Portland State University Employee Reviews

The faculty care about the students
Visiting Faculty (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 11, 2019
The faculty care about the students.
Generally professional atmosphere.
Due to funding shortages, there tends to be a bit too much scrabbling and in-fighting for resources.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
funding shortages
Psu
Bachelors (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 19, 2019
Portland State University is a fun and lively School. It is located right in the heart of downtown Portland. It is very underrated for business and arts. Great staff and tremendous professors.This was a great experience that was life changing for me. Go Vikings!!!
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Good people to work with
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2019
Great people to work with, nice atmosphere. Extremely difficult to handle if you do not have the same political/religious views as others here. Politics are not to be discussed if you don't agree with the majority, but if you do, you can talk about it all you want. Extreme double standards present here.
It was a nice place to work, yet it was seasonal. We only worked when school was in session.
Retail Sous Chef and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Clark buildingFebruary 11, 2019
A good place to work, however being off for Christmas and new years break, all summer off, June, July and August, puts quite a strain on your income potential.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Young management.
great for full time students
Oregon (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 10, 2019
Flexible hours and able to work around your personal schedule. Great set of student workers to collaborate with for work and class projects.

It was an excellent place to provide computer skill sets to the life of students to increase their skills in the field.
Pros
flexible hours
I enjoy my work at Portland State University
Electrical Engineering Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2019
I've had a great opportunity to learn and accomplish great things at PSU. As tutor, I was able to contribute towards the learning of other students. As a researcher I was able to be self driven and learn new things about the motor I built. As a volunteer for PSAS I was able to learn with people much smarter than me yet still have the opportunity to work in space.

IEEE had great benefits and sent us to training sessions for free as leaders in the community.
This field was required
Graduate Teaching Assistant and Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 31, 2019
This field was required. Working at PSU will vary from department to department. The people I worked with were great. Keep in mind it is a large orginization.
Warm environment that benefits the community
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 28, 2019
I so enjoyed working at PSU. The staff are genuine and contribute positively to the community. If felt good to work for and with the individuals there.
Pros
Location, purpose
Cons
Pace is sometimes slow
fun workplace
Student Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2019
Always have fun with my coworkers. Working at school has given me connections and has helped me network with potential employers for the future and just given me plenty of advise.
Good learning experience
Library Loan Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 14, 2018
I was a student employee, I switched jobs every term. I was grateful for the opportunity to have jobs that put your student obligations first, and for the income to cover living expenses.
Easy job for a student
Labs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 20, 2018
Working a student job for PSU is great because it's one of the only jobs I've ever had where doing homework/watching netflix is explicitly allowed by management.
That being said, since it's a student job, you can only work as long as you are enrolled in classes.
Library job
Inter-Library Loans, Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 13, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the staff and with fellow students. The library staff were excellent managers always willing to work with students and to accommodate them, recognizing that the employees were "students first," and always patient and helpful in training and supervising the students.
Pros
Casual but professional atmosphere
Workload workload workload
Contract and Procurement Services (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR 97201October 11, 2018
Hardest part is the workload and constantly being underwater due to low staffing/skeleton crew
Most enjoyable part of the job the staff
Workplace culture is great. People want to find how to make things happen rather than finding out why something won't work.
Pros
75% discount on in-state tuition (OSU, Uo, SOU etc.)
Cons
one person away from drowning in workload
Lots of opportunities, slow management
Graphic Designer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 29, 2018
I worked as an intern/contract designer for two summers for PSU's Institute on Aging. I like the people I worked with and the location. In terms of my own personal experience, the management and job process was very slow. The way the payroll system works, especially for contract employees, is not very timely or user-friendly.
Pros
Good people, has variety
Cons
Slow, slow management
it is awesome and work with schedule.
Psychology Peer Adviser (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 18, 2018
Don't actually work here but I have an internship and it is awesome. very flexible with your schedule and provide you with resources to make sure you succeed.
Its a great place to work, with great people doing good work.
Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 10, 2018
The boss, team, clients, and partner network are great. You need to be self motivated and driven. At the beginning you receive a lot of training, but in the long run the position as business advisor is autonomous. Time is split between 1:1 business advising, meetings, and teaching. I used my MBA every day.
Pros
Great work, great team, great job.
Cons
A bit too much driving
Teaching all levels of drawing at PSU
Adjunct Professor of Art (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2018
PSU is a great campus with serious Art students. I enjoy their maturity, and dedication to the Arts. Most of my students are Art Majors which dramatically changes the learning environment.
Good times
Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed working for Portland State. Getting paid once a month can be difficult to budget, but unfortunately that is not under PSU's control. I worked for the Vanguard, and loved having a flexible schedule where I could work my own hours, so long as my work was completed on time.
Pros
Work remotely, flexible schedule, loose management
Cons
Paid once monthly, minimum wage
Difficult Work Environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97201August 30, 2018
The parent company is Follett Higher Education Group. Their restrictive policies hamper effective performance. Financial trouble in late 2016 into early 2017 forced many layoffs with little or no compensation. They moved all managers from salaried to hourly and then restricted hours so everyone went to "part time" rather than full time pay.
Pros
Great for student employees & temps
Cons
Not a good place to work if you are considered full time. Rotten benefits, restrictive sick leave and vacation hours.
Fun people, but the school's administration is awful and some managers were unfit.
Primary Computer Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2018
I loved working with my coworkers here. We all had the same struggle as college students just trying to balance hectic school schedules with our equally hectic work schedules. I worked in OIT and it was great, but the managers were often so disorganized and disconnected from us employees that they had no idea what it was like to do our jobs, which led to a bunch of unnecessary changes to our daily roles as IT employees. We often showed our dismay with their changes but they insisted their changes were beneficial to us, even though they added more and more responsibilities and rarely provided raises for those extra responsibilities. However, I still would recommend a job at PSU's OIT because the people you work with are usually really nice and I made several long-lasting friendships there.
Cons
No benefits and rarely offer raises.