Port Authority of Allegheny County Employee Reviews

Port Authority of Allegheny County is a great company to work for
Certified Signal Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 19, 2019
I enjoy working for the Port Authority of Allegheny County and am looking to stay with the company and advance in my position. It is a union job which is great.
Job cosumes your life.
Rail car and Bus operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2019
This place is god awful to work at. The public is horrible and the management is clueless. They promote idiots. So if you screw up alot you will advance with this company. Also cannot take any time off if you do not have sick days. So if you get sick have to take 2 days off at a time and bring in doctors note.
Pros
Co workers are awesome
Cons
Management is horrible and public is brutal
In conclusion, this job was an experience for me.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 22, 2018
My typical day driving. Always check board for any route changes. Check 2nd board for which bus has been assigned to me. Complete pre-trip. Provide transportation for passengers. Pull bus back in garage.

I was taught different street routes of Pittsburgh.

Very poorly managed. The disability teaching video had to be at least
thirty five years old. There was no direction in that class at all. Management is not friendly with fellow workers. Mostly curt and rude

The work place culture should learn respect and consideration towards others.

The hardest part of the job was getting enough down time to be refreshed for next driving trip.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to provide transportation for people and seeing them happy.
Pros
I enjoyed helping people get to there destination and driving. The hospitalization, eye coverage and dental were at a great price. The pay scale was the best I have ever had.
Cons
Driving late at night thru challenged areas of the city was a little nerve racking at times.
Best worst job ever!
"A" Bus Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2018
The pay and benefits are top notch. The rest of working here sucks! Management is horrible to work with. They treat you like a number. Beat you down till morale is gone then wonder why everyone hates it here. Could be a great place to work if it wasn't for the management .
Pros
Pay and Benefits!!!
Cons
Management.
God workplace
Capital Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2018
good workplace there is lots of time passed since my work there but I enjoyed my time at the Port Authority Good place to work on budget and work with engineers
pretty good place to work.
Bus driver full time (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 10, 2018
it was a nice place to work. the Camaraderie between Workers was very good. The Worker Manager relationship could be challenging. When I worked there always worrying if you were going to have a job was stressful.
Pros
lasting friendships
Cons
split shifts
Great place to grow and make a decent living.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2018
Port Authority gave me a hand up when I really needed it. I was living with family and friend and in my truck at the time. Port was good for me and allowed me to recognize my other potentials.
Pros
The money is well earned and good!
Cons
The hours can be unstable.
Sign Painter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2018
Best job I ever had. You can be anything you want to be here; no matter what the the position is, you will be given on the job training. You can be proficient at several jobs; from mechanic to shipping and receiving to working in the upholstery shop.
Pros
Pension, free pass for life
Operators driving just to pay their bills. Poor hours, poor breaks, poor equipment, poor conditions.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMay 22, 2018
Job is shuttling passengers from ghetto-to-ghetto. Job is unforgiving. Bus operators cannot make a mistake--passenger "call operators out" on any inconsistency with service. The amount of liability the drivers are held accountable for, does not balance with the rate of pay. High-risk/Low-reward.
Pros
Little (or no) supervision.
Cons
Wow? Anything you can possibly fathom.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2018
Great paying professional career, enjoyed working with management and riding public.
Great pay and benefits strong unionATU85

Working with a great crew of co- workers and managers, weight room great facilities
Pros
Salary benifits
Cons
Stress
High level of responsibility
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 22, 2017
The demands of public Transit can be very stressful if you allow it. It takes personal discipline to maintain balance in the workplace. The Authority has excellent upper management and places emphasis on connecting people to life. The Port Authority of Allegheny County is a great career opportunity.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
Heavy mental stress load.
Workplace
Bus and Light Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
great place to work for and a really fun environment. The management team is well in place and they know how to run their place of business. Have driven on the bus side and am currently working on the light rail side of this company.
Rewarding work
Assistant Manager of Railcar Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 5, 2017
Rewarding work . Tough environment but proud to provide a service to the taxpayers of the county. Many difficulties but there is room for learning and gaining experience
Good learning experence
Sr. Real Estate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 13, 2017
It was my first experience in the transporation industry. I was actually a contract employee. As such, I was able to see how things operate in government at this level.
Pros
New experience - Met my wife there
Cons
Structure
No social life
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 6, 2017
Working for Port Authority, you have no time for social life. The work schedules are rigid for now hires and you may have regular weekends off after thirteen years of service.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 30, 2017
Great place to work. Great benefits. No pressure unless an emergency. Great fellow employees.. I would and do recommend this job to anyone. Room for advancement.
televisions to watch the weather before leaving
Commercial Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work was greeting passengers and keeping time points. The hardest part of the day was sitting in traffic or dealing with an unruly passenger. I had no problems with Management
Benefits
Cons
Bathroom stops
They hire you to fire you.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ross Twp, PASeptember 24, 2016
Beware. Can be dangerous as a driver and the real police are never called in so you may wait 1/2 for port authority police assistance since they aren't everywhere. So if you are in an altercation with an unruly passenger you may be on your own for awhile. Then company has no sympathy for you. They say it's all part of the job. Sometimes we may be the only ones on the bus without a weapon or the ability to defend ourselves without getting written up. You don't hear this stuff on news because they keep it only within our own police force. Even if you're shot at. Unless a passenger is injured. They aren't worried about the drivers.
Pros
Good wages. Good meeting so many people.
Cons
Lack of care of the dangers to the drivers.
Great place to work. Very good health benefits
DRIVER & ROAD OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 4, 2016
Was a good career and provided very well for my family. The health benefits are so important. Hardest part driving in bad weather. All the good people that I met in 25 yrs.
Cons
Rest rooms on route.
A great job with good benefits.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PennsylvaniaAugust 28, 2015
Working for the Port Authority was over all a great experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the hardest part was dealing with the traffic and weather.
I was very fortunate to have great supervisors and co-workers many of whom I remain friends with today.