Portland State University Employee Reviews

Psu
GRANT PROJECT MANAGER / RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 6, 2018
Good opportunity to learn about research and the inner workings of a psychology department in a university setting - lots of learning occurred and facilitated knowledge going forward.
Work Study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 23, 2018
Great place for being a work study while attending college. Would let you do, school work while on shift, as long as you completed your tasks. Very relaxing and enjoyable.
Working at PSU
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2018
PSU could be a very stimulating place to work. Collaboration with many other departments is necessary and often very pleasant. Being able to attend lectures or classes on your lunch hour is a big plus.
Pros
Lectures on lunches/attending classes
Cons
Pay is not very much
Excellent student job
Publications Specialist (Student Position) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 6, 2018
Flexible hours that worked with my class schedule, excellent managers, engaging and interesting work, opportunity to learn new skills, up to date computers and graphic design programs.
Effective and parsimonious management
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 4, 2018
PSU is a great urban university. It is a very well run, efficient, university. The administration is lean and effective. The course offerings are diverse giving students virtually unlimited possibilities as far as academic trajectory.
Pros
Well Run, great location
Student assisrant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 1, 2018
Portland State University is a good place to work as a student. I can study and work at the same time. My manager understands that I have to study, therefore, I always have a flexible schedule
Great place to be
Portland, Oregon - Group X Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 30, 2018
A typical day at work for me didn't feel like work at all. I shared my passion for yoga to the best of my ability, and was met with great fanfare. I learned a lot about diversity, inclusion, leadership, and more. The staff is very friendly, positive, and supportive. I never found any aspect of my job challenging, I think that it could have been more challenging, to be honest. The most enjoyable part of my job was that it served as a platform for my emerging talent as a yoga instructor.
Pros
diverse assembly of students
Cons
didn't pay enough or offer more hours
A great place to gain experience!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 18, 2018
This is my second career. Opportunities abound for students, interns, and contract employment. FT, permanent employment is very competitive and difficult to achieve if you don't have titled experience.
Pros
Benefits, connections, culture
Cons
parking, competitive to get permanent. Expensive housing
It is okay
Events worker (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 4, 2018
Working at PSU Viking Pavilion events is okay. You have to essentially clean a lot and move tables chairs and carpets. Its not the best job. It is physically heavy, and shifts are first come first serve. I barely get work when events are not going on. Would recommend getting another job as well. Maybe it will be busier in the fall.
nice
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 1, 2018
I am really enjoy living in Portland. The campus of Portland State University is nice. It located in downtown,and therefore, you can find a lot of cultural events, festivals and great food nearby.
busy
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland ORMay 31, 2018
always something to do lots of on campus restaurants and coffee shops, like a small city, beautiful campus, fantastic benefits, very social enviroment.
As a graduate student
Teaching Assistant - Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 28, 2018
It's a decent place to work, but experience is highly dependent on PI; ask professor's current and past students about their life/work balance and possible funding opportunities...don't go to grad school unless you have a clear goal that requires the additional education.
Grad school is cool
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 25, 2018
The TA gig wasn't bad at Portland State University. A typical tay at work entailed arriving at 8:30am, doing a few hours of planning and lab work, then TAing at night once or twice a week.
Fun place to work
Assistant Director of Compliance (Former Employee) –  PSUMay 10, 2018
Great and diverse workforce. A typical day was 8-12 hours and involved multi-tasking, limited managerial support, and copious amounts of coffee, This is a great place for anyone with a desire to learn both what to do and what not to do.
Fun Co-workers, Interesting work
Designer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 9, 2018
it's always interesting coming into work, the work we do for the school is usually creatively interesting and I love working alongside my co-workers, I consider them friends.
Grad School Job
Writing Intensive Course Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2018
This was a job I had while I was in grad school. I was treated well and would encourage anyone who is in a grad program at PSU to attempt to gain similar employment.
Research Assistantships are where it's at
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 27, 2018
If you are a graduate student at PSU, getting a research assistantship is highly recommended. Your tuition is covered, and typically the time requirements of an RA are very flexible. Pay is a stipend, not actually a salary, but it's only a little worse than a school teacher would get.
Couldve been better
transactions in person and doing school events (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2018
This was a great job for me to get my foot in the door and teach mea bout sales experience and how to work a cash register. There were events that I would do all across campus. Some months, pay would be over $500 a month, but others were less. I remember the lowest check that I got form working there was about $40 and that was for a whole month!
Pros
Dicounts
Cons
Low pay
On campus Animation Course
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2018
This was a general course in Animation to help students learn to Model, Light and Texture a scene, and to animate a short piece using Cinema 4D software
Perfect job for students
Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2018
The position allows you to work on schoolwork when you are on clock which keeps the balance between student life and work. I felt there was a poor management provided from managers and sometimes get called upon something that is not fair..