PNC Financial Services Group

Found 110 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,885 reviews

PNC Financial Services Group insights

Based on 1,849 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Good Starter Company

This company is good for people just starting out in the financial world and needing to gain experience. PTO is great 1st year, you have full access to those benefits, on a prorated basis, at hire. Management micro managers and is tough. Sales are pushed heavily despite extremely reduced traffic in the branches due to promoting "self-banking" technologies so heavily. You are expected to cold call a minimum of 10 dials a day. Some of the conversations with customers are very difficult as they are very irritated by all the changes at PNC. Financial centers have caused a lot of customer dissatisfaction and reduced traffic even more, putting a lot of pressure on employees to meet sales goals

Pros

Pto, Benefits, Work/Life Balance

Cons

Cold calling, low pay, no bonuses, hard to move within company

Terrible management.

Maybe it was my location, but working at PNC was bad. Manager never wanted to help or teach me new skills. They basically throw you into the water and expect you to know everything day 1.

Pros

Learning about financial services

Cons

Terrible management, bad culture, no work-life balance

Very busy place, no work life balance

It is insanely busy ok if you like being stressed out not very great managers, very stressful! No work life balance. Also clients can be very rude because of staffing issues

Pros

Pay is decent, bonus

Cons

Managers, hours, culture

Good pay and incentive pay. Micromanaging is out of hand.

The micromanaging is over the top. It's like you're a child. They like to sit in with you and your customer to watch everything you do even if you are a top performer. This causes a lot of anxiety and stress and is shown to inhibit performance. You've trained me and I've passed all the classes/training/observations. I'll ask for help if I need it. Now leave me alone and I will soar!!

Pros

PTO. Helping clients.

Cons

Very stressful. Lots of pressure to make sales.

Exciting job

Pro: financial education development and learning about the ins and out of financial institutionsCon: not much growth in terms of in branch services but I’m sure there are more opportunities at bank level

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Empty Promises

At first it was a great company where I was able to build my resume skills and learn a lot about finances. Since the pandemic started ,there has been even more push for sales. Branches are severely short staffed and the company is choosing to not appreciate the staff that actually shows up.

Pros

tuition reimbursement

Cons

poor upper management, very sales heavy

Good benefits and opportunities

The benefits are good, plenty of opportunities across the US now due to acquisition. In comparison to other banks the salary could be more competitive.

Traveling RRT

They make you work 6 days a week, sometimes you're there from 8:45-6:15, absolutely insane. I was hired for the rrt position which required me to be teller and banker when needed. The virtual training was okay but then being in the branches you'd had to ask for help and sometimes other team members couldn't be bother, so would have to figure it on my own. A lot of the managers you'd meet can be very micromanage in sales. They expect you to throw a sales pitch at any client walking in. They push credit cards & loans application to clients but don't fully educate them. They also have a terrible metric system , if you are rated anything below 8, you'd have to take a class in customer service. Even if something was not your fault but is just how the client feels about youAs an rrt most of the time your manager will be the regional manager and they hardly care about you but leave it to a branch manager to give you feedback.Benefits are okay, some branches better than others, they need to stop the 6 day work week, overall a good bank if you want to get into banking.

Pros

coworkers, slow days

Cons

low salary, lack of training, excessive travelling, short staff, metric system, bad management

Stressful Job

Unrealistic monthly goals, management has no idea what happens on a day to day basis at branches and expect bankers to reach very unrealistic goals. Micromanaging

Pros

Bank hours

Cons

Angry customers, micro manager

Imagine all of the bad/toxic managers you’ve ever had to work with all working in leadership positions at the same company

You are actively encouraged to saddle individuals with banking products they don’t need and if you are not cut-throat enough to sell a drowning man even more debt your other talents will not be appreciated. Aside from that, HR is a complete mess and will not help you with actually bad things (I.e. harassment) and turnover is high because all the wrong people are promoted (but hey, at least they can open 12 different checking accounts for the same person, not everyone can pull blood from a stone). I did learn a lot in a short amount of time but that’s really only because I’m self-motivated and a quick-learner; in my first year, my manager ran through literally 4 different new hires because: 1) they personally were very difficult to work for 2) had very high expectations and 3) wanted to put absolutely NO effort into helping to train the new people. I know there are a few good managers that work for this bank, but honestly do yourself a favor and go into this job either knowing you’re in it only for the resume experience or that you’re okay with being an over glorified ATM that’s expected to try to sell a credit card to every person you talk to in a given day.

Pros

A consistent schedule, good co-workers, paid time-off

Cons

Bad management, work/life balance, HR is a joke

Not The Best Place To Work

Unattainable goals and not a great culture. Lunch breaks can be really short and expect to work on weekends. Unreasonable sales goals & unreasonable metrics.

Pros

Stable Company

Cons

It's a bank

Overall good workplace but mangement and scheduling improvements needed...

