Play-Well TEKnologies Employee Reviews

Area Manager Life with Play-Well
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 30, 2018
The people at Play-Well are the best people I have ever worked with. I use to be a manager and I was always learning something new. It's a big company but small feeling. Play-Well is slowly growing and open to hear your opinions. Team work was super important aspect to them and they make you feel like family. I will admit thechours are long and stressful depending on the season. Work/family life balance is hard with this job. Overall it's a great place to work for a great cause. Having fun learning engineering/STEM through play with Lego!
Pros
great co-workers, fun environments, team player, a lot to learn
Cons
lot of hours, work can and personal life balance hard
Fun Projects, Not so Fun Travel
Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandApril 16, 2018
Working for Playwell TEKnologies was fun experience as a summer teaching assistant because I was able to engage with school age children and help them learn about scientific and mechanical concepts through Legos. One of the only real downsides was having to travel around the state (and sometimes into MA) to get to the location we were teaching at for the week. This commute was hard on my car and gas at time, and I was not compensated for the inconsistent travel (though the lead teacher was).
Review
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2018
Great company, job role isn't very accurate. Not enough pay for the amount of stress. Not enough time to finish expectations. You're paid to play with Lego.
High energy, fun job; Poor hours
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
This is a great job for someone looking for part time hours. You get to teach fun projects to kids and often spend the majority of the 90 minute classes/3 hour summer camp sessions playing and building with kids.

There's always an opportunity to advance, but most positions will require relocating to another site unless you choose to remain as an instructor.

Pay is plenty fair at nearly $20, including payment for travel time.

The hours are tough, though. Most classes are after school, so you'll work around 2-5, which makes it tough to find another part time job before or after. Days are flexible, though. Summers have the possibility of full time, but it's not unheard of a camp cancelling due to low enrollment and then you're out of a job for the week. Most good managers will try to find something for you to do, at least!

You'll likely never see your coworkers, except for the occasional large event or training sessions.
Pros
Wage, playing with LEGO bricks
Cons
Hours
Fun work place, with toxic management
Activity Center Manager/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 1, 2017
A good place to work part time for 1~2 years, but little opportunity for advancement. Senior managers are toxic and have fallen prey to the Peter Principle, to the point where they spend more time arguing with each other, then running a solid company with actual positive results.
Play-well
Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 26, 2017
Very very well run organization, I ran summer camps teaching children basic engineering concepts with LEGO project. Your job is working with kids so it is more of a teaching jon rather than engineering
Great if you like working with kids
Instructor (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 25, 2017
This job was great if you like working with kids. AS an engineer myself, I was able to keep thinking like an engineer while enjoying my job at the same time.
Awesome Job for Students
Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2017
This was a perfect job while I was taking classes at the community college. The Arizona Manager was great with working out a schedule that fit my classes. Great company to work for!
fun and creative
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORAugust 21, 2017
They put a new spin on engineering with their innovative Lego building idea. Setting up in a circle lead to a more connected group. The teacher was able to use their own initiative to plan which projects to use.
Go to work to play with legos
Assistant Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 14, 2017
It was a fun job where we taught kids about engineering using legos. If you like working with kids then this would be a fun place otherwise you might want to stay away because this has all the same headaches as any job working with kids.
Best Work Environment
Instructor/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2017
Working with kids was a great experience and seeing them improve in our classes week by week was very rewarding. Every employee worked together as a team and made the working environment enjoyable. You get to travel and work at venues to market the company, you put together demos at schools that kids can interact with and see what our company has to offer. Pay was great ($19/hr) starting with $18/hr. I enjoyed waking up everyday to go work, it was a fun experience.
Must love to play
CLASS INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2017
Essentially they pay you good money to be a kid. You get to be creative, play with legos, and make really fun projects. You have to have a lot of energy and patience because you are dealing with small children all the time. Generally the kids love you and are really excited to be there, but they can be a handful. The instructor position is full time during the summer for full-day camps and part time through the school year for after school programming. There is a lot of driving involved, because instructors work remotely and travel to schools across the county. Management and coworkers are extremely relaxed, cool people.
Exciting learning environment for children and instructors.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 14, 2016
It is a joy every day to watch a child understand a new LEGO building project and get engaged in discovering what they are engineering together. Each day working with kids and watching them learn is an enjoyable experience.
Playing with LEGOs
Instructor (Current Employee) –  NY, NJ, PAJanuary 25, 2015
Play-Well TEKnologies (Teaching Engineering to Kids)

-Everyday is different.
-Being able to think on your feet
-Making sure everyone is having a good time
Pros
Paid drive time!
Cons
Traffic
Great idea, poor leadership.
East Coast Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  TelecommutingAugust 12, 2014
I managed 7 managers and helped them reach their goals. I learned many contradictory management philosophies. Play-Well is too interested in creating new systems and not interested enough on spending that capital to refine their product.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Little abilty for advancement, bad management culture.
Educational and fun workplace teaching kids
LEGO Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  Inland Empire, CAOctober 11, 2013
A typical day involves driving to a school and teaching the students basic concepts in engineering and physics with Lego products. I learned a lot about how to help students as well as educate them in a fun way. I had some really good managers and some really poor managers Some really cared about me and my improvement in the company, whereas others paid little to no attention to the maintenance of my area. The hardest part of my job was the long commutes and sometimes terrible traffic days. The best part was working with kids and being able to see them learn and grow.
Pros
fun environment, freedom and independency
Cons
low hours, poor managers, lack of attention given to employees
I played with Legos
Lego Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Anselmo, CAJune 28, 2013
Play Well is a great company. The day would start off by ensuring that I had a lesson plan for the days class. After that I would setup the classroom for the students. All projects were mechanical and structural engineering based. I would encourage kids to think outside the box and when a roadblock presented itself, we would go through problem solving techniques to make it through, never providing them with the answer directly.

the hardest part of the job was the travel from place to place and moving the bins of Legos.

The best part was being able to encourage the imagination of children and playing with Legos on a daily basis.
Pros
Legos, Kids
Cons
Moving the bins
Great People, Great Classes
Play-Well Employee (Former Employee) –  East BayApril 23, 2013
Play-Well has a lot of great people who come from all different backgrounds. Science, retail, LEGO fanatics, you name it, they are all passionate about something.
The company is DIY and can be a little unstable, about 80% of their employees are part time and there are no benefits for part timers.
They have 4 centers for kids, but they are not well taken care of and the budget for new things is not very much, so a lot of stuff gets put on hold.
The company itself is constantly trying to better itself, but puts people in positions too quickly, then they barely know what to do with the positions they have created.
The curriculum is amazing and the kids are super adorable, but unless you are an instructor, you won't really know what it is you are selling to the customer.
This company is fun, but a little unorganized.
Pros
benefits for full timers, great for students, fun
Cons
no sick time, no time off during summer, over turn is high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Play-Well TEKnologies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2