PopSugar

PopSugar Employee Reviews

United States13 reviews
Popsugar has a wonderful work environment. Very positive and upbeat. Great executive management team allowing employees to develop in several areas.
Popsugar is bsolutely the wonderful way to get into the blogging world and start getting content out to the world. Absolutely love the staff and process from draft to publication.
I was hired as the wardrobe stylist for the pop sugar x Kohl's summer campaign and truly enjoyed myself. The style director was super helpful in understanding what needed to be done and the producers and creative director was also a pleasure to work with.
I loved working each day at POPSUGAR! The office enivronment is vivacious and charming. I was happy to come into work each day to assist with the production of content I personally enjoy as well as enhance my skills by learning from the amazing POPSUGAR employees.
I honestly don't feel comfortable reviewing this company because I was their in house voice over artist, not a salary based employee. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Excellent place to work.
Strong management.

Would benefit from offering more flexibility in work style.

Committed to diversity and inclusion.

Respectful culture.
You are asked to do multiple jobs, but not compensated for such. If others can not keep up with the pace you are expected to pick up their slack. People who don't do well get promoted simply because of favoritsim/likeability. Upper management is mostly people who were promoted from within because they were there when someone left not because they had the experience. No one leaves their desks because they are too busy. Actual good employees are not recognized or advanced. Very cliquey. Layoffs keep happening even though company says it is doing well. The snacks are good.
Pros
Snacks, Benefits
Cons
Enviornment, Management
PopSugar is a digital media company that has been in operation for over 10 years yet still very much operates like a start up in many ways. A few of those ways being - 1) almost everyone is pulling more weight than they should be given their title/compensation, 2) upper management constantly changing processes, laying off teams, having difficulty figuring out and successful business model, and 3) as briefly mentioned in my last point, the company is not profitable in it's current state.

On the bright side - POPSUGAR office culture is akin to the tech/start up feel - open floorplan with no offices, fun events like happy hours to boost morale, snacks in the kitchen at all times.

Overall I am grateful for my experience at POPSUGAR thanks to the people I worked with (excluding upper management). The company for the most part operates like a "family" from a social perspective and your coworkers make it all worthwhile.
I was very devoted to POPSUGAR and worked long hours and executed over 1200 research proposals a year.

My day started at 6:30 am and continued until 6:30 or later each night producing research proposals, analyzing data, creating and executing surveys, updating our Insights web site and providing sales with indivicual research requests.

I worked with a good team and enjoyed my job very much. I was very communicative and relayed all my ideas that were always implemented.
Pros
great company and products
Cons
I was laid off
Needs work! No diversity within the company and a lot of bullying takes place at this company. I highly recommend that HR and upper management partake in diversity sensitivity training courses and seminars.
Teams work well cross-departmentally and everyone shows a great amount of respect for each other. POPSUGAR has great work incentives and everyone seems to enjoy contributing to the big picture.
POPSUGAR allowed me to combine my love of writing and fashion for 6+ years. I learned so much, including writing witty, attention-grabbing headlines, how to Photoshop beautiful collages, and the workings of social media. I was able to move from fashion to lifestyle/city writing throughout my time there, and through the latter I learned about photography, networked at lots of local events, and interviewed countless celebrities.
A typical day involves constant multi-tasking. Be ready to learn because everyone is constantly learning. The hardest part of the job is the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.