Play YouTube video button

Poet's Walk Memory Care Employee Reviews

Featured review
Poet's Walk Memory Care selected this as a representative review
Nice place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the work is to interact with the Residents and coworkers. They have activities all day long and take advantage of new technology. Families are very happy with the device.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Care Partner/CNA (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 3, 2019
Gret place to work. Staff is so ❤ I love the caring atmosphere.Jenny the dog is so warm and caring.Activities staff are great. Ms.Wendy is awsome manager.
The worst!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXOctober 2, 2019
Do not work here! If you want to be treated unfairly by the care staff and management then go for it! But otherwise STAY AWAY. The HR manager is beyond rude and a bully. The care staff gossips and never helps you even while you’re in training. You basically learn on your own and fend for yourself.
Good Pay. GOSSIP bad work environment always short-staffed overworked
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 24, 2019
The only good thing about this job was to pay the pay. Food is horrible they have good benefits always short staffed ALWAYS no wonder they have a high turn over rate management is poor the coworkers are poor they try to boss around and tell you how to do your job the families are never Satisfied they never on time I'm always leaving work late the food there sucks they should have better food for what they pay to live there it's horrible

Dear Caregiver,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback so we can create a better working environment for all of our associates.

Typical day at work
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 11, 2019
You will gey joy out of ur residents but little to no acknowledgement from some of the management team . very hard work very short staffed and management dose not step on the floor to help you even if residents are aggressive and hard to work with

Dear Dietary Aide,
Thank you for your response. We appreciate all reviews and feedback.

Good experience working here
Life Enrichment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VASeptember 2, 2019
I can only speak on my own experience and not going to mention anything (good or bad) regarding someone else's experience. I have nothing but praise for the experience that I had. My supervisor was awesome! She was fun to work with, and she was also supportive (other co-workers as well) during the toughest year or so of my life as I was dealing with personal loss. She also was a really hard worker. She wouldn't ask us to do anything that she wouldn't herself do. Anyone can be a manager. It takes a leader to be a good one.
I likely would have stayed if it wasn't for the fact that I was moving and needed extra money for rent. The pay isn't on the higher end of the pay scale for Life Enrichment Assistants, but the job was very rewarding.

If you do not have experience with Dementia and do not know much about that disease, you will certainly learn with experience. It can stressful. I will say that in order for you to work here, you need to really have a heart for this population and are a loving, caring, patient person.
Pros
Rewarding, enjoyed the residents
Cons
Low pay.

Dear Life Enrichment Coordinator,
Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. We are sure it will help others understand the work and enjoyment involved in a memory care environment.

Challenging, but rewarding
Wellness Nurse LVN (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 29, 2019
I've been working at Poet's Walk since June 2019 and as a new nurse I can say this has been a great experience so far. As a Wellness Nurse (LVN) you are assigned med pass for a fraction of the residents and have a CMA to help with the rest. You will definitely stay busy with lots of other nurse duties like mealtimes, treatments, assessments, coordinating care with home health and hospice care, and keeping up with medication refills. There are a few seasoned staff members that are extremely helpful with helping you orient to the residents and I have been so thankful for them! All staff love the residents and care for them like their own family which, in the past, I have not seen this level of caring and compassion as I do here. While some days can become overwhelming with workload for nurses, the ED and DON are both nurses and willing to provide their input and support with challenges. Plus a wonderful on site social worker who can also be extremely helpful! The staffing ratios are mostly fair and I have never felt like my license was at risk. The hardest part about the job has been the communication (including with families) which we are all working on to improve. You will definitely work for your pay here, but I feel like I'm paid fairly. Plus I feel like I do get that "second paycheck" from the joy of working with our residents. I would recommend this job to any of my family and friends!
Pros
Wonderful staff, homemade fresh meals for $3 (great chefs!), compensation, fun residents, nice facility
Cons
No 401k option (yet), training/orientation could be longer

Dear Wellness Nurse,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We appreciate your feedback to encourage others to work along side such dedicated team members. Thank you for Caring with a Commitment to Quality!

Couldn't be happier
Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 28, 2019
I have worked at several facilities in my 17 years of healthcare and haven't felt as at home as I do here. The resident's truly are happy and engaged all day by all care staff. Management is involved in helping with care as well. They aren't scared to get in there right along with everyone else. They listen when there are issues and work to resolve them quickly. Moving to Poet's Walk was the best decisions I made in my nursing career. My last job, I had enormous health issues that have slowly getting better due to the stress level being lower here. They respect your work/life balance. Again, best decision I've made yet.
Pros
The best food on the planet. Resteraunt quality.

Dear DON,
Thank you so much for leaving us such positive feedback. Your support will encourage others to join such a great team. Thank you for your dedication to Caring with a Commitment to Quality!

**The real review is in**
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 26, 2019
I have been an employee of Poet's Walk in Round Rock since May and just like with any job I have had, there is a vast amount of culture and education to be learned. To say our care staff isn't going to have some disagreements within themselves or with requests through the directors, is to say that we are not human. I can only speak for myself when I say that any concerns that I have had thus far have been addressed quickly and professionally. I know what all of my benefit options are and how to go about requesting time off (which has never be denied). I feel that management works diligently to give all the care staff exactly what shifts they prefer and bends over backwards often to see that our staff is happy. We have a monthly mandatory meeting that is made fun and energetic with different ways to go about reinstating rules and guidelines for the community and delicious home made snacks are prepared by our wonderful Dining Director! We also have fun things like 'Caught You Caring' and 'Employee of the Month' that include fantastic prizes! It is my first time working for a Memory Care Community and so far my expectations have been surpassed. Since working here, I have enjoyed watching the residents use their creative skills with arts and crafts that are thought up by our very own Resident Engagement Director...I've seen ballroom dancing, numerous Pianist perform and heard amazing voices from multiple live music groups that come to play for the residents. Getting to know the residents and their family members took me all of 2 months (if that) to feel like they were part  more... of [my] family!! As employees and criticisms may come and go, one thing will definitely remain true here at Poet's Walk Round Rock...we are passionate, we are caring, we have each others backs and above all, we are all here for the residents health and wellbeing.

