PPD Employee Reviews

Lots of promises, poor execution
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
Listen, I know no job is perfect but the amount of promises that were being made to me about my salary is ridiculous. I wish I would've seen this earlier. I made less money than anyone I trained. The promise of new job positions being opened for seasoned workers was never been brought up again. I was verbally abused by workers in other departments and by the subjects every week. I can cry out for help but it just kept happening. How is that helping me? What's going to change? If motions to change were happening, I couldn't see them. I was left in the dark fighting my own battles.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of hours and chances for raises
Nice place to work
Biostatistician (Current Employee) –  Work from homeMay 18, 2018
Nice place to work. Colleagues are professionals and work together toward common goal. Life-work balance is good. Need extra care for yourself since stress level can be high at times.
Working at PPD
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 15, 2018
Hardest part of the job is due to little to no training in place at hire. I did learn how to write from protocol to specification. Workplace culture is every man for himself. Management is out of touch with workers and implement changes without proper rollout plans. Little formality, and numerous changes in process.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No training and workload
A carrot on a stick
Associate Lead Quality Investigator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 10, 2018
Management will fill your head with the prospects of advancement so you work harder and then come up with excuses to not advance you.
Lots of work for little pay.
Disorganized management that operates on a buddy system.
Dog eat dog and every man for himself after initial onboarding training. They will throw you into work with no training and do not offer solutions when you ask for help.
Entry level associates are blamed for big problems outside of their control. Instead of solving issues they play the blame game.
Demoralizing culture.
Pros
Cons
Little pay for lots of work
Average CRO
SR IGC MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2018
PPD pay usually is lower than many of their competitors. They currently give very poor raises to support personnel. That said, there are some very good opportunities to learn and become better at what you do or get other opportunities that may further your career.
Pros
Working remotely is very possible
Cons
Poor performance raises
OK Place to work. No work life balance. No room for career advancement
Medical Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 9, 2018
OK Place to work. No work life balance. No room for career advancement. A lot of Nepatisim and bulling to get you believe their ways and view points. A lot of retaliation
Pros
Job Security
Cons
o work life balance. No room for career advancement
It's a job
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAMay 8, 2018
PPD is probably one of the best contractors in the greater Philly area in the pharma industry. I could have a worse job, but the management leaves a lot to be desired. They have some difficulty managing their contracts as well.
Ok; Good starter job
Scientist, IHC (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 7, 2018
Good starter job. Routine unless you choose to make something of it. Management is not proactive, but plenty of room to make changes if you're motivated!
Lack of incentive
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 24, 2018
I throughly enjoy working at PPD. I love our mission, my coworkers, the environment, unfortunately, there is a lack of advancement or incentive to do well.
Low compensation compared to other companies
Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIApril 18, 2018
Most people use PPD as a stepping stone post college. You can get trained on a lot of techniques. The manager you get and the building you get placed in will make all the difference. Some managers are strict, some relaxed. Some make you run the same tests over and over, some train you on everything. Some groups have heavy workloads, some light sometimes. Raises and promotions are based on timelines NOT merit. This is a huge corporation, your opinions won't matter. High turnover rate because of compensation. The people that work there are great! Work life balance is awesome. If you need to you can work from home once and a while. Some days you need to work overtime to finish work. Overtime is mostly optional and not limited if manager allows.
Pros
Flexibility, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Low compensation, Promotions
PPD can be cut throat
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 15, 2018
I have worked for PPD on 2 seperate occasions. I was in Finance for several years, then transfered out and came back to another department, which is very common...to leave Finance for another dept. Finance was challenging, with bullys in management, a total lack of professional respect or courtesy from many, management favors rude and confrontational people for management positions as well as dept gossips being promoted to management. The culture was simply all wrong. While work load played a significant role in overall departmental stress, the culture of the department as detailed above ultimately maintains an unhealthy environment from which excessive work load simply overwhelms the best of analysts. I have been out of that group for years now, things seem to have improved but overall that dept is unplesant and cut throat, even in the view of others once favored by management.
I have returned to another department to find better management, but challenges in this role are reporting to 2 managers. One of these managers seems to be holding me back, willfully refusing to give the information needed to perform my duties. So, I am regularly forced to go up the chain to get what I need, and the manager that refused acts as if they didn't understand the request, every time.
Pros
Paid time off, job security, some managers are outstanding
Cons
Good Managers are not standard, Lack of back up to take time off
Too Many Hours
Senior Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2018
Too many hours, not enough advancement. High stress working environment. Management needs to be replaced. Not enough horses in the world to drag me back here.
Not always open communication
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 9, 2018
Communication from management down is not always transparent. Lower level employees are sometimes sheltered from the details of what decisions are being made.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Communication
Productive workplace
Sample Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAApril 9, 2018
My job was temporary so it is difficult to compare with long term full time employees. Though my time there was easy going, productive, friendly and beneficial in many ways, including networking. I have no complaints about my limited time with PPD.
No Doubt a Great Place to Work
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 27, 2018
A typical day at work involves SAS programming and/or meetings. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement and if you put in the work, management will encourage you to take project lead roles. If you take this route, you will spend less time programming and more time on the project management side of things. The environment is extremely friendly and supportive. Everyone is happy to help and if you have the motivation and good intentions, it will be impossible for you to fail. Learning opportunities are everywhere and if you take initiative, you will be rewarded.
Pros
Supportive work environment, great compensation, many opportunities for learning and mobility
Cons
Occasional overtime is required
Average
Director of Project Management - PMO (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 22, 2018
The people are very nice and helpful. There are opportunities for improving advancement into management and diversifying the labor base as the company grows.
Good Place To Start
Safety Admin - Pharmacovigilance (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 21, 2018
Not a bad place to start in the Clinical Research arena. Get in, learn what you can and then find another place to advance your career. Some good people to work with.
Loved the work but not the job
Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 19, 2018
Great people and collaboration. Coworkers are supportive and appreciative. The work can be challenging and rewarding.

The management and mission were lacking. Goals and expectations were not well defined or standardized.
Simultaneous management of 3 complex clinical trials
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 19, 2018
I managed 3 ongoing clinical trials in HIV research and development and spent my days communicating with the clients, addressing emails, preparing for weekly client conference calls, maintaining close communication with internal Team Members, and reviewing the budget situation to maintain profitability.
We were constantly reviewing new SOP versions and maintaining required courses that were relevant to my job.
Culture was stressful but backed by great Team Members who shared the responsibility to complete the project on time and on budget.
Pros
Management backing
Cons
Daily stress of managing 3 complex projects
Management was poor
Medical Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 14, 2018
Management at this place treats their employees like children. Lack of effective communication skills and poor responsiveness to employees needs. Very Micromanaged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPD. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.