Postmates Employee Reviews

Good sometimes
Driver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 20, 2019
It's been decent driving for Postmates. You earn about $4 per delivery and tips. It's not bad when they actually send you deliveries. They had a promotion going on to earn extra money and I hit the first two bonuses, but when it came time for the third one orders completely stopped coming through. From yesterday to today I have not got one order, I have been to all the hotzones in Las Vegas for at least 30 mins or more. Like really? It's pretty obvious what y'all are doing. I have had my online mode on for over 8 hours. Not one order. So I can't really say it's reliable when you guys do stuff like this. Literally any other day I get orders back to back but as soon as the promotion comes I get zero orders. Yeah that's not obvious at all Postmates. And that 17 an hour is a reach it's more like 13ish.
Pros
Free schedule
Cons
They play games
Delivering in the city of Charlotte
Independent Contractor/Food Deliverer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 19, 2019
I love being my own boss. That's the best part about having a job like this. You make as much money as you want to.

I made $103 my first day after my tips within 5 hours of working (which won't show up on your earning until 24 hours after you finish your deliveries). But not everyday is like that. When one app is slow, I switch to another.

I also do DoorDash. The thing about these apps, in my opinion, is that you are going to have hiccups. Whether it's app glitches, slow merchants, or confusions of all kinds, it WILL HAPPEN. Be frustrated, but not discouraged. It happens to the best of us. Postmates doesn't do this, but DoorDash give a survey after every delivery. Do it if you can! It will help other Deliverers in the future.

Communication is KEY. If an order doesn't make sense, the best thing to do is CALL the customer. If you can't find a location and you can't get a hold of support, call the customer. I've done a lot of research on YouTube and follow the people who choose to make the most of this kind of job. It helps! and I recommend it!

My biggest issue with both services, is location. I would prefer not to work uptown because of parking. Either you have to pay for parking or find some spot that's free, which is like looking for a Unicorn with a mermaid sitting on it's back. And also the distances is like, WHAT? sometimes. But there are food deserts in Charlotte (Trust me, I live in a food desert area and it sucks to have to drive so far for good food.), and this IS a part of the reason why people call food delivery. It's job security.

But you do get
  more... paid for the mileage. 61 cents per mile plus the base rate and so on. DoorDash does brake up the areas, so that you can choose where you would like to deliver, which Postmates doesn't and I wish that they would, but I wish that is can be broken up even smaller. I live right outside of uptown, so with DoorDash, my area is clumped together with Noda, Uptown, South End and Myers park.

Like I said, I don't mind the other areas, but I don't want to be Uptown but that is where you will probably my the most money....

But here is a tip, keep track of your mileage for tax time. I've stumbled upon an app called, Self-Employed. It's free and it keeps track of things like mileage, expenses, income and so on. It makes it so easy to do.

So, IF you happen to be Uptown and have to pay for parking, keep you tickets and use and app like that, which allows you to take photos of receipts. You can also link it to your bank account so that the can keep track and all you have to do is confirm.
I'm still learning how to make this work best for my lifestyle. It's a little tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Lunch and dinner, and weekends are the best times to deliver. There are intensives. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I don't worry about it. I just say to myself, "Today, my goal is to make $60 in deliveries before tips are included". Stuff like that. I'm starting small and working my way up.

ADVICE: Set goals!!!! Track mileage/expenses, order a logo mirror hanger with "Postmates" or whatever delivery service that you are using (Found on Amazon), so that you can park in loading zones (with your flashers on) if parking is impossible, be supper friendly to merchants and customers! (you will probably be hitting up the same food spots all of the time, so you will deal with the same people a lot, they can be you hero), CHECK YOUR ORDERS! Napkins, utensils, condiments, mints (if they have any), AND BEVERAGES (if included). And though it may be a bit of a drive, go to the high demand areas. Check out YouTubers for great advice on this subject, and also try more than one food delivery app. When one is slow or sending you up the mountains and around the valley to grandma's place, turn it off after your last delivery and switch!

Oh, and BTW, as a fully self-employed person, I have my health insurance through Stride. Postmates and DoorDash works with them to make healthcare more affordable for the self-employed. They also provide aid with taxes, and other things.
Pros
As most people said, I love working by myself for myself (I'm highly allergic to co-workers and bosses)
Cons
Driving to Grandma's Place and Looking for that Unicorn for Parking Uptown
Flexible work/ Good tips
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I’ve worked for postmates since September 2018. It has its ups and downs, but its an easy job flexible you gotta know your areas and pay attention its not brain science. Point A to Point B.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Wish theres was phone support.
Traveling
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2019
Traveling around your city, and being your own manager is the best part about the job. You also get to meet new people and discover new restaurants that you might not have known of.
Great place to make daily cash
Courier/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2019
Love working for this company in the spring ans summer. Not so good for a full-time job but great as a side husstle. I will continue to work with postmates from time-to-time.
Pros
Hours, flexibility, after hour bonus
Cons
No benefits
Haven't had A chance to work officially
driver (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 16, 2019
Good place to make extra money just drive to and from restaurants and deliver to respected party. Fairly easy to complete just follow gps directions to destinations.
im not working for money, i work for hunger
driver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2019
feel hungry??? postmates!!
get online and start delivery.
you can choose
1) steal some food
2) cancel delivery
3) food damaged
you can choose to consume it!!!
who knows?
Pros
free food, meals
Cons
wasting time on traffic
Boring, no work available
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 15, 2019
you make about 4.25 an hour that if you get lucky. You stay clocked in without pay until you get a delivery. you sit around for hours with no guaranteed pay.
Pros
work when you want.
Cons
about 1-2 deleviers in 8-10 hours.
Postmates Delivery Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 15, 2019
Working for Postmates is pretty much like working for other contract positions with companies like Uber Eats, Door Dash, etc. The companies see contract workers as a revolving door of robots who they can easily replace next week, they do not offer any benefits, and they get away with workplace violations such as not paying a minimum wage because their drivers are all considered "contract" workers. My main gripe with Postmates is that they have too many drivers for the amount of work available, at least in my city (Boston). Basically, you go online in the app and Postmates will offer you deliveries. At times the deliveries can be one after the other, but there are days where I have been parked in my car for hours waiting for the next delivery to come up. It feels like I'm wasting my time, because I will have been sitting in my car for 4 hours and have made $20 from 3 deliveries. It could be great if you are just trying to pick up some spare change to go to the movies, but planning to survive off of this job would be a huge mistake. If you are going to work for Postmates, know that any time you spend waiting for the next delivery, as well as time spent driving TO pick up the food, will NOT count as time worked. Your pay from Postmates is based off the distance between the restaurant or store and the customer's home. This means you might wait for a job for 20 minutes, spend 20 minutes driving to the restaurant to pick up the order, 10 minutes to drop the order at the customer's house, and another 20 minutes to drive back from the suburbs to a central area where more jobs might  more... be available. You just spent an hour and 10 minutes "working," but you only got paid for the 10 minutes you spent driving to the customer. To make it worse, Postmates teases you with incentives like "make 6 deliveries between 5 and 9 pm, and earn $65 guaranteed!" Sounds easy enough, but if you are only offered 3 deliveries during those hours, there is no way for you to achieve the incentive, even if you are willing and able to do the work. At the same time, they are posting ads all over Craigslist and other job boards all day long, inviting people to apply to drive for them, and advertising all of these bonuses that people will never see because they are based on how many deliveries you do. There is also no way to contact support if you have any issues while on a delivery, which can be frustrating. There are only two positives about this gig. First, the flexibility is good for those who need it. Second, Postmates does not keep part of your tips like other companies do (Door Dash, Amazon). You will receive the full tip, which can sometimes be really generous and other times nothing at all. IMO companies like Postmates are not going to survive long term, because they are based on an unsustainable business model.  less
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, feels like you're wasting time
You are your bosd
Postmates Courier (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 15, 2019
I like it. Extra money is always good. I enjoy interacting with people. People love food . So its a smile thats real. Flexable hours. On duty when ever i want. Instant pay option.
Pros
Extra money
Cons
Wear and tear on vehicle, pay per mile/gal is low
No money to be made.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2019
Too many drivers and not enough orders. Support staff impossible to get ahold of. Compensation miscalculated constantly. Plus you're a contracted driver so it's hard on taxes.
Pros
Work whenever you want as long as restaurants are open.
Cons
Not enough money.
Very flexible job
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 13, 2019
It’s a really good job for people who need and want a lot of free time. The working schedule is very flexible and you get paid instantly. It’s also a good job to have when you already have your job and you’re just trying to earn extra money.
Pros
Instant pay-out, easy tasks, flexible schedule, lenient, etc.
Cons
Low pay, no set schedule, waiting for orders, etc.
As good as it gets, once you figure out your area.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 13, 2019
I was skeptical at first, with this being my first being an “on-demand” deliver driver. Now, I have to say, I’m impressed. The first day I went online, I didn’t get a delivery at all. This was also an average Wednesday night. Then I started trying different things. Where I live, there’s a huge array of food joints down the road. Those places are packed on certain days. So, I just happened to have time on those days. Mostly from 10 am to 4. One after the other the orders came flowing in. I kind of noticed that being closer to these restaurants during their high traffic times actually works. I know that I wouldn’t order Wendy’s at 10 am. Or Starbucks at 9pm. It could also depend on the fact that I do a lot of driving when I’m not at work. So I travel across town and back multiple times. Either way, being in the general area of those few restaurants that don’t have delivery, puts a nice supply of expendable cash at arms reach.
Pros
Ease
Cons
Wait time earnings
Easy Side Gig But Low Pay
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2019
I've been doing Post Mates since last August in Phoenix. I would work the dinner rush 5-830, usually did about 4-6 deliveries. Each order pays $4.00 as a base, so i was making about $20-30 a day with tips which isn't bad for a supplement job. Nice thing is you can cash out daily. Never really had any issues except 1 order was completely screwed up and it payed my 90 minute delivery into 7 minutes thanks to their Google Maps bug on the PM app. If you ever have any issues, there is NO ONE to contact. Recently I've noticed from December 30th until today, i haven't been getting any tips, which is odd. I was able to find an email for PM to ask them to look into my account why all of a sudden after 240 deliveries, i'm not getting tips anymore and all they replied was "Tips aren't required". I signed up for Door Dash but they go by zones which can span 3 different cities which didn't sound profitable. I'll try Grub Hub next but I think the market is getting saturated.
Pros
Daily Cash Outs
Cons
Pay Is Low, No Support for issues
Working for Postmates is more postive than negative
Independent Contractor/Food Delivery (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 11, 2019
You can work when you want and receive same day pay with a fee. Available parking and location distances is the harder part. The earning potential varies.
Pros
Same day pay, choose when you want to work, amount of work available, extra bonus when availabe during certain delivery hours, tips
Cons
Gas, distance between pickup/dropoff, difficulties finding dropoff locations at night, finding parking, self-employment tax filings
Worth it
Courier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 10, 2019
If your in shape grab your bike & hig the road, I'd prefer Everyone to use a road bike. Its fast paste so if you want more money you'll make more deliveries. Honestly I make $4 per delivery altogether I'm making about $15/Hour. Way to go postmates
Pros
Worth it all
Cons
Na
Working for yourself!
Independent Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAJanuary 10, 2019
So long as your awake and willing you can work. Just log in and start driving. The app will map the busiest areas around you so head there and pick up some deliveries. Best part about Postmates is that it isn't just food. You can deliver just about any thing.
Pros
Self employment
Cons
I you don't meet the goals the pay is low.
Do not work here
Dtiver (Former Employee) –  DelawareJanuary 9, 2019
I had 2 deliveries in one day.. They paid $4.00 each, which is a disgrace! You don't know what you will make until after you deliver. There is no phone number where you can speak to anyone in the company. Needless to say, I will not waste anymore time making no money and no one else should either!!!
Pros
Work on your on time
Cons
No money, no phone number, no one to speak to about an issue you may have
Pay is very low
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJanuary 9, 2019
I have started working for Postmates a couple of days ago and my experience the pay for delivering is $4.00 Per delivery and it depends if the customer tipped you but regardless you’re wasting a lot of gas and it’s not like the website says that you would be $25 and up it’s basically four dollars every delivery that you make and some of the deliveries are for two and some customers do not even tip so all the work that you have done in the waiting for the food you only would get four dollars I think post meant the company should raise the pay for the delivery drivers
Pros
Flexible, work anytime you want
Cons
Not enough money
Stressful Job
BUYER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 8, 2019
The job wasn't the greatest, but they offer free healthcare. If you are not a fan of customer service DO NOT consider this job. Everything is email-based, and the customers are usually pretty upset due to this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Postmates. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight