Point Loma Nazarene University Employee Reviews

Student Jobs
Media Services Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2018
Pretty easy and helpful student job as an IT help desk operator. Gave me the chance to do a lot of homework and brush up on my customer service skills.
Pros
money
Cons
no benefits
Incredible environment with possible advancements
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 11, 2018
The work environment for my particular job was centered on teamwork and collaboration while still trusting in the ability to make quick and reliable decisions individually. The management is very understanding of personal issues as faith is another main focus of working at Point Loma. You get to make incredible connections while developing great people and problem solving skills.
Wonderful people, difficult environment
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2018
Working at PLNU is an incredibly heart-warming experience, but it is low paying with very little room for growth.
The work came in waves with season of incredibly slow work and seasons of working overtime. The people I worked with were wonderful, but I was going nowhere fast. It is a Christ-centered environment which is really nice!
Excellent Culture
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 22, 2017
PLNU is a fantastic place to work. Clear mission. Strong leadership. Highly recommend. Wish the salaries were more competitive, but they make up for it with benefits.
Beautiful location in a traditional Christian environment
International Ministries Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2017
The organization is growing and necessary changes are taking place. This is a great place to work if you like to surround yourself with natural beauty; the ocean view is amazing! Most students and co-workers are pleasant to work with. There are great benefits but the pay is not very good and there aren’t very many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Great benefits like health insurance, 403B, appreciation events, reduced meals in the cafeteria, tuition remission, reduced tuition for dependents, and discounted development center for children ages 3 and 4.
Cons
Few opportunities for growth, low pay, HR does not always respond well or fast to complaints, minimal training
Great community of people
Graduate Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
Everyone treats you like family. Very great community culture at PLNU. Graduate programs could be more integrated with the rest of the University, but overall amazing experience!
I want to advance but need a Doctorate to get hired.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 4, 2018
I wish my 2 Masters were enough to get hired full time.
I enjoy working as an adjunct teacher but would be willing to leave the elementary school I work in to work full time with adults and new projects. I would like to help set up a bilingual education for teachers-to-be with my Spanish skills.
Pros
Working with adults
Cons
Not getting hired full time
People are great, pay is terrible
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2017
The people I work with are very nice and hard working people. The only problem is that we're working a full time job that normally would pay 5 -10 dollars an hour more minimum at anywhere else in San Diego. We're all frustrated with the low pay, and the HR department does whatever it (legally) can to not give us our benefits. The plus side to the job, is being able to work right next to the ocean, we do get a good amount of time off. The most enjoyable part of the day is being able to work outdoors right next to the ocean. the hardest part is not making enough money to be able to live in San Diego. I've had to get a second job just to make ends meet.
Pros
ocean, vacation time, outdoors
Cons
bad pay, hard work days, short breaks
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 26, 2018
Fun place to work depending on your position. Can be different depending on your job. As a researcher it was enjoyable, the literature and writing could be stressful but it was mostly on your own time.
Point Loma
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 4, 2017
I had three Jobs at Point Loma, Office Assistant, Lab Assistant and Research Assistant. You don't get benefits because they're student work places for work studies only on campus. You go on vacation whne the campus goes on vacation. If you're sick you call out its fine.
Pros
summer researchers got breafast snacks and lunch once a week from the staff
Cons
sometimes research would take longer than 8 hours a day but it would average out to 8 hours, Lab Assisting was without cons, as was office assisting
Awesome people, awesome view, awesome culture! Pay not so good.
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2013
Point Loma treats their employees well. Most of them work from 8am-4:30pm. the way it is managed is different in every department, but overall it is well managed. Some of the nicest and most generous people work there. However, some of the most snooty people you'll ever meet work there as well. Overall, it is a great place with great people. The hardest part is dealing with the low pay and slow advancement. Everything of that nature runs through an HR department that is trying to run an entire university... they are not very concerned with a low-end employee's individual effort. They usually give raises across the board (i.e. this year all employees received a $70 a month pay increase) that is not based on merit but based on how much money they have to appease their workers.
Pros
Awesome location, people, and culture. Job security.
Cons
Pay and advancement.
It was great
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2017
Point Loma Nazarene University's chemistry department is a great place to work. The management is fair, benefits are reasonable, and the work of investing in student's lives is important and rewarding.
Good work place
Admissions Assistant/Tour Guide- Part Time (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed my time as a receptionist and a tour guide in the admissions office. I felt cared for and supported. The rest of the staff was very positive. I would recommend.
Terrific place to work!
Senior Marketing Writer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2018
Amazing colleagues, environment and projects. Strong teamwork culture. Encouraging and respectful Christian workplace. Outstanding leadership within the university and within the marketing department.
Productive enjoyable flexible workday
Statistical Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2012
We would watch world cup soccer games and rate players and then implement the ratings to an online website to be shared around the world. I learned how to lead a group of 5 individuals, to be quick on my toes when making decisions and to be very detailed and organized. Management was great and very fluid. The hardest part of the job was to take on extra job roles for absent employees. All around the job was a great experience and I learned a lot in the process.
Pros
management, compensation, team work, experiance
Cons
schedule, games where at 4-5 am.
Productively and gracefully place to work
Multicultural Liaison (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2017
Great place to work. I love the culture of the university. They are pro people. People is treated with honor and respect, no matter what is their cultural, social, economic, educational status.
Pros
Great Benefits, Plave to growth, location
Cons
non
great work experience with great workers
Orioles organization, Aberdeen MD (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2013
We would set up the field for games, break down the field after games, and work on the field in between games. We would cut the grass, weed eat all around the athletic facilities. I learned how to manage multiple fields and playing venues, while developing good work relationships. It was a pretty easy job because it involved being around athletics and the fields, which I love.
Pros
we got free lunches on game day, being around baseball all the time
Cons
not many benefits
loved it
Mail Services Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 7, 2018
I worked with steve and loved him. It was an environment that often was fast-paced, yet organized enough to take any of the curveballs that were thrown at them. I loved working here.
Wonderful people and I enjoyed the work
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
The best things about working at Point Loma Nazarene University are the wonderful people. I enjoyed my work and how my immediate supervisor helped to coach and train me. It is also a BEAUTIFUL place to work and had excellent benefits. I would highly recommend PLNU as a place to either work or continue your education!
Pros
Caring atmosphere, people, being able to help people
Cons
trimming work force
Great Place to Work
Financial Aid Officer-Loan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 13, 2017
I loved working at PLNU. The culture of the campus was supportive and family oriented. The hardest part of the job was the workload I had to take on as a remote employee, but the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere, the support from management and that I did not have to take work home with me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Point Loma Nazarene University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight