PORT OF SAN DIEGO Employee Reviews

Productive, fun place to work!
SSA General Manager (Former Employee) –  Port of San DiegoNovember 21, 2018
Great place to work. Welcoming accommodating and professional environment.
There was a lot of room forward movement within the company. It would be hard-pressed to find a more welcoming accommodating environment!
Pros
The work itself is fun and challenging
Cons
Need to make sure to get done as much as possible
Great people, great location, great learning environment
Organizational Development Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2018
I felt like I learned more in my part-time internship at the Port of San Diego than I did during my schooling! It was incredibly enjoyable, educational, and I miss it a lot!
Where do I start
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2018
The culture of the Port of San Diego is really poor. Management doesn't seem to care about the employees and it's a shame since it has the potential to be really great. This company doesn't really promote working cohesively. The Human Resource Department is the WORST! They should simply start over. I really thought this would be my final job but couldn't wait to get another one after my probationary period ended. I could never recommend working for this organization because they are both clueless and classless!
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management, Human Resources, Culture, Ethics, Area (too much airport traffic).
Such a disappointment
IT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2018
Nothing good to say about this place.

Mangement is a joke
Retraining leadership to be less of a joke is never going to work.
The organization is rotting from the top down.
They dont care about people they serve in the community.
Contracting agreements are for friends and family, good luck getting business if you arent connected in some way.
Records are destroyed
Only thing good about this place is harbor police.
Incompentent leaders
Pros
Lots of time off paid for holidays and every other friday off
Cons
Management and leadership is a joke
Add skills to my Knowledge
San Diego - Document Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2018
High Skills and help employees to add more knowledge by attending class training. Send to different state to attend additional skills and to help on communication for presentation
Bureaucracy with lip service
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2018
The Port management claims it wants to be innovative and creative but hasn't changed a bit since proclaiming this. Innovative and creative ideas are shot down and staff is treated horribly. The workload gets greater and greater with less and less people to do it. The benefits no longer compare to other government agencies, other than those who were hired a long time ago. Choose another agency or go to the private sector if you don't want to be a "typical government worker" as that all the Port has to offer.
Pros
Lots of time off, including every other Friday
Cons
Poor management, long hours, limited staff, lots of lip service, no action
Pretty nice office
Auditor Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2018
I worked in an office with a couple of other employees in the same branch and it was alright. My job as an auditor assistant was very slow paced most of the time since I didn't have much work available for me to do so I had a bit of free time, but usually tried to get other work done when I had time.
Pros
computer work, file management
Cons
can be on the computer for a while, not the most exciting
Difficult to manage the politics and stress
Director of Corporate Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2017
There are many talented, motivated employees at the Port of San Diego. Many opportunities for growth and challenge. I learned to work with a variety of departments that performed very different functions. When I started, the airport was a part of the Port.
Pros
Highly skilled professionals
Cons
Inconsistent management
Public Agency Moving Forward in a Private Mindset
Energy Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2017
I think now is a great time to work at the Port more than ever before.
-Typical day for most people consists of a lot of meetings. Most of the agency's work revolves around the Board Meeting which requires lots of documentation well in advance
-As an intern I learned and was exposed to a lot. As someone from the private/nonprofit sector I learned that public agencies take a long time to process anything
-Management is predominantly old-fashioned and conservative, though there are some new, fresher minds trying to shake things up
-Workplace culture is also transforming. Their recent rebrand has shifted the overall mindset to be more progressive and forward thinking; People Strategies and Blue Tech are trying to bring innovation into internal operations as well as external collaborations
-Hardest part is finding a balance with this transitional stage they are in
-Most enjoyable part are definitely the people. These are some of the most productive and positive co-workers I've ever had. Every day I find myself smiling and laughing during and in between meetings.
Pros
Cafe located within the building
Cons
You might not get any sunlight in your office
Productive an fun place to work
Maintenance (temp) (Current Employee) –  National City, CA 91950August 16, 2017
The first day i started work everyone treated me as if i had been working there for months. They gave me a well welcome that made me get comfortable an got right to work. The day to day labor we do is challenging but with co-workers like them everthing got done and the work environment is great .
Pros
Fun place to work
The hardest part of the job
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2016
Working at Port of San Diego was ok, The hardest part of the job was the training by several different people trying to teach me different ways to do one job, and being told I was doing the job incorrect. Never knew which was really the right way.
Pros
Temp work- no pros for me
Cons
I was working
Great and diverse workplace
EQUIPTMENT OPERATOR/ TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2016
Enjoyed wokingfor the port.Great.People.Great company,new jobs to do.Differently every day,working on the waterfront,and getting paid, cant beat the atmosphere,no regrets! For over 20 years,great benefits and retirement package. Recommend to any one,who wants a great career with a greatcompany! Thanks! Don lukich
Awesome place, awesome and respectable people.
Office Assistant/ Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2012
i had to scan documentation into the computer, I also had to do filing. Another task was to answer the phone and transfer calls to my superiors. I had to clean, organize and maintain a positive environment. I enjoy every part of the job.