Poet Biorefining Employee Reviews

Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Crystal, MNMarch 16, 2018
The team at POET in Lake Crystal was very friendly and welcoming. It is hard work but the day goes by fast because your always busy. A typical day at work starts at 7:00am. We start with a morning meeting with the team, then off to work. I usually loaded ethanol into train tanks. I also had to do yard work for the property, which included mowing, watering plants, weed whacking, and spraying weeds.
Pros
Off by 3:00
Cons
Having to wear a hard hat all day.
Fun and Good Place to work!
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Emmetsburg, IAFebruary 14, 2018
It is a very good place to work. They are really good about working with their employees and teaching you what you need to know for the job. They really do care for their employees and go above and beyond for them.
Decent job
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Caro, MIFebruary 14, 2018
A typical day is sitting in the control room monitoring and juggling the various processes, punctuated by sampling. However, at any moment a piece of equipment could break and cause critical machinery to shut down. It's much like an ER in that sense, boring down time and then sudden mayhem requiring fast decisions. It takes a long time to develop competency/confidence in this position, and you don't get much help in way of effective on-boarding or useful training. There is training, but it can seem pretty distant from what you will actually be doing as an operator. If you are truly a self starter and inquisitive, you will do well, but training lacks serious structure. The worst part about being an operator is that if anything went wrong, it always tends to fall on you, regardless if it was a communication error by management, or if production is pushed to the point where you get put into a no-win situation. Generally speaking, you only see upper management in the plant when there is a problem, which fosters bad working relationships. That being said, managers do care about what is going on, and many of the problems occur because their bosses, the corporate execs, are located far away and try to manage from there.
The most stressful part of the job is also the most rewarding: when something goes catastrophically wrong and you find the problem and fix it.
Culture and feel is going to very vary a lot from shift to shift, but the overall corporate culture is positive and puts safety as its priority.
Pros
Decent pay, free meals, profit sharing, free gym, clothing & boot allowance
Cons
Long hours, is either boring or an emergency, lots to take in at first hire
Welcoming co-workers, guaranteed hours per week, and lots of employee perks.
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashton, IA 51232January 5, 2018
EMployee perks were great. Lunches were often catered, monthly birthday cakes, good communication, everybody works well with each other. Work hours are guarenteed, I would choose to work for Poet at any time given the option of them or another company.
Pros
Flexible with scheduling
Cons
One employee with bad attitude made it uncomfortable at times.
friendly work environment
Plant Technician Trainer (Former Employee) –  Marion, OhioJanuary 3, 2018
enjoyed the work, learned many aspects in maintenance. Management very good. People were eager to learn. good work environment. good computer training.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
outside work in the winter in Ohio
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashton, IANovember 12, 2017
I worked here for three years. Treated well and everyone got along. People became like family. Long hours but paid really well. Takes time to learn the job but everyone works with you and helps you out.
Pros
Lots of free food and work with you for time off
Cons
Long hours, rotating shifts
Top Biofuel Company
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 6, 2017
Each and every company will have all walks of life in and out of management. The site where I was located had hired a manager with no management/leadership skill. That was highly dangerous in that environment. The fellow employees were some of the best employees I have ever had the luxury of working with in the private job field.
Fast paced but for the most part acceptable work load.
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Emmetsburg, IASeptember 10, 2017
When plant is running well, normal work load and stress level is low. Normal day is gathering samples and monitoring equipment. If part of plant fails it's a mad dash to restart. Often must attend meetings on days off.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Can be held rsponsible for mechanical failures.
Learning advancement.
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Corning, IASeptember 4, 2017
Learned tons of things I never thought I would even have interest in and continuing to learn new things ever day.
Each day is a different task, its not your normal same thing everyday. Hardest part of the job is adjusting to 12 hour shifts with rotating between days and nights every 6 weeks. The most enjoyable is paychecks and the opportunity to gain profit sharing. The people are alright too I guess.
Pros
Lots of catered in food. Decent pay. Benefits (insurance wise)
Cons
Long Hours, working holidays and weekends, also the rotating shift
great so far
E&I Tech (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, INJuly 26, 2017
More relaxed than last place common sense attitude towards things don't overthink it. let you perform the job without micromanagement, It is very good place so far I think it will be ok.
Positive
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Jewell, IAJuly 13, 2017
Great place to work I would go back if they had a position opening! I had to leave daughter passed away and they understood Great employer and employees.
Pros
Great pay, good enviroment
Cons
No openings
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Gowrie, IAJuly 10, 2017
Long work weeks, and long hours. Poor pay for high stress work. Turn over rate is high. Management only cares about making a profit and not their employees having a home life.
Pros
Long hours if you want money
Cons
No home life, no consistency in work eithics, pay is poor
Stay Away!
Technician II (Former Employee) –  North Manchester, INJune 20, 2017
Company has high turnover and doesn't care about employee safety.
No opportunities for advancement for hourly employees. No incentives to stay with the company long-term.
Pros
Cons
everything
Good company to work for with good benefits
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lake Crystal, MNMay 17, 2017
Good company to work for, but kind of clicky when it came to the office staff. I did the accounts payable and processed the payments. Also prepared the payroll when my boss was on vacation. Managed Grain customer contracts prepared payments for them upon contract fulfillment.
Pros
Free lunches when we had meetings ect
Cons
People talking behind others backs
Terrible place to work.
Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, INFebruary 15, 2017
Your day would start with the normal being talked to like an idiot. Then you would be told to do the most idiotic things even though you told them it wasn't the best idea. Then you would be blamed or fired for doing what you were told. Basically doing your job above the absolute minimum would get you in trouble. Don't bother trying to better yourself or the company. Ran by the incompetant telling the unwilling to do the unecessary.
Pros
Absolutely Terrible Place to Work.
Cons
Part-time hours were hard to get.
some long days
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, INJuly 30, 2016
co-workers were good to work with, some days we were real busy other days we cleaned the plant. not enough spare emploees
High wages with caring and helpful upper management
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Caro, MIJuly 21, 2016
Poet is in the top tier for wages in the surrounding area. The GM in Caro really makes an effort for everyone to feel like part of the Poet family. Poet-Caro is filled with highly trained employees that has lead Poet -Caro to be the best ethanol refinery out of the 27 Poet plants.
Nice place to work
Plant Electrician (Current Employee) –  Emmetsburg, IAJanuary 5, 2016
management is good, the people I work with are hard workers.
There is nothing hard about my job. I love a good challenge when it comes to doing my job
Great people and good working culture
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Glenville, MNOctober 15, 2015
I maintained inventory, as in ordering spare parts and equipment. Receiving and shipping of in coming and out going parts. coordinating with vendors to meet deadlines.

I was trained in time management and meeting deadlines. I learned about managing inventory and co-workers to meet deadlines with projects.

The management team was always willing to help guide you where you wanted to get to in your career, they were easy going and family oriented.

My Co-workers were easy to get along with and helpful with any help a person that would need it.

The hardest part of my job was when management would come tell me that we needed a part the same day and then I would have to run around and find someone with the part that they wanted with out and heads up on what was going on.

The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the vendors for parts and ordering things in.
Opportunity to grow with much autonomy
EH&S Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Marion, OHJuly 13, 2015
Although the structure of the company does not allow for smooth transitions with regards to advancement, one has every opportunity take on challenges with the freedom to approach them as deemed appropriate. With the skeleton structure, management appreciates self-starters and makes soliciting continuous improvement ideas as simple as possible. Resources are readily provided for the idea submitter to promptly tackle the completion and implementation of their idea.

This is a wonderful opportunity for hourly team members as overtime is always available. POET is a perfect opportunity for young ambitious self-starters to learn and develop their skills. Their development will be limited only by their level of ambition.
Pros
Perfect opportunity for personal development and great hourly wage
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities