Portland Community College Employee Reviews

workplace
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 8, 2019
We have an employee in payroll show up drunk to work and nothing has been done. She is loud and hates the supervisor. She is very insubordinate to her Bosses and needs to be removed.
Well run and organized org.
Healthcare interpreting and cultural awareness (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 8, 2019
I taught a temporary class but my experience was very positive and I had the resources to manage my classes. The management staff was easy to work with and I had good interactions with other instructors.
educational
Student (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 4, 2019
I liked the school because of the diversity in the student population.
The faculty was very good and offered us an opportunity to learn humanity.
Transportation was the hardest part had to ride the bus. Most enjoyable being around the diverse cultures and languages.
Pros
great teachers and students.
Cons
very busy student population
busy, eficient and great working with the multicultures students.
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2019
I am working helping students for log in the PCC website and teaching how to use Microsoft. Also I touch students how to open D2L, and how to use Drop box. We are busy in the first term.
Pros
flexible time work schedule
Cons
salary is not high enough
I love how PCC serves the city/community
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2019
As a part-time faculty member, I have been grateful for the gradual increases in salary, based on hours taught and basic peer reviewing of my teaching. The Union at PCC is something I am indebted to. Though only a part-timer, I am getting better benefits, now that I've crossed the hours-taught threshhold, than I did in a full time position prior to this.

Open, inclusive, conscientious, thoughtful people and working environment.
Work and School balance
Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 14, 2019
It's a good place to work when you are going to school at the same time, and I have a very flexible schedule for students. They understand your priority.
Love this place
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 21, 2019
If given the opportunity to work there again, I would take the opportunity in a heartbeat. Working in distribution, I liked that I was consistently busy. I appreciated collaborating with people across all campuses, because everyone is so humble and amazing. The relationships I built there have lasted a lifetime.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people, everyone was so great. The hardest part of the job was that my personal boss was sexist, but couldn't see it. He called me an "affirmative action hire" when I put in my resignation, among other off color remarks.
Pros
The people, consistent work to do, lots of opportunities to learn new skills
Cons
Upward mobility seemed impossible, Some old attitudes (people shocked by a woman driving a truck, or doing heavy lifting)
Multicultural Center Advocate
OR (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 9, 2019
Coordinated with students about services and events at the Multicultural Center (MC). A typical day would be to complete the daily center tasks, for example, turning on computers, student center services such as books, and you are the staff person on site for questions.
Pros
On campus.
Cons
ON campus during work hours.
Relaxing work environment
Career Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockcreek, ORJanuary 2, 2019
It was an internship job experience which I helped students to plan their career and majors. The work enviroment was very friendly, and we got a few group trainning programm every term.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no healthcare
A lot more work effort focused
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 17, 2018
Every day you would be working on something new. I think it made the experiment a lot more intriguing. Focusing on how things work and what they are used for always caught my interest.
Amazing place to work
Tutor & Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 2, 2018
I love it. truly. Working at a college, being able to guide students on their way to success in school is really rewarding. I couldn't recommend it enough.
Great place to work and learn
Intern, Multimedia Department (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 18, 2018
The environment created at PCC brings a diverse group of students and instructor that enrich the daily work and educational process. This truly brings the community together through exposure and insight to many cultural views and beliefs.
Financial aid
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2018
Worked directly in the gym. In charge of all maintenance and inventory. Checked people in and out of gyms. Assigned lockers. Lock doors at end of day.
Pros
Na
Cons
Temporary position
Lost in politics
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2018
PCC is largely a political organization first, and a learning institution second. It chooses to appear progressive at the expense of reasonableness. Instructor pay is on the lower end of the spectrum. The college places priority on progressive social programs, and their funding, over acceptable salaries for instructors.
fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2018
great place to work an great staff. Alot of oppertunities to move up in the company. They treat you fair an work around your life schedule. The basketball games are fun.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Student Advocate
Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2018
- It fun
- You learn about social justice issues
- Create events
- Meet new people
- Serve the students
- Grow as an individual
- Letters of recommendation
Pros
Cons
temporary
Good for PCC students
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 29, 2018
A good opportunity for students to get work while balancing classes. I would usually have a work partner to take care of longer orders, or to stock/take over for bathroom breaks. My coworkers were very kind and helpful, so there was always a nice environment. Handling orders was probably the most enjoyable part, since you get into a nice flow. The hardest part is if you work the last shift of the day, clean up can be stressful because of how much time we got after closing to get out of there.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Summer Term hours are very slow
I got a goog experience in office work
General Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 29, 2018
The workplace has a good environment, so quiet, friendly, and good management. The workplace culture has always positive attitude that leads to increase productivity.
Pros
Cons
Short Break
Productive and fun place to work.
Vocational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 23, 2018
Working in the Workforce Development division of PCC is very fulfilling as you help the most marginalized population in Portland. I have great pride in the work we do and those we help. It might not be the most glamorous place at Portland Community College, but we truly focus on every person every day.
Pros
The people
Cons
the building, the pay, grant funded positions
Tutoring at PCC offered a relaxed atmosphere where students can engage in many different topics with tutors
Math, Accounting, and Computer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 23, 2018
A typical day at work at the PCC tutoring center involved bouncing around tables where you are the subject matter expert to respond to students with questions denoted by a raised flag. Tutors worked together to solve unusual questions that students struggled with, which laid the foundation for cultivating teamwork. The hardest part about the job was that you are the last line of defense and if you didn't know how to guide a student in their problem-solving, then the student is out of luck, which is not enjoyable for either of us.
Pros
Study/work on other material if not working with a student and no flags are raised
Cons
No growth potential, too relaxed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Portland Community College Reviews by Location