POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE Employee Reviews

Extremely loving and fun
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 7, 2018
Working with PAL has given me eye opening views on life and the lives of children. It made Me realize the potential of the children around us and the potential i had to become a leader
Productive and fun workplace.
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
• Assisted elementary students with homework and projects.
• Monitored and distributed lunch for students.
• Instructed children during indoor and outdoor recreation sessions.
• Coached little league baseball and basketball tournaments.
intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 27, 2018
For a part time job, this place isnt so back, it pays very fairly for a couple of hours of work. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking for a quick job.
Pros
pay fairly
Cons
Was far from my house
Good place to work for ppl interested in Child Care
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 11, 2018
The concept and mission of PAL is amazing. The execution of the mission is questionable.The organization's headquarters is not very organized. If you are looking for a job in management or administration it can be stressful. I have seen a great turnover of staff. If you would like to work directly with kids and make a difference , you can start with PAL and move forward.
this was a summer job
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 10, 2018
this job was my first job and i loved it. the people were so nice they help me get use to the work place what to expect and i would recommend it as a stepping stone for a first job
Pros
long breaks
Cons
boring paper work
Not what I expected
Assistant Center Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 9, 2018
As a assistant center director you will scrub toilets, report leaked, and change garbage bags in addition to supervise afterschool activity and staff, manage rate of participation, and meal counts. What I hated about this job was micro-management, this stifles creativity and has the staff walking on egg shells constantly. The staff has great ideas but the culture does not allow it, the do as I say management style is limiting and ideas are not shared or welcomed. Rate of participation amongst afterschool participants is lacking because of the structure of afterschool programming which is in need of a STEM specialists and meaningful trips. I hated that emails were sent out from management past 10pm and as early as 6am.

This is not the Police Athletic League of the past that promoted from within and nurtured and encouraged leaders to their full potential.
Pros
Third party training was encouraged
Cons
The pay was below median for program directors
A learning experience that was fun and taught life lessons
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2018
The day usually starts by greeting the staff and children, then helping the kids with their homework and then moving on to other after school activities like gym, dance, and art. I learned to have a lot of patience with children because things can get hectic.
Everyone was respectful and treated me like family, it was somewhat of a second home.
Pros
free lunch
Laid Back
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Things go smooth when everyone is on the same page. When given a task no one is on your back about getting it done right away, as long as you complete the project in a timely matter.
Pros
free lunch, different opportunities
PAL Review
Assistant Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 9, 2018
I love to work with kids. In this job I got to watch over many different age group of kids. Each group I got along with and made sure everything was done good at the job.
Pros
Free Lunch, Paid Trips
Cons
not worth time , good for young teenagers
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYFebruary 3, 2018
not worth the pay, too much stress with parents and the children , hours were ridiculously short , getting less than 33$ a day for the after school program, only would recommend young teenagers still in school to consider or maybe someone retired who enjoys working with kids . not good if you have bills to pay
Slow paced but fun
Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 2, 2018
My experience at the PAL was short lived, however, I worked with some amazing women in hopes of delivering services to inner city youth. I briefly facilitated after school workshops to roughly 20 children. It was a bit challenging as I had only facilitated a parenting class prior, however, that was the beauty of it all. You could design each day with a topic of interest for the kids. Unfortunately I left the job because they didn't provide enough hours during the week and the gig was part time.
Pros
Pleasant staff, informed, positive
Cons
Not enough hours
Police Athletic League
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Working with the police athletic league was awesome!! Got to be involved with not only the Dept of Ed but also the day to day activities with the students and other staff.
great
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2018
The internship was amazing, great people who care about the community. An amazing opportunity if you choose to go along that career path. The people there also care about your well being with daily check up to see how you are doing.
productive place with stem program
SYEP (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2018
The stem program and tennis programs are great
fun environment for young kids i recommend you sign then up early for the program field trips are the best museum trips , go kart trips
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
intern for an internship
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 16, 2018
a typical day at work iscommuting after school to the police atheltic league for the intership. we usually worked with kids like doing homework or doing some kind of sport with them. I learned better communication skills like dealing with the parents of the children. th workplace culture is friendly because of being with kids my age the hardest part was the long hours , the most enjoyable part was working with other people.
Pros
fun trips, making frie
Fun
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Its pretty fun specially if you like kids. You learn educational children activities. Playful learning environment which helps kids mature. Variety of different nationalities.
Fun
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2017
Coordinated and supervised recreational activities and greet all visitors to site as well as escort participants to tournaments. Coached participants with sports activities.
Summer Camp Supervisor
Supervising Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2017
Great and fun place to work. The most enjoyable moment is watching the children make new friends while exploring new options. The centers need more funding and supplies.
Teacher Assistant
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 20, 2017
assist teachers, with the students such as, taking attendance, look after students between break and lunch time.
I had a good time there, by learning new things, and working in different teams
Pros
good place to work
Cons
N/a
Great Seasonal Job To Have
Administrative Assistant/Assist Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2017
I started out with PAL as an assistant to the director, and over the course of 20 or more years, I have held positions as a assistant director of Plat Streets, Youth Program Coordinator, Night Center arts and craft specialist, parent coordinator, all f which I am proud to say, that I loved what I did, interacting with staff, parents and children.
Pros
working on Play Streets
Cons
coordinating youth work shops

Ask a question about working or interviewing at POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE. Our community is ready to answer.