Portrait Innovations Employee Reviews

not a great place to work long term
Photographer/manager on duty, Sales (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOOctober 26, 2018
This is not a great place to work long term. They lied in the interview and said they had full benefits for full time employees and I was hired as such but no benefits were available to me because of my pay rate. It was a scam to get me to quit my other job and work there. Then i worked 80 hours a week for 6 months out of the year. I basically went home to sleep and never saw my family. Not the best place to work if you have a family of your own. Only single people can really work here because of this. Management was hardly at work and there was few employees there with actual photography experience.
Pros
the people i worked with became like family because we worked 80 hours per week
Cons
worked extremely long hours with short or no breaks
Portrait Innovations
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 7, 2019
I enjoyed the fast-paced environment and working with families. However, Portrait Innovations has NO concept of work/life balance and their benefit system is practically a scam. I worked for eight months as a full-time employee and didn't receive any benefits. No PTO, no insurance, nothing. Most places give them after 90 days.
Studio Manager/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHDecember 28, 2018
Great place to work an move ahead but little he life. There is great pay but high insurance. High turn over due to sales expectations. But if u can sell then raises are amazing.
Productive environment, some fun coworkers, high demands.
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALDecember 1, 2018
I think it would be a better company if they would give their employees more opportunities vs work like a dog and get nothing, no real raise, full time employment, better benefits etc. A few of the coworkers made work fun but outside of that it was ok.
Fun place to work with a great group of people
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 18, 2018
Very busy with a wide range of customer types with very different types of requests. Management and coworkers are very helpful and encouraging to help new employees learn new skills and progress until they become proficient in these skills. Each day is a new adventure and working with such a diverse group of people both in the staff as well as the customers creates a fun and enjoyable atmosphere to work and grow in.
Pros
discounts for employees on self/family pictures
Cons
long hours with short breaks
Decent paycheck
Assistant Manager on Duty/Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Don't be fooled, you won't be advancing your photography skills working here. You're a camera robot expected to follow their shooting protocol and engage in entertainment for the clients.
Pros
Solid work hours, decent pay, weekly paychecks
Cons
Little to no opportunities for advancement, sales driven culture, expected to keep up a quota
Can be a really great job
Sales Associate/Photographer/Manager (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 2, 2018
Overall, I really love the job. I don't like how inconsistent the hours are (they are based on customer volume, so I can understand to a point) and I don't like the work/home life balance. I am also not happy with upper management and the business decisions they were making, such as cutting the staff size in half but expecting the same amount of work done without overtime. I do love the job itself: the customers, the coworkers, the photography, the laid back environment. The pay is also pretty decent for what you actually do.
Pros
the customers, the photography, the environment
Cons
inconsistency, upper management, work/life balance
Cut-throat environment, despite what is said up front
Photography Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2018
This is basically a seasonal job. I would NOT recommend this as a career. There is lots of opportunity for overtime during the holidays. Don't expect job security in the slow, summer hours.
Pros
hands-on job, physically active
Cons
job security, work-life balance, virtually no benefits
Worth the time invested if you are looking for a career
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 4, 2019
Worked there for 12 years. This company gives you what you put in for them. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers but there was no home balance. Overall, it was worth the 12 years I invested with them.
Pros
Pay, Advancement, Co-Workers
Cons
Hours, Unstable job security
Horrible Company with No care towards actual Photography skill
Photographer/Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2018
If you want a job that doesnt care if you've touched a camera or not then this is the job for you! If you actually care about taking beautiful pictures and memories for clients, do not work here! If you give your two weeks they will fire you on the spot. They do not know how to schedule correctly
Pros
Good Pay, benefits
Cons
Photo Specials, Horrible Scheduling, bad staffing, unfair management
Emotionally Taxing with Good Pay
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 7, 2018
The Good:
My favorite part of working here was that I had great co-workers and a cool boss.
I improved my sales skills by working here too.
Some customers were really nice.

The Bad:
As it is a sales job – there is that added pressure.

I did not enjoy being an emotional transference scratching post for certain customers.

I also disagree with how the company as a whole does certain things, but I can't go into more detail since I recall signing forms that said as much upon my hire.

Upon my hire, I said I wouldn't travel for work and then at one point the company tried to demand it of me.
Pros
good pay, nice boss
Cons
nasty customers, not a lot of advancement
Obsolete
PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 15, 2018
The company organization and culture was chaotic without a clear goal. With the advancement of cell phones and photography it's only a matter of time before everything they're doing at this company is completely obsolete unless they make some major changes.
Fast Paced
Seller/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Saucon Valley, PANovember 3, 2018
I worked a season position, which was October-December. We were overbooked every weekend. The customers would literally have to stand everywhere because of how behind we got. It was not staffs fault, the company made the online website and made the appointments 10 minutes apart. There were nights I left at 11:30pm, but the management was always very encouraging. They would get food for staff, and even did secret santa.
Upper Management
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 16, 2018
I worked in the Greenwood studio In Indiana. The staff was nice when we had some it was a 12 person studio, But we never could keep staff due to the issues with upper management. They made it stressful. we would have to take nearly 40 appointments each a day during holiday times. so we always got backed up. Upper management allowed times to be booked every five mins. some times twice pure time slot.
Pros
My Manager was the only reason I stayed.
Cons
No brakes, you were expected to work the full 9 to 14 hour shift. with very little stopping
I hated it.
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2018
it paid great so I wish I still had that job sometimes but my manger was mean to me and picked on me about my clothes. they have. very strict dress code so I had to go to the thrift store and get new outfits when starting to the job due to lack of money. at fist she told me I looked nice and the second she found out where my clothes were from she teased me until I cried, out of the probably 10 girls I worked with maybe one was nice to me. I worked in the Kansas City Zona rosa location and that may be why this happened. the girls were all real snobs and when they saw a regular with a coupon come in they would send them straight to me which is why I eventually lost my job. if you can't keep your sales average up your fired and they don't tell you that when your hired. once your fired they have a strict no rehire policy and im not sure why. so basically no job security. also my best friend died when I worked there and they would let me off for the funeral.
fun place to work
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 20, 2018
A great place to work with opportunities for advancement within. You are responsible for taking family photos which can sometimes be stressful and then you have to sell the portrait packages to the guest once the session is over.
Did not value any employee
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAMay 17, 2018
Standards and requirements were set too far out of our reach. Our quotas were ridiculous for the area. Severely understaffed and irresponsible with hours/scheduling. ignorant of needs of each studio and employee. Did not give raise when promised and gave little to no chance of advancement. Also, breaks were mandatory but not scheduled, so some times during rushes we wouldn't be able to take our break until 11 at night, at which point we just wanted to go home and sleep, but had to stay in the studio for the required hour break. If we didn't take our hour break each day then our hours per week were cut and we were put on probation, causing more stress and load work on manager/coworkers. this would cause a lot of problems with coworkers.
fun place to work but poorly managed
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 16, 2018
this is a very fun place to work. If you enjoy a fast going job. Photographing families and selling packages was only part of the job. Duties also include a deep clean every night. restocking the printer. ordering more products needed. management was so poor how ever and unfair that it did not make a good lasting job
I loved this company... but
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 7, 2018
I had to quit. I was forced into a situation no one was fixing the location I worked at is closed for obvious reasons in my opinion. I can never work for this company again because I quit and it is in their policy. I wish I could work for this company again I know the situation I was in was a odd one and they were between general managers the one that new the situation and did nothing was replaced and the new one had no idea I was being harassed and it got so bad I was in tears at the thought of going to work. I would work for this company again given the opportunity I have moved and there is a different location near by.
Pros
If you love photography and competitive work environment this is for you.
Cons
The management situation I went through was less than positive
Poor leardership skills on a corp level
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHAugust 22, 2018
Would not recommend. While this company is good for a part time job, far too much is expected from employees with very little compensation. Travel is expected last minute with very little notice. Not a good job for anyone with a family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portrait Innovations. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight