Port City Java
Happiness rating is 70 out of 100

Working at Port City Java: 46 Reviews

United States46 reviews

freebreakmanagerlottimeenjoygoodmanagement

Easy training and work environment

PROSEasy job after 2 week training processFriendly co-workers and work environmentCash and credit tipsCONSPay is way below minimum wageYou don't get breaks or shift meals, only employee discounts and free shift drinks Lack of support from management and corporate

Very Fun

This job was honestly the best job I've ever had. My manager at the time treated everyone fairly and showed genuine authenticity. Learning more than the taste of coffee was super beneficial. I will say it is definitely for younger people so high school drama will be inevitable but overall everyone is kind, and ready to serve! Would definitely go back just for fun.

Pros

amazing regulars and extensive knowledge on coffee

Cons

drama on occasion but that's unavoidable at any job

Port City Java insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Great Company

Great part-time job experience. I worked at Port City Java as a barista in college and it was a great part-time job that I was able to have while in school. The ambiance is extremely nice and relaxing. Plus the management was always helpful.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Can be extremely fast paced at times

Inclusive work environment and not too stressful

I worked for Port City Java for 2 years and it has been my favorite job yet! I only quit because I was moving, if that wasn't the case, I'd most likely still be there. Training can be overwhelming but once you get into the groove of things, the job becomes second nature and quite enjoyable. Everyone at my cafe became some of my best friends, the environment was very open and comfortable. My manager was amazing and the sense of family there between coworkers made me actually look forward going into work most days!

Pros

paid breaks, comfortable work environment, good management

Cons

fast paced

Satisfying if you’re into coffee ASMR videos

The work itself is very satisfying if you put in the extra effort to make the store run smoothly. When I make a cappuccino with perfectly glossy, thick foam or when everything in the store in neat and orderly I feel quite content. How much you enjoy this kind of work is really about your own attitude towards it. There are tasks that are unpleasant (no one wants to clean the drain by the espresso machine or the big airpot) but it helps to think like, “well, if I don’t do it then someone else is gonna have to” and then that makes it easier to do that task. And as an end result you take a little pride in making the store clean and shining and I also think it adds to your sense of self respect that you don’t put yourself above doing somewhat messy cleaning tasks. I enjoy working here despite some annoyances. The pay isn’t good but the schedule is wonderfully flexible and there are opportunities to show creativity if you keep an eye open for them. What I like best about this job is that after the shift is done - it’s done. I can go home and focus on the things that are really important to me without being distracted by things that have happened at work. I’ll probably only work here a little while longer but I won’t look back and think that I wasted my time being here. It’s been fun! ~ Also, coffee culture is lit ~

Pros

Free coffee, at slow times you can rest even though you’re not on break

Cons

Pay is low

great

fun small coffee shop to workout, would recommend for highschoolers during the summer. I had a good time and learned a lot. Overall pretty easy and didn't require too much

Enjoyed my position as a barista

I worked as a barista for Port City Java. I would say the only con is the pay is low, however customers do often tip and that is much appreciated! Thoroughly enjoyed the engaging aspect with customers as well as the opportunity to learn all about preparing coffee and espresso!

Great for students

Management is a disaster, depends on the location as well, but it is a good job for students that offers flexibility. At times management feels like high school. They expect you to do a lot of work for such little pay and are very strict about everything. Some managers will watch the cameras even when they are not there.

Redundant job, but good benefits and fun people.

Hours for any person from 530a-1030p. Very redundant work, you rarely learn something new. Definitely some favoritism from higher ups. All managers are very different, typically the bad ones get weeded out within a few months. Once you get it, it's not hard. Typically great people work at each cafe.

Pros

health insurance

fun but stressful place

I worked here for two years. I had a great time and I met a lot of amazing people but wow. the customers can be so rude and sometimes I could not stand it. the boss would always yell at me. i felt like I was never truly appreciated, which sucks because I put in all of my time and energy into this job.

Pros

nice coworkers

Cons

no breaks, no free meals, boss

Productive and fun work environment.

Fun and friendly work environment. Laid off because not enough hours. Nice and friendly coworkers. Moved at a fast pace. Consistent work hours. Understanding management.

Not a horrible place to work.

There’s really no “benefits” for working at PCJ but the people are nice. I work on bakery side of the operation and the pay is really good for how easy the work is.

Pros

Pretty good pay for the light work load.

Cons

No benifits so it’s really only good as a second job. Not your primary job.

Fun place to work at!

You will enjoy your time at PCJ, coffee making is an art and it is enjoyable. The customers and regulars are pretty awesome too! Great job for beginning college students or high school students.

If you are not part of the "in" crowd, then you are out.

Gaslighting, disrespect and toxic are just a few words that come to mind when I think about my time here. The culture is clicky and there is no support from the top down. The rules are stringent and the company is not flexible at all. Time to give up any work-life balance you should have. A lot of gossip and unproductiveness that leadership knows about and turns a blind eye to if you are in the "in" crowd.

Fun workplace but no real room for advancement.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers and some of the regulars plus learning how to multi-task effectively felt good. The hardest part of the job was maybe not having enough workers to match the demand of customers and labor.

Fun Workplace

This was a great company/franchise to work for. I worked there for over 6 years, starting out as a barista and eventually managing for about 2 years. I worked with an amazing group of people and had a great group of regular guests. Most of them are still there!

Good people to work with in a creatively charged environment.

Routines are found quickly and training is straight forward. You can gain responsibility as you work and ask questions to gain understanding. Upper management has great experience in the industry and is willing to share.

Pros

Free pound of coffee a week.

Cons

Little room for growth in compensation.

Extremely fast paced, independence needed.

The job can be high-stress, especially for students. The work around your schedule fairly well. Breaks are not always given, especially 15 min paid break. Management is ok, though many things could be improved on. You need pretty thick skin to work here, and you need to be able to stand on your own two feet, thinking ahead and keeping up with your work are vital skills.

Pros

food discounts, flexability

Great fun

Great place to meet people and learn how to make good coffee. I enjoyed my time there. I made good friends and coffee too. I recommend the employer to anybody.

Relaxed and fun coffee shop

I loved working at Port City Java. The management was clear and helpful. Also they were able to work with my school schedule which was great. My coworkers were kind and worked as a strong team.

A small town coffee shop

Good place to work, however they are very rigid in their overall mindset and want you to follow protocol. Sometimes upper management forgot that people are here and make mistakes. But it is not the baristas fault if a mistake is made, its the lack of training that a manager gives.

Common questions about Port City Java

Answered by current and former employees at Port City Java

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Port City Java. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight