PPD Employee Reviews

Overall a very professional environment
HOUSEKEEPING (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2019
A great company to get employment. The staff and workers are also very kind and helpful. A quiet environment and many job opportunities. The management could be better because there were often times when we would run out of supplies but other than that, I enjoyed my experience at PPD.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Crowded and faced paced sometimes
Relaxed and quiet workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 19, 2018
Working at PPD was an enjoyable experience. I was able to learn more about the pharmaceutical industry while gaining training on compliance rules and regulations.
Do not work for PPD
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJDecember 13, 2018
A typical day at work was horrible.
I learned nothing.
Management was horrible.
The workplace culture was horrible
The hardest part of the job was forcing myself to go to work every morning.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being terminated.
If you care about yourself and your family at all, you will not work for PPD.

If you care about yourself and your family at all, you will not work for PPD.
Great place to begin a career.
COMMERCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 12, 2018
Great place to work if you are good at that particular type of work. Management is great as well. Coworkers were great and very helpful. Having strong computer skills (Excel and Word) is very important.
Financial Analyst
Labs Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 7, 2018
I was hired as a contract financial analyst and was later taken on as a full-time employee. At first I had very difficult boss but she was replaced with a great leader from within and my work life balance and the culture was great. Some people worked too many hours for the pay including weekends/vacations etc. but it wasn't required. The company offers good benefits, onsite-gym, holiday parties, convenient downtown location, and allowed me to work remotely as needed. I enjoyed my time at PPD and would recommend it to others.
Pros
Location, people, flexibility
Cons
Slow advancement
Fun place to work, but make sure you're developing your technical skillset
Associate Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 3, 2018
Fun place to work, but make sure you're developing your technical skillset. I would have liked to have more training in the analytics space. Be sure to keep that in mind, depending on what skillset you would want to develop.
Dreadful
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIDecember 1, 2018
Truly awful workplace environment. The management is far removed from the lab staff, it has a dismally-staffed QC department for its workload, and passes its inability to efficiently manage its workload onto its overworked lab staff. It offers few benefits for its employees, and is in the process of taking away what benefits they do offer (gym facilities, weekly lunches, etc). Compensation is meager for lab staff (~40% at my location compared to the national average). As a result, there is a lot of turnover.
Long hours but great pay and great security
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working there. It was a high pressured job and challenging but still enjoyed it. I learned a lot while I was there. I would have stayed but I was asked by the controller of Interroll to come to work for her. She was in need of some help, so I left and went to work for her.
Pros
Great pay, benefits
Cons
hard work
Work place
Group Manager, CDM (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 27, 2018
In the beginning, it was a great place to work for our CEO and I Felt that were were a family that worked together. After awhile they decided to be bought out and it wasn't a great place anymore. And by the time I was ready to leave, they laid off over 600 people.
Pros
it was great for the first 5 years
Cons
But the last years that I was there most of my colleagues werelooking for new jobs a
Medium job
Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 17, 2018
The work place culture is average. There are some good people. The technology isn't bad. PPD tries however to imply the environment is better than it is. The do want good work from employees which is a good thing. The company however doesn't put the same standard on what they give to the employee.s.
Pros
Some good employees
Cons
Bad raises
Very helpful people
SAS CLINICAL PROGRAMER (Former Employee) –  Work from homeNovember 15, 2018
Very nice and productive team. Very much enthusiastic about the companies products and new researches that is done there. People are very transparent who work there.
Learned alot about clinical research
Research Study Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2018
This company definitely prepares you for clinical research. Very good at training and getting you a good foundation for research anywhere. This company is good if you want to get your foot in the door.
It is a good place to start
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2018
No one lasts there for more than 5 years because the compensation is poor, promotions are practically nonexistent, and management does not have any incentive to help their employees. The pay is far lower that the industry average (people at our client were being paid almost double for the same position). Promotions are a 25 cent increase to your pay going up a level. Their corporate policy is that it is the responsibility of the employee to schedule meeting with your manager to talk about career advancement. This becomes a problem when you are trying to take on new responsibilities. They do no want you to because the more you learn the faster you will leave for a better paying job. They only care about when you do something wrong so that they can tell you about it three months later. Because of this, no one wants to get promoted into management and they leave.Other than that it is a nice place to work. Most people are new to the industry so they are fairly young. The work is pretty easy but tedious.
Pros
easy to get a job there, you can learn a lot
Cons
management, no growth opportunities, poor compensation
Competitive Job
Data Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  North LanarkshireNovember 3, 2018
You had pages of medical information to enter. There was a quota that they wanted you to meet, as with most data entry jobs. Was not a bad place to work. The people were great.
Very good employment in the first 20 years at PPD/Pharmaco. Stressful and demanding in the last 10 years, but overall a good job for security.
Compilation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 27, 2018
-Interaction with staff online and working online for at least 8 hours a day.

-Learned a lot about how to interact with clients and other personnel in other departments as that interaction was essential to completion of my job tasks.

-I learned a great deal about self-discipline and patience and timing in working with other staff.

-Management was usually cooperative and helpful.

-One of the hardest aspects of the job was in working via online services and not getting to know other staff members personally (I'd never met many of my co-workers, although I enjoyed working with most of them.)

-The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other staff and seeing the results of a project completed in a timely fashion and getting good comments back from staff and clients both.
Pros
Reliable work that paid better than many similar jobs would have.
Cons
Overtime often required and sometimes resources were difficult to access.
Nurse Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 25, 2018
PPD is a very good place to work. Very good pay and bonuses. There is not a clear delineation of hierarchy. Colleagues with Associates and Doctorate degrees can perform in the same position and can be a little confusing.
Friendly place to work
Director, Operations and Client Relations (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 22, 2018
Great people at PPD. I enjoyed my time there. Served as head of operations and client relations, and directly supported BD activities of Medical Information and Professional Contact Center business unit. Responsible for operating budget and management of business partnerships with over 30 pharmaceutical and bio-tech companies.
Need to mean what they say, and say what they mean.
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 19, 2018
I met some great colleagues while working at PPD. Once the CEO and CFO take a real look into employee satisfaction the company will only continue to lose great talent.
Pros
Great maternity benefits
Cons
Poor training and development, Poor leadership team, No support from Human Resources, Employees do not talk to each other. Poor work-life balance.
Rotating Shift
MEDICAL COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 19, 2018
The rotating shift throws life balance out of whack, and is hard to have a life out of work. Also if someone calls out it can throw the schedule off for weeks.
Pros
job security
Cons
rotating shift
Not terrible
Drug Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 18, 2018
Biggest issue was micromanaging. Work life balance was decent. Management was ok, a little unrealistic at times. Job security, good learning. Interesting oppoertunity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPD. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PPD.

Powered by Comparably