We are and will always remain a striving team!
Pros
Very happy residents, $3 homemade lunches made with the freshest ingredients, flexible scheduling, live music/dancing for residents and employees alike, beautiful property, sparkling clean facility ...i could go on...
Cons
I'll be sure and put it here when one arises...

Dear Concierge,
Thank you so much for telling your story and sharing such positive feedback. We truly appreciate the time you took to encourage more associates to work with you and your team. Thank you for your dedication to Caring with a Commitment to Quality!

Work/ Life Balance
Dietary (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 26, 2019
This facility promotes a healthy work life balance. The belief of taking care of your staff so they may better take care of the residents is definitely followed through here. With a supportive administrative team and caring nursing staff, this place deserves high marks for resident care. I would highly recommend this place for someone to come and excel with there skill set if they care about helping others.

Dear Dietary,
Thank you for leaving us 5 Stars. We appreciate the time you took to give us such positive feedback. Thank you for your dedication to Caring with a Commitment to Quality!

worst place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 25, 2019
I have been working for less than 4 months. I like working with the residents but the the working environment is very stressful. They are always short of staff most of the time and the management doesnt care. They can even have one staff working on the floor for 23 residents and management wont care to help at all. It is unfair for the residents and families who have their love ones living in this facility not to have the care that they need because they are always short staff. One thing management have their own favorites and they GOSSIP a lot.

Dear CNA,
We are looking into your concern and appreciate your feedback.

Labor of Love
Director of Resident Engagement (Current Employee) –  Poets Walk LeesburgJuly 23, 2019
Poets Walk has very high expectations for their managers and their staff. Meeting the residents needs can be challenging at times, but team work is key, and our family members appreciate the experience that we offer caring for their loved ones. No day is the same working in this environment. But again the team work that I see between our staff makes it a wonderful place to work.

Dear Director of Resident Engagement,
Thank you for your positive support and dedication!

Poor management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 12, 2019
Please do not work at this facility! They do not train properly and it’s too many it’s too women working gossiping and drama! Management gossips as well and changes your schedule without giving you direction on when you are supposed to work! Employees will have you doing most of the work and then complain about you not doing anything! They give everyone different pay!
Cons
Management, employees

Dear Caregiver,
Thank you for your feedback. Training is very important to us as well as a positive company culture. We will work with the local teams to correct this concern.

Bad
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 28, 2019
It Sucks don’t apply there it’ll be a waste of your time if you do so. Poor management they don’t care about the employees nor do they care about the residents there. All their about is the money and what you can do for them

Dear Care Partner,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback to create a better working environment and safe place for our residents.

Ticking time bomb !
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 22, 2019
Horrific management in every aspect. I would NEVER wish my worst enemy to this environment. State has been called out to investigate claims of abuse & neglect numerous times ! Director has been accused of fraud. Owner has no control over his facility! Patients medications are shared & “borrowed “ per nurse on duty - patients often restrained or left without supervision of a staff member, 2-5 falls among residents daily and not appropriately reported.

Dear CNA,
Thank you for feedback. We will investigate this claim further to ensure our resident safety.

Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  HendersonJune 14, 2019
This particular Henderson Las vegas location have bad management. Staff is clicky. If they dont like you the manager dont like you. Poor pay , high employee turn over rate, just not a pleasant place to work!!

Dear Caregiver,
Thank you for leaving us a review. Your feedback is important to us and will be discussed as a team to increase employee engagement and retention.

This Job Is So Rewarding
VP of Branding & Media (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 5, 2019
Poet's Walk is unique because it is an assisted living dedicated to people with memory loss. The rewarding part is when you listen to how thankful the families are to see their loved one come alive again in our care.
Pros
You feel like you have given back.
Cons
It's not an easy job, but you feel good about yourself at the end of the day.

Dear VP,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a positive review. We appreciate your loyalty, hard work and dedication.

Stressful Environment, No Recognition from management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 16, 2019
Poorly managed facility. Management doesn't recognize employees for hard work or effort put forth. Lower compensation than other facilities in the area
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Chaotic environment, no team work, Management refuses to help when problems arise.
May 29, 2019

Dear Caregiver,
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all reviews so we can make improvements.

Cook (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 23, 2019
Its a nice place to work at can be stressful at times. Free uniforms pay is decent, work with fun elderly people. Co worker are really nice to be around.

Dear Cook,
Thank you for your positive feedback. We truly appreciate your support!

Unorganized and inconsiderate of staff
Care Partner (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 22, 2019
The management at the time was terrible, staff needs were not being met, we had no gloves or trash bags for awhile and we had to deal with very aggressive patients. The schedule always was favorable to specific people and one shift was always given far more showers than the other, laundry always got lost and somehow my shift - which was responsible only for pulling the laundry out of the rooms- got blamed for it. We worked for months with very few kitchen staff and always short on the floor but none of the managers ever volunteered to fill those positions and because of this the quality of patient care was always so bad. So many family members were angry at this but management never changed.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor organization

Dear CNA,
We are working hard to make improvements, but do appreciate your feedback.

cleaning
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 6, 2019
start with lobby then to inside of building, then to rooms. diverse culture, hardest part was no communication most enjoyable is with the residents and activities
Pros
residents, co-workers
Cons
management, pay is not enough to afford insurance or cost of living

Dear Housekeeping,
Thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Poet's Walk Memory Care. Our community is ready to answer.