Plato's Closet Employee Reviews

Found 1,241 reviews matching the search See all 1,277 reviews
Terrible management and not enough pay
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 19, 2019
I worked there for only a few months. The owners were terrible and unorganized. Relied on their workers to solve their problems of a lack of hiring and workers. Worked somewhat around my schedule but rarely. Due to lack of workers or everyone leaving, ask-offs were to be put in very far in advance.
Pros
Co-workers were nice, first choice and discount on clothing
Cons
15 minute break. Horrible management. Low pay
Fun, Flexible
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 19, 2019
Fast paced and fun environment. The store manager is understanding and is flexible on hours. Sometimes can be stressful but overall a great place to work.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits
Relaxed workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIApril 18, 2019
This is a slow paced job, good for teenagers and even developmental individuals. You should know all colors of the rainbow and also how to size things correctly. You WILL need a head letter from bank, including your routing and checking number, before receiving any type of pay.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Slow, not busy
This place is such a great work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCApril 17, 2019
I loved working here. All of my coworkers were so nice and so helpful. I got proper training. I got amazing hours. Had good friendships inside and outside of woek
Productive but slow
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2019
I had fun it was more or a retail store. We’d have to hang a certain amount of clothes each day, tag them, and make sure the floor was spotless. We helped customers look for certain things and opened dressing rooms for them.
Pros
Friendly, see new people
Cons
The pay was minimum wage and I couldn’t pay certain things.
Good place to work at some of the staff is fantastic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHApril 13, 2019
It’s a nice place to shop and get cheap clothes but sometimes the staff can be a little too much and bossy. Some girl there do y’all about everyone and it’s crazy. But I do recommend people to shop there cause it is a really nice place.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
So much drama, and unorganized
Fast Paced
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLApril 11, 2019
this job was a job where you would always have something to do. I would learn daily how to become a better manager, and there was always someone who put a smile on somebody face. The management would always be professional, making sure that everybody is doing their jobs that fit the job description, and it was never a job to where somebody did not want to be there.
Pros
Disounts
Cons
Short breaks
busy work, a lot of organizing
Buyer (Former Employee) –  alliance txApril 11, 2019
organizing is the major part of the job since they only carry clothes people bring in so theres a lot of clothes that have to be tagged, put up, fixed every day
Pros
lunch break, discount
Cons
can't really advance in positions after manager
Poor communication
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 10, 2019
The location I was working at I was there for less than a week. I was hired on the spot but later I was fired as there was a false rumor going around of me calling someone 'a blonde', and some text messages as well. No evidence was provided, because this was 100% false. I also looked at the schedule and the co-worker I supposedly said this about I have NEVER once worked with. The manager would not give me a chance to speak on my behalf but instead immediately fired me for no apparent reason. Overall, the drama surrounding this establishment is not something which is enjoyable.
Pros
Always have something to do.
Cons
Drama, favoritism from management, horrible management communication skills.
Good place to shop, bad place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 9, 2019
Management shows favoritism to the workers that have been there since they opened. They kept hiring more people when the new workers already there weren't getting scheduled enough. Before I quit I had not been on the schedule in almost a month.
Good job security but very stressful work environment
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOApril 8, 2019
When you start at Plato's (at least at our franchise) you begin as a "crew" member, so you just tag clothes, run merchandise, and organize the store. From there you learn the cash register, and from there you learn how to buy secondhand clothes.
There is very good job security; I've only known of one person to get fired.
However, nearly 2 in 3 people who work there quit within the first six months, and I understand why. The work environment is very stressful. The store often gets busy and crowded and we are often understaffed. There is also very little wiggle room concerning the schedule. If you are scheduled to work a shift, you have to work it. If you find out you can't, you have to ask the manager's permission to find someone with your job title to take your shift. If you can't find anyone, you have to come in. Otherwise you get written up.
Lack of management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCApril 8, 2019
Platos was very good to me while it lasted I had flexible hours because of school and personal reasons. BUT they lack soooooo much in communication. the store owners are always busy and etc but when you call out for being sick or an emergency they take it as you untrustworthy on fulling your shifts. they cut back your hours without sitting down and talking to you or letting you know in a text message at least. this so unfair. their always gossip and drama. they make it their goal on making you feel like the bad person wanting to leave this toxic place with a lack of communication and management.
they really do rip you off selling your clothes better luck on poshmark. and they basically have a no return policy. 7days on anything but accessories and clearance items WITH receipt has to be same store and no cash back just exchange or store credit.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no discounts, only 15min break, lack of management and communication
Messy Place Of work
Buyer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 6, 2019
Plato's Closet is the absolute worst job I've had. There is no communication present and all there is all negativity in the air. I'm not having it. Do better Plato's.
Terrible management
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 5, 2019
We didn’t get paid enough for the work we did and no one ever got a raise even after working there for years.
Working at Platos will not let you balance life and work.
Pros
Sometimes a 30 minute break with an 8 hour shift
Relaxed
Sales associate and cashier (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAApril 4, 2019
Being able to come into work and be around friends made the job go by much faster. I loved being able to come to work and feel at home even when the days were hectic.
Consignment Store for Teen Clothes
Franchise Owner/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2019
As a franchise owner of Plato's Closet, this store provided my family the opportunity to grow our business knowledge and gave us the foundation needed for future business endeavors.
Not for the weak
Key Holder/Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 1, 2019
Most of the time you will be going through clothes or on the floor. Customers can be rude especially if you do not take their clothing. Not a job for a person that needs flexible hours
Was a fun place to work but full of double standards
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMarch 29, 2019
While working there the turn around on employees was amazing . Hard work little pay . Supervisors don’t have cars so it left to sales associates to do it . Very unprofessional. Not to mention when it’s lunch time you have to be the lunch lady and go get managers food . Nothing in the job requirements were actually the job . It’s literally high school all over again . If someone has an issue everyone knows . They don’t take you to the back if there is an issue they discuss it in front of other employees.
Pros
Fast pace, made some amazing friends
Cons
No breaks, i was treated as a door mat
Productive fun workplace
Worker (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 28, 2019
The establishment was fun to work at and had benefits for first-time jobs. The management was very helpful and the hours were simple to work with during my time there.
The Closet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Deptford, NJMarch 25, 2019
It’s a great job for anyone in high school or looking for a part time job, definitely not for someone who wants over time and benefits. Also great if you are in love with spending your own money, bc the discount makes it hard to leave bc it was nice to have on top of already cheap prices!
Pros
Discounts on clothes, flexible work schedule
Cons
No benefits, very cliquey, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plato's Closet. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight