Portland Public Schools

Portland Public Schools Employee Reviews

N/a
Picking up children to take them to school in the morning. Returning in the afternoon to take children home optional work in between good for parents with younger children.
No accountability
- High management turnover with no accountability
- Mediocrity persist throughout organization

- Politics get in the way of getting things done

- No leadership
Too many ridiculous initiatives.
Reset Your Password
If you have an Indeed account, you'll receive instructions for resetting your password at ndeed works when talented, passionate people come together. Come help Indeed work. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
Don't expect to advance there
While they do have great benefits the pay is lacking, you will rarely get a raise, and management really doesn't care about the employees or kids. I tried for 8 years to make a change but they do not want suggestions for improvement they want complacency.
The elementary schools I have worked in is the work place for some amazing teachers who are always willing to lend a hand and give sound advice. Teachers lounges are common and many usually have coffee available, which is sometimes quite necessary to keep the energy levels required to work with large groups of youngsters.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
The worker / management relationship is not good.
PPS can be an enjoyable place to work, however, there are problems with management. There are people in management that should not be there and they creates an unstable work environment.
fun work, poor management
Supervised children. Poor management. Most coworkers were easy to work with. Management not always willing to help when staff needed it. Enjoyed working with the children and teaching them new things.
Pros
worked with children daily
Cons
poor management
teaching
PPS is a very large disjointed school district where the top wigs often interfered with our day to day teaching.
When we were left alone and relied on our teams and mentors it was great! the community was fantastic! Parents are really involved and built great rapport with the community.
Paraprofessional
On a daily basis as a Paraprofessional educator I generally assist teachers in the classroom, supervise students outside of the classroom, or provide administrative support for teaching. My duties range from filling teaching positions to supplementing regular classroom curriculum with additional enrichment activities for students.Acting as a classroom aides yet with student in need of special education.

At times I work directly with students, in which case I may listen to students practice reading aloud, help students understand and complete their assignments, or assist students with special needs.

I also supervise groups of students who are eating, playing outside, or on field trips.
Pros
School breaks
Cons
children grow up
Very Poor Leadership
Portland Public Schools has been centered on the teachers and their salaries instead of performance. PPS fails to focus on the students and their future education goals.
Pros
The Portland community is full of pro active, intellectual people.
Cons
No Unity. Lots of bickering with no solutions.
Overall Experience
Portland Public schools is in a state of flux so they are not at a place to assist their new employees. They neither provide on-boarding nor continued support and guidance for employees to learn their new positions. At the district level there is a culture of blame and a disrespect for non-administrative employees at school sites.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Districts reputation is poor
School district employment
In government work, it depends on the department and job how much one can enjoy their work. It is impossible to generalize. I found most people to be very team oriented and friendly.
Pros
Paid holidays, easy tempo
Cons
Union controls salary
Great place to learn all functions of HR
In my time at PPS I was able to gain core HR skills and try many HR functions. Management has some adjustments to make it terms of company and employee culture.
Lots of fun with children
My day started greeting the students. Was fun! That all the students are different and they are coming from differents backgrounds. The hard part was when student had no money to buy lunch. Enjoyed giving free cookies and see their smiling to me.
Pros
Helping them, listening.
Cons
Not eveybody was early to eat breakfast.
Challenging
Go there and do your best. Take every opportunity to advance your career with professional development opportunities. The district has done some amazing things, as well as some atrocious things as well that didn’t benefit students and the community. I hope that any damage that has been done in the past will not be the narrative for the future.
Great Internship, wish I could work there oart-time or full
Management was great, interaction at work was great and the tasks we we're set up to do we're great. I loved this job. People we're really great at showing us what we needed to do and we got to visit finished and unfinished school modernization sites, I just really enjoyed this job.
Pros
Great staff, chill supervisor, great and chill associates.
Cons
No free lunches, cafe was closed for the most part.
Nothing surprising for public education
Many decisions are made from the district office and only pay lip service to educator input. The workload is relentless and your building supervisor can make or break a good school.

In my NW Portland school, many parents seem to run the show and teachers only see the principal if there is a complaint or it is time for formal evaluations.

The politics of this public school system and the inequitable pay/workload balance is causing me to look for a career outside of this institution.
Pros
Benefits, altruistic career
Cons
Top-down approach, unrealistic work-life balance model
Pps
Substitute teaching throughout the Portland Public School District was a great experience. I was able to explore the city while investing time in each neighborhood. This offered me a chance to see which school culture was the best fit for me.
Hard working, dedicated professionals
As a substitute teacher I have experienced first hand the workplace culture and the many hard working, dedicated and gifted teacher PPS has throughout the district.
Pps
I enjoyed working for Portland Public schools. The administration was supportive throughout my tenure. I also met wonderful colleagues with whom I remain friends.
para
I enjoy the benefits and the company. However, paraprofessionals are incredibly underpaid. There is a shortage of staff at most schools and 1 on 1s are often forced to cared for multiple students.
Pros
benefits and time off
Cons
no pay for school breaks
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portland Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight