PPD Employee Reviews

Learned alot about clinical research
Research Study Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2018
This company definitely prepares you for clinical research. Very good at training and getting you a good foundation for research anywhere. This company is good if you want to get your foot in the door.
It is a good place to start
Assistant Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2018
No one lasts there for more than 5 years because the compensation is poor, promotions are practically nonexistent, and management does not have any incentive to help their employees. The pay is far lower that the industry average (people at our client were being paid almost double for the same position). Promotions are a 25 cent increase to your pay going up a level. Their corporate policy is that it is the responsibility of the employee to schedule meeting with your manager to talk about career advancement. This becomes a problem when you are trying to take on new responsibilities. They do no want you to because the more you learn the faster you will leave for a better paying job. They only care about when you do something wrong so that they can tell you about it three months later. Because of this, no one wants to get promoted into management and they leave.Other than that it is a nice place to work. Most people are new to the industry so they are fairly young. The work is pretty easy but tedious.
Pros
easy to get a job there, you can learn a lot
Cons
management, no growth opportunities, poor compensation
Competitive Job
Data Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  North LanarkshireNovember 3, 2018
You had pages of medical information to enter. There was a quota that they wanted you to meet, as with most data entry jobs. Was not a bad place to work. The people were great.
Very good employment in the first 20 years at PPD/Pharmaco. Stressful and demanding in the last 10 years, but overall a good job for security.
Compilation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 27, 2018
-Interaction with staff online and working online for at least 8 hours a day.

-Learned a lot about how to interact with clients and other personnel in other departments as that interaction was essential to completion of my job tasks.

-I learned a great deal about self-discipline and patience and timing in working with other staff.

-Management was usually cooperative and helpful.

-One of the hardest aspects of the job was in working via online services and not getting to know other staff members personally (I'd never met many of my co-workers, although I enjoyed working with most of them.)

-The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other staff and seeing the results of a project completed in a timely fashion and getting good comments back from staff and clients both.
Pros
Reliable work that paid better than many similar jobs would have.
Cons
Overtime often required and sometimes resources were difficult to access.
Nurse Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 25, 2018
PPD is a very good place to work. Very good pay and bonuses. There is not a clear delineation of hierarchy. Colleagues with Associates and Doctorate degrees can perform in the same position and can be a little confusing.
Friendly place to work
Director, Operations and Client Relations (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 22, 2018
Great people at PPD. I enjoyed my time there. Served as head of operations and client relations, and directly supported BD activities of Medical Information and Professional Contact Center business unit. Responsible for operating budget and management of business partnerships with over 30 pharmaceutical and bio-tech companies.
Need to mean what they say, and say what they mean.
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 19, 2018
I met some great colleagues while working at PPD. Once the CEO and CFO take a real look into employee satisfaction the company will only continue to lose great talent.
Pros
Great maternity benefits
Cons
Poor training and development, Poor leadership team, No support from Human Resources, Employees do not talk to each other. Poor work-life balance.
Rotating Shift
MEDICAL COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 19, 2018
The rotating shift throws life balance out of whack, and is hard to have a life out of work. Also if someone calls out it can throw the schedule off for weeks.
Pros
job security
Cons
rotating shift
Not terrible
Drug Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 18, 2018
Biggest issue was micromanaging. Work life balance was decent. Management was ok, a little unrealistic at times. Job security, good learning. Interesting oppoertunity
Productive Work Environment to Constantly Learn
Consultant Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCOctober 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at PPD. I always felt that I contributed to my team's achievements, and was rewarded for hard work. You were always able to learn something new, and If I relocated to the area again, I would seek employment with PPD.
Pros
Great team work atmosphere, strong management, ability to advance
Cons
short lunch breaks
Scientist (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 5, 2018
PPD was a great place to work. Constant growth, change, and upward momentum. Working for this company has helped develop my professional business skills.
Run Away Screaming
Quality (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIOctober 4, 2018
Some of PPD's greatest hits of 2018:

- Dissolution of the quality control department.
- Discontinuation of the company parties and events.
- Reduction of rolled-over PTO from 4 weeks to 2 weeks.
- Implementation of an emergency communication system AFTER there was a workplace shooting down the road.
- Implementation of a "suggestion box" to combat poor retention, only to be unmanned and ignored a couple of months later.
- Silenced exits of a director and managers.
- Ran out of parking spots and refused to implement any bike or bus commuter benefits.
- Expected employees to drive into work after damaging floods that made national news.
- A mandatory raise for the lab to combat poor retention, which either shows how little the lab was getting paid or how little the company values all of the other departments.

The overall message that the executives send to the employees is this:

- You are dispensable and what you think doesn't matter.

The previous VP cared about her employees. We all knew we had low pay compared to other pharma companies in the area, but we accepted it because of the company culture and flexibility.

Fast forward to the end of 2018 and PPD has grown extensively, but at the expense of the employees.

Entire departments are dissolved on a whim with almost no warning. Good managers, who were well-liked and respected, are let go without any announcement or acknowledgement of the contributions, despite being part of the company for over a decade. They're not even allowed to send a goodbye email to their direct reports.

Other good employees
  more... are hitting the exits like there's a fire. Even when people are content with the culture, they end up leaving for better pay, better benefits, or a higher position. Expect pay increases that are at or below COLA. Expect the employee's share of costs to significantly increase each year during open enrollment. Expect external applicants to be hired over internal promotion.

If quality assurance wasn't required by regulators, it would be interesting to see if PPD would even keep that department.

So who should apply to PPD? Probably anyone who can't get a job anywhere else. I'm serious.
Pros
doughnut once a month
Cons
draining culture, low pay
Horrible planning and misleading in job descriptions
Sample coordinator (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIOctober 3, 2018
I am responsible for doing the stability pull schedule as well as the verification report on pulls that were done everyday. I do pulls myself. I do inventory of walk-on chambers and reach-in chambers of all temperatures. I also help label and verify samples for stability launches. In constant contact with anaylysts.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
very physical and stressful
A very decent company
Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  work from homeSeptember 20, 2018
good work culture, friendly colleagues, hold regular get together social and professional meetings for work from home staffs. good training programs and lots of learning and training opportunities for career advancement
Good Company
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 17, 2018
Highly rated for the Wilmington area. Great experience with a major corporation for UNCW graduates. Work/Life balance depends on the department. Good at motivating employees.
Easy Job, a bit of drama
Research Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 14, 2018
The managers don't seem to get along, but the lab techs have a nice friendly culture.
Its a nice job for a college student because the hours are so flexible, but if you're not full time, you're per diem, and the work isn't always completely steady.
Once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty easy job to do, and you get a lot of down time.
Pros
Flexible hours, Lots of downtime = long breaks
Cons
Got a little bit of workplace drama
I am sorry I went to PPD!
Principal Clinilcal Data Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 14, 2018
My manager and I did not see eye to eye on anything. I was very honest when i interviewed with the company, but once they got me, the expectations were changed. This is a 'dog eat dog' corporation - only the strong will survive! I guess I was not strong enough.
Direcion needed
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2018
The training and development here needs A LOT of work. There is online "training" that consist of you reading a lot of stuff and acknowledging you read it. It doesn't give you much practical application to really retain the information. The management team is not well trained to manage people they are often times people that were good at their previous position with a desire to be management. They need to work on a managment development program to teach managers how to manage people not processes. There is a difference in thos skill sets that is drastically missing from most of the management team. They also need to work on their policies as they don't have written policies for many things and there for the requirements are incosistent and unclear making it hard to stay engaged. The development of associates doesn't seem to be a proirity and the turnover is very high. It seems that the inconsistency spills over into trying to move up as well as they tell you you have to do one thing to get to the next level and when you do it you still aren't able to move.
Excellent company!
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 31, 2018
Excellent company, yet the life/work balance was very challenging at times due to the assignment/allocation based on study needs. Accountability was higher at some levels versus other levels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPD. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at PPD.

Powered by Comparably