PPD Employee Reviews

A very decent company
Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  work from homeSeptember 20, 2018
good work culture, friendly colleagues, hold regular get together social and professional meetings for work from home staffs. good training programs and lots of learning and training opportunities for career advancement
Good Company
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 17, 2018
Highly rated for the Wilmington area. Great experience with a major corporation for UNCW graduates. Work/Life balance depends on the department. Good at motivating employees.
Easy Job, a bit of drama
Research Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 14, 2018
The managers don't seem to get along, but the lab techs have a nice friendly culture.
Its a nice job for a college student because the hours are so flexible, but if you're not full time, you're per diem, and the work isn't always completely steady.
Once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty easy job to do, and you get a lot of down time.
Pros
Flexible hours, Lots of downtime = long breaks
Cons
Got a little bit of workplace drama
I am sorry I went to PPD!
Principal Clinilcal Data Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 14, 2018
My manager and I did not see eye to eye on anything. I was very honest when i interviewed with the company, but once they got me, the expectations were changed. This is a 'dog eat dog' corporation - only the strong will survive! I guess I was not strong enough.
Direcion needed
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2018
The training and development here needs A LOT of work. There is online "training" that consist of you reading a lot of stuff and acknowledging you read it. It doesn't give you much practical application to really retain the information. The management team is not well trained to manage people they are often times people that were good at their previous position with a desire to be management. They need to work on a managment development program to teach managers how to manage people not processes. There is a difference in thos skill sets that is drastically missing from most of the management team. They also need to work on their policies as they don't have written policies for many things and there for the requirements are incosistent and unclear making it hard to stay engaged. The development of associates doesn't seem to be a proirity and the turnover is very high. It seems that the inconsistency spills over into trying to move up as well as they tell you you have to do one thing to get to the next level and when you do it you still aren't able to move.
Excellent company!
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 31, 2018
Excellent company, yet the life/work balance was very challenging at times due to the assignment/allocation based on study needs. Accountability was higher at some levels versus other levels.
Poor Management
Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 30, 2018
As an intern, I expected to learn a lot about the position that I was in. I learned some things, mostly Excel, but there was no structured training for my position. The drama at this position was ridiculous as well. Lots of he said, she said kind of problems.

Management did not really directly affect me but I saw how it affected the team. With a remote manager there was lacking structure and lots of empty promises.
Pros
Excel Skills
Cons
Management, Low Compensation, Drama, Little Opportunity for Advancement
Amazing place to work
Research Tech (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2018
One of my favorite places I have ever worked. open 24 hours you can make your own schedule. Staff was all amazing. They teach you new skills you can take to other places.
Probably not worth it.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2018
If you are considering applying for a research technician position I would recommend looking elsewhere for a job. The clinic in Austin is poorly managed and has been on a downward trajectory for the past few years. Since this position is per diem there are no guaranteed hours. Occasionally it was possible to work more than 40 hours in a week, but usually it was closer to 20 (and sometimes less). The workload fluctuates with the amount of studies currently in house, which can range from more than a dozen to zero. There is a troubling lack of communication between the departments at the facility which leads to easily avoidable mistakes happening on a regular basis. Advancement to better paying positions is rare and commonly associated with who you're related to. Additionally, raises are almost non existent, and it's common for newly employed technicians to have a higher base salary than experienced technicians. One of the few positives is that the other technicians are genuinely wonderful people. The TC's are also
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
Extremely low pay, irregular work hours, poor upper management, little room for advancement
Great CRO!
Clinical Data Manager (Former Employee) –  remoteAugust 14, 2018
Great company to work for! Management, co-workers, work/life balance, the work itself, advancement opportunities and learning experiences all abound at PPD!
Pros
Management is top-notch
Cons
n/a
Management is failing and employees are unhappy
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 13, 2018
Lack of advancement and lots of empty promises. You are made to do the work of 4 people and paid very poorly. There is no work life balance as most everyone works ridiculously long hours and you are expected to do the same. Your efforts and work ethic go unappreciated and most burn out. I would definitely not recommend this company.
Cons
Management, salary, work/life balance, no employee appreciation
Did not really like working here
Project Cost (Finance) Analyst I/II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 2, 2018
I learned a LOT, about cost analysis, revenue recognition, work performance, invoicing, international project management and cash flow. Not to mention, I can thank this job for my enormous Excel skills. However, for me, the management system was very lacking. A heavy workload, followed by a 'thank you not at all' culture was the norm. Very little ever came back to the Administration folks who really made the place run. Even for those of us who had the many years of experience, we were just told to keep doing the same things over and over, with very little appreciation for how technically complicated management made the place. I wish them well, but I do believe that it is a top down management driven environment, where your paycheck is all you really get.
Pros
Tremendous skill development
Cons
Culture, employee appreciation, employee development, poor management practices towards effective job function execution.
Productive and fun place to work
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJuly 29, 2018
The work culture at PPD was good and enjoyable. The management encouraged training activities for new employees. Also, there were fun activities like potluck, Halloween party, employee picnic and yearly get together etc. to encourage team building and promote healthy work environment. The management is warm and allows flexibility in schedule. You are given adequate responsibility and held accountable for your actions. This allows to grow in our career.
Pros
Potlucks, picnics, flexible schedule, occasional work from home opportunity
Cons
Remuneration and increments
Great place to work overall
Project Management-Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 28, 2018
Unfortunately, I decided to leave PPD after 13 years of service. I wish now I had stayed and am grateful to have had the opportunity to work with some wonderful people. I started as a MIS in the Medical Information Dept, moved up to Sr MIS, then manager. I learned so much and wish PPD all the best.
Ppd
Clinical Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 26, 2018
Managed the execution of clinical operations of project deliverables within contractual timelines and client expectations through all active phases (start up, recruitment, maintenance, and close-out, database lock of a trial).
No room for growth when hired
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJuly 24, 2018
The company has moved to a matrix management which means your growth and opportunity all depends on your supervisor not your skill. Some groups are great others, not so much.
okay
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 20, 2018
not too high stress, not great pay. Lots of ability to work on many different assays and with new technology. Large company and your experience will greatly depend on your supervisor.
Terrible place; lack of training.
Senior Biostatistian (home-based) (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 18, 2018
PPD prided themselves on training. They provided nearly none at all. You need someone to coordinate the onboarding process. You are left to fend for yourself. They said they would train you on writing ADaM specs and that training was on the job and under stress.

I would never work here ever again. PPD was the worst place I ever worked.d
Cons
they wouldn't let you use accumulated PTO. They wanted 6 months notice to use 3 weeks of PTO
Black and White, easy, brainless
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
Black and White, easy, brainless.
Great work schedules.
Wonderful work to help with medicines that can save lives. While servicing stirofoam cups in breakroom. They have a lot of room to grow and find there direction. Many many different teams no teamwork
bad management
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 3, 2018
I always had a problem with payroll. Even after left I am still owed money from them for hours my manager made me work but claimed she didn't know how to put in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPD. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight