Potomac Family Dining Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
No promotion potential
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 20, 2018
They are understaffed, dysfunctional, underpaid. Assist managers unqualified. Applicants never work in position they applied for. They should hire dishwasher and bussers.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too many duties for less money
Overall family friendly and nice to their workers
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJune 8, 2018
Overall family friendly and nice to their workers. Very respectful to customers and all involved with the dining experience. The hours are very flexible.
Pros
Discount
Cons
N/a
family oriented/good overall work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 6, 2018
With my 3 years experience with the company, i met so many wonderful employees/managers at potomac dining, very friendly staff, very cleans store with great service and great prices.
Pros
50% off meal plan
Cons
lack of advancement
Great guests, awful management
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAOctober 29, 2017
I don’t suggest this job, the work isn’t worth the compensation. The corporate managers lie and create their own rules. Local managers or manager I should say since this location only has 1 plays favorites and if you aren’t a favorite you’re on the chopping block. They fire people for ridiculous reasons but keep thieves employed. The company used to be great but they’re going downhill in a big way. The restaurant is cliquey and stressful. I don’t suggest this job to my worst enemy.
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Management, coworkers, pay
Not a bad place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Shawboro, NCSeptember 9, 2017
Even though I said not bad place to work be prepared for alot of unnecessary drama an the CEO is a complete terrible person who cares nothing about employees just his money
not a good place to work
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 3, 2017
Talk that tihs now the gm sucks all the staff is cool tho under management and they do not care about there staff. I would not advise anyone to work there or even waste your time please be advised you will not enjoy working for this company
Pros
na
Cons
anything you can think of all aound terrible
Great for interim job.
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Forestville, MDFebruary 7, 2017
I was not suited for this company. Contrasted with my morals, principles, views on life. I rarely had time to spend with my child, or continue my community involvement.
Pros
Take cash home daily
Cons
No breaks, Low Morale
Great company
Key Hourly Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 29, 2016
I enjoyed working for Applebee's. I left to pursue a career with better hours for my family life. Very fast paced environment. Great co workers.
Flexible work schedule and friendly environment
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAOctober 15, 2015
I was initially hired by Potomac Family Dining Group while attending college. The management was always considerate and flexible concerning my schedule, allowing me flexibility during critical times as a student, such as exam week. After my college years, they also allowed me to pick up extra hours whenever need be, while providing a genuinely fun and exciting work place atmosphere. This is a must due to the high-stress, fast-paced setting that is serving/bar-tending itself.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Unsteady income
A fast-paced, social, and fun enviroment to work in!
Host (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 10, 2015
A typical day at work consists of greeting guests, seating guests, and providing a heart-warming welcome to everyone. I've learned to work in a team with my co-workers, and create relationships with them. Everyone is so supportive and nice. So far its awesome working at Applebee's! Just wish I was paid better for all my hard work.
Pros
50% employee meals
Cons
No breaks
New ownership and mgmt at all levels uplifting the culture daily! LOVE IT HERE!!!
Outside contractor, part time hr support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, vaApril 24, 2015
I started just a few months ago, and while the new owners of these 69 locations, and the updated multi-unit mgmt staff including regionals and district managers, have already made such dramatic changes throughout the company, they continue to remain team-oriented, open-minded, and devoted to delivering a quality work environment just as much as quality food and service! I love the atmosphere of family here. Teamwork exists bottom-to-top, and superstars exist at every level, and there is no limit upon any person's ability to excel. PFDG took this brand and company from overlooked to the Best Secret Favorite Rebound Challenge, and any employee here can tell you we rock. If you work here and are part of our team you know what I mean. If you haven't experienced Applebee's in a while, ur in for an amazing surprise! Working here isn't just a job, at least for me. It's about contributing to a team that listens and cares and grows and excels and supports each other the entire way. And I really do mean from the CEO to the dishwasher. Lots of places can say that, but not too many people actually live it. We do.
Pros
Open minded mgmt, ability to develop career, thorough training, great pay, team-based staff
Cons
Previously frustrated staff and customers hesitant to return soon, prior owners damaged reputation, wish to be seen for our current triumphs
Cliquey, Political, and Zero Job Security
Service and Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 3, 2013
I've been a restaurant manager for about a decade, and working for Potomac Family Dining Group was one of the worst experiences of my life. I worked twelve to fourteen hour days, five days a week, and was constantly in fear of losing my job (as were my co-managers as well as managers from other stores). The upper level district management simply does not conduct themselves in a professional, fair, humane manner. They care not about their employees- their only concern is their numbers. They set unreasonably high expectations, and then humiliate you for not meeting them. These are just a few of the many reasons that Applebee's (and this franchise in particular) has one of the highest management turnover rates in the business.
Pros
Reasonable salary, health benefits, short-term disability, free meals on shift
Cons
No breaks, overwhelming work load, physically demanding, emotionally draining, very little hope of advancement
Official response from Potomac Family Dining Group
April 25, 2015

THE UPPER MGMT HERE IS NOT THE SAME AS IT WAS IN 2013, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE ON THIS OUTDATED REVIEW, ONE THAT THE NEW LEADERS HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO TURN AROUND (AND SUCCEEDED!) FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS. hopefully, those past operators are long since retired from the restaurant industry as a whole, for the benefit of all of us working in the hospitality industry. THIS IS A WHOLE NEW COMPANY, AND WORTHY OF PRAISE FOR THE AMAZINGLY POSITIVE AND FAMILY-ORIENTED TEAM ENVIRONMENT THEY HAVE CREATED FOR ALL OF US WHO WORK HERE EVERY DAY!I I am a new employee with PFDG, started about 2 months ago, being feb-march of 2015, in the Central VA region, and my experience of every single other employee with this company, from the CEO, COO, and multi-unit managers right down to the servers and other hourly employees, is COMPLETELY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE PAST REVIEWER EXPERIENCED. THIS IS HANDS DOWN THE MOST FRIENDLY, OPEN-MINDED, TEAM-WORK ORIENTED, EVERYONE-IS-IMPORTANT, HONEST (about the good, the bad, and the flat out unbelievably difficult facets of restaurant work in general and at our company when specifically relevant), SINCERE, KIND, PERSONALLY CONCERNED GROUP OF BUSINESS PEOPLE I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH. and i have been working restaurant growth and human resources and staffing and quality of life/keeper of the culture "ADVOCATE AND PROTECTOR" for over 20 years now. i have worked for coffee bar chains, in swanky locales in all the country's largest metro cities, to quick serve deli environments, to full service, privately-owned, upscale hotspots with a big bar business and in a wait  more... for seating at every peak meal period until the kitchen closes... Each with their own reason why restaurant managers should be overworked and underpaid, do what their told, "don't suggest anything about anything ever" operators who thought they knew it all. Those are now out of business. here is the polar opposite: NEVER have i been more warmly welcomed aboard for what i could contribute to an operation, listened to so sincerely, had my opinion valued, or felt so much part of a united team-family as quickly as literally my first day here. Thanks for making me feel so welcome and appreciated every day i come to do what i love to do. You know who you people are that i'm talking about, and you know who i am, and thanks for being all the great people you are!  less

Great, tough company to work for.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAFebruary 15, 2013
This company has very high expectations, so you must have a very strong work ethic to become successful. They have great values, and a good leadership team. The hardest part of the job, like with any restaurant, is the varying hours and managing upset guests or employees. The best part is getting to meet new people constantly, and the overall environment is fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Potomac Family Dining Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Potomac Family Dining Group Reviews by Job Title