Playworks Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I love what I do
Coach (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2018
I love the mission of playworks and the impact. It was a joy to work with the districts and there is room for personal growth. Room for growth is lacking and management was poor.
Great Place To Work
Site Coordinator/ Americorps Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 12, 2018
Playworks is the perfect place to work if you want to make a difference in your community. Each team member works diligently to provide safe, inclusive, and meaningful play to elementary school students throughout Southern California.
You get to be active
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2018
A typical day at work consists of 2-4 classes (each class consisting of 20-24 students), followed by 3-5 recesses depending on the school your assigned to (each recess ranging from 3-9 classes with with 20-24 students each). If you don't have a classes before recess, then all your classes will be in the afternoon. You also have several after school responsibilities including sports leagues, leadership classes, and any additional task your school administration assigns you to. Management is supportive, but at the end of the day, it's up to the school administration to make a decision ...so, at the end of the day, you don't see much improvement . I think this is the hardest part of the job, not feeling in control of certain situations . The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students' progress throughout the year! They are definitely the high light. If you can get past certain adults' attitudes (and sometimes backwards beliefs) you'll definitely enjoy it!
Enjoyable and Proud Work
Physical Education Instructor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 29, 2018
Working at playworks was very rewarding and I had a great time spending time with kids of all ages. I feel that this type of work is great for anyone looking to volunteer.
Playworks
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 29, 2018
Playworks is a great organization who believes in the power of play. When first being hired, you start off as an Americorps member which is little pay but you receive free health care and government assistance which is helpful. You also receive a grant at end of the school year to use for your education/ Loans. I was able to pay for school with the grants.
As a staff member of Playworks, we made about $16 to $18 dollars an hour. Once being hired on as a staff, the benefits of being an Americorps member was over.
Pros
Paid to play and build amazing relationships with students and families.
Cons
massive trainings
very fun and energetic work place. positive relationships and team bonding.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston,TXMay 26, 2018
Working with Playworks was a great experience. Playworks allowed me to provide a year of service to the Houston community through healthy play within a school setting. The Playworks team in Houston is very supportive from the start of the service year to the very end. It is definitely a job that I would recommend to anyone who is aiming to serve in the community and still receive compensation.Or for someone who is just graduating college and who is in need of professional development and work experience.
Pros
Great Benefits, and the pay is decent considering the type of job it is.
Cons
A lot of traveling from place to place. Long work days, pay is at a standard rate.
Fun place to work
Program, Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 11, 2018
Nice job for college students. A wonderful opportunity to work with students. The pay could be better and the extra hours are a waste of time and shouldn't be mandatory.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Low pay
My overall feelings about Playworks
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 30, 2018
I love what Playworks stood for. I love most of the ideas they had in place. However, the leadership could have been better. I have been working with kids for many years and they would not allow me to " do what I do" The relationships I made with those kids and parents was amazing but they could not see.
Terrible Management
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Atlanta,GAMarch 20, 2018
Starts at the top and filters to the regions. No vision, overspending so that staff must be cut. Human resources only wants to hear the supervisors side of the story (this is nothing new). Company values are inclusivity, teamwork, collaboration, self-awareness, and conflict resolution, but this does not get practiced with office staff, only taught to the wonderful students we work with. Sad.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
any time away from the office (20 minute wellness break) must be approved by supervisor.
Fun But Time Consuming
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
Super fun job that let's you create your own programing and play with kids all day. As an AmeriCorps member you are expected to fulfill a certain amount of service hours. This means that often you are expected to work on holidays. On days that students have off you will participate in a service project. These events are typically fun because the people you work with are super playful but also get stuff done and done well.
Great Mission!
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 30, 2017
Dedicated to servicing students who need it most in a fun, supportive and interactive way! The managers are supportive and have great ideas to help support your program. Each coordinator has a lot of power to individualize their school community to be as fun and structured as they want it to be. Fun place to work overall.
Good cause, terrible management (office staff only)
site coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 6, 2017
Co workers are cool but you only see them every now and then, other than that I only had a problem with 3 people.(fakes) mostly trained my self with very little help so expectations were not realistic.get everything in writing and cover your self because again if it's your word against your female manager word (loosing battle)your in trouble.Uncomfortable work experience in office with language and jokes used .not professional work place
Pros
The message to the kids/working with teachers for great cause
Cons
Hidden agendas by director and management.
Fun in concept, rising nonprofit with a healthy share of corporate influence
Home office employee (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 25, 2017
This was a great place to work if you are starting out in the nonprofit industry and are willing to scrape at any job or if you are C-level executive who wants to feel like you are doing well in the world. For those in the middle, it didn't feel great. Overall, a good experience, but the constant stresses of hitting the numbers took away some of the joy of impacting the lives of children.
Playful work culture in a mission-driven nonprofit
Playworker (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 3, 2017
Playworks is a great place to work. The culture is non-hierarchical and mission-driven. There is a positive and collaborative work culture and one feels that their contribution is valued.
Great Place for childcare experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNJuly 25, 2017
There are many different options for careers. Fantastic place for children to go. You can go with your family or do drop off childcare. The offer childcare for infant to 12 years old.
Fun place to work!
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 16, 2017
If you love helping people out. This is definitely something that I enjoyed doing. Always offering multiple opportunities to be of service in the community.
ok place. except the unexpected.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2017
If it was not for the manager, I would love Playworks. They expect you to do things that make no sense whatsoever. But, the kids are the most rewarding part.
Pros
Heath Care
Cons
Wierd Manager
Great place to work, up beat and challenging
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 27, 2017
Working for Playworks was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had the pleasure of having. Not only are you part of a team, but you are part of a family. You learn this quickly and become close with one another by participating in many of the team-building exercises/trainings that you are offered throughout your service year. This is not the only AmeriCorps program that I have participated in but it has definitely been a favorite for me. If you love to be active and are passionate about making a difference in your community then I strongly suggest applying.
Pros
Self-growth, community engagement, positive work culture
Fun place to work
Site Coordinator-Somerville Public Schools (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2017
Playworks is a great place to work. If you are in any way interested in working with kids and in a fun work place environment than this is the right place for you.
Pros
fun, rewarding
Cons
job security year to year, salary is low
Fun and involves a high level of energy and great attitude!
Implemented the Junior Coach Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 8, 2016
Have fun! Make sure that you are prepared, organized and build rapport with the school you work with. Establish routines, respect and expectations early which will make the experience easier.
Pros
Dress comfortably, meet lots of people, you work with an entire school so you're able to engage all the children
Cons
Short breaks, change in weather