PMA USA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Challenging, yet rewarding in so many ways!
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Nebraska and KansasAugust 17, 2018
If you enjoy the challenge of a competitive and fast paced work environment, this is the place for you! The best part is, your effort will actually be rewarded here, unreal rewards, weekly bonuses, monthly, bonuses, annual bonus, recognition, free trips, unlimited income potential, the sky is the limit! If you are tired of the boring, 'same old' same old daily routine, BREAK OUT with PMA USA/Washington National where no single day is the same!
Pros
Unlimited income potential, 4 day work week, recognition, incredible training, bonuses, trips!
Cons
Must be self motivated, willing to work hard, willing to travel.
Life Changing Opportunity
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2018
PMA USA has developed the best supplemental products in the country. They offer unlimited income, advancement, 4 day work week, quality leaders in the business that offer training and create a motivating work environment.

life changing!!!!
I wish I had found this company 20 years ago
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma and KansasAugust 8, 2018
What I love about PMA (the marketing arm of Washington National) is that we generally work MON-THUR. Four long days and then a three day weekend. In not quite four years, I've been promoted from agent to Dist. Manager to Reg. Manager. Was making six figures by my 2nd year and because of residuals and overrides, my income will grow year after year. I am an independent contractor for them.

At first, the idea of being 100% commission, and no benefits seemed unattractive, but when the person who recruited me (whom I knew from a previous job) kept showing me his weekly checks, I knew I had to try it out. I run everything through my business (car and hotel and food expenses on the road) and write off substantial amounts via my accountant.

The travel can be hard at times, but really, before you know it, Thur is here and that evening, I'm homeward bound. On SUN, I can see what TUE's paycheck will be. I make double what I did in earlier jobs and plan to retire with PMA.

I am vested later this year for life and even beyond life. I can will any residuals that are still flowing in to my wife and kids. Amazing.
Pros
Income, not being tied to an office, the harder I work, the more I make.
Cons
the first year can be hard as you have no safety net, but as the residual income flows in that 2nd year your income grows month after month
Incredible company to work with!
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  KansasJuly 19, 2018
I've been with PMA for over 10 years and its proven to be the best career move I could have imagined.
The products are best in class.
The Field Managers are incredible, they are focused on making sure the field agents are trained properly to ensure customer satisfaction and agent success.
The culture is amazing, it is competitive but not cut throat. The sales team feels like an extension of my family. The work is challenging but there is help, guidance and strong leadership at every turn. It is an incredible feeling to work for yourself but not by yourself!
Pros
Incredible leadership and training. High commissions, unbeatbale bonus and incentive plan
Working with Professionals
Senior Nuclear Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Piketon, OHJuly 19, 2018
Its easy to work with people that are all and conduct themselves as professionals within this company and give you all the tools needed to be successful within your working environment.
Absolutely terrible. biggest liars ever.
Agent (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 13, 2018
PMA USA. Where do I start? They lie to get you onboard. They lie about having accounts in your area to work. The state managers are inexperienced liars. Their carrier is terrible and will turn you over to collections for a dollar. Their sales system is a watered down and stolen version of another carrier. I would not recommend them to any agents.
Pros
Absolutely none, run away fast.
Cons
Terrible management, terrible carrier, liars and thieves.
Unlimited opportunity to succeed here!
Agent Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2018
This is an outstanding opportunity for anyone with an entrepreneurial nature who wants to control their own schedule and income. The earning potential is basically unlimited. If you are a hard-working, go getter then this is the place to be. I've been in insurance for a long time and have never linked with an agency that provided better training, support, awards, bonuses and commissions. The field management is there when you need them but treat you like you are running and building your own business - which I am. The culture is very team-oriented as well with great meetings, events, etc. Those that are negative about this opportunity are people that refuse to take accountability for their own failure. If you work this system you can't fail!
Not in the State of TN
Sales (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 7, 2018
Horrible management in the State of TN. Many tall tales told and many of the so called contracts are third choice for the client. If you want to do worksite benefits, go for Colonial Life.
Very cut throat business
Agent (Former Employee) –  OK/KSJuly 1, 2018
I worked for PMA for a total of 3 months before being forced to leave due to a lack of income. The job can be promising if you have money to start with but do not expect to make what they tell you during your interview ($1,200 a week) or even half of that starting out. The management I experienced was pitiful. Management did little to help you succeed outside of your first two weeks of training. You are expected to work 10-12 hour days, pay for all of your meals and stay in cheap motels every week. They claim you are self employed but place several stipulations on you such as when you have to work, when you can stop working for the day and what time you can leave to head home every Thursday evening. Managers typically give themselves the best possible clients in the assigned territory and push you to make sales to fill their pockets as it is a pyramid scheme. You start out with a stipend ($500) but only receive it if you make the minimum in sales premiums for the week ($2,500) which is extremely difficult to accomplish starting out. If you receive the stipends you’re expected to pay them back by percentage out of your check. Also, if you sell a policy to a client/family and they cancel the policy within 8 months you are expected to pay the money you received back to the company making it easy to accrue debt. This job is very difficult but not impossible. However, be prepared to go several weeks with little to no pay for the first few months. If you are married and your significant other can support your family without your income this could be promising but to the average joe  more... it’s a joke.  less
Pros
4 Day Work Week
Cons
Bad management, Difficult to start, Easy to rack up debt
Strong minded, motivated people where you dictate how much you are going to make
Sales Agent/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 15, 2018
Learn all the material that they provide to you, to have a successful career. Do not be a conformist, always stride to do better on a daily basis and your hard work will ultimately pay off.

From my experience working at PMA, I’ve been here for a month and a half, and I’ve already won multiple bonuses, a brand new expensive laptop, and a trip! If you have a mind set to do well In the company and work hard for it, you’ll get it.
Pros
A lot of really great incentives and bonuses.
Cons
Stay away from home for a half week, and it could be hard to start, but once you get going it is completely worth it.
I enjoy working for PMA
District Manager (Current Employee) –  OklahomaMay 9, 2018
I really enjoy the 4 day work week along with the great pay and bonus structure. The products are some of the best in the industry. I have really enjoyed getting into management for the last year and a half.
Pros
money and work schedule
great workplace
agent (Current Employee) –  oklahomaMay 9, 2018
Love the 4 day work week and great bonus structure. You truly get what you put into PMA. I look forward to growing within the company as I continue my career.
Pros
money and 4 day work week
Cons
Our philosophy, "do good, do well and have fun"
District manager in Nebraska (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 4, 2018
I have been with PMA for almost 7 years. I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity, I found a career not a job. The support and the leadership in our organization is outstanding. I never thought i would be an insurance agent, but having the best products and best training in the industry makes my job so much easier. I'm not going to lie, it is hard work, and its not for everyone, but if you have the desire to be financial independent and you are willing to challenge yourself, this will be a perfect fit. This job is very rewarding and i get to help so many families against the financial burden from catastrophic illness like cancer.
Everyone has the same opportunity and if you put in the effort you will reap the rewards. The income potential has no limit. We are one of the leading companies in the nation and we are rated excellent by AM Best.
We celebrate our success with trips and reward incentives. At PMA you are not just an agent or employee, you are part of a family. They give you all the tools to be successful and grow your business to what you want, all you have to do is be hungry for success and own it. The sky is the limit.
It is a career that is very fulfilling and i couldn't see myself working for any other company. I really appreciate the people and the leaders in the organization, always there for support and always improving the tools to help us be more successful.
Awesome Company to work for!!
Agent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2018
This has been an amazing opportunity for me and my family. The work schedule works out great and having weekends off is a plus. I never would of thought that I would be able to make the type of income that this company has provided me with. Ultimately there is no limit to the possibilities if your willing to work for it.
Pros
Great pay!!
Cons
High Compensation, Flexibility, and Great Culture...Why wouldn't you want to work here?
Pace Setter (Current Employee) –  OhioApril 21, 2018
I have worked for two different companies since college in corporate management and project management. I was unhappy sitting in an office slaving away for 10+ hours a day, at sometimes 6 days a week, on a salary with only a 3% bonus at the year end during performance review. And most of all, not seeing my wife and two children hardly at all.

I was approached by a friend who worked for PMA after a Facebook post I had posted about being unhappy at work. Not having seen him in 4+ years, I met at his house. Needless to say, I was impressed what he was able to accomplish since I last saw him....Now he had my attention!

I saw all that PMA had to offer. All I had to do is work hard and my efforts would be highly compensated. Also, I only had to work four days! I showed my wife and we took the leap of faith...now it was up to me...

Fast forward a year later...now I work 4 days a week and see my family much more, I will be doubling my old salary this year, moving into management and I get to go to tropical paradise once a year for our company trip.

It was the best decision I made for my family and my career.

If you're looking for a company that will treat you like family, supports vets, gives you a great work-life balance and high compensation, you have found it!

Do Good, Do Well. Have Fun.
Pros
High Compensation, Work-Life Balance, Career Advancement Opportunities, Positive Culture
Cons
If you do not like to work hard, you wont succeed.
Life changing job
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 19, 2018
I have been with PMA for 3 years. This is the best job I have ever had. If you are willing to work hard you can make a great living. The pay has been life changing. I love the 4 day work week.
Great company and sales teams!!
Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 16, 2018
It has been a blessing to my family to have been given such an amazing opportunity to work for such a great company like PMA USA. They truly believe in there training and want to see people succeed in this business. I never imagined that I would ever make this kind of money in my life and by only working 4 days a week. If you want a great career and not just a job I assure you to take a chance like I did, you won't regret it!!
Pros
Excellent PAY!!
Decent coworkers
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Alma, MIApril 12, 2018
It is a typical small shop, learned about running a CNC machine. The people I worked with were pretty nice people. The management could use some improvement.
Cut your throat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TNApril 2, 2018
It's all about them, they lie to make a sale, and they lie to get you on board. They force you to travel, spend money that you don't have, stay at a cheap motel/hotel. Managers will tell you to dress professional but the rule doesn't apply to them and it's embarrassing to be associated with them from the way they looked and present themselves.
Pros
Cons
Mismanaged badly
Not for everyone
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  IowaFebruary 27, 2018
Like most insurance companies, this is a pyramid scheme and make no mistake about it. Recruitment is the only way to be promoted and it is far more important to management than sales. The policies that they provide are currently pretty solid compared to other supplemental health insurance, but the practice of selling is entirely dependent on you bringing it to people. No one is looking for this stuff. You are required to be away from home and in a hotel from Monday through Thursday. This is paid out of the team's pocket, no support from PMA or Washington National. They will give you $500 a week for your first four weeks but you have to repay all of that plus interest. Don't count on spending money you make from sales of policies because of the client cancels before a year, you owe PMA the money back. Individual managers are probably fine, but when expected to collaborate, I've never seen adults get so catty so fast. PMA headquarters is a joke and will cost you relationships with current clients because they don't pay out for the accident policies and have crazy specific requirements for the other policies.
Pros
Theoretically uncapped commisions
Cons
Lots of expenses out of pocket, money not really yours for first year, no benefits, 1099 employee, mandated travel