Port of Seattle Employee Reviews

it was pretty relaxed
Security Guard- American Guard Services (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 12, 2019
i don't know to much about port work but doing security at the port was a lot of fun got to work with many different people very fast pace rewarding!!
Great mission / Poor Management
Senior Manager Aviation Security (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 4, 2019
The Port is a primary economic engine for the PNW. Lack of vision, accountability and sometimes ethics, make it a difficult place to work. There are many ideas presented but extreme lack of follow through. Career advancement is alleged but seldom followed through with. Transparency and accountability have historically been a problem for the Port and it continues to be so today.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Enjoyable place to work
LANDSIDE OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2019
I enjoyed my work at the ATO at the Port of Seattle. Got along well with co-workers and most of the Management, I would return to The Port if the right opportunity were to arise.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
Shift work
Great place to work with lots of room for advanvcement
HR Talent Acquisition Assistant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Port of Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2019
I loved working at the Port. I had great management and was lucky to work with a great team. They offer internships for employees that are interested in other fields and also promote from within very often.
Lots to learn and great foot in the door
Airport Operations Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJanuary 11, 2019
Would recommend for anyone trying to get foot in the door for airports or aviation- great experience! Would recommend. Very nice people but can be a little gossipy and catty.
Pros
Relaxed, work unsupervised
Cons
People can be catty in professional office environment. Also, very clear hierarchy of the workforce.
Productive with great benefits
Payroll Manager, AFR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2018
The Port of Seattle is an exciting, fulfilling place to work with great opportunities of advancement. The employees are great and the atmosphere is one of continuity and a sense of satisfaction that we are all working toward the same goal.
Avoid the Port like the plague
Strategic Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 27, 2018
This highly political environment is not conducive to getting anything done. The senior executives are not subject-matter experts, but, rather, political appointees. They have far less experience and fewer skills than those they supervise.
It may seem like a great place to work because the pay and benefits are good. But the soul-crushing culture is not worth the money. Stay away!!
Public entity where the trust of the people is paramount
Assistant Resident Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 9, 2018
The port has wonderful benefits, excellent opportunities, and a drive to ensure that the public gets the best functioning port for the taxes that they pay.

For me the culture is wonderful, my challenge is that the construction management department is very small and that my manager and I have communications challenges. While I hope to overcome these challenges I also recognize that the port may simply be a poor fit for me.
Pros
New and interestsing challenges
Cons
limited options if you have a poor experience with your manager.
Good working enviroment
Maintenance engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 3, 2018
Good and Bad. Great pay and benefits. Busy and stressful at times but depends on the seasons. Typical work day is performing PM's on conveyor systems and clearing baggage jams.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Dirty work enviroment.
No micro management
Landside Supervisor, Airport Transit Operations (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAAugust 13, 2018
With my manager we are given a lot of freedom to perform our jobs and accomplish our goals. We have a lot of flexibility in our positions and are on the front line of our organization.
Pros
Less stress
Cons
Slow advancement
fast paced
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 23, 2018
The job was fast paced. We constantly had boats, trains, and trucks coming in to the port with cargo that had to be checked in and out on a schedule. We also had to secure the parking lot and the crew that came in to the port.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
not enough pay
Relaxed workplace
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 1, 2018
Relaxed workplace with a gym and showers for employees and many close by restaurants. I learned a lot from my internship here, made many connections, and built many relationships.
i loved working here
Load Dock Coordinator Emergency Hire (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJune 13, 2018
in my time here i realized how much security is important. for the most part all employees are friendly and it is a great work environment . if another full time position opens i'm definitely applying
Very calm and enjoyable
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2018
It was an amazing place to work. I was an intern here and my experience over 3 months was very good. Very welcoming and you learn a great set of skills.
Poor Management and workers
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Marine MaintenanceApril 1, 2018
Not a good place.! I will never work or recommend this place. Very poor supervisors and bad management. A very hostile environment. Happy I left.....
Pros
You do get take lunch
Cons
Fun place but very slow paced
Undergraduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2018
Good workplace culture and great people but due to the nature of being a public sector, all the processes were extremely slow and difficult to optimize. I'm a industrial and systems engineer major who studies how to constantly improve a process and this job, though the environment is great, is not an ideal fit for me personally.
Pros
great people and environment
Cons
very slow
Slow & Steady
Aviation Security (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMarch 7, 2018
The Port of Seattle can be a great place to work for some people. If you like a slower-paced environment, this is the place for you. Very collaborative processes. Very bureaucratic but there are some amazing people there. Organization is undergoing a lot of change. The mission statement and values of the org are admirable. Worth a try.
Pros
Competitive pay for some positions, good benefits, great work-life balance
Cons
Bureaucratic, slow-paced, tons of meetings, advancement can be limited based on your work group.
Rewarding Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 11, 2018
The internship is what you make of it. It's a great learning experience and offers tremendous networking opportunities. The culture is more relaxed, and the people are friendly. The Pier 69 office on the Seattle waterfront and Sea-Tac Airport offices are awesome. Compensation is better than most internships, especially for being local government. The constant change in executive and Commission leadership can have an effect on goals and work culture.
Pros
Work Locations, Compensation
Cons
Executive Management
Reporting work mostly
Data Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 7, 2018
Good place to understand airport operations. Mostly worked with airport schedules related data. Work is mostly around tracking and reporting daily / weekly basis.
Great place to work if you are in the right department with the right managment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WADecember 18, 2017
Overall the Port is a great employer that offers room for growth. It really is about who you work for and there are some bad managers that shouldn't be in leadership positions but because they are, the Port backs them and doesn't back the employee. Many people are given promotions and that often means that they are responsible for managing others, but unfortunately don't have the skills to be a good manager. In some respects its not their fault, but it would be nice if managers were required to learn the skills to help motivate and help their employees instead of just documenting everything they do wrong so they can have an employee terminated.
Pros
pension plan, paid time off, good pay
Cons
bad management, HR not supportive