Portrait Innovations Employee Reviews

fun place to work but poorly managed
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 16, 2018
this is a very fun place to work. If you enjoy a fast going job. Photographing families and selling packages was only part of the job. Duties also include a deep clean every night. restocking the printer. ordering more products needed. management was so poor how ever and unfair that it did not make a good lasting job
Great
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 9, 2018
I loved working there. I love photography so it helped improve my craft. I loved meeting new people and little families. I loved my co-workers. I would work there again.
Loved The Job, HATED The Company.
Sales Photographer (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 9, 2018
I've always saw bad reviews before/after applying here. But I thought they were wrong.. I loved the job itself; taking pictures, building relationships with customers, creating special moments, bonds, and interacting and enjoying families. But I absolutely hated the company. The job overall is sales based. You have to maintain a monthly sales average, that typically goes off based on the "regions" overall average. They always run specials, not thinking about the demographics within each location. Corporate world is very grimmey and sneaky. You could work butt off and be very dependable and go the extra mile and follow protocol, but it all comes down to averages.. They don't give you a heads up if they fire you, they cut your hours if your not meeting this goal (even sometimes without acknowledgment). They don't care if they are understaff, they could literally rely on one employee and expect them to be a superhero. I just hated this company!!!

But overall the job itself I did enjoy!
Pros
Pay, Job Itself
Cons
Comapny/Corporate
Decent paycheck
Assistant Manager on Duty/Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Don't be fooled, you won't be advancing your photography skills working here. You're a camera robot expected to follow their shooting protocol and engage in entertainment for the clients.
Pros
Solid work hours, decent pay, weekly paychecks
Cons
Little to no opportunities for advancement, sales driven culture, expected to keep up a quota
Don’t work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 23, 2018
You get hired on, most likely before a major holiday. Told you are not a temp worker, in reality every single person is temp. Only the few people with the top averages, get to stay on..for now. They do not care about their employees, customer service and higher ups are constantly not backing up associates in the studios following their stupid policies, and caving to customers. They’ve closed close to 100 studios in the past year because of bankruptcy, and threaten studios with closure if you have a poor week. Yes they pay insanely well, but at this point it is blood money. They will tell you not to work off the clock, but hours are always tight and you are told to “figure it out” which means Work off the clock.
Pros
You learn a ton, loved all the kids
Cons
busch league photography company
Poor leardership skills on a corp level
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHAugust 22, 2018
Would not recommend. While this company is good for a part time job, far too much is expected from employees with very little compensation. Travel is expected last minute with very little notice. Not a good job for anyone with a family
Pay
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 13, 2018
This job started out contracted, but then I was hired on as part-time and could not advance to full time or other positions. If you're looking for just a pay check for one day out of the week, then this job would best fit you. This job is best for retirees and college students,honestly.
Pros
small consistent pay check
Cons
no advancement
ok
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 9, 2018
the company was ok. you work crazy hours especially during black out and its never a set schedule. I learned how to take great photos though. the hardest part about this job was the work schedule.
The enjoyable part was the fun I had on a rotten schedule. the rush each appointment but the steps thAT THE COMPANY WANT YOU to take takes More TIME than the way the schedule appointments
Pros
1 hr lunch breaks sometimes
Cons
bad health plans, sched
I thought they went bankrupt
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 7, 2018
I worked at Portrait Innovations in the Summer of 2017. My hours were gradually cut back to nothing. I got a letter saying they went bankrupt.

It wasn't a bad place to work at all, I'd say. Relaxed atmosphere, generally.

The only thing I didn't like was being told to shave off my beard.

Then there were no hours available so it felt like waste. Oh well.
Pros
Extremely slow, nice chairs
Cons
Hot lights, had to shave
Busy but Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 5, 2018
I worked here while I was still in school and the staff was very nice and welcoming as well as willing to teach. The job is fast paced and can be stressful but was fun nonetheless. You generally interact with children and families, if you can stay level headed and calm them you'll be fine.
Pros
Nice staff, decent pay, in depth training
Cons
Stress, fast paced
set standards and fast paced on weekends
Asstant Manager/MOD (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 3, 2018
A typical day at work included taking and sellling photos. Customer ser service was extremely important. Your attitude usually swayed the customer to purchase products. Usually I would help to develop associates to understand and perform job duties
Can be a really great job
Sales Associate/Photographer/Manager (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 2, 2018
Overall, I really love the job. I don't like how inconsistent the hours are (they are based on customer volume, so I can understand to a point) and I don't like the work/home life balance. I am also not happy with upper management and the business decisions they were making, such as cutting the staff size in half but expecting the same amount of work done without overtime. I do love the job itself: the customers, the coworkers, the photography, the laid back environment. The pay is also pretty decent for what you actually do.
Pros
the customers, the photography, the environment
Cons
inconsistency, upper management, work/life balance
Great pay, awful company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 26, 2018
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. Holidays are brutal( 80 plus hours a week). The company can fire you for no reason at all. They are not understanding if you need time off. No 401k plan and they will not give references.
My review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 26, 2018
This was very fun Job to at. I've learned so much about taking portraits and usage of the camera. I can say that this was an experience I would do again.
productive work place
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 25, 2018
a typical day at portrait innovations consists of laughter and progress. Its a friendly environment and very welcoming to families. Management is professional and understanding
High employee turn over
Manager on Duty (MOD) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 23, 2018
Very high employee turn over rate and work goals that constantly change for the workers. If goals are not met then the company gets rid of you regardless of tenure.
Think twice
Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJuly 18, 2018
No work life balance. Be prepared to get a shake down if you don't come in if your sick, your child is sick, or there is a family emergency. You have vacation days but only 3 months to use them since the rest of the year you are in what they call black out periods.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
to many to count
Horrible Company with No care towards actual Photography skill
Photographer/Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2018
If you want a job that doesnt care if you've touched a camera or not then this is the job for you! If you actually care about taking beautiful pictures and memories for clients, do not work here! If you give your two weeks they will fire you on the spot. They do not know how to schedule correctly
Pros
Good Pay, benefits
Cons
Photo Specials, Horrible Scheduling, bad staffing, unfair management
Very stressful and hustle environment
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Superior, CO 80027July 1, 2018
Very stressful and hustle environment. Mandatory overtime and block out. This company did not provide health benefits but if you are sick and missing your work shift during mandatory overtime you need to provide a note from a doctor and pay for the visit.
Never work here
Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 29, 2018
They do not hire photographers, they hire sales people and if you do not meet your weekly sales goal your job is in danger. Employees cherry pick appointments to get better sales and leave new hires with sessions that will lower their sales average.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Portrait Innovations. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight