Portrait Innovations Employee Reviews

Upper Management
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 16, 2018
I worked in the Greenwood studio In Indiana. The staff was nice when we had some it was a 12 person studio, But we never could keep staff due to the issues with upper management. They made it stressful. we would have to take nearly 40 appointments each a day during holiday times. so we always got backed up. Upper management allowed times to be booked every five mins. some times twice pure time slot.
Pros
My Manager was the only reason I stayed.
Cons
No brakes, you were expected to work the full 9 to 14 hour shift. with very little stopping
I hated it.
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2018
it paid great so I wish I still had that job sometimes but my manger was mean to me and picked on me about my clothes. they have. very strict dress code so I had to go to the thrift store and get new outfits when starting to the job due to lack of money. at fist she told me I looked nice and the second she found out where my clothes were from she teased me until I cried, out of the probably 10 girls I worked with maybe one was nice to me. I worked in the Kansas City Zona rosa location and that may be why this happened. the girls were all real snobs and when they saw a regular with a coupon come in they would send them straight to me which is why I eventually lost my job. if you can't keep your sales average up your fired and they don't tell you that when your hired. once your fired they have a strict no rehire policy and im not sure why. so basically no job security. also my best friend died when I worked there and they would let me off for the funeral.
Fast Paced
Seller/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Saucon Valley, PANovember 3, 2018
I worked a season position, which was October-December. We were overbooked every weekend. The customers would literally have to stand everywhere because of how behind we got. It was not staffs fault, the company made the online website and made the appointments 10 minutes apart. There were nights I left at 11:30pm, but the management was always very encouraging. They would get food for staff, and even did secret santa.
not a great place to work long term
Photographer/manager on duty, Sales (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOOctober 26, 2018
This is not a great place to work long term. They lied in the interview and said they had full benefits for full time employees and I was hired as such but no benefits were available to me because of my pay rate. It was a scam to get me to quit my other job and work there. Then i worked 80 hours a week for 6 months out of the year. I basically went home to sleep and never saw my family. Not the best place to work if you have a family of your own. Only single people can really work here because of this. Management was hardly at work and there was few employees there with actual photography experience.
Pros
the people i worked with became like family because we worked 80 hours per week
Cons
worked extremely long hours with short or no breaks
Fun place to work with a great group of people
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 18, 2018
Very busy with a wide range of customer types with very different types of requests. Management and coworkers are very helpful and encouraging to help new employees learn new skills and progress until they become proficient in these skills. Each day is a new adventure and working with such a diverse group of people both in the staff as well as the customers creates a fun and enjoyable atmosphere to work and grow in.
Pros
discounts for employees on self/family pictures
Cons
long hours with short breaks
The company does have its good parts and bad parts
Studio Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Deane Hill, TNOctober 14, 2018
Portrait Innovations is good, but can be stressful. I wish the scheduling wasn't so tight. This only makes it harder on both employees and customers..
Pros
You get to hang out with kids all day, the pay is good, you get to know how to do photography, you get to develop your skills and discover what you can do, you learn to talk to people, and the coworkers are really fantastic.
Cons
Putting appointments close together is ridiculous and unfair for customers, you will not have a social life around the holidays, if you don't know how to handle kids, it's going to be super stressful trying to talk to them, you have to literally do EVERYTHING there, the hours tend to be too short if you were hoping for longer hours, but are too long around the holidays, you cannot tell customers certain things like the scheduling, the average sales is strict, so if you get below average then you're out the door.
fun place to work
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 20, 2018
A great place to work with opportunities for advancement within. You are responsible for taking family photos which can sometimes be stressful and then you have to sell the portrait packages to the guest once the session is over.
fun place to work but poorly managed
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 16, 2018
this is a very fun place to work. If you enjoy a fast going job. Photographing families and selling packages was only part of the job. Duties also include a deep clean every night. restocking the printer. ordering more products needed. management was so poor how ever and unfair that it did not make a good lasting job
Great
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 9, 2018
I loved working there. I love photography so it helped improve my craft. I loved meeting new people and little families. I loved my co-workers. I would work there again.
Loved The Job, HATED The Company.
Sales Photographer (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 9, 2018
I've always saw bad reviews before/after applying here. But I thought they were wrong.. I loved the job itself; taking pictures, building relationships with customers, creating special moments, bonds, and interacting and enjoying families. But I absolutely hated the company. The job overall is sales based. You have to maintain a monthly sales average, that typically goes off based on the "regions" overall average. They always run specials, not thinking about the demographics within each location. Corporate world is very grimmey and sneaky. You could work butt off and be very dependable and go the extra mile and follow protocol, but it all comes down to averages.. They don't give you a heads up if they fire you, they cut your hours if your not meeting this goal (even sometimes without acknowledgment). They don't care if they are understaff, they could literally rely on one employee and expect them to be a superhero. I just hated this company!!!

But overall the job itself I did enjoy!
Pros
Pay, Job Itself
Cons
Comapny/Corporate
Decent paycheck
Assistant Manager on Duty/Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Don't be fooled, you won't be advancing your photography skills working here. You're a camera robot expected to follow their shooting protocol and engage in entertainment for the clients.
Pros
Solid work hours, decent pay, weekly paychecks
Cons
Little to no opportunities for advancement, sales driven culture, expected to keep up a quota
Don’t work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 23, 2018
You get hired on, most likely before a major holiday. Told you are not a temp worker, in reality every single person is temp. Only the few people with the top averages, get to stay on..for now. They do not care about their employees, customer service and higher ups are constantly not backing up associates in the studios following their stupid policies, and caving to customers. They’ve closed close to 100 studios in the past year because of bankruptcy, and threaten studios with closure if you have a poor week. Yes they pay insanely well, but at this point it is blood money. They will tell you not to work off the clock, but hours are always tight and you are told to “figure it out” which means Work off the clock.
Pros
You learn a ton, loved all the kids
Cons
busch league photography company
Poor leardership skills on a corp level
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHAugust 22, 2018
Would not recommend. While this company is good for a part time job, far too much is expected from employees with very little compensation. Travel is expected last minute with very little notice. Not a good job for anyone with a family
Pay
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 13, 2018
This job started out contracted, but then I was hired on as part-time and could not advance to full time or other positions. If you're looking for just a pay check for one day out of the week, then this job would best fit you. This job is best for retirees and college students,honestly.
Pros
small consistent pay check
Cons
no advancement
ok
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 9, 2018
the company was ok. you work crazy hours especially during black out and its never a set schedule. I learned how to take great photos though. the hardest part about this job was the work schedule.
The enjoyable part was the fun I had on a rotten schedule. the rush each appointment but the steps thAT THE COMPANY WANT YOU to take takes More TIME than the way the schedule appointments
Pros
1 hr lunch breaks sometimes
Cons
bad health plans, sched
I thought they went bankrupt
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 7, 2018
I worked at Portrait Innovations in the Summer of 2017. My hours were gradually cut back to nothing. I got a letter saying they went bankrupt.

It wasn't a bad place to work at all, I'd say. Relaxed atmosphere, generally.

The only thing I didn't like was being told to shave off my beard.

Then there were no hours available so it felt like waste. Oh well.
Pros
Extremely slow, nice chairs
Cons
Hot lights, had to shave
Busy but Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 5, 2018
I worked here while I was still in school and the staff was very nice and welcoming as well as willing to teach. The job is fast paced and can be stressful but was fun nonetheless. You generally interact with children and families, if you can stay level headed and calm them you'll be fine.
Pros
Nice staff, decent pay, in depth training
Cons
Stress, fast paced
set standards and fast paced on weekends
Asstant Manager/MOD (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 3, 2018
A typical day at work included taking and sellling photos. Customer ser service was extremely important. Your attitude usually swayed the customer to purchase products. Usually I would help to develop associates to understand and perform job duties
Can be a really great job
Sales Associate/Photographer/Manager (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 2, 2018
Overall, I really love the job. I don't like how inconsistent the hours are (they are based on customer volume, so I can understand to a point) and I don't like the work/home life balance. I am also not happy with upper management and the business decisions they were making, such as cutting the staff size in half but expecting the same amount of work done without overtime. I do love the job itself: the customers, the coworkers, the photography, the laid back environment. The pay is also pretty decent for what you actually do.
Pros
the customers, the photography, the environment
Cons
inconsistency, upper management, work/life balance
Great pay, awful company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 26, 2018
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. Holidays are brutal( 80 plus hours a week). The company can fire you for no reason at all. They are not understanding if you need time off. No 401k plan and they will not give references.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portrait Innovations. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight