Portland Community College Employee Reviews

Dream job minus HR's stingy hiring process
Testing Assistant/Proctor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 14, 2018
Amazing management team. Wonderful place to work. I only wish it could have been permanent. HR makes that difficult with internal hiring, excluding those who are hired as non-classified. But I don't have a grudge with PCC. It's still a great place to work. I'm grateful for my experiences.
Pros
Management, work entailed, benefits if you're classified
Wonderful part time job, teaching Mammography for 4 days/year.
Part Time Mammography Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2018
Great group of professionals to work with. They were very attentive to any of my needs and questions. They were very interested keeping up with the latest trends in radiography. They were concerned that all of their students would have positions available to them when they graduated.
Nice work study job
Facility Monitor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2018
I worked at PCC as a work study student and enjoyed my time there. I was grateful for my supervisors and other students I was able to work with. The culture is fun and not competitive.
Collaborative, easy going, and fun place to work
Resource Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 30, 2018
I love working for Portland Community College and wish my job was permanent. Every one was very welcoming and understanding. It gave my great experience working with at-risk and ethnically and culturally diverse populations, and clients with barriers to achieving self-sufficiency. The best thing I loved about my job was helping other find employment.
Pros
Easy going, excellent teaching, provided good information to customers
Cons
Temporary posistions
A some what challenging position, but one that provides many opportunities to gain knowlege and skills
Custodian/custodial maintenance, Assistant Lead (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2018
Working at a community college provides many opportunities to receive an education, gain experience with various tools and machines, and converse with many educated professionals. However, there seems to be a little bit of nepotism that gets in the way of qualified employees advancing.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Too much Administration
Hard to Advance
Senior Enrollment Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2018
PCC is a great place to work if you are upper management. They are paid well and the college seems bent on cramming in as many dean/vp/upper management positions as they can justify despite the fact that our budget is shot and they have been hacking and slashing lower level positions based on the justification that we don't have any money. If you are a classified/ academic professional the prospect for advancement is dreadful. The college creates little to no pathways for advancement or professional development and there is an established cronyism that is nearly impossible to break through. Lower level management positions are nearly unattainable due to job requirements and the ability to gain management experience when you are not a manager is negligible. When I first started working here I was told that if I wanted to advance at PCC I would have to leave and come back, which sounded then and still sounds today, totally and completely ridiculous.
Pros
state employee, benefits
Cons
advancement, work environment, office dynamics, culture
Work Study
COMPUTER LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 1, 2018
Computer Lab at PCC I would help students with any technology questions with computers or printing, I help with navigating the PCC homepage and basic internet questions. Microsoft Office questions as well.
Fun Work Place
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 1, 2018
I love working collaboratively with my Math Department Instructors.
I have learned many teaching ideas by attending Teaching and Learning community classes. I love the flexibility of teaching hours and teaching at various campuses.
Great Environment and amazing customer service
Resource Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 24, 2018
Working for PCC has given me the opportunity to have recent work history on my resume. The program I worked for under PCC is very passionate about our clients/customers and to see them succeed in school/work. Offer's great benefits for permanent employee. Management is involved with the program, but doesn't micro-manage us as employees.
Pros
Great work environment and employees
Cons
budgeting and not having job security with certain programs
Fun place to work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2018
Despite having to go to school, being able to support yourself is the primary reason a student wants to work at college. Although it is not common to have multiple deadlines for projects, having the right support environment makes working at PCC enjoyable. It is so much more than a job, it's passion, energy, and stream of friends whom you never knew existed had you didn't applied. You get to set your own working hours, you can share your ideas and improvise it and help others to understand it, this is more than what I expected when I applied for the position. Being recognized is another perks of working at PCC. I really loved my job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You got to have Stress tolerance
Solid Employment
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2018
I love working at PCC – the beautiful campuses, the atmosphere of higher education, and the sense of working in a worthwhile and rewarding field are all important, contributing factors to the enthusiasm I feel for what I do. My coworkers are capable and talented, and I have a great boss.
Just trying to get past this screen
Technical Director -Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Portland Community College. Some in the department from when I worked there have moved on though so whatever I put here may not be helpful
i was just a student here
Student (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 17, 2018
learned alot but was unable to give the time necessary to complete several of my goals. i didnt want to leave college with such a large amount of debt
Pros
meeting alot of different people
Cons
alot of pressure to suceed
Avoid - toxic
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2018
After 10 years it is now confirmed - Portland Community College seems to reward the lazy, incompetent, and abusive employee. Those who work hard are pushed out. The culture at PCC is toxic. Please avoid.
Pros
summer off
Cons
everything else
Student
Associate of General Studies (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2018
A typical day was going to classes.
I learned about accounting
I did not have managers
Great classroom culture
Getting to class on time
Working with ceramics
Working as Casual Tech Support
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 30, 2018
I was also passed over for a full time job that I was effectively already working (as a Casual/Temp worker) though they trusted my skill and knowledge enough to create training documentation for the team before my position was terminated.
Pros
Education discounts
Cons
Extreme commutes via public transit for some areas.
Excellent!
Mathematics and Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 8, 2018
Very great location and helpful place, they are a great company if you are a teacher or even a student worker. I do not here any complaints or negativity from anyone since I worked there. People are willing to help you progress and the company is great.
Higher Education
Faculty Mentor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 5, 2018
Great place so long as you are not an adjunct instructor. Exceedingly difficult to transition from adjunct to administration. System seems stacked again promotion.
Very difficult to get a job, but once your in the place becomes a team effort
Instructor Support Tech. IV (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 6, 2018
If you enjoy working with different people, than this is what you are looking for. But, it is not a sort of job that one just walks into. It takes a certain perseverance, and long patient understanding. I worked for them for 3 times, but my work needs more stability at this time.
Pros
working with others
Cons
many breaks in the year when you are not working
Fun to work as a Computer Lab assistant at PCC
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2018
I love working at PCC as a Computer Lab assistant, friendly environment. Most of the time my duty is helping students to solve the computer problems or show them how to use the software when they asked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Portland Community College Reviews by Location