Positive Alternatives, Inc Employee Reviews

Very good working enviornment
Past Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIFebruary 11, 2019
I had previously worked for PA in Wood County. It was a great place to work with a friendly staff and management. Scheduling was dealt with the best it could be to accommodate staff. I feel some of these past reviews are out of vengeance of past employee who is no longer there. I have never had an issue except with the evening lead who was very much into gossip and letting the residents get away with many not so ideal things . PA is doing great things for the community, I hope no one with any understanding of the situation takes previous comments to heart. I would eventually like to come back in the summer for employment, Stop the drama.
Pros
Great Staff and Coordinator
Cons
Evening lead drama
Management is the Worst
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIFebruary 5, 2019
The Program Coordinator is absolutely awful. The PC never seemed to fully understand what was going on or really what the Resident Counselor's work is actually like. It was clear multiple times that she was not fully reading client files or the house log. There were many times the PC would ask the Resident Counselors how to do the PC's job (and not in a good-'What can I do better kind of way?") Upper management was clearly aware of the PC's inadequacies and would do nothing to support the Resident Counselors or to truly improve the issues occurring at the Wisconsin Rapids location. At times the PC would put the Resident Counselors into unsafe situations and really lacked any sort of empathy or understanding when things did not go well. The PC plays games with the Resident Counselors essentially pitting them (or Residents) against one another. There is also a Lead Resident Counselor there who never seems to have grown out of the high school mentality and it basically plays into the Program Coordinator's drama.

Honestly, PA could be a great place to work, but upper management in the company should clean house and put better leadership in place. There is such a high turnover, and they have never seemed to be able to get it under control, which meant several Resident Counselors working close to 40 hours weeks, but never seeing benefits (and a lot of them are students who did not desire the hours). In addition to scheduling, the Program Coordinator would pick favorites and schedule those individuals out exactly like they wanted (i.e. an Evening Resident Counselor would work all
  more... day shifts). Don't believe the PC will work with your schedule or give you what you need even if you inform the PC months in advance, the PC won't, she doesn't care. Working with the residents is great experience, and the Motivational Interviewing is great, as well as the clinical calls. I feel like some of the other houses were not as bad as the Wisconsin Rapids location. The Wisconsin Rapids location is a very toxic environment.  less
Pros
The Residents, clinical calls, motivational interviewing
Cons
Worst Management I've ever experienced
Horrible Management
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIJanuary 23, 2019
Most of the time working with the kids was not bad. The management in Wisconsin Rapids was horrible and that made working there miserable. You had no back up from the Program Manager, and what would happen a lot would be the Manager causing drama or picking one person that she would terrorize in many different ways. Until the management changes, I would not recommend anyone work at the Wisconsin rapids location.
Pros
Clients are decent
Cons
Management is horrible
Supportive and Rewarding Work
Associate Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  River Falls, WIMay 29, 2018
PA is an agency that provides structure and services to at-risk youth and provides them tools to live productive lives post discharge. At PA, you will have the opportunity to work 1:1 with a wide range of individuals and their families. It is a rewarding career opportunity and will allow you to help shape the lives of the younger generation.
Rewarding atmosphere and genuine staff.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Menomonie, WIJuly 28, 2017
Positive Alternatives provides services for youth and families in a variety of capacities, all with a common goal of bettering their lives and brightening their futures. The staff are dedicated and work hard to make a positive impact in the community they serve.
Supportive and Rewarding Place to Work
Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 28, 2017
With this job, no two days are the same. Due to clients the Group Home can be a chaotic environment, but with the training all staff is provided manly of the situations can be handled calmly and effectively. As management, we strive to communicate with our staff on a daily basis to ensure they are supported and have the resources to successfully run their shift. This job can be stressful, but with proper self-care techniques is easily manageable.
Pros
Training, Management of Group Homes
Cons
Can be a stressful environment
Great for people looking for experience
Overnight Manager (Former Employee) –  VariedMay 29, 2017
Positive Alternatives, Inc, boasts a long history and good work ethic. The services they provide to at-risk youth are invaluable, even while their work environment is fast-paced and stressful. Putting the youth aside, management at Positive Alternatives, Inc, are willing to take vague emails and notes sent to them at face-value without any real or noticeable followup, outside of speaking with the one mentioned. Peer working culture at Positive Alternatives, Inc, revolves around a niche group system where, if you do not fit into the mold set by your coworkers, you are ostracized. Individuals with working knowledge on systems employed within PA may find themselves unable to speak much of experience or knowledge for fear of sounding demeaning - this is largely due to the previously mentioned peer group culture and unwritten expectations. As with any job, expect coworkers to complain and expect any complaints by you to be reported behind your back. Management are willing to give workers chances and do not purposefully bias themselves, which is a positive.

All of this said, if you are able to chameleon yourself to any working environment and do not mind a fast-paced job where everyday provides the potential for new challenges, Positive Alternatives, Inc is a good place for you. Management are largely willing to speak openly, though working peers at various levels are, contrary to their employment, a bit sensitive and willing to take advantage of the communication system in place at this time.

Caveat: My experience may have been unique and this should by no means be a definitive
  more... description.  less
Pros
Positive environment, good starting pay, some benefits, strong management, clear direction and daily expectations
Cons
Negative environment, poor working culture, concrete unwritten expectations, poor follow-up to complaints
Fun and rewarding
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marathon County, WIMay 4, 2017
I've been with the agency for several years and love the atmosphere, population we serve, and the additional training opportunities that are offered and available for employees to participate in. Management is strong and easy to communicate with especially when it comes to concerns and receiving constructive feedback. Working with the youth each day is different and a learning experience. Getting the chance to develop rapport with the youth is very rewarding no matter what the day has brought.
Pros
teamwork, flexibility, strong management
Cons
some days are stressful
Great Place to Work, while getting your degree.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIApril 13, 2017
Even though they have great encouragement for higher education, there is no room for advancement for anyone with a Masters, as all the upper management it mostly BA or BS. Great for internships or practicums, though.

They offer MI (Motivational Interviewing) training, which is great for the before and the after escalation of a youth, however, they could greatly benefit from combining this training with De-escalation training for crisis with residents, while they're in the midst of their escalation.
Loved it!
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Rapids, WIMarch 9, 2017
Two days are never the same, it keeps you on your toes. Management is awesome, and very organized. My favorite thing about working for PA besides working with the residents was the clinical meetings we would have bi-weekly, where we would talk about certain topics (i.e anxiety, depression, ADHA) in depth and learn more about them.
Pros
Very rewarding
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Very fun place to work and very rewarding.
Lead Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Amery, WIFebruary 14, 2017
I worked at Positive Alternatives for almost 1 year. It was a very interesting place to work. I learned a lot from my experience there!
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
High stress
Hard but rewarding work
Resident Counselor/Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIApril 6, 2016
I loved the work at PA and what it does for troubled teens and adolescence, but it is a very high demand job with low pay (though many opportunities for raise) and burnout is easy. There's a high turnover rate because sometimes residents can be more difficult, making the job more demanding than other times. Management was changing when I was working and all full time staff were burnt out and didn't do their absolute best. I think it was too easy for people to forget that, even though this was a job for us, this is the kids' lives and they already don't get enough, so seeing staff who don't really care really affects them.
Pros
All meals, raises, rewarding work, every day is different, opportunity to go on recreational trips
Cons
Management, pay, turnover, high demand
Great starting job, hard to move up, job security was never a worry
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Menomonie, WIMay 13, 2015
This was my first professional job out of college. Great experience working here, they gave me the professional skills and knowledge needed to succeed in Human Services. Benefits and pay were the only downfall of this job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Positive Alternatives, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Positive Alternatives, Inc Reviews by Location