PPG Industries Employee Reviews

Found 785 reviews matching the search See all 1,048 reviews
Unproductive
Reactor operator (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Lack of supervision.
Lack of pm maintenance causing breakdowns.
Running out of raw materials to keep production going.
He department is not very helpful.
Not a positive enviroment. Very Stressful. No raises
CORPORATE STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILSeptember 19, 2018
PPG does not give annual raises and their Bonus program is very difficult to achieve. They do not fully trust their Store Managers to make decisions necessary to accomplish set goals. All too often the goals set are not carefully reviewed, planned or thought out which allows for them to be unreasonable. The stores are always understaffed making the enviroment very stressful. Although every business's goal is to make a profit, the lengths they are willing to go to achieve this can portray a lack of integrity and honesty.
Cons
Financial compensation
Poor management
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock,ArkansasSeptember 18, 2018
Poor management , poor working environment, high employee turnover, dangerous place to work, pay was good and benefits were good, equipment old and outdated
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor working environment
It was a fun place to work.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 17, 2018
1. Worked 8-10 hours Monday through Friday. Worked Saturdays to support the manufacturing facility.

2. I typically learned three different inventory system. Went through three software conversions.

3.Mangement was very strong from my direct manger to the logistics director.

4. We were very safety oriented. Conducted monthly individual safety inspection. Reviewed safety incidents with our workforce from PPG locations all over the world.

5. When individuals outside of our would make demands of us and these people didn't know anything about logistics. Warehouse Management would come up with the plan to take of the customer and execute to the satisfaction of the customer.

6. I thoroughly enjoyed the people working for me. We would execute the daily plan and set up for the next shift. Tried to make the exchange between shifts easy.
Products
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Huron, OHSeptember 16, 2018
I learned a lot will working for PPG learn how drive a order picker in work with a computer when they load your scanner up with orders in communication with a walking talk learn how go from big order to little when you build your pallet
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Short break
A road to working class poor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2018
With such a huge global presence at first glance PPG seems like an opportunity to advance a career, but within a few months you'll realize you've been indexed. Unless you're buddies with the right people, you're not going anywhere no matter how good you are. Furthermore, they hire outside more than inside for management and the higher pay positions: usually someone the management knew or a place they worked. I have a college degree, many years of customer and sales experience and still couldn't advance by working diligent and asking for the advancement. The company pays so little that it's hard for even a store manager (also over worked at 12 hr days) to survive on the salary. The equipment and stores are so dated and needing repair that you'll need to work around it because the management is reluctant to replace or repair it. Stores are run with as minimal employees as humanly possible (1-3 per store average) which means you will be swamped and overworked making the little pay not worth it: especially when you are worried about covering your monthly basic bills. If someone calls in, you're in for a rough day. Despite being constantly praised for good work I was paid .24 cents for my one and only raise in a year ($12.24/hr). Advancement to make higher pay is also kept slow. You'll find you can take a test to make a .50 cent raise, but you can't take the next test (.50 cents) for 6 months. If you don't pass the test, you can't take it again. You'll be asked/demanded to cover shifts at a store far away from you costing more for the gas than you can afford: this can happen mid-shift  more... costing even more. If you work incredibly hard, keep the store clean and well stocked, expect the general manager to still find something wrong. The salespeople do not create value, instead they sell cheap, at cost and in bulk. That means you'll be exhausted trying to make 3 pallets of paint (1 pallet 36 - 5 gallon buckets) to equal the dollar amount of 1 pallet of paint. Managers are always stressing on meeting the absorbent monthly goal, which increase every year, so expect to be slammed with tons of heavy, dirty work that will leave you exhausted and sore at the end of the day. Multi-tasking is at a level that will test most people at some point. Expect to be handling customers, while tinting, shaking and stacking a pallet of paint, while answering the phone to take more orders while load/unloading a truck, while matching a color, while searching on the computer. This is recipe for an accident so expect to make mistakes, spill paint, break something etc. Their computer system software is needlessly complicated and poorly written: you will find yourself typing your password many times over and over again; getting your order wiped clean for clicking the wrong thing and spending a lot of time just doing simple tasks. I have worked at 6 of the stores in my region and talked to other store in other states for a possible transfer: these are companywide problems and there are even worse situations at other stores. Transfers to another place where the cost of living is lower just means lower pay.

One good thing I did find is they are so desperate for employees that it's nearly impossible to be fired for making mistakes: even costly ones. Even employees who are lazy, unreliable, accident prone and otherwise terrible at their jobs remain employed for years here. However, most people were fun to work with: that's mostly why I stayed a year. One thing to think about if you work there: The people who have the cleanest clothes (no paint/dirt) do the least work and cause most of the trouble for everyone. Another gem: if you decide to still work here and they make you a low offer, don't take it thinking you'll make it up on advancement you will absolutely not! Insist on pay that you can survive on. I went in asking $15/hr they offered $12 and I took it because I wanted to get out of my other paint job and I wanted to work my way into sales. Later, I found others with no job experience (at any job) and bad work ethics got $14/hr. Ask for the money or just don't take the job.
Pros
Fun people, job security
Cons
Low pay, incredible workloads, poor management, no advancement
Ppg
Manager Tier I (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 14, 2018
Great Company and culture but pays on the low end of the industry, while demanding similar work commitments. management quality is sporadic based on location.
Productive work environment.
Maintenance mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 12, 2018
You will start your shift with simple pass on from previous shift. Teams usually have some a lead or coordinator to establish daily goals. The management is participative. The workers have a lot of buy in on rate of work etc. Its an environment that has a lot of ownership types positions. You can make your day what you want as long as the daily schedule is adhered to. Safety is a major focus along with self supervision. Overall PPG industries is a great company to grow with and advance.
Pros
Pay and advancement
Cons
schedule adherence
Stay away unless u like prisons
Team Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IASeptember 10, 2018
A lot of drama and a lot of stress Understaffed and overworked and underpaid rules don’t apply to everyone Just to Some This company Is dis organized disfuctional There’s no On hands training watch a video take a quiz pass your ready get on the line On this job you don’t just get paid for the one you’re doing Do you have to do whatever other job that they might need you on besides your own and still only get that one pad
Pros
Cons
Slave drivers underpaid high turnovers revolving doors
Pulled contract with endow with no warning
Quality (Former Employee) –  Sycamore ilSeptember 9, 2018
Pay discrepancies for same job same work. Horrible management. They pulled contract with vendor with no warning so we were out of work. Did not pay me for final day of work. We were all notified by text contract was pulled. STAY AWAY!!!
Pros
Nice Co workers
Cons
Terrible pay poor management pay discrepencies
Employees are undervalued asset
Production Technician/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tipton, PASeptember 9, 2018
Literally do not want you to stay. They rotate your shift, tons of overtime, low pay, less than 1 percent chance advancement. managers that do what they need to do. Not a career this is a gap filler.
Pros
Paid Lunches
Cons
turnover
Stressful work environment
Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 6, 2018
This place is crazy, 12 hour work shifts and 6 day work weeks, only to be looked over and under appreciated by managers and above. Pay is good thats the only compelling thing.
Great Company!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OH 44149August 28, 2018
Worked for the Global Vice President and leadership team. Work environment is positive with an emphasis on diversity and driving change. Not a lot of career advancement opportunities.
Benefits
Cons
Career Advancement
Productive, Self motivated,
Technical Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALAugust 27, 2018
Half of the job position is data collection and the other half is data entry work. I worked seond shift alone so I was self organized as long as I completed my weekly requirements.
Pros
Overtime Available
Cons
In maintenance if I ran into a problem somebody would always come help me
Process Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 23, 2018
I would work there again if I had a chance to and also if I could get a little bit more of a pay increase. I'm maintenance supervisor the time was amazing and extremely kind to me as well as my fellow co-worker.
Pros
not always too busy.
Cons
if you breathe the wrong type of chemicals they can harm you permanently.
A good place to work
DD Forming (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCAugust 22, 2018
I liked the people there. I had a good work record. I'm always willing to learn new things. It was the first place I have ever worked at that had Church on Sunday mornings. I was there. I didn't like the rotating shifts and the wet fiber glass that would break and get all over you. They would reward you and the plant for different things. They fed us and the plant for different things. I didn't like weekends but I was there. You could work a lot of overtime. Had to drive along ways and that was hard when I worked nights trying to make it home in the mornings. But I got all my bills paid off except my car. I am thankful.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits.
Cons
Short breaks and long walks to the breakrooms and to the job.
Solid work
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Adrian, MIAugust 22, 2018
You will work many hours. PPG is a vendor for 7 different major automobile producers. Product demand is high. Good management and good people. PPG supplies work boots and uniforms. Good mix of management styles and helpful people.
Pros
Benefits and overtime.
Cons
Mandatory overtime.
Fun place, slightly stressful but the managers want you to succeed
Service Analyst ll (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 22, 2018
I was summer help, an intern/contractor so I did not get the same pay and benefits as everyone else. Work was nice though, everyone there is helpful because they all started out in the same position you are hired at. The managers want you to succeed. Great place to work. Have to deal with users. Sometimes these range from actually difficult issues to people not knowing basic IT ideas, which is sometimes difficult to discern over the phone but is rewarding once resolved.
Pros
Downtime between calls
Cons
Frustrated/uninformed users
very proActive Meetings
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2018
fair open communication with manage,
support when decisions need to negotiate pricing for commercial painters.
Store support for a residential contractors.
Pros
great meetings
Cons
little support
Challenging job responsibilities, promotion available.
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 21, 2018
PPG is a challenging company to work for. Goals are realistic and opportunities for advancement exist. But you have to be up for the challenge, They do not give anything away just because you've been with the company. Friendly co-workers, and are willing to help if you need it.
Pros
Challenging career... never a dull moment.
Cons
Large company, you can get lost in the shuffle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PPG Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight