POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great work environment
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Albans, NYAugust 5, 2018
The work environment is great. Everybody gets along for the most part, and the pay is great for the job we do. The management really care about their employees, and we never felt neglected or over worked. Very flexible hours, can still maintain another job and school.
Fun and outgoing work environment
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 31, 2018
Overall, my first experience with this company helped me tremendously with my social skills. Working with large groups also encouraged my leadership skills along with being able to handle many personalities at once.
Pros
Judgement free zone environment
Summer Job
Referee (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYJuly 24, 2018
I had a great experience working at PAL during High School. I was able to teach the children about soccer and help improve their skills on the paying field.
typical day at work
PAL Staff (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 24, 2018
my job is to wake up early in the morning, head to a specific location,set up fun games, such as airhocky,pool,cards game, and basketball. keeping the kids active were my number one goal from monday to friday.
Fun place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 7, 2018
I tutored children and helped kids with school work. I also helped organize different activities with the children. I was a intern and the job environment is exciting.
good experience for your first internship
Internship PAL (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 6, 2018
working there its pretty fun you get to watch kids and do a internship at the same time its pretty good i recommend it for people who's in high school its a good experience.
Exciting workplace
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 30, 2018
I worked with children in the third grade. Learned various ways to educate them through class and play. Attending trips was the most enjoyable part. Taught the children various facts about cultures they never heard about.
Pros
Trips
Cons
packed day
Its okay
Center Central Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
everyone has to work and its a pay check. PAL is okay if you live a busy life but in terms of long term career goals its a no for me. I love helping the kids but the company needs some help as a whole.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Overall a great place to work if you’re a college student
Coach (Former Employee) –  Delaware City, DEJune 21, 2018
Although I didn’t make the best of money, it was a very fun/upbeat/rewarding/energetic/once in a life time experience. I loved my time at PAL and would absolutely love to be employed here again if there was more room for career advancement.
Pros
Free food and free travel.
Cons
I can’t really name any
Good managerial team
Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 17, 2018
As a counselor, supervising toddlers wasn't easy task. However, my managers made it their best interest to help me as much as possible. This made work very easy.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks
Supervise children
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJ 08401June 14, 2018
It is usually a calm environment, you work with children and are in charge of overseeing them thru out the daily activities which are usually in doors but occasionally there will be trips.
Productive and fun environment love encouraging
ACTIVITIES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 4, 2018
Doing lessons plans encouraging my students.
Most enjoyable part is having fun with the kids and looking forward to my debates and doing different clubs and activities
Pros
Working with the kids and employees and meeting celebrities and influencing the students
Cons
The work hours
Love working with kids then it's a great job
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMay 24, 2018
I really love working with the kids and staff and my boss. The internal workings of PAL i feel can be better.
I supervise the day to day runs of the after school program. We have different activities that we do examples: homework everyday, gym, art, dance, and smarts. I like all aspects but i find the smarts are restricting.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
work time
good job
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2018
Great job if you love working with children. This job was one of my favorite jobs because I enjoy kids. They always have a way to make your day. Everyday at work was a story to tell.
Extremely loving and fun
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 7, 2018
Working with PAL has given me eye opening views on life and the lives of children. It made Me realize the potential of the children around us and the potential i had to become a leader
Productive and fun workplace.
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
• Assisted elementary students with homework and projects.
• Monitored and distributed lunch for students.
• Instructed children during indoor and outdoor recreation sessions.
• Coached little league baseball and basketball tournaments.
intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 27, 2018
For a part time job, this place isnt so back, it pays very fairly for a couple of hours of work. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking for a quick job.
Pros
pay fairly
Cons
Was far from my house
Good place to work for ppl interested in Child Care
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 11, 2018
The concept and mission of PAL is amazing. The execution of the mission is questionable.The organization's headquarters is not very organized. If you are looking for a job in management or administration it can be stressful. I have seen a great turnover of staff. If you would like to work directly with kids and make a difference , you can start with PAL and move forward.
this was a summer job
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 10, 2018
this job was my first job and i loved it. the people were so nice they help me get use to the work place what to expect and i would recommend it as a stepping stone for a first job
Pros
long breaks
Cons
boring paper work
Not what I expected
Assistant Center Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2018
As a assistant center director you will scrub toilets, report leaked, and change garbage bags in addition to supervise afterschool activity and staff, manage rate of participation, and meal counts. What I hated about this job was micro-management, this stifles creativity and has the staff walking on egg shells constantly. The staff has great ideas but the culture does not allow it, the do as I say management style is limiting and ideas are not shared or welcomed. Rate of participation amongst afterschool participants is lacking because of the structure of afterschool programming which is in need of a STEM specialists and meaningful trips. I hated that emails were sent out from management past 10pm and as early as 6am.

This is not the Police Athletic League of the past that promoted from within and nurtured and encouraged leaders to their full potential.
Pros
Third party training was encouraged
Cons
The pay was below median for program directors