Port Authority of Allegheny County Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to grow and make a decent living.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2018
Port Authority gave me a hand up when I really needed it. I was living with family and friend and in my truck at the time. Port was good for me and allowed me to recognize my other potentials.
Pros
The money is well earned and good!
Cons
The hours can be unstable.
Sign Painter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2018
Best job I ever had. You can be anything you want to be here; no matter what the the position is, you will be given on the job training. You can be proficient at several jobs; from mechanic to shipping and receiving to working in the upholstery shop.
Pros
Pension, free pass for life
Operators driving just to pay their bills. Poor hours, poor breaks, poor equipment, poor conditions.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMay 22, 2018
Job is shuttling passengers from ghetto-to-ghetto. Job is unforgiving. Bus operators cannot make a mistake--passenger "call operators out" on any inconsistency with service. The amount of liability the drivers are held accountable for, does not balance with the rate of pay. High-risk/Low-reward.
Pros
Little (or no) supervision.
Cons
Wow? Anything you can possibly fathom.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 14, 2018
Great paying professional career, enjoyed working with management and riding public.
Great pay and benefits strong unionATU85

Working with a great crew of co- workers and managers, weight room great facilities
Pros
Salary benifits
Cons
Stress
High level of responsibility
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 22, 2017
The demands of public Transit can be very stressful if you allow it. It takes personal discipline to maintain balance in the workplace. The Authority has excellent upper management and places emphasis on connecting people to life. The Port Authority of Allegheny County is a great career opportunity.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
Heavy mental stress load.
Workplace
Bus and Light Rail Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
great place to work for and a really fun environment. The management team is well in place and they know how to run their place of business. Have driven on the bus side and am currently working on the light rail side of this company.
Rewarding work
Assistant Manager of Railcar Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 5, 2017
Rewarding work . Tough environment but proud to provide a service to the taxpayers of the county. Many difficulties but there is room for learning and gaining experience
Good learning experence
Sr. Real Estate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 13, 2017
It was my first experience in the transporation industry. I was actually a contract employee. As such, I was able to see how things operate in government at this level.
Pros
New experience - Met my wife there
Cons
Structure
No social life
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 6, 2017
Working for Port Authority, you have no time for social life. The work schedules are rigid for now hires and you may have regular weekends off after thirteen years of service.
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 30, 2017
Great place to work. Great benefits. No pressure unless an emergency. Great fellow employees.. I would and do recommend this job to anyone. Room for advancement.
televisions to watch the weather before leaving
Commercial Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work was greeting passengers and keeping time points. The hardest part of the day was sitting in traffic or dealing with an unruly passenger. I had no problems with Management
Benefits
Cons
Bathroom stops
They hire you to fire you.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ross Twp, PASeptember 24, 2016
Beware. Can be dangerous as a driver and the real police are never called in so you may wait 1/2 for port authority police assistance since they aren't everywhere. So if you are in an altercation with an unruly passenger you may be on your own for awhile. Then company has no sympathy for you. They say it's all part of the job. Sometimes we may be the only ones on the bus without a weapon or the ability to defend ourselves without getting written up. You don't hear this stuff on news because they keep it only within our own police force. Even if you're shot at. Unless a passenger is injured. They aren't worried about the drivers.
Pros
Good wages. Good meeting so many people.
Cons
Lack of care of the dangers to the drivers.
A great job with good benefits.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PennsylvaniaAugust 28, 2015
Working for the Port Authority was over all a great experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the hardest part was dealing with the traffic and weather.
I was very fortunate to have great supervisors and co-workers many of whom I remain friends with today.
Loved my job
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  WEST MIFFLIN GARAGEMarch 15, 2015
Great place to work. I learned alot about customer service. Begin on time overcoming adversity. And working well with co workers to get the job done proffesionally and safely.
Pros
Free bus rides and great benifits
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Worked maintenance on trolley system. clean and couple or uncouple trains together
Excellent legal position, until it expired.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2015
I accepted a temporary legal secretary position at Port Authority. An union employee secured the position. The assignment was terminated.
Pros
Excellent company to work for
Cons
Assignment completed
My job was not stressful, but I felt like I was always being watched since I was a union employee
Legal Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2014
I typed letters and documents from attorneys. The hardest part of the job was not feeling like I was included as a part of the team. I was the only union employee in the department.
Pros
Free bus pass, pension
Cons
Employees in my department were not very friendly
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PaNovember 8, 2013
varied by position held. I learned the difference between managers and co-workers
Pros
varied by position held
Cons
varied by position held
Great place to be employed at.
Police Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 3, 2013
-Monitor CCTV
-Answer emergency calls
-Dispatch units as needed
good work place
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 26, 2013
typical work day involved transporting passengers. hardest part of the job was traffic. most enjoyable part of the job was greeting the passengers and sometime engaging in conversation 2 brighten their day and mine!! Co-workers were great we supported each other.
Pros
senority was used to pick runs, vacations, and days off