Polk Mechanical Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Expectations need to be expressed
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 23, 2018
The work day was a typical one for construction management. It was also pretty straight forward for the work as well. They have different project managers who do their job differently. There isn't a standard operating procedure for managing a project. So you get assigned to different project managers for about a year to learn how they run their projects. There isn't any warning about how you need to improve or where you need to improve, they just fire you. The expectations of upper management need to be expressed to those people below them, and there needs to be in place a standard way of doing business. They state that they treat everyone like family, but that really isn't the case. It's just business when it boils down to it. The enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have helped build something that people will use on a daily basis. Being able to help create something, and taking pride in the role that you played.
Pros
managers are understanding, steady work
Cons
no structure for advancement, different expectations of upper management and lower management.
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 14, 2018
if you have a UPC code tattooed an your arm this is the place for you. The co workers are good. Just a bunch of Squirrels looking for that nut. At the end of the day your disposable. Loyalty is not returned.
polk
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2018
There are some great employees and some that arent. We never knew our future ar polk. It was either a spectacular day or a horrible day due to the Vice President i n charge.
Lack of communication
Journeyman Plumber (Former Employee) –  Denison, TXJanuary 23, 2018
Poor management.. lack of concern for employees, stressful, and materials where always late leaving employees taskless. Company was just a joke all together.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible management
Environment depends on the supervisor working for
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Long commutes to and from job sites with rare per diem. A segregated work place on most projects. Lots of drama and must know someone in order to advance in this company.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long commutes
You are just a number
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 20, 2017
Hard work is best reinforced by compensation and gratitude from management. The company may function differently now, but when I was there it was very cut-throat.
Treats Employees with Respect
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 5, 2017
The company is growing in size and in earnings, but they still maintain that inclusive family feel that I love. The tenure of some of the employees here is great, but I they are not afraid of new talent and new ideas as well. It's busy here for all of us, but I feel like the work I am doing is contributing to our success, and that I am making a difference. They treat all of us with respect, and genuinely care about our role here. I am friends with many of my coworkers outside of work, and value the fact that my management team knows the names of my family members, and what is going on outside of these four walls. The values that they preach show, and I can't say that for every company that I've worked for.
very professional job sites enjoyed working for them.
Industrial/Commercial Plumber (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2017
good crews, very standard work schedules, excellent safety standards I had the pleasure of working on state contract job sites in Prarie view AM i was able to learn much from the supervisors and foreman there wish i could acquire fulltime status.
Pros
large contracts
Cons
temporary positions only
Supervisor- Varied (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 13, 2017
A lot of people up from the Houston Branch but people will have the option to go out of town to Houston and help in doing plumbing work. If you have no plumbing knowledge and want to learn the company will pay to send you to CEF school.
Official response from Polk Mechanical
September 25, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience and letting people know about our plumbing and CEF opportunities.

good work invirerment
Plumbing foreman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2017
tell you one thing then turn it around on you later. never do what they tell you. safety first tell it slow down the job then it is back to what ever gets the job done
moved on
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 20, 2017
Ok, but needed a change. Lots of changes in company structure. Feared security, so found a better job. People I worked with were steller. No room for advancement.
Great Experience
Intern Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 22, 2017
Great Experience. Provided me with great management experience and great hands on experience. They want to put you where you work best and they will do what they can to make it happen.
Probuctive, And professinol work inviernment
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 6, 2016
Working for polk was a great experience. It taught me great work skills and gave me a great since of professionalism. Managment was great to staff and took very good care off each one of us.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Work enviornment
Fun people to work with.
Construction Plumber (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 6, 2016
Not a very hard job at all, lots of different people to work with, and always something different to do day in and day out.
but very bad communication with employees.
Productive and Fun work Environment
PLUMBER APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 22, 2016
It was a great job that I learned multiple good skills at. I had a great time learning and enjoying my time spent with the company along side an immaculate team of employees by my side.
Decent place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 28, 2016
The company itself is good for the most part but the management needs work. some managers are a little to laid back and seem to not like to talk to those who are managers below them and have no idea what they are doing and are extremely partial only to certain employees. The pay is ok but you never get a raise and some are overpaid as they cannot do their job on their own without managements help. There is also not a lot of room to move up the ladder of success. Management also says they are going to do something and never follow through.
Pros
Large company
Cons
Never get raises, No room for advancement, things never get accomplished.
Average company to work for.
HVAC Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2016
Some productive, working days ok, some good coworkers, hard to get along with management. Sometimes difficult to communicate with management. Helping customers solving problems with equipment.
I enjoyed the job the enviornment was productive and friendly
Pipefitter Helper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2015
I liked what i did, I akso learned how to weld and pipefit, the job was great the pay was awesome managemnent was stern , down to earth, it was hard to do our job because at times people would seal our supplies out the storage box.
Pros
free lunches, overtime good pay, reasonable work schedule
Cons
It would be crowded and smelly at times
polk
Welder Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 14, 2015
i loved the place great company!!!! One of the first companys that really care about their employees. i would love to come back and work for polk machanics.
Great Company No Questions
Service Operations / Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2015
Polk is a great company, prior to me leaving we were Encompass which filed chapter 11. because of Sept. 11th and mistakes Encompass made they laid off hundreds of people. I left due to many people being let go and I was recruited for a better opportunity and money.
Pros
Class A Owner and Managers