PORT OF OAKLAND Employee Reviews

Good
Internship (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 22, 2018
I've learned a lot here. I've learned a lot about how to deal with people and how to get along with colleagues. This is a place where I have a deep experience and where I grew up.
Productive work environment
Aviation Senior Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 20, 2018
Employees are given a wide range of autonomy and risk taking opportunities. Very little direct supervision or guidance is provided. Employees appear to be expected to be virtually self-sufficient with no feedback from management on progress or direct guidance if needed.
Pros of working for port of oakland
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 22, 2018
People are quick to help you understand and train you on safety habits. Accommodating with sick paid time. They respect their employees and always notify you of their satisfaction of your work.
Non stressful work place.
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 12, 2018
I worked every day, I was always on time and always ready to take charge on assignments. All managers and supervisors always gave me great feed back on my work.
Greatest job ive ever had
Environmental Health and Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 22, 2017
Working at the Port of Oakland was an incredible opportunity and was truly one of the most memorable experiences i've ever had. I loved every second there, I made a ton of friends and was able to learn a lot by just being an intern.
Pros
I felt welcomed and everyone was amazing
Cons
was a temporary intern role
Fast paced, productive organization
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 17, 2017
Working for the Port of Oakland as a first job helped me to develop my current work ethics and some of the skills I current use today. The Port of Oakland is an excellent organization to work for, they definitely take care of their employees.
Pros
Outside work, holiday, vacation and sick pay allowed
Ok
Operator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 31, 2017
The port of Oakland is is a good company to work for. I would recommend the port of Oakland as a good place to work. While work for the port I accumulated a lot of skill operating the forklift.
Fast pace environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 22, 2016
Unloading and loading trailers
We learned how to load a 53' trailer to the tilt
Management was excellent
All my co-workers were funny characters, made working easy
The hardest part of the job was maintaining each trailer on the dock
The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers
Pros
free lunches every friday
Cons
short breaks and hot trailers
Fun environment meeting new people
Ground Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 28, 2016
Fun quick environment meeting a lot of new people in and out of the airport. Fun pace ensuring customers have reliable transportation to get to where they need to be and have a great experience and want to come back and fly Oakland.
Interesting and informative
Technical Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland International AirportJanuary 22, 2016
Fast paced, ever changing environment. Strong networking ability. Teamwork was a must. 24 hour, 7 day rotating work schedules was the hardest part. Most enjoyable part was people watching.
Working by loading Cranes
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 23, 2015
Working with expert engineers, that allows you to learn more about the Engineering industry. Overall, it was a great experience to work with the Engineers that they already had tons of experiences in the field of Engineering.
Pros
Complementry coffee
Cons
No candy with the coffee
Security intensive atmosphere
Sr. Buyer Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 17, 2015
As a contract worker I experienced the requirements of Public Purchasing and Public Bidding Process.
The process is centralized although the duties are fractionalized by the divisions of the Port's functions, i.e. aviation, shipping and rail.
Pros
Intense security environment
Cons
Supportive employee atmosphere
A good place to work with a very diverse demographic of people
Desktop Support and Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 13, 2015
There was no such thing as a typical day on this job.

My direct supervisors and managers were really good to work with and honestly made it worth it. My co-workers as well made it all possible.

This was a challenging role and a challenging situation for anybody. I took the job as a challenge. We had to do the work of an entire army with very few people and resources and we pulled it off so well that we wrapped up the deployments early.

The hardest part was being in the lead role while things changed and processes were interrupted at every turn. It was stressful but, also the most rewarding part of the entire gig.
Pros
short commute. good people. good work.
Cons
low pay. temp contract. no opportunity for advancment
geart job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 13, 2015
wake up going too work feeling good cause i know i was going too work with some good co-workers the most enjoyable job...would love too go back and work for them
Great place to work for with excellent salary
Administrative Asst (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Typical day start with opening emails, retrieving messages, and going to meeting for updated information on today's agenda. Return calls, updated database, and set up conference rooms for seminars and corporate meetings.
Pros
Lot of free food, comes in on a regular basis
Cons
Demanding
Positive environment
Insurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland AirportApril 8, 2014
Port of Oakland, Oakland Airport was a job in training for me. At that time (present-time), Port is not hiring ! I was able to enhance my job skills in the administrative positions; but could not get into the port as a permanent worker...
Pros
Excellent training opportunities
Cons
Port of Oakland is not hiring...
temp job
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  West Oakland, CASeptember 23, 2013
loading trucks
how to work under pressure
fair
not being late on loading
exsercise
Pros
work out
Cons
over worked
Productive Workplace
Landside Operations (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 1, 2013
A typical day at work would be for me to take the lost and found messages from the day before, then try to find the customers items and if we have it in the lost and found then I would call them and let them know. I would either mail their item out to them or have them come in and pick it up, which ever is better for the customer. Then I would start on renewing parking permits and for new employees with the Oakland Airport I would get them started on a new application for their parking permit. After that I would take a break and after my break I would work on filing papers while answering the phone for the lost and found.
Great Internship opprotunity
Media & Public Relations (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 14, 2013
The Port of Oakland offers a great internship opportunity for students in college and high school. Make sure you take advantage of it!
productive and fun place to work with very nice and helpful people
Ground Transportation Coordinator assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work was made of phone calls and answers,meeting,meeting report writing, spreadsheet setting, problem solving,payment handling,files updating.but also talking with colleagues at break time from whom I learned a lot professionally and personally.
The manager, very professional and passionate with his job,very helpful.the co-workers, helpful as well and fun.
The hardest part of the job was to explain the same thing many times to customers who were not cooperative.and have to enforce the rules and regulations;
most enjoyable when customers are happy and we received positive feedback.And the feeling of a job well done at the end of the day.
Pros
Nice working environment, free lunches sometime, Nice people
Cons
office not opened to day light.