PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOC Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 13, 2018
They were unfair on everything , they jip customers for their money it doesn’t really go off credit , they are a scams when they call it pops up as scams likely don’t work here or pay the debt owed
Pros
Cons
Carefree staff, crazy shift hours
I loved working here. I hate the Attendence policy. Manager need to be more encouraging. Bonus need to be more and hours need to change
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 4, 2018
Attendence policy sucks anything can happen the way the have it now is for you to be punished. Should be able to use your pto as long as you have it. Need shift exchanges back. Manager need to be more involved.
Not supportive
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 4, 2018
It’s a great place to get experience. But not somewhere I see myself forever. It’s not realistic sometimes. They also show favoritism towards the higher collectors.
Pros
Bonus. Experience.
Cons
Not supportive. Not realistic goals.
good
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 25, 2018
its an okay place to work. There will be pros and cons anywhere you work. They pay well, at times it could be stressful. It depends on who your manager is.
Very goal driven sometimes with unexpected changes stressful
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed the experience ,all I've learnt at Portfolio Recovery Associates they taught me how to truly be a collector to show empathy for customers work with each customer on a case by case basis I always bring 110% to the table and I pride myself on doing the right thing and treat people fairly and with respect
Pros
Leadership, the art of collections
Cons
Not enough training, support for reps struggling to meet goals
Not a easy place to work for
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALJuly 27, 2018
High turn over rate the have a outrageous amount you have to meet each month or you get wrote up you have to clock out to use the restroom and the restrooms are nasty the supervisor talk you nasty and the get away with it
Fast paced, always learning, helpful staff , set hours, very strict,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 12, 2018
This is a very competitive place something is always going on they give out prizes to motivate you to meet your goals and beyond inside gym to stay or get in shape the managers are helpful but have high expectations and they are very strict as far as being on time and meeting your montly goal.
Pros
Fast paced, competitive pay, management helpful, incintives, bonus
Cons
very strict, quotas have to be meet, 3 strike count, frowns on call in & tardy
Unstable
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJuly 9, 2018
They are very unstable with their policies and procedures. Bonuses used to be good but they have cut them by 75%. They will hire almost anyone to fill a seat. They do not believe in leading with integrity.
Pros
free lunches and gym
Cons
Unstable company
I guess it is a good job if you like being a full blown collector
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJuly 1, 2018
I work in a call center environment in other jobs …PRA ‘s call center is loud hard to hear the customers speaking. Sometimes a bit unprofessional between employees and management. If you like setting for most of the day and listening to different kind of rings on the phone , being hung up on, cuss out at times, Then read them a book of disclosures and hope they stay on the phone with you so you can set up a payment plan and then they tell you No after all that … this is the job for you… it is a debt collector job
Pros
It a good place to work if you like doing debt collections
Cons
I don’t like doing debt collections
Office environment with room for growth and a lively campus
Legal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 25, 2018
While at PRA I held two positions, the first being a legal support clerk and the second a custodian of records. I learned the ins and outs of the legal process. As a support clerk, the pleading began with me as I drafted the complaint and edited it for accuracy. As a custodian of records, I managed all types of documents and reviewed them for accuracy, then was sworn in to a notary and signed the document. Had I been with PRA long enough, I would have been called to testify about the documents I signed as a witness in court for PRA. There is a lot of room for growth in this company, and it comes with many benefits and decent hourly pay.
Pros
benefits, time off, hourly pay
Cons
poor management styles, inflexible schedule
Portfolio Recovery is great
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 18, 2018
It has its pros and cons, I like working at portfolio however I need more stability. The management is great. The people are even greater! The people are very welcoming
The job Isn't For Everyone
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 14, 2018
I took this job knowing I'd be getting paid less than my previous job. I took it so that I could have more free time to incorporate multiple streams of income into my home. You HAVE to have a thick mental skin for a job like this. Calling over 700 people everyday can wear thin and you'll be called everything in the book even though you're just doing your job.

On top of this, management and staff do everything to eliminate bonus incentives and it's gotten to a point to where veteran employees comment often that they make less than half of what they used to.

Working that job for a year it brought me so out of my normal character that I tell people all the time I turned evil because of it. It wasn't fun...at all. And the coworkers made it way worse. They put on facades like PRA is a the best place to work but it used to be a much stronger company 10 years ago and paid better too.
Pros
Hour lunches, air conditioned offices
Cons
Pay, benefits, overall, job lifestyle
There are in house competitions and fundraisers
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJune 11, 2018
I love working at Portfolio Recovery Associates they have been flexible with my hours, provided me with necessary time off. They are family oriented. They provide in house competitions and fundraisers as teams, individuals and company wide. Theu have provided me with adequate room for growth and development. They are by far one of the best companies I've ever worked for.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Sometimes the customers we help aren't always the nicest.
collection specialst
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 2, 2018
Started out as account representative, able to move up to account manager in 9 months, received plaque in recognition for promotion. Large company, not to much room to grow.
Very fast pace work environment but pleasant. A lot of talented people in the building and always room to grow and move up in the company. Compensatio
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMarch 21, 2018
Very great company to work for. Monthly bonuses and cash/prize incentives to earn each month. Flexible work schedule. Off every other weekend. Monthly company provided luncheon for all employees
Pros
Great office moral, company provides a company wide luncheon once a month for all employees, Cash incentives with monthly bonuses.
Cons
Face paced with daily changes on company policies and rules
come in, keep your head down. dont make "friends"
Disputes Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 11, 2018
This job is cut throat. Will fire you in a second; they give anyone a management position; FAVORTISM AT ITS BEST; pretty chill; try not to become friends with to many people, will throw you under the bus; management in horrible, many people have been here for years, they over look them for positions, just to give to some one who fits the description...; although they will work with your schedule, but expect write ups;
Pros
end of the month lunch;
Cons
managment; favortism;
competitive but rewarding
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 11, 2018
Portfolio Recovery Associates is a great place to work. It's very professional, the pay is great and it includes bonuses. Very great calm environment.
Pros
great pay, bonuses, free end of month lunches and great benefits package
Cons
difficult customers, potential money lose with quality, constant changes
nice work enviornment
Senior Account Executive collection agent (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMarch 8, 2018
portfolio recovery is a great work place with great benefits. The company has opportunities for advancement but they are not utilized by management. need to focus on the reps working for advancement.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
nice break time
Drama filled, no advancement, management
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXMarch 8, 2018
In my experience, management doesn’t include you in what’s going on in the background, when it comes to minimal mistakes until it’s to late.
In my experience and my operation manager we didn’t have any advancement opportunities available but in other teams you seen people moving up and getting a chance to achieve more.
They have no understanding behind family problems or any thing that doesn’t involve work.
great company
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 25, 2018
i thought it was a nice place to work great staff great incentives as well...no cap bonus was a plus too. The company meetings were alot of fun and kept you motivated to build your base and close a case
Pros
giveaways free turkeys chance to win things
Cons
stress of meeting your goal