Portamedic Employee Reviews

Very professional company, enjoyed being independent.
Paramedical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Working at Hooper Holmes Portamedic in Modesto, CA, was one of the most rewarding careers i've had. I also learned skills that I didn't imagine even using. The freedom of making my own appointments, and salary were big perks as well.
Pros
Independent
Cons
Driving
Medical Examiner
Medical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIFebruary 16, 2018
working at Portamedic was excellent when you have little children because you get to make your own hours. if you didnt feel safe you didnt have to go to the client house and the manager understood that.
Pros
you get paid per client so you can do 10 clients in one day and be off the rest of the week
Cons
no benefits
Base pay was awful
Phlebotomist/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  northern californiaFebruary 5, 2018
base pay was $10.00 then by what was done/pay scale and something that was sent would always disappear so they wouldn't pay you for it. traveling a lot. good for single people. no benefits but you scheduled when you wanted to work
Pros
your own schedule
Cons
your paper work was always missing and never given all of the tools to preform job well
not enough work
Mobile Insurance Examiner (Current Employee) –  East Providence, RIFebruary 2, 2018
Doing insurance exams. Having to work around the clients schedules was difficult. A lot was done at night or on the weekends. It can get stressful at times trying to make an appointment with clients.
Pros
making your own schedule
Cons
trying to make your own schedule
Mobile examiner
Mobile Examiner (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 17, 2018
Good place to start if you just finish school. flexible, contract. they will provide supplies you need. You will need your own car, and your time. Great for a part time job.
Ok while I was there
Paramedical Examiner, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIJanuary 3, 2018
Ok if you are ok with being a contractor. Not FT just as needed for examines. Should pay more for gas and client no shows. Overall I liked the flexibility and freedom
poor reimbursement
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 23, 2017
The insurance companies must have blood work in order to complete a policy yet those of us who were out there drawing the blood is poorly reimbursed for each assignment. It wasn't worth my time or effort.
Energetic self-starter, love working in the healthcare field, dedicated beyond normal.
PHLEBOTOMIST/SPECIMEN PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 12, 2017
A wonderful company to work for that is all I can add. very helpful with training along with providing information helpful for you complete all job duties.
Pros
able to reach deadlines.
Cons
when other employees does not make do not make a team effort.
The job where you won't make money
Medical Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2017
This job, if you're an independent contractor, is stressful. Not because of the clients but because of the lack of training. Management will spring rules on you that they never mentioned in orientation (which is kind of a joke) and while at first the pay seems fair, you quickly realize that the tools you're given to do the job are inadequate. I had to buy my own needles, gauze, gloves, and tourniquets because the ones they provided were terrible. Not to mention the travel time and Metro cards. Which theoretically can be written off for taxes, but that's assuming all independent contractors aren't totally screwed over by this Republican tax bill that's poised to pass. The company is much more interested in the paperwork than in the medical care so if health care is your passion, skip applying here. Not to mention the work is sporadic at best.
Pros
Setting your own hours
Cons
Everything else
I liked teh people at Portamedic but the work was sporadic and not full time by any means
Paramedical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 10, 2017
nothing to say. work was sporadic, It was difficult to plan a good work week and to have enough work to make a reasonable living. management was very friendly and helpful but the examiner job was not truly full time..
Pros
easy work load
Cons
not enough work
closed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 27, 2017
Business is closed no longer able to work for this company. wasnt a bad job liked it, was comfortable working for this company then got laid off so the company doesn't
Cool fun job
Life Insurance Medical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Tarzana, CAOctober 10, 2017
Probably the best job I ever had. Cool environment, employees and management. Flexible schedule and fun job. Can make a lot of money if you know how to work the company.
contractor
Independent Contractor- For Insurance Exams (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 19, 2017
Do insurance exams which may include medical history, vitals, EKG and blood and urine collections. The medical history may be done on a tablet or on paper. Company now owned by APPS
Great team!
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 6, 2017
I worked in the field as a paramedical examiner and set my own hours. My supervisor was very understanding and fair. Company was easy to reach and very good about communication.
Pros
Make your own schedule
alot of work for staff to do
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYAugust 22, 2017
we were given work orders and called applicants to set up appointments to see applicants to get specimens for disability and life insurance I learned how to work independently and solve problems by myself the hardest part of the job is going to an appointment and the client is not there the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people. management are very nice caring compassionate and always on your side and find ways to help you.
interesting job
Paramedical Examiner (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 21, 2017
This is not the kind of job that everyone enjoys, but I did. You really can work as much as you want and the pay is dependent on the company you are doing the exams for.
Pros
self run
Cons
clients easy to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 2, 2017
You go into the client home to perform insurance exams. There was an assessment taken, blood pressure, weights, and collected urine for urinalysis.

Management was hard to contact when you needed. them.

I hardly made any money because they would schedule me 2 jobs a week. So it was a little ridiculous.
Pros
talk with different clients every day
Cons
not enough work
terrible job
Mobil examiner-Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 26, 2017
extremely long work days without lunches or break.Very short time to spend home between shifts before you are back at work. constant days on with no time off. constant write ups.
Pros
cheap insurance
Cons
no lunches and no breaks
Sold exam service to lfe agents.
Territory Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 19, 2017
Enjoyed developing new business, Called on agent offices, Had some great nurses and paramedics who did a great job., Put presentation book together showing Ins. companies and individual agents who gave us great reviews., Wrote a rap about the company
Pros
Loved developing new business.
Cons
One bad paramedic who dresses like a member of motor cycle gang., Lost customers
Portamedic
Contract Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 9, 2017
A typical day is whatever you scheduled. Whether it be 1 client or 10. I love the fact you could make your own appointments with the client. And the money wasn't bad either
Pros
great schedule