PORTAGE COUNTY Employee Reviews

A great place to retire from
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJune 26, 2018
A good place to work; full of great learning experiences. There are opportunities for advancement and overtime. You meet people from all walks of life.
Corrections Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIMarch 14, 2018
I found the whole experience to be terrible. The training was stressful. The staff is unhappy. The management is sub par, only doing something when it helps them out. No one ever wanted to help you. Corrections is a hard job and they made it 100X worse. There are some great coworkers and some not so great ones. Tip, If you suck up it will get you a cushy day shift job. I would not wish that job on my worst enemy.
Pros
The lovely smell of the jail. NOT!
Cons
No lunches or breaks, You are allowed them but you never get to have one unless you smoke, always short staffed, turnover is terrible.
had been a good place to work until management change
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 8, 2017
When the Executive Director retired and the new person took over that position the entire culture changed. It became dog eat dog and stressful. Granted this was a difficult position but to continually be dogged about tasks that did not fall under your job responsibilities was rediculous.
Portage County Care Center
CNA (Former Employee) –  Portage County WIJune 26, 2017
The preemployment process took 2.7 weeks. But once hired they rushed me through orientation. And stuck/trained me only on 1 wing. I could not get a break from this wing. Other CNAs could work other wings but I was stuck on the hardest and higher census area. Some nurses were helpful but there was one that would not help the aides and was warned about. Had to suck up otherwise you were targeted by this one nurse. Very hostile nurse that everyone feared.
Would catch my coworkers on their phones, Fitbits and smartwatches all the time despite the strict policy. Aides and nurses would use snapchat at the nursing station. Very annoying as I would ask for help in caring for my resident set but denied as co-workers were playing on phones when they finished for the night. Huge language barrier with one aide. Spoke broken English gave up trying to understand her. Admin Assistant seemed to not care very harsh and crass. A total eat your young environment. A problem with HIPPA as I caught family members of residents going behind the nursing stations with paperwork and PHI documents laying about during day shift. HIPPA containers for paperwork are just totes. Not a lockable container.
So many issues.
Pros
Saying you are a county worker
Cons
Mandations, trying to work with people who fudge policys, having your nurse take break before you. Everything.
Great place to work for a 'select few' chosen favorites
Records/Microfilm (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJune 9, 2017
Great for a select few. Rampant favoritism. Hard work and excellent attendance does not matter. It is who you know and how much kissing up you are willing to do.
Pros
Easy work for the most part
Cons
Raises and promotions are very rare. Favoritism
this was a fall temp job
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WIFebruary 5, 2017
I enjoyed this type of work vary much. Mowing lawns, shoveling sidewalks, plowing, weeding and landscaping. All employees working for Stevens Point are enjoyable to work with and talk to.
Pros
stress free outdoor work
Cons
working in the cold or hot weather
Fun and Productive place to work.
Portage County-UW Extension 4-H Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevens Point, WINovember 30, 2016
This is a great place to gain experience in community relations. The county deals with so many different things that you never know what your day will entail. Great education and learning experience!
Pros
excellent management
Cons
My job was temporary
good place to work
Maintenace (Current Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Steady work, good benefits. Union job. Lots of maintenance of buildings and grounds. Co- workers are good. It is also PERS which is great.
not a work friendly atmosphere
Income maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJune 27, 2015
enjoyed helping the clients - management was horrible, hours and pay and benefits good -- union not very strong or helpful
Pros
salary
Cons
mgmt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PORTAGE COUNTY. Our community is ready to answer.

PORTAGE COUNTY Reviews by Location