Postmates

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment
  • Fair pay for job

Good side gig, bad sole job

This job is okay if you're doing it to supplement a stable job, but do not depend on it for good compensation. As a delivery driver, I spent much of my time sitting or driving aimlessly in the hopes that a potential order would come in. If I did receive an order, I would only get paid $2-$3 for its completion. Ultimately, it wasn't a good time investment for me, and I don't think that one could make the decent earnings without living in a big city.

Pros

Flexible schedule, flexible location, independent

Cons

Bad pay, lots of inactivity

Was okay but now is merged with Uber Eats

Was often hard to get phone support when you were on live orders which made things often difficult. Was nice how easy it was to log on and off without scheduling a whole block. Was nice that you could cash out as often as you like.

Pros

cash out anytime, work when and where you want

Cons

not a lot of support, wears down your car

I set my schedule.

If I'd like to make money I log in if I don't, I simply don't log in. The free time is definitely great also the freedom to work in any city I'm in works.

Pros

I set my schedule

Cons

Low pay per delivery

Very Flexible!

It’s a Very flexible job being you can work whenever you are able to. I am able to balance my school and work due to the flexibility.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Gas gets expensive

Fun

Cool. You get to choose whenever it is you want to work. You can choose to accept jobs whenever they present themselves. There is a balance in work and life if you choose to do so.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Adaptable but at a Cost

The reliance on tips makes this a hit or miss job that depends on customers. The job itself isn't bad since you get to pick when you're working, but there are no benefits and it's honestly only good as a second job to make extra money.

Not enough income, gas is expensive

Works well if you need a small bit of extra income on the side, not recommended as a primary source of income. Some days i spent more on gas than i earned.

Pros

easy

Cons

not enough pay

Lovely gig if you know how to manage because I use a couple of apps at a time

It's a decent concept I understand that they delivered everything just about but the only drawback is that you will not know what you're being paid per gig and depending on the area you are working in sometimes it's not even worth accepting the job. Payment is immediate which is a plus

Pros

Freedom to turn the app on and off and work at will

Cons

Payments per job amounts are not posted you have to take a leap of fait when you accept a deliveryg

Low pay and constant wear and tear on your car

You aren't going to make enough money at this job. Period. At first, you'll get weekly offers to incentivize working. These are almost worth it. But as time goes on they'll become increasingly more difficult. Then nearly impossible, and then you won't get any at all. Doing this job in Austin effectively ruined my car. DO NOT WORK FOR POSTMATES

Pros

Make your own schedule.

Cons

Literally everything else.

I liked working for postmates it worked with my schedule

I liked working for postmates the schedule was what I set it to be. I wish I could still work for them but they switched to the Uber platform and Uber will not let me continue to work for them since they combined the platform none of my background or anything had changed either really sucks.

Pros

Easy to work for and meet nice people and know they get food and supplies they need

Cons

Cant work now due to uber platform.

Flexible

Get to drive around the city on my own time. I like exploring and going for drives so its cool to get paid for it even though the pay is super low and it can be hard to get orders since so many people drive

Doesn't pay you well

Do not do postmate they barely pay you through the miles and you have to solely rely on tips to do good you will work for long hours and you will be under minimum wage most of the time

Pros

You work on your own time and you can get a really high tip

Cons

Does not pay you at all

bought out

they’re bought by uber who just basically dropped the platform. no more postmates. uber eats is cluttered and rarely gives good orders anymore. good luck

Easy job, work as much or little as you want

Super easy job. Walmart pickups pay the most. Tips are good depending on where you deliver, neighborhoods, etc. Work isn't steady unless you live in big cities.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

Not guaranteed tips, work

Make your own schedule..

But there are “hot zones” / “hot areas” / “hot times” aka the food rush hours. If customer doesn’t tip, then you simply are out of luck. Their customer service says “tips are automatically paid out after 24hrs from delivery” ,but that simply wasn’t true at all, according to my account and my pay. It certainly shows a false representation of the amounts of money a hard, efficient worker can make. Mostly due to the getting stiffed part. Also Postmates will hold you back from bonuses by not giving you a delivery ( always the final one needed for said bonus - completely from your own efficiency which is effected by restaurants being slow and/or canceling on you “mysteriously” as you would get your bonus for the extra work.

Pros

Can eat customers food if order is cancelled

Cons

Yea, they take my tips behind my back!

great for extra income

started off fun, driving alot can get tiring after a while. money was good especially the weekends/latenight. got to travel in different areas of LA that i have never been to. overall great experience.

Pros

bonuses, tips

Not enough pay…

You’ll be driving ALOT and you don’t fully get compensated for it. It’s easy work but not enough pay. To make this a full time job to support yourself you’ll need a good car on gas for sure. (like a prius)

Pros

Flexible, Fun

Cons

Not enough pay, gas expenses

Do not get into that

You are going to drive and get off your vehicle all the time and deal with low pay and very few tips. Stay away from them. Average is 3 dollars per trip.

Pros

Cons

Everything you can think of

Easy

Who doesn’t love working for themselves ?! You can literally work whenever you like and takeoff whenever you like … depending on the city you live in dinner time gets pretty busy and you can make upwards of 25$ an hour (nyc) but other times aren’t so busy … tips make up a big portion of your income… love the freedom of working for companies like this

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Traffic

Productive and fun

Is very fun and with surprises, with different goals every day , job learning, discover places, visit cities, knowing people, have fun, serve to others, deliver their food, meals. I really enjoy my days deliver food

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Healthcare

Choose your schedule

Work when you want. Liked them before Uber bought them. Now I can't deliver on the plarform. Pretty messed up that they made everyone reapply. So many people are struggling. Idk about management but support was ok

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Uber eats

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Postmates. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Postmates.
Powered byComparably

Compare Postmates with

Career recommendations for Delivery Driver

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Postmates