PMA USA Employee Reviews

Life Changing; But not for the lazy!
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 19, 2018
I have been with PMA USA since July 2016. Prior to this opportunity, I had ZERO prior sales experience. A successful career with PMA USA is not for the lazy. This isn't a place where one can hide beneath a hourly/salary wage. Instead, by earning through Commission based pay, I am able to earn MY WORTH. PMA provides an interest free loan to beginning agents which is also a significant help. I was promoted to District Manager upon my one-year anniversary so advancement opportunities are an open door! Bonus structure is super and the year-end Sales Celebration is always a blast! If you think you have what it takes to have a career with PMA, I recommend starting today!
Pros
Team environment, great pay & bonuses
Cons
Healthcare
Wish I would have started years ago.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 15, 2018
I am U.S MILITARY COMBAT VETERAN who spent over three years in Afghanistan. I am extremely grateful for PMAUSA and Washington National Insurance. They gave me an opportunity of a lifetime.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS COMPANY HAS ANY BAD REVIEWS!!

Those that work hard have unlimited income!! I can only assume that most of the poor reviews were individuals that lack the confidence and or fortitude to succeed. SUCCESS does not happen in the comfort zone!!

If you are motivated this is the best insurance company to work for/with.

Please take this review seriously!!
Pros
Unlimited Income, Complete goals = Advancement opportunity, Competitive
Cons
Must be self motivated
I wish I had found this company 20 years ago
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma and KansasAugust 8, 2018
What I love about PMA (the marketing arm of Washington National) is that we generally work MON-THUR. Four long days and then a three day weekend. In not quite four years, I've been promoted from agent to Dist. Manager to Reg. Manager. Was making six figures by my 2nd year and because of residuals and overrides, my income will grow year after year. I am an independent contractor for them.

At first, the idea of being 100% commission, and no benefits seemed unattractive, but when the person who recruited me (whom I knew from a previous job) kept showing me his weekly checks, I knew I had to try it out. I run everything through my business (car and hotel and food expenses on the road) and write off substantial amounts via my accountant.

The travel can be hard at times, but really, before you know it, Thur is here and that evening, I'm homeward bound. On SUN, I can see what TUE's paycheck will be. I make double what I did in earlier jobs and plan to retire with PMA.

I am vested later this year for life and even beyond life. I can will any residuals that are still flowing in to my wife and kids. Amazing.
Pros
Income, not being tied to an office, the harder I work, the more I make.
Cons
the first year can be hard as you have no safety net, but as the residual income flows in that 2nd year your income grows month after month
Very relaxed work place
Longshoreman (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 30, 2018
Alot of different jobs to do .. work we you want to .. great environment.. non stressful ... great benfits for you and your family members... alot of growing opportunities
Pros
Get benefits
Cons
Hard on body
Productive and overall a good place to work
Operations Manager Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 24, 2018
I enjoyed my time there, it was a great temp job. Normal 8-5 job with very minimal travel. All government holidays observed and M-F work days. Worked on very important assignments that directly supported the US Navy.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Temp
Not in the State of TN
Sales (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 7, 2018
Horrible management in the State of TN. Many tall tales told and many of the so called contracts are third choice for the client. If you want to do worksite benefits, go for Colonial Life.
High Compensation, Flexibility, and Great Culture...Why wouldn't you want to work here?
Pace Setter (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 21, 2018
I have worked for two different companies since college in corporate management and project management. I was unhappy sitting in an office slaving away for 10+ hours a day, at sometimes 6 days a week, on a salary with only a 3% bonus at the year end during performance review. And most of all, not seeing my wife and two children hardly at all.

I was approached by a friend who worked for PMA after a Facebook post I had posted about being unhappy at work. Not having seen him in 4+ years, I met at his house. Needless to say, I was impressed what he was able to accomplish since I last saw him....Now he had my attention!

I saw all that PMA had to offer. All I had to do is work hard and my efforts would be highly compensated. Also, I only had to work four days! I showed my wife and we took the leap of faith...now it was up to me...

Fast forward a year later...now I work 4 days a week and see my family much more, I will be doubling my old salary this year, moving into management and I get to go to tropical paradise once a year for our company trip.

It was the best decision I made for my family and my career.

If you're looking for a company that will treat you like family, supports vets, gives you a great work-life balance and high compensation, you have found it!

Do Good, Do Well. Have Fun.
Pros
High Compensation, Work-Life Balance, Career Advancement Opportunities, Positive Culture
Cons
If you do not like to work hard, you wont succeed.
Challenging, yet rewarding in so many ways!
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Nebraska and KansasAugust 17, 2018
If you enjoy the challenge of a competitive and fast paced work environment, this is the place for you! The best part is, your effort will actually be rewarded here, unreal rewards, weekly bonuses, monthly, bonuses, annual bonus, recognition, free trips, unlimited income potential, the sky is the limit! If you are tired of the boring, 'same old' same old daily routine, BREAK OUT with PMA USA/Washington National where no single day is the same!
Pros
Unlimited income potential, 4 day work week, recognition, incredible training, bonuses, trips!
Cons
Must be self motivated, willing to work hard, willing to travel.
Incredible company to work with!
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  KansasJuly 19, 2018
I've been with PMA for over 10 years and its proven to be the best career move I could have imagined.
The products are best in class.
The Field Managers are incredible, they are focused on making sure the field agents are trained properly to ensure customer satisfaction and agent success.
The culture is amazing, it is competitive but not cut throat. The sales team feels like an extension of my family. The work is challenging but there is help, guidance and strong leadership at every turn. It is an incredible feeling to work for yourself but not by yourself!
Pros
Incredible leadership and training. High commissions, unbeatbale bonus and incentive plan
Not for everyone
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  IowaFebruary 27, 2018
Like most insurance companies, this is a pyramid scheme and make no mistake about it. Recruitment is the only way to be promoted and it is far more important to management than sales. The policies that they provide are currently pretty solid compared to other supplemental health insurance, but the practice of selling is entirely dependent on you bringing it to people. No one is looking for this stuff. You are required to be away from home and in a hotel from Monday through Thursday. This is paid out of the team's pocket, no support from PMA or Washington National. They will give you $500 a week for your first four weeks but you have to repay all of that plus interest. Don't count on spending money you make from sales of policies because of the client cancels before a year, you owe PMA the money back. Individual managers are probably fine, but when expected to collaborate, I've never seen adults get so catty so fast. PMA headquarters is a joke and will cost you relationships with current clients because they don't pay out for the accident policies and have crazy specific requirements for the other policies.
Pros
Theoretically uncapped commisions
Cons
Lots of expenses out of pocket, money not really yours for first year, no benefits, 1099 employee, mandated travel
Unlimited opportunity to succeed here!
Agent Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2018
This is an outstanding opportunity for anyone with an entrepreneurial nature who wants to control their own schedule and income. The earning potential is basically unlimited. If you are a hard-working, go getter then this is the place to be. I've been in insurance for a long time and have never linked with an agency that provided better training, support, awards, bonuses and commissions. The field management is there when you need them but treat you like you are running and building your own business - which I am. The culture is very team-oriented as well with great meetings, events, etc. Those that are negative about this opportunity are people that refuse to take accountability for their own failure. If you work this system you can't fail!
Strong minded, motivated people where you dictate how much you are going to make
Sales Agent/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 15, 2018
Learn all the material that they provide to you, to have a successful career. Do not be a conformist, always stride to do better on a daily basis and your hard work will ultimately pay off.

From my experience working at PMA, I’ve been here for a month and a half, and I’ve already won multiple bonuses, a brand new expensive laptop, and a trip! If you have a mind set to do well In the company and work hard for it, you’ll get it.
Pros
A lot of really great incentives and bonuses.
Cons
Stay away from home for a half week, and it could be hard to start, but once you get going it is completely worth it.
Horrible, horrible comedy too work for..
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 24, 2018
Abysmal. If commissioned based pay is what you're looking for, find it literally anywhere else. I've worked with several companies that do the Life/Supplemental insurance and PMA USA is by far the worst.

They set you up at a "worksite" which has been hit every single year for the past decade and expect you to interrupt every employee there to get a sale. The policies are junk, the implementation is antiquated, and the management was useless.

Too often I found myself making a 3 hour drive at 5 in the morning to set up for a zero day and driving three hours back. Also, you're always going in pairs so you find yourself competing with your own team to sit with a client.

They offer a series of "new agent" loans to help get started. Beware. They don't tell you these have interest and bite you when you can't make any money.

There are plenty of solid companies to work for in this industry. This is not one of them.
Pros
Cons
Scam
Challenging, fast paced, and interesting work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 6, 2018
Working at NAVAIR managing Germany's FMS case has been an incredibly rewarding experience. A typical work day can consist of building briefing materials, taking minutes, drafting statements of work, tracking down various engineering disciplines in response to RFI's, writing letters for various approvals, participating and setting up telecons and meetings, processing foreign visit requests, drafting agendas, tracking actions items, etc. The hardest part is 'herding cats' as there are so many disciplines involved. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the German customers are happy and you know you have helped make a difference for them.
Pros
Challenging and Fast Paced
Cons
Short Staffed
Excellent Team Work & Comfortable Work Environment
Human Resources Internship (Former Employee) –  Piketon, OHSeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time working there but it was only a 3 month interenship so could only work until the end of the summer. I would one hundred percent recommend their job to anybody who can get on at the A-plant. If it wasn’t an internship, I would still be out there.
Pros
Paid on lunch, Good pay, Team work & safety oriented, Great co workers & managers overall
Cons
Distance I had to travel each day
Absolutely terrible. biggest liars ever.
Agent (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 13, 2018
PMA USA. Where do I start? They lie to get you onboard. They lie about having accounts in your area to work. The state managers are inexperienced liars. Their carrier is terrible and will turn you over to collections for a dollar. Their sales system is a watered down and stolen version of another carrier. I would not recommend them to any agents.
Pros
Absolutely none, run away fast.
Cons
Terrible management, terrible carrier, liars and thieves.
Amazing Opportunity for Teachable, Hard Workers!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Nebraska & KansasAugust 22, 2018
The training is second to none. The managers are very helpful and are invested in your success. Before PMA USA I had never been with a company that truly cared about my success and was passionate about making me better! If you are willing to put in the time and energy to make yourself better and learn the Playbook, then there's no better place to work!
You get paid what you're worth!
Pros
Time Freedom, Bonuses, Trips, Incentives, Be Your Own Boss
Cons
Must Be Self-Motivated
Life Changing Opportunity
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2018
PMA USA has developed the best supplemental products in the country. They offer unlimited income, advancement, 4 day work week, quality leaders in the business that offer training and create a motivating work environment.

life changing!!!!
great workplace
agent (Current Employee) –  oklahomaMay 9, 2018
Love the 4 day work week and great bonus structure. You truly get what you put into PMA. I look forward to growing within the company as I continue my career.
Pros
money and 4 day work week
Cons
Great company and sales teams!!
Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 16, 2018
It has been a blessing to my family to have been given such an amazing opportunity to work for such a great company like PMA USA. They truly believe in there training and want to see people succeed in this business. I never imagined that I would ever make this kind of money in my life and by only working 4 days a week. If you want a great career and not just a job I assure you to take a chance like I did, you won't regret it!!
Pros
Excellent PAY!!
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PMA USA. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about