With PNC work life balance, it's important to understand each branch is different according to the manager. Some managers understand that work is work and there is some form of life outside of PNC so they'll stick to the 8 - 5 schedule; however, others do not. There is a lot of scheduling outside of typical 8-5 hours, for example rotating every other Friday until 6:15pm and then Saturdays quarterly. I can count on more hands than two the times I've had to stay late, come in early, or be sent to another branch over 25+ minutes away to help out at a moment's notice just in two months time. These requests disrupt the work-life balance because you basically cannot expect to get to any other commitment (daycare, appointment, etc) on time once you leave the office because you won't leave the office on time. Honestly, if we could get out the door according to schedule, the work-life balance would be great. When it comes to compensation/benefits, there's a lot of murkiness. You're asked to train two to four people and pick up slack in a short staffed branch because you've done such an outstanding job in your current role, but come annual review time your raise will not even be enough to make a noticeable difference. They will keep piling the additional responsibilities on to you but not compensate you for it. I believe my pay check's taxes for one pay period was more than my most recent raise for the whole entire year. This seems a little confusing as usually commended performance is compensated fairly and a "Meets or Exceeds Expectations" rating should be a valid defense for atleast -

Pros

Helping clients reach financial soundness, working with purpose, diverse team, ability to measure success easily, meeting a variety of customers, new challenges each day.

Cons

Not enough praise, schedule always changing at last minute, low raises, management turnover, poor health care coverage.

Innovative bank, customer focused.

Customer focused bank, technology is up to date and always improving.If you work diligently and stay focused on the customer you can advance in your career path.

Pros

Professional environment

Not the Bank for career moves

Every morning, I'd wake up and dread coming to work when I was an RRT. You never know which branch you'd go to for the day. Sales goals were attainable, but it is a "what have you done for me lately" environment so things did not matter from yesterday. Not much in terms of PTO, lower side of 401(k) employer match, and even worse pay. Bonus structure was alright, but if you don't hit a specific threshold, then you could forget about any bonus. Immediate Branch Management was ok, they picked favorites, but would not really play favoritism. Upper Management is trash and would not care if you got hit by a car, just as long as you hit your goals to so they could pack their bank accounts. Covid made things worse branch employees, no raises, and if we had symptoms we were forced to use our own time to stay home, which is not really fair.

Pros

Decent Place to Make Friends, Clients

Cons

Upper Management

Opportunities for advancement are great, Pay... not so much.

PNC is an okay company to work for. If you are looking to learn the basics of banking, it is a good place to start. However, the upper management shows little regard for employees well-being. 401k match is 4 percent which is nice. 3 weeks vacation time and 5 sick day per year plus federal holidays off. That being said, the hourly wage at PNC is lower than most every other bank. Minimum wage here is $15.00 an hour VS the competitors starting at $18.00. The commission structure for the bankers is difficult to understand and does not pay out well even when exceeding goals. They took away commission opportunities for tellers which has negatively impacted the moral. Also, PNC likes to change their technology frequently which is stressful for the employees.

Pros

Good PTO package. Decent 401k match. Pension.

Cons

Healthcare is expensive, Mandating proof of COVID vaccination, Lower pay than competitors, high work load for branch employees. Available employee recourses are unreliable.

Even pay, lack of career growth.

Even pay, lack of career growth. Employed since 2018. Handled pandemic fairly while still keeping employees at work. Not much room to grow a career at this time.

Pros

Even pay

Cons

Lack of growth

Okay Place to Work

PNC is very sales oriented. Management differs from location but its the higher management that brings down the stress onto the employees. The system is very old as well (not user friendly and do not be surprised when it crashes). Be ready to make outbound calls to the same people over and over again to sell them credit cards, checking accounts, etc. and most do not reply. PNC has pretty good benefits but not the best out there. There are some good workers there but there are others that are bad like in other places. Pay for the work is low in my opinion.

run

training is far and near tbh. management is all new and not capable of training new hires. HR request are even slower. The center are all lacking business so it is impossible to learn and grown

Pros

Cons

poor management, poor upper management, under staffed

Extremely depressing, impossible quotas to meet

This position is VERY sales oriented. At no point in the recruitment process was I informed that this position would be so sales focused. 65% of customers are awful, the rest are fine or they are old and mentally unstable and you never know how they will treat you. Systems are E X T R E M E L Y outdated and very hard to get a hang of. Upper management are all ingenuine corporate robots on a race to the top. Products are mediocre and it is not in the customer's best interest to use any of them, yet you have to keep peddling them. Be prepared to make outbound calls to current customers, most of which will not answer nor will they be interested in speaking to you if they do answer. There is no culture here. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the horrible customers, and having to move extremely quickly for them on your awful system in order to keep them happy. (They will be angry regardless). The only enjoyable part of this job is speaking with normal customers and meeting new people, but after the abundance of negative experiences I've had I've learned to walk on eggshells with the customers.

Pros

Long breaks, vacation time

Cons

Horrible customers, management not supportive

Just No.

Management picks favorites and runs with that. Forget about advancement. Toxic work environment. This place was the reason I quit banking altogether and would never go back.

Experience

Working at PNC is a great experience but management is poor. My Colleagues are very helpful.Training no s excellent, pressure to achieve your goals are consistent.

Pros

Learning

Cons

Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PNC Financial Services Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare PNC Financial Services Group with

Career recommendations for Banker

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • PNC Financial Services Group
  • Banker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?