Porter Hills Retirement Communities & Services

Porter Hills Retirement Communities & Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
porter hills is clean environment and really cares for their residents
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 15, 2018
Porter Hills has an excellent rehabilitation program, as well as excellent care for their long term residents. Residents are able to come live in the Residential Health area, as their ability to do for themselves decreases are able to move the Health Center for long term care.
Pros
mon-fri has a cafeteria that employees can purchase their lunches from.
Cons
seven 12 hourin a two week period shifts
No longer the best in the industry.
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 16, 2018
HR is terrible, never onsite or available for assistance and rude to staff when they call for help. Long hours, forced overtime, mandation, no help from management, pay is terrible, no incentives, always short staffed, so many promises and no follow through. High resident to cna ratios like 12-15 per cna, call offs are terrible. All the 5 star reviews are written by the hr team.
Pros
Great health insurance, coworkers, residents
Cons
Being away from family so much, pay, high ratios, no incentive, no support.
Don't work at the rehabilitation center
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 7, 2018
Porter hills rehabilitation center are racist, they also don't care about the residents, a nurse on 1st shift watch a resident choke didn't intervene even when asked to by a CNA. Two days later the resident died. Horrible experience, they chastise good employees & let the lazy slackers pass.
Pros
Cons
Racist environment
It was only about the residents
waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2018
Stressful, always short staffed. Doesn't understand what it's like to have young kids. they dont know how to work with people with disabilities. When asked for representation to work with my disabilities, they denied them. The management is very unorganized. Always overworking new staff, and lacking in training when you first come in. You might get 3 days of training and then you're on your own. you make more money at burger king. If it wasn't for my residents, I would've quit long ago.
Pros
food benefits, extra hours
Cons
no breaks, low pay, overworked, stressful, no fault policy for call ins
fun
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2018
Working here is one of the best jobs I ever worked at. being able to interact with the residents is fun and heartwarming.The residents are incredible.
PH: To be trusted experts serving seniors with grace
CENA (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 9, 2018
Porter Hills is a care provider of choice in West Michigan, with a strong reputation and 43+ years of experience. Our services are designed to be comprehensive and inclusive, with a great variety of independent or assisted living arrangements, skilled care and special therapies
Pros
Excellent staff and faculty to work with
Cons
They need raises on a more consistent basis
Disorganized, lack of employees, great work enviroment
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 30, 2017
It is disorganozed, and lacks employees, but it is a friendly work enviroment when staff is full. Management helps out as much as they can. Doesnt pay enough and doesnt let you advance to higher positions.
Pros
Free lunch, the employees
Cons
Not paid enough, no breaks half the time
Very productive fast paced work environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 6, 2017
I would definitely recommend this job if you are a go-getter and love the elderly. V's men and women in trust us to take care of them and it was an honor to be able to do that I do wish that management would grab the bull by the horn's and get some of the policies done in a quicker manner , but otherwise great company
Great Teams! Great Care! Great Consistency!
Paid employee (Current Employee) –  VillageAugust 10, 2017
Our ratios are really good, allows time with the residents. Enjoy having the same team of people every day! Good pay/benefits! Our teams are like families and we pull together. The managers listen and our comments and suggestions are valued. Staffing is good, better than in the past. Our positions are almost always full. Management tries to show appreciation and they communicate often.
Pros
Teams, staffing, management, pay
Cons
Parking
Good place to get experience
Office Manager/Admin Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 8, 2017
Porter Hills has been a great place to gain very important experience in my field of work. There are some great leaders and mentors that work for this company!
Great history, not the best management
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 23, 2017
The job overall is super easy, if you love getting to know your residents and providing a fun atmosphere, this is the place for you. The only downside is that the management is not the greatest, always short staffed, and you aren't very appreciated at work. There are never any bonuses.
Decent place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 1, 2017
Porter hills wouldn't be the place I would recommend to you if you wanted to spend time with your family. That definitely overwork you but the money was worth it for me.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Always short staffed. Always being pulled from your main court.
Quality Care
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 25, 2017
A very nice facility, beautiful grounds. Great care provided and very attentive. They always need help so you can potentially get all the hours you want. Definately job security there. Everyone is friendly and work well with others.
Pros
Lots of overtime available
Cons
Stay away from Meadowlark!!!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sparta, MIJanuary 9, 2017
Was told lies about previous person in my position, was never properly trained for my job, came in early and stayed late constantly, boss was a liar and doing illegal things, boss only cares about one employee and is obviously with favoritism. Also was lied to about salary.
Pros
Free meals for CP
Cons
Everything else but the Elders. Stress made me constantly sick
Great out door views and courtyards
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 3, 2017
Great company to for for. Fun activities for the residents. Comfortable and safe environment. Good security for both resident and staff. Free meals for staff every holiday.
Pros
Free meals for staff on holidays
Cons
Shortage of staffing
Beautiful senior living
Certified Nurse Aid (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2016
I loved that job. Being able to take care of the elderly was a privilege. The staff and I were a big family and could always rely on each other no matter what. It is a great place to work.
Do NOT work in the Health and Rehab!
CNA (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2016
Recent pay cuts were given. Everyone is quitting. Short staffed all the time. Management doesn't care and neither does corporate. Not a good place at all!!! It never used to be this way.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything
Productive work place
Resident Assistant/Med Tech (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 14, 2016
Co worker are great. It nice to see a guest with a smile on their face after leaving the store cause we made their day. They work around your schedule. Great rewards when you get a red card
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not enough shift
Porter Hills (Villa Maria)
Resident Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed working for Porter Hills at the Villa Maria location on Walker street. It was so close to my home I could walk there. I worked third shift, which made it kind of hard to balance my life around it. Also, I worked at night alone which I always felt was a safety issue. The residents were all wonderful and I enjoyed assisting them with anything I could help them with. I worked third shift but I also filled in on second shift sometimes. Which I enjoyed more and even once in a while on first shift. I also filled in for Porter Hills at some home care jobs to get extra hours. I felt like job opportunities were limited because their first and second shifts were fully staffed and those people had been there forever.
Pros
Lovely residents.
Cons
third shift position
Run away from this place!
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsSeptember 29, 2015
I worked at Aquinata Hall for just over 3 months. I constantly had coworkers spreading rumors about me and when I talked to the boss, she was not at all supportive. I was accused of lying about it. When I tried to make things better by apologizing, I was told that was "unprofessional behavior" and suspended. Lots of turnover, staff on staff abuse and gossip and not much pay. I liked caring for the Sisters though, but that was the only upside.
Pros
Well liked by the sisters
Cons
Abuse, bullying, no managerial support, very low pay