crowded and we are often understaffed. There is also very little wiggle room concerning the schedule. If you are scheduled to work a shift, you have to work it. If you find out you can't, you have to ask the manager's permission to find someone with your job title to take your shift. If you can't find anyone, you have to come in. Otherwise you get written up.
n/a
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 24, 2019
toxic environment ,

not enough diversity ,

low pay ,

little to no hours ,

no benefits ,

no room for promotion ,

no union due to company being franchised
Fun work environment
Certified Buyer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 8, 2019
Great co workers but had some drama. Management was unfair at times but over all good to work with. Also had to take quizzes to test your knowledge on current fashion trends but very easy to learn.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Could not live off wages
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARFebruary 5, 2019
• no benefits
• hard work
• young management
• unprofessionall
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Basic starter job
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNJanuary 29, 2019
Good first job to get you acclimated to working with others and with a little bit of freedom to find a process that works for you but nothing to settle with long term. Young staff and very high school working environment.
Laid back and easy tasks, but quick paced. Fun people and decent customers.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 24, 2018
Week days are relaxed until evenings. weekends are busier but not stressful unless here is a sale going on. Days vary in busyness in different aspects. Some days are not busy with costumers buying things, but are busy when they sell to us; sometimes its the other way around, sometimes both, sometimes neither.
I learned not to stress on the nit-picky details that I used to think I'd get in trouble for when it really isn't a big deal. There are some small things I need to be aware of, but not as much the insignificant things.
In general, the order in which we learn things is reasonable, and sometimes it takes a while to be trained in them because of the general business. But some things, like buying in clothes, needs a longer time to be trained in because there is so much to learn.
The management is relaxed, but we still are on top of things and try to get ahead when we can.
I don't really know what is the hardest part of this job. I've worked here for a while, and I know how most of it works. The tasks aren't necessarily hard, but sometimes are complex and take a while.
The people I work with are fun company. I don't know about the other Plato's closet locations, but we know how to have a good time while working.
Pros
We get pizzas on big event days and are also flexible with schedules
Cons
Sometimes too flexible
Horrible! One of the absolute worst! RUN
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTNovember 1, 2018
The employee turnover rate is INSANE! I worked here for like 4 months and only 3 people are still around from when i started. One of the worst places i have ever worked. Other than the managers only 2 have been there longer than 6 months. They treat their employees like absolute trash then give them candy like its supposed to be a reward, they treat everyone like children. Employees aren't allowed to talk or laugh together, even during the closing up when no customers are around.
You have to find your own coverage if you need a day off no matter the reason or how far in advance you put in for it. Anyone who needs time off due to illness or any emergencies gets their hours cut and discount taken away.
They dont give reasonable breaks they only offer one half hour per 8hour shift which they prefer you divide up into 2 -15 minute breaks that you clock out for.
They hire mostly highschool kids because they can treat them like garbage and they dont know any better and cant stand up for themselves. The register system is outdated and unnecessarily complicated and a huge pain to deal with and learn with complicated discounts and rewards for members.
Pros
The discount is only 20% and it gets taken away for any infraction
Cons
Everything. The toxic working environment as a whole
Review on Platos Closet
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHOctober 21, 2018
Plato's closet was a great job for me in my senior year of high school. I made so many friends and gained a lot of knowledgeable experience. This job taught me so much and helped me gain awesome customer service, respect, responsibility, stability, and connections. This was an overall amazing job and was perfect for me.
Pros
Forever friendships, amazing management, amazing owners, amazing discounts
Cons
Short breaks, no raise, long days, somewhat stressful at times
Plato's Closet doesn't follow labor laws
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INOctober 12, 2018
Owner works girls under age. Over works employees. Withholds paychecks for no reason. Paycheck was never the full amount. Manager threatens employees.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
owner never worked
fast pace but fun
BUYER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 3, 2018
There were days it would be really busy to were you would think it would be stressful but with managers and coworkers I had it was peaceful. Had fun working here and recommend for a first job.
Stressful and Not Worth It
Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 19, 2018
I have worked for Plato's Closet for a couple of years having transferred to a new location after moving for school. The management going from one location to the next was like night and day. The whole store was unorganized, turn-over was crazy bad, and the pay was terrible compared to how much work and time I put in to not only my job position but others as well. After almost forcing me to move up to a key-holder position when I repeated said no they had me train for 3 mornings then wanted me to do it on my own with no help. If you're considering working at Plato's Closet definitely think twice if this kind of work environment is worth it to you.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
messy hours, unorganized, bad management
Fast paced work environment
BUYER (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 16, 2018
This job can be fun at times but drag at other times. Plato's gets super busy and customers tend to get upset very often so managing both of those can be hard. But working there you also get first dibs on all the clothes that comes into the store and you get a 30% discount
Only work here as a side job
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 1, 2018
There are no full-time positions unless its a leadership role. So, if you are paying all of your own bills, do not work here. This job is solely to earn extra money and not live off of.
Pros
as many days off as you want
Cons
no benefits, terrible pay, rude customers
It’s a great place to work, super fun environment.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 1, 2018
Working at Plato’s Closet was a super fun time of my life. My coworkers were so fun and helped me so much my first weeks. Working at Plato’s was never boring, there was always so much to do whether us was little like emptying censor bins or big like checking out 20 people in line.
Pros
20% discount, first dibs
Cons
Short breaks, after closing sometimes you stay for hours doing closing duties.
Sometimes relaxed, sometimes very fast paced
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2018
Typical day for a buyer is sorting through clothing and buying in what the store is looking for. Cashing out customers that have sold clothes, tagging the clothing that is brought in, and putting it out on the floor. Sometimes very fast paced other times very very slow. Management rating can vary. It seems like a lot of people don't know what is going on in that store ever.
Pros
discounts, updating your wardrobe, flexible
Cons
pay, hours.
Fast paced but a fun environment.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 2, 2018
A typical day at work is stressful and a fast paced environment. I learned how to communicate with my coworkers and customers. The hardest part of my job would be the difficult customers, but if you handle the situation the right way the customer can leave satisfied. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers find what they are looking for and put outfits together.
Pros
First pick on clothes and employee discount.
Cons
No benefits.
Not much to say
Buyer in Training (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAMay 18, 2018
I don't have much to say about platos. I just want to start applying to jobs already. I think the management at my location really ruined the work experience.
Fun environment
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Maple Shade, NJMay 1, 2018
I loved working at Platos. It was always extremely fun and the staff was like a family. Everyone was always happy to see each other and be there to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plato's Closet. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight