Post Office USPS

United States1,195 reviews

Found 1,195 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,199 reviews
postcarrierccauspsroutercapostalpse

Stressful

No life/work balance. Denied vacation time constantly. Management wants as many routes as possible with as few people on the payroll as possible. Trucks have no A/C

Either you love it or hate it

They say jump you jump either you love your job or you don't. I personally still love my job but my places don't have enough staff. So you may work a lot of hours or you may not have many.

Post Office USPS insights

Based on 3,056 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

It’s easy if you’re a clerk

I suggest to apply for PSE (temporary) Clerk ONLY. They treat mailhanders worse and make them do more work for less pay than clerks . Clerks gets paid more for doing less, all we do is scan mail and put mail into sacks ( probably the only heavy lifting required for clerks).

Custodian is a way to start a career

Great place to work great place to advance your work skills and background great people and great way to be able to expire new work ethic great place to work

Cons

Management can make or break your day and overall satisfaction of working at usps.

The less people the company has, the more stressful it is to work there. All mail has to be delivered every day. And it is possible to have a good work/home balance with right management and efficient staffing. Currently the shortage of substitute carriers is grand, making it very difficult for the rest of the team to balance life. A lot of times management are their own enemy, creating an environment not everyone enjoys working in, therefore employees move on, creating hardships for the rest of the office.

Pros

Good pay and good health benefits

Cons

Micromanaging, contractual violations, unreasonable expectations

1. Every Day is Different---you get to meet a variety of new people, have exposure to neighborhoods and towns, and get to visit new places.2. Excellent Work-Life Balance---gives you plenty of time to spend with your friends and family.

This job is hirrible

They expect you to work 10 12 or 15 hour days they make you buy your own vehicle and do not give proper compensation for it the pay is good but for the amount they work you it is not nearly enough they do not give a singular care about their employees they let amazon walk all over the delivery drivers and carriers some routes get mail and then 300 or more packages from Amazon daily and nothing is done the routes need to be cut and nothing ever gets done and they have every post office extremely understaffed and refuse to hire for empty positions to save a budget over employees health we do not have a family life and I am not even given proper time off to treat my cancer.

Pros

Cons

Everything about this job is a con

Overworked and unerpaid.

There is no work/home life balance. You are expected to work 6 days a week as an RCA or CCA. This includes Sundays. Forget about requesting days off. Will not happen. Managers and supervisors communicate very poorly among themselves and their employees.

Negative Workplace Culture and Lack of Diversity and Inclusion. The union protects lazy workers over good workers.

The workplace culture is a toxic environment. Serious change in leadership needs to be carried out. It is not a very diverse community. Employees should have a say in operations, especially because most find more efficient ways to complete their tasks however, if brought up, it is stifled. Management does not care about their people. They only care that the mail gets delivered properly to ensure their office receives the highest gain possible. The union, at least the city carrier union, is a big bully. They only protect lazy workers rights and fight those who have high job performance. Its very much like a high school drama when it comes to coworkers, and you really don't get paid a proper wage for all the high stress you are put under on a daily basis. The Post Office described during training is not the one you will experience during day to day work life.

Fast Paced and Physical

If you enjoy working 6 or 7 days a week continuously this job is perfect. The harder you work the less appreciated you. Keep to yourself and avoid all the drama that is involved. Way to many supervisors in one office.

Pros

Time goes by fast

Cons

Very physical, no breaks, to micromanaged

Unorganized

I love delivering the mail, but how they pay is not right!! It’s long hrs and you can’t get a full time position until after a yr!! It’s bad!! The route have set times and if you work 12hrs you only get paid for the allotted time that route. It’s really messed up and I see how they don’t keep people!

This place is the WORST company I have worked for.

You have to keep in maintain your own vehicle you were expected to work every weekend. You do not earn paid time off or 401(k). You do not move into a full-time position until someone retires. You make the same pay as new hires you do not get performance-based raises. You working extreme conditions the whole country is extremely shorthanded so you cannot take time off. Most of the management is psychotic. You are expected to be on-call even though you’re not paid to be on call so don’t think about making plans on your day off. Hands-down the worst place I’ve ever worked. You will make good money though

The Post Office is a great place to work

If you are looking for security, benefits for you and your family then this a good job for you. Expect to work hard and long days, it will pay off. Expect changes constantly. The parcel delivery business is growing and shifting constantly. They offer upper mobility if that’s what you would like.

There is zero work/life balance

There is zero work/life balance, and zero respect shown. Always pay messed up, and paychecks are often filled out incorrectly by management, so employees have to use the union to fight for their earnings.

I did data entry for forwarding service.

Extra work and becomes same every day. All and all, good job. Learned about working with different people (good experience. Culture was fine. Hardest part was all the overtime.Enjoyed working with different people.

Pros

Good pay.

Cons

Alot of work hours

Great work

rural carrier is an easy job once you pick up on the technique but they don’t tell you about not being able to get full benefits when starting and the excessive forced hours.

Its a trap

The pay benefits and everything else do not equal to the b. s. you will deal with from management to equipment and everything else. You're expected to get the job done in an impossible time frame

Pros

Nothing pay sucks now

Cons

The scanners track your every move

Decent pay with plenty of hours available if you can also put up with a negative environment occasionally.

The post office is urgently hiring So the pay is decent…not outstanding, decent. Hours are not scarce so don’t worry about not getting full time hours. Occasional managerial issues due to lack of knowledge about job and workplace drama daily.

Don’t do it

Horrible place to work. No work life balance what so ever. Management uses scar tactics. Also the only place I’ve ever worked where they do not want you to know exactly how you get paid and you have to check every paycheck and fight for pay for the hours that you’ve already worked

Great coworkers. Awful management. Very unprofessional and do not care about your life.

They will work you until your are dead and then ask you to finish your work before your die. They do not follow the rules or contract. They do not care about your safety or the safety of others.

No life outside of the job.

If you are just starting out the job is required 11.5 hours a day. Unless you like to work pretty much 24/7 the job isn't going to be for you. The pay does add up after all the hours you rack up at the end of the two weeks. You may be required to work up to 13 days without a day off, depending on the management. Pay and a half and double pay is a nice benefit. The biggest downside is the fact that you are not able to schedule anything really outside of work. At least where I was at I was not given a weekly schedule and only knew if I worked the next day at the end of my shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Post Office USPS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Post Office USPS with

• Post Office USPS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?