PPD Employee Reviews

Black and White, easy, brainless
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
Black and White, easy, brainless.
Great work schedules.
Wonderful work to help with medicines that can save lives. While servicing stirofoam cups in breakroom. They have a lot of room to grow and find there direction. Many many different teams no teamwork
bad management
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 3, 2018
I always had a problem with payroll. Even after left I am still owed money from them for hours my manager made me work but claimed she didn't know how to put in.
Depends on the Department
Manager MedComm (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 1, 2018
There are some great departments at this company and leaders and you are fortunate if you end working with them; great mentoring experiences in these situations.
Excellent place to work
Consultant Nurse for med comm (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 30, 2018
I’m a fairly new nurse consultant, but the training is amazing and the staff definitely work as a Team!

I am excited about the opportunity to be part of this great team, and most of all helping patients.

Remember, helping patients does not necessarily mean you must have direct hands on care. We provide excellent nursing services each day, and to me helping people in this way is very rewarding.
Pros
Benefits, excellent team work
Cons
Not a lot of flexibility in the day to move around
Great Pay Equals Poor Work Life Balance
Clinical Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Wendell, NCJune 15, 2018
Training and Onboarding was Inefficient and not Suitable for the Various Roles a the company. The salary was competitive, but the high levels of stress felt throughout the company was unreasonable. Often times employees worked more than 50 hours per week and it began to become the expectation that everyone work this way. Many employees are home-based, which is great until you are expected to work the weekends as well as late evenings.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work Life Balance and Expectation to Work The Weekends Because Everyone Else Does It All The Time.
Great place to start a career
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJune 14, 2018
Great work/life balance. Amazing company culture. CRO industry can have high volumes of work. Sometimes to be allocated to one person but at least 2 people could ensure task completion occurs and is of quality and on time.
There are better chemistry places in Madison
Quality Control/Quality Assurance Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJune 1, 2018
Working at PPD was okay. I do not have a lot of good things to say, but not a lot of bad things. One negative is the work life there has become a bit too strict which stresses employees out more.
Encourages growth, with less pay.
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 29, 2018
The pay is a decreased total when working here, but the balance of work and life stack very well with their promotion of current employees. If you’re willing to put in the work, learn the skills, and apply them honestly, then you’re guaranteed taking steps upwards. I foresee this being great for lateral growth to higher paying positions in other companies in the distant future, but for now it is a slight bummer that is overwhelmingly small compared to my overall career’s growth.
Pros
Pto, balance
Cons
Overall Pay
Racist, sexist, toxic culture
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 22, 2018
I've seen a total of three African American employees at PPD, one a janitor. This company is a toxic, hostile workplace where white men and their colossal egos rule. My first clue was the warning my predecessor gave me that this company is full of mean, nasty and petty people all out for themselves. This has been my experience as well.
Pros
Noble mission
Cons
Toxic, racist, sexist culture
Lots of promises, poor execution
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
Listen, I know no job is perfect but the amount of promises that were being made to me about my salary is ridiculous. I wish I would've seen this earlier. I made less money than anyone I trained. The promise of new job positions being opened for seasoned workers was never been brought up again. I was verbally abused by workers in other departments and by the subjects every week. I can cry out for help but it just kept happening. How is that helping me? What's going to change? If motions to change were happening, I couldn't see them. I was left in the dark fighting my own battles.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of hours and chances for raises
Nice place to work
Biostatistician (Current Employee) –  Work from homeMay 18, 2018
Nice place to work. Colleagues are professionals and work together toward common goal. Life-work balance is good. Need extra care for yourself since stress level can be high at times.
Working at PPD
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 15, 2018
Hardest part of the job is due to little to no training in place at hire. I did learn how to write from protocol to specification. Workplace culture is every man for himself. Management is out of touch with workers and implement changes without proper rollout plans. Little formality, and numerous changes in process.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No training and workload
A carrot on a stick
Associate Lead Quality Investigator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 10, 2018
Management will fill your head with the prospects of advancement so you work harder and then come up with excuses to not advance you.
Lots of work for little pay.
Disorganized management that operates on a buddy system.
Dog eat dog and every man for himself after initial onboarding training. They will throw you into work with no training and do not offer solutions when you ask for help.
Entry level associates are blamed for big problems outside of their control. Instead of solving issues they play the blame game.
Demoralizing culture.
Pros
Cons
Little pay for lots of work
Average CRO
SR IGC MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2018
PPD pay usually is lower than many of their competitors. They currently give very poor raises to support personnel. That said, there are some very good opportunities to learn and become better at what you do or get other opportunities that may further your career.
Pros
Working remotely is very possible
Cons
Poor performance raises
OK Place to work. No work life balance. No room for career advancement
Medical Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYMay 9, 2018
OK Place to work. No work life balance. No room for career advancement. A lot of Nepatisim and bulling to get you believe their ways and view points. A lot of retaliation
Pros
Job Security
Cons
o work life balance. No room for career advancement
It's a job
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAMay 8, 2018
PPD is probably one of the best contractors in the greater Philly area in the pharma industry. I could have a worse job, but the management leaves a lot to be desired. They have some difficulty managing their contracts as well.
Ok; Good starter job
Scientist, IHC (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 7, 2018
Good starter job. Routine unless you choose to make something of it. Management is not proactive, but plenty of room to make changes if you're motivated!
Lack of incentive
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 24, 2018
I throughly enjoy working at PPD. I love our mission, my coworkers, the environment, unfortunately, there is a lack of advancement or incentive to do well.
Low compensation compared to other companies
Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIApril 18, 2018
Most people use PPD as a stepping stone post college. You can get trained on a lot of techniques. The manager you get and the building you get placed in will make all the difference. Some managers are strict, some relaxed. Some make you run the same tests over and over, some train you on everything. Some groups have heavy workloads, some light sometimes. Raises and promotions are based on timelines NOT merit. This is a huge corporation, your opinions won't matter. High turnover rate because of compensation. The people that work there are great! Work life balance is awesome. If you need to you can work from home once and a while. Some days you need to work overtime to finish work. Overtime is mostly optional and not limited if manager allows.
Pros
Flexibility, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Low compensation, Promotions
PPD can be cut throat
Pharmaceutical Product Development (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 15, 2018
I have worked for PPD on 2 seperate occasions. I was in Finance for several years, then transfered out and came back to another department, which is very common...to leave Finance for another dept. Finance was challenging, with bullys in management, a total lack of professional respect or courtesy from many, management favors rude and confrontational people for management positions as well as dept gossips being promoted to management. The culture was simply all wrong. While work load played a significant role in overall departmental stress, the culture of the department as detailed above ultimately maintains an unhealthy environment from which excessive work load simply overwhelms the best of analysts. I have been out of that group for years now, things seem to have improved but overall that dept is unplesant and cut throat, even in the view of others once favored by management.
I have returned to another department to find better management, but challenges in this role are reporting to 2 managers. One of these managers seems to be holding me back, willfully refusing to give the information needed to perform my duties. So, I am regularly forced to go up the chain to get what I need, and the manager that refused acts as if they didn't understand the request, every time.
Pros
Paid time off, job security, some managers are outstanding
Cons
Good Managers are not standard, Lack of back up to take time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPD. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss