Post and Courier Employee Reviews

Highly professional and accomplished organization
Freelance Photographer (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaAugust 23, 2017
The Post and Courier is a highly professional and accomplished organization. The management is well organized and the workflow is enjoyable and I look forward to all assignments.
Stressful
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 21, 2017
Working as a newspaper carrier is not for everyone. The job is everyday, including weekends and holidays, rain or shine. The job is an overnight job from approximately 3am until you finish throwing all newspapers (usually 1-2 hours). The hours depend on your speed, which is not so bad once you memorize your route. It is a very dangerous job as it is in the middle of the night and you are all alone. Having the job caused me great stress from no sleep, and quite a few car issues from the weight of all of the newspapers. There was a hurricane warning one night, and we were still required to be at the warehouse and ready to deliver our papers. That is putting employees in great danger. My experience with this job was not a great one. I accepted the job as a favor for a friend, and soon realized that it was not for me.
Pros
Short hours with good pay
Cons
Dangerous, sleep deprivation, costly
overall good people good staff
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 22, 2016
Overall good experience with Post and Courier when it was family-owned. Not the same when Corporate takeover. It was more relaxed and friendly when I first was hired. After corporate takeover
Pros
Cons
change of management to corporate
steady days
Paper Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 10, 2016
great place to work- workers are very nice so is management. feeding papers in to machine. do have to stand in one spot most of the day. have to be fast.
Pros
meet different people
Cons
standing in one spot
An easy going work place
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 25, 2016
A typical day at post and courier was very routine. A very low stress environment. Great location in the middle of downtown Charleston.
Neat job with good work environment, great staff
Sports Desk Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 9, 2014
Typical day consisted of taking calls from coaches, parents, and reporters reporting scores of games, from which I would create reports and official scoring documents for the systems computer database.
I learned how how the date entry system worked at this particular newspaper and learned how to record sports scores and information with regards to their to their particular system.
Management was great, my boss, the head Sports Editor was great and very flexible with employees input and opinions.
Co workers were also great. There were a number of people who did the same job as me, so I only had interaction with a hand full of them, but they were all very helpful and supportive.
Hardest part of the job was when the end of the season was approaching and certain nights would be very busy and the phones would seemingly never stop ringing. Still, that made the night go by faster so it wasn't all bad.
Most enjoyable part of my job was getting a behind the scenes look at the ip and coming high school athletes in our area as well as really getting to understand how a newspaper functioned.
Pros
great bosses, great staff
Cons
late nights, busy nights
excellent
Front Desk Admin (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 26, 2014
enjoyed working with friendly workers and customers, management was outstanding
Pros
full of excitement
Trusted source for news & info, valuable products & services.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 7, 2013
Fast paced environment. Numbers driven.
Competitive compensation & benefits for the area.
Advancement opportunities extremely limited.
Upper management is new.
Very little job security.
Company invests in extensive sales & product knowledge training.
Solid products & provision of valuable services.
Co-workers are consummate professionals.
Most enjoyable part of the job is providing public with service and solutions.

Time-Honored and Traditional
Preprint Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 11, 2013
I worked in several capacities during my time at The Post & Courier, advancing and transitioning between several departments. Most recently, I provided logistical support for printing, packing, and distributing our daily printed product. My co-workers in each department were very down-to-Earth people who really helped to build a strong feeling of community.

My only real concerns for the company on an organizational level arose during the sharp downturn in revenues for print media in the middle years of America's recent "Great Recession."
Intern
Photojournalism (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 6, 2012
The job is never boring: different task everyday, drive to different locations, fixing and submitting to the press.
You need to be a team player and enjoy the lovely co-workers.
The hardest part of this job is being in traffic; drive safe.
You can be yourself.
Pros
pay for mileage.
Cons
using your own car.

Want to know more about Post and Courier?

Ask a question
highly skilled and nice associates, needs experienced management and Human Resource department
Credit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 19, 2012
Exciting place to work as far as news goes, however the transition from print to internet news is a challenge for the company, so its an ever changing environment. My typical day was running credit reports for customers trying gain credit to run their ads, receiving payments and posting them, reconciling customer accounts through bill tops and spread sheets, contacting account reps to discuss their accounts for collections or payment information.
Pros
very nice associates
Cons
no advancement as promised in interview
Very friendly staff and met lots of great people
Customer Service & Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 27, 2012
I enjoyed my time here, I learned alot about myself and my goals in life.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
no advancement