Portland Community College Employee Reviews

Lost in politics
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2018
PCC is largely a political organization first, and a learning institution second. It chooses to appear progressive at the expense of reasonableness. Instructor pay is on the lower end of the spectrum. The college places priority on progressive social programs, and their funding, over acceptable salaries for instructors.
fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2018
great place to work an great staff. Alot of oppertunities to move up in the company. They treat you fair an work around your life schedule. The basketball games are fun.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Student Advocate
Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2018
- It fun
- You learn about social justice issues
- Create events
- Meet new people
- Serve the students
- Grow as an individual
- Letters of recommendation
Pros
Cons
temporary
Good for PCC students
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 29, 2018
A good opportunity for students to get work while balancing classes. I would usually have a work partner to take care of longer orders, or to stock/take over for bathroom breaks. My coworkers were very kind and helpful, so there was always a nice environment. Handling orders was probably the most enjoyable part, since you get into a nice flow. The hardest part is if you work the last shift of the day, clean up can be stressful because of how much time we got after closing to get out of there.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Summer Term hours are very slow
I got a goog experience in office work
General Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 29, 2018
The workplace has a good environment, so quiet, friendly, and good management. The workplace culture has always positive attitude that leads to increase productivity.
Pros
Cons
Short Break
Productive and fun place to work.
Vocational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 23, 2018
Working in the Workforce Development division of PCC is very fulfilling as you help the most marginalized population in Portland. I have great pride in the work we do and those we help. It might not be the most glamorous place at Portland Community College, but we truly focus on every person every day.
Pros
The people
Cons
the building, the pay, grant funded positions
Tutoring at PCC offered a relaxed atmosphere where students can engage in many different topics with tutors
Math, Accounting, and Computer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 23, 2018
A typical day at work at the PCC tutoring center involved bouncing around tables where you are the subject matter expert to respond to students with questions denoted by a raised flag. Tutors worked together to solve unusual questions that students struggled with, which laid the foundation for cultivating teamwork. The hardest part about the job was that you are the last line of defense and if you didn't know how to guide a student in their problem-solving, then the student is out of luck, which is not enjoyable for either of us.
Pros
Study/work on other material if not working with a student and no flags are raised
Cons
No growth potential, too relaxed
Productive and fun working place
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2018
The campus itself is beautiful and a great working environment. The library has a lot of work spaces that suit nearly everyone. Even on the busiest of days I could always find a good spot.
The work can be very challenging and satisfying but not equal to pay.
Program Assistant of TRIO Student Support Services (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 9, 2018
People are wonderful to work with here. They can be very collaborative. In saying that you need to know who your stakeholders are. Compensation is not equal to the work load. Compensation is not near the medium average in most positions unless you are close to the executive management or just underneath them. There is a lot of culture here and people are very aware of social justice. Lots like to behave as though they support tolerance but I see the same people who scream tolerance not tolerating opposing political views.
Pros
People you work with.
Cons
Compensation is low for amount of work.
Loved teaching Seniors!
COMPUTER INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORAugust 9, 2018
I loved introducing seniors to the computer in a community setting - loved the coordinator of that program. Unfortunately, they basically did away with that program, moving it out of Community Education and into Computer Science. It received very little support in that department which was very disorganized. They assigned me 5 classes one term but 4 of them were cancelled due to low enrollment.
Pros
Loved working with Seniors in a community setting and loved the administrator of that program.
Cons
Lack of support and the instability of the computer science department they moved the class into.
STUDENT ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 30, 2018
My work environment was nurturing and relaxing. My boss always made sure that the advocates were included in information and decisions in our work space. She fostered a healthy workspace for not only the employees but the students. The advocates had the ability to attend trainings and events that led to our personal development. Work was a safe space to communicate our needs and feelings.
Great Employer if you are full time
Instructor, Composition & Literature (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 26, 2018
But if you are adjunct, it is extremely competetive, especially in the liberal arts, but I'm guessing all departments. Administration is top heavy, but faculty is unionized, which is wonderful.
Pros
Great colleagues, laid back but professional and hard working people
Cons
Hard to find full-time employment
Great Career Training
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 6, 2018
Working as a graphic designer with ASPCC was a very fun and rewarding job. I loved working with other students as well as employees of the school to create event posters and marketing campaigns.
Good teaching experience but lots of work and little prospect for advancement
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 4, 2018
I am a researcher with a full-time job, and I teach at PCC on an adjunct basis. It has been a great experience but even one class requires a lot of work from home that is not reflected in the pay. Also, it feels hard to get a foot in the door with regard to getting enough classes or a full-time position that would make this line of work sustainable, which is a shame because I really enjoy it! This is not unique to PCC, adjunct instructors everywhere have this problem.
Pros
Hands-off for the most part.
Cons
No healthcare, opportunity is part-time.
An OK place to work
Full Time Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 20, 2018
The management is continually changing without any clear, consistent direction. The nursing program is not very well run and is constantly changing the head of the department
Pros
Some very competent educators work here
Cons
management
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 16, 2018
Flexible schedule. Nice workplace and friendly coworker. Good for student to work and study. The management is good. Provide a good benefit for student.
Dream job minus HR's stingy hiring process
Testing Assistant/Proctor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 14, 2018
Amazing management team. Wonderful place to work. I only wish it could have been permanent. HR makes that difficult with internal hiring, excluding those who are hired as non-classified. But I don't have a grudge with PCC. It's still a great place to work. I'm grateful for my experiences.
Pros
Management, work entailed, benefits if you're classified
Wonderful part time job, teaching Mammography for 4 days/year.
Part Time Mammography Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2018
Great group of professionals to work with. They were very attentive to any of my needs and questions. They were very interested keeping up with the latest trends in radiography. They were concerned that all of their students would have positions available to them when they graduated.
Nice work study job
Facility Monitor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2018
I worked at PCC as a work study student and enjoyed my time there. I was grateful for my supervisors and other students I was able to work with. The culture is fun and not competitive.
Collaborative, easy going, and fun place to work
Resource Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 30, 2018
I love working for Portland Community College and wish my job was permanent. Every one was very welcoming and understanding. It gave my great experience working with at-risk and ethnically and culturally diverse populations, and clients with barriers to achieving self-sufficiency. The best thing I loved about my job was helping other find employment.
Pros
Easy going, excellent teaching, provided good information to customers
Cons
Temporary posistions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight