Potbelly Sandwich Shop Employee Reviews

sandwhich shop
Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C., USDecember 4, 2018
My typical day working at Potbelly would consist of sanwhich making and keeping the environment clean. Working at Potbelly i learned more about working with a team and leadership. I personally felt that the management for Potbelly is poor. They say that our requested days off were only GUARANTEED, we cant call out unless someone else is covering our shift (what if there's an emergency), after working 9 hour shifts we can only eat if we are paying 50% off for our meal. The list goes on and on, but i stuck in there with them until i found other employment.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
short breaks, no free meal
Don't do it to yourself.
ASSISTANT MANAGER/ CATERING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 22, 2018
I can't say enough negative things about Potbelly. I would actually be here all day. Ask anyone that works for the company. They work you into the ground. All locations are extremely understaffed due to a spike in shop openings recently which is only the start of it. I actually do not have the energy to write the review this company deserves. My hand and face is twitching just writing this.
Pros
Discounted lunches.
Cons
Be prepared to be married to this company.
The promise of advancement is just a carrot on a stick
Shift Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2018
I am confident upper management doesn’t live the potbelly values. They speak about improving everyday, but will tell you what you want to hear to keep you on staff while nickel and dimeing your pay raises and expecting more out of you than you’re paid to do. Promises a 45-day promotion course to move up, but will halt your advancement due to DM backfill negligence. Upper management is more concerned about getting a bonus than ensuring their employees are happy.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
If you give an inch, they’ll take a mile and drop you off in the middle of nowhere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201September 25, 2018
Working at Potbelly was my first real job experience that wasn't a summer internship. I liked the people I worked with but I felt management was loosely following the mission of the job. Management shows favoritism sometimes and within the small shop, there is a lot of drama and gossip. Management sometimes knew that some workers showed poor customer service but they didn't fire them for giving our customers less-than-standard customer service. Also, I feel all the works, not just the managers, should get free meals. The prices of the sandwiches are too costly for Potbelly not to be able to afford free meals for the employees that work extremely hard.
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, no raises
Fun place to work.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2018
Based off what I witness daily, None of upper managent (GM, DM, Marketing Manager and anyone above them) doesn't demonstrate any Potbelly Values. All of the dedicated hard working employees are overlooked while dishonest slacking employees get raises and promotions. I've seen employees disrespect Shift Leaders and GM only to get a raise afterwards and more hours.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
advancement
Good work atmosphere
Backline Coordinator/ Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOSeptember 26, 2018
Working at Potbelly gave me continued experience with a slow-paced as well as fast-paced work atmosphere. Lunch/Dinner rushes can be stressful but having a good team makes the time fly. Your shift team becomes a second family. It's a place where, occasionally, management lets you be creative. I was give the opportunity to design signs and marketing for the store.
Pros
Awesome food
Horrible work environment
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 26, 2018
I say "Horrible work environment" for the simple fact is the manager is the employees best friend, he would let you do whatever and eat whatever you wanted at anytime of the shift, don't get me wrong that is pretty cool but I'm trying to find a job where I can move up and possibly run a store some day and with a manager like that it won't happen because he allows you to have the restaurant dirty, allows you to be lazy, and that's not the type of worker I want to be.
Pros
Free lunch up to $12
Cons
Managers always had attitudes
Stressful, over worked and under paid.
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2018
This place was always busy from sun up to sun down but yet always under staffed. Their biggest motivation was to make more money and make the customers happy but how could you do that if the employees and managers are suffering. There is too many rules and not enough structure. Its like pulling teeth trying to suggest anything because they already have plans on making your life miserable with a smile on their face. I left this job everyday with an headache from either the rude customers or the not so manged managers. Cool place to work at if your young of age an hardly no responsibilities.
Pros
Meeting new people daily
Cons
Short to no breaks, understaffed and not properly managed.
Reviews every 6 months with high performance calificatuons but just 25 cents rise obtened
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2018
They need better wages for the hard workers. Not 26 cents raises......good company excellent benefits,good job culture. Thanks PB for those 15 years working for you !!!!!!!
Pros
1/2 off luch
Cons
Not good raises despite your very good performance and effort to do your job every day
energetic and friendly work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILOctober 17, 2018
every day that i came into work i was greeted with happy smiles and good energy.
the music at the shop is great.
my favorite part of the job was packaging the fresh cookies, and making the shakes and smoothies.
the hardest part of the job for me was putting away the food into the cooler, which has a heavy door.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
low starting pay
Excellent learning experience but really terrible management
Shift Leader/MIC (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 18, 2018
Although I did learn a massive amount of management techniques, how to manage well, and how to work under extremely difficult circumstances, I found that management was unhelpful and overall did not treat employees well. This company chooses low labor over adequate staffing and disregards employee needs and rights
Pros
credit of $7.35 on manager meals
Cons
No support for crew, bad training system, and extremely understaffed
Pretty good
Associate (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNAugust 18, 2018
It was a pretty good place to work, pretty relaxed and nice environment with decent pay. Depends on what store you're in though, the store I was in didn't get many customers, so we weren't paid that much and didn't have much room for advancement. It also meant that sometimes you couldn't take off time even if you really needed to because there just weren't enough people to fill the shifts, but overall it was a good place to work.
Pros
Half off on food, flexible schedule for associates
Fast paced and positive environment
Certifed Trainer And Backline Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INAugust 15, 2018
My review is that Potbelly is a positive company. I have learned a lot of leadership skills. I have had the experience of interacting with customers and learning the Potbelly Values. I am a Certified Trainer and have done catering. I have trained over 5 employees. I have traveled to the store location in Laffeyette Indiana to help the store develop into a positive profitable environment . Overall this company is great and I have learned many traits and positive skills to develop my character.
Pros
Positive environment, Flexible, Understanding
Cons
No free lunches, Understaffed, Fast pace
good place to work, can make great friends
Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850November 23, 2018
I have been with them for a long time, and I enjoy it, it is a very easy job may seem a bit repetitive, but it can be fun at times, if you have good management, then it should be fine. I really like the people that I work with they make it all worth it.
Pros
friends you can make, payed breaks
Cons
can be tiring when it gets really busy
Review
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2018
A overall idea and culture with tons of potential, but hard workers who were dedicated always got walked over. Promises of promotions were always held over peoples head. Best part were the customers, it would always be upsetting to see tons of responsibility thrown on only a person or two rather than spread out.
Pros
Hours, customers.
Cons
Upper Management
Great teamwork and environment with opportunities to grow
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIAugust 1, 2018
Potbelly is a good first job for those in high school or in their early years of college. Most stores will promote managers from within which gives an opportunity for those pursuing a career in management a chance to get introduced to the expectations of management. Potbelly usually hires people who are enthusiastic about work and teamwork culture. Potbelly doesn't discriminate against personal expression, you are likely to interact and work with all walks of life.
I can't offer insight
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 8, 2018
The owner is great but I had a unique circumstance. My direct superior was incompetent and made my life extremely unpleasant. (I was hired by his predecessor who passed unexpectedly. Shortly after I resigned he was forced out. From what I know of the owner and the Potbelly culture that it is a good job.
Pros
Good owner, well thought out operating procedures
Used to be better
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 30, 2018
Things were better before when they cared more about the people who work for them. Now it’s always understaffed, and still not hitting outrageous labor demands. Working 6+days a week/60+hours/open to close shifts on a regular basis while being told to do more.
Pros
There’s a few really good people
Cons
Way, way overworked
I would work there again.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILNovember 5, 2018
Potbelly is one of the most fast-paced jobs that i have ever worked at. As a regular associate, it is your job to know how to build and top sandwiches and how to make everything on the menu, and even some off of the secret menus as well. Sanitation of your workstation is also required along with the closer's job of doing the dishes and cleaning the whole shop. It took awhile getting used to but, it ended up being friendly and competitive. The lines always went out of the door, and the guarantee was to get through everybody's order in under a minute through the whole line. Some of the co-workers were amazing and unforgettable but some of the new co-workers employed had no work ethic and did not listen to instruction. All-in-all a nice place to start out, and even better to help with your view on customer service.
Pros
half-off of your bill for lunch, meeting for new promotions
Cons
dish washing/sanitation methods
Utter Chaos
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MIJuly 26, 2018
Worked in Bloomfield Hills. General Manager was incompetent and hid the fact that his lazy, arrogant stepson worked there. Employees are allowed to openly defy and disrespect Shift Leads and spend more time on their cellphone than working. No call, no show is not punished in any way. Food safety is optional, food safety paperwork gets falsified on a daily basis.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no structure, poor management, lack of effective training, no accountability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight