Portland General Electric Employee Reviews

**Read If You Want to Know The Truth**
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OregonMarch 22, 2019
The PGE callcenter environment was not a healthy place to work. If you are someone who does not think for yourself, and willing to do whatever they ask you to do, then PGE's callcenter is the place for You! The culture is odd. Managers would sit around in weekly meetings, and their time was spent talking about employees instead of real concerns (this was openly admitted by management). Not very Dignifying, or good use of Company dollars and time. It is a "Good Ol' Boys" attitude among managment, and some didnt have to be good at managing to be a manager.. or even intelligent. Management lacks Accountability and Respect when it comes to how employees are treated. Stats were just an excuse to find fault in the employees they wanted to pressure out of the company. Many times I would get a customer who was calling back several times about the same issue, and I would be talked to for actually taking time to Make the Right Thing Happen for the customer. Newer employees were making wages higher than those working there for years. Older employees were pressured out. I watched this happen to people time and time again. Nepotism was very common. Many people (esp. management) seem related or connected to someone else in the Company. The "Guiding Behaviors" were intended for employees to follow, Not Managers to follow in their treatment to employees! (Stated directly from management.) LOTS of double standards. Lots of cherry picking. You really cannot Trust management.. or HR for that matter. The Company encourages a culture that will only benefit the Company's control of things, and HOW  more... it wants to control. PGE does whatever it wants to do. (No 'I' in that "Team Behavior") Do not expect true fairness or ethical practices in this callcenter, or the Company in general. PGE has much to learn still on how to be a truly great company, and how GENUINELY care for their employees.. and that goes for taking care of customers too.  less
Benefits
Cons
Nepotism, unnecessary pressure/interrogation tactics from management, unfair work practices, hostile work environment
Great workplace with benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 15, 2019
The work environment and culture is different than any other company I’ve worked for. The management is supportive and coaches the employees on ways to succeed and grow professionally. At the call center there are many different areas to advance to. There are also benefits such as a gym, showers, a ping pong table, and volleyball net outside.
Pros
Great culture & suportive management
Cons
Heart beat schedule to begin
Great place to work and foster personal growth
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORFebruary 21, 2019
PGE has a fast-paced environment. Everyone is striving to better themselves, and the company is always implementing positive changes. Their guiding behaviors promote a safe and open space for all people.
Pros
Catering, Opportunity for advancement, Fun coworkers
Cons
High call volume, Outage duty
Extremely productive
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 15, 2019
Before I was hired here, I didn't know that DevOps existed at all. I've always loved sysadmin and software engineering, and they threw me right into the perfect team to learn. This was an internship through MECOP, so when PGE picked me, they placed me in a team, but still let me join another team simultaneously. I ended up being in one of the DevOps teams, as well as an infrastructure design team. This gave me the opportunity to learn many new technologies at the same time.

The job wasn't necessarily laid back, but in relationships with co-workers, it's very much a mutual respect. Sometimes, my peers were pulled in too many ways, we tried to help relieve some of their stress, and if that wasn't possible, just don't bug them. We had a headphone rule, if someone was at their desk with headphones on, don't bug them. Email them. They'll get around to it when they can.

Code reviews and passing unit tests are required before merges. Documentation is heavily encouraged and pushed, and usually required.

Parking spaces was not provided, but it's right next to the MAX Line and other TriMet transit options, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me. They have lunch rooms, but they don't provide meals.. This also didn't bother me, because being located in Downtown Portland, there were ~20 places to eat within blocks from work.

Through my 6 months here, I loved it, and honestly, I miss it.
Pros
Downtown Portland
Cons
Parking
A great place to work
Training Lead (Former Employee) –  OregonNovember 11, 2018
It was a great invironment, people are friendly and welling to help, the place really diversed
One in one and all hands meeting really meaningful and keeps you feel belong to the place
They say they care about you when they dont.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 14, 2018
At first I liked the company I thought it was great with great pay. But after training totally different atmosphere. They don’t give raises every year, benefits are expensive as a part time employee you’re paying over $400 just for benefits each paycheck! Even as a part time employee they don’t consider you a “PGE” employee. They treat you like your just someone there to do their job.
Amazing place to work
Substation Maintenance Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, OROctober 10, 2018
People are very relaxed and easy to get along with, management was great and friendly. Projects were challenging and fun. Would love to work there again. A typical day is coming in to work your 8-10 hours, some days I would be out in the field and some days I would spend in the office.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
You have to back into your parking spot
Business intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 24, 2018
Good company to work for. They have a great work life balance and people have worjed here for so long that they can help you with most business stuff.
fun place to work
Mcminnville- Book Delivery Assistant (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORSeptember 13, 2018
Portland General Electric,
packing phone books delivering to residences this job gave me the opportunity to have experience of packaging and I hope this could help me out in the future
Productive place to work with a focus on diversity
Market Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 2, 2018
Working at PGE was a wonderful experience especially because of its various seminars and events to promote diversity and an inclusive work environment.
Pros
Volunteer and Charity events, Informative seminars
Good environment!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  OregonAugust 28, 2018
PGE is a good company to work for. Plenty of advancement opportunities. Benefits are decent. Work life balance is good. Executive Management spends a lot of time with the employees.
Dysfunctional supervisor that misuses power!
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 1, 2018
Dysfunctional supervisor that enjoy having power & don't care about their workers. Work/life balance is completely off - working nights & weekends from home is common, just to keep up. Severely understaffed!
Cons
Abrasive supervisors that misuse their power.
Pge
PeopleSoft FSCM 9.2 Expert & Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 24, 2018
I worked as a contractor at PGE in 2015. Found most of the people there to be fair, pleasant, cooperative, and helpful. There were a few bad apples, but every organization has those. PGE management was very good, helpful, honest, and cared about people.
Pros
Good PGE Management
Cons
A few bad apples - conniving and political.
Great place to work!
CONTROL CENTER SUPPORT ANALYST 3 (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 4, 2018
Awesome coworkers! Great boss! Great company to work for with excellent benefits and pays very well. Very big on safety and employee engagement. Would highly recommend
Good company to work for
Exstream Dialogue Developer (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 9, 2018
As a contractor, I was well accepted into the work environment and felt great fellowship from the full-time employees. The workload was well thought out and planning was done with great professionalism.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Short-term contract
They suck and have a terrible atmosphere
OREGON (Current Employee) –  OREGONMay 9, 2018
Out dated bunch of fat slobs who can't manage there weight let alone a crew of people. I wouldn't recommend to anyone. If you are a boring bland person it's a perfect fit
A typical call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORMay 4, 2018
This is a job for a specific type of personality. If you lean more towards being a creative individual who dislikes intense conversations with both supervisors and customers, you will hate this job.

We were consistently being reviewed and our 45-85 phones calls per day were recorded and graded intensely. You have to have a thick skin to do well here and if you do not, they will find a way to push you out.
Pros
Decent starting salary
Cons
Stress of being evaluated on a constant basis.
poor management from top to bottom
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT V (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 4, 2018
Portland General Electric doesn't put their money where their mouth at. they preach safety and don't do anything to change the real issues. they tell the employees how to be safe in the field and none of the managers have been out in the field
Slow, Slow and slow
Service & Design Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 13, 2018
I attended meetings to plan for other planning meetings. Progress is extremely slow and feedback is forced and stilted. Information Technology is a giant mess and communication is nonexistent though preached constantly. The idea of excellence exists and is strived for but needs a ton of work.
Great place and great people.
Transmission & Distribution Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 11, 2018
I had a great team of engineers who were always willing to help and answer all my questions. The management was very friendly and would listen to what I, an intern, had to say. I would be accepted to join in on their meetings and collaborate on various projects within the planning department. Overall, I really enjoyed working at PGE.
Pros
No clocking in and out, but trust between each other fuels an honest work life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland General Electric. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Portland General Electric Reviews by